• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Madrid camino in August 2022

staucher

Camino junky
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Via de la Plata
Portuguese
Primitivo
Hello all,

I'm planning to walk the Madrid Camino starting on August 24. Last year, when I walked the Primitivo, I learned the hard way that I had to follow the seashells on the pavement in Oviedo, as there were no arrows painted on walls. How well marked is the Madrid Camino starting at the cathedral?

I'm tempted to deviate onto the Via de la Plata (via Zamora) and then the Sanabres to avoid some of the traffic of the French camino. With so many pilgrims reserving their beds nowadays, I had a few close calls on the Primitivo with albergues almost filled up even though I was the first person to arrive.....Last year, I heard some stories of pilgrims becoming discouraged and giving up on the French Camino due to a lack of albergues. Not sure how much truth there is to these rumors. I'm trying to decide whether to walk to Sahagun and then the French camino all the way to Santiago, or the alternate path via Zamora.....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How well marked is the Madrid Camino starting at the cathedral?
Hi, @staucher, you must love walking in the heat, because this camino will be very hot in August!

The Camino de Madrid doesn’t start at the Cathedral in Madrid. The arrows start at the Plaza de Castilla. If you go to the Santiago Church for your credential and/or blessing, there are many ways to get from there up to the Plaza Castilla. Most tracks and guides suggest that you walk along the Calle Bravo Murillo, which is very busy. I have laid out a couple of nicer walking alternatives, using google maps, and have attached screen shots in this thread. It’s post number 17 in a very long crowd-sourced detailed planning thread on the Camino de Madrid (done by a group of forum members while we were in confinement, it should be helpful).

From Plaza de Castilla, the arrows take you very quickly out of Madrid — no industry, no busy roads. When you cross under the circular M-40 highway, you are out in undeveloped country with views back to the city.

Thanks for the good info! I know that Madrid can get very hot in the summer, but hopefully the weather will not be too extreme at the end of August. What's the water point situation on the Madrid Camino? I walked the Via de la Plata a few years ago, and Andalucia was bone dry with few fuentes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the good info! I know that Madrid can get very hot in the summer, but hopefully the weather will not be too extreme at the end of August. What's the water point situation on the Madrid Camino? I walked the Via de la Plata a few years ago, and Andalucia was bone dry with few fuentes.
Unless it is a strange summer Madrid will be quite hot, even for me (I've walked the Via de la Plata and the Levante in July).

Do pick up your Credencial at Iglesia San Juan Bautista and your first stamp then follow one of Laurie's routes. I did just that and had no problem although I don't remember which one I took.

IMHO it is a nice stroll and an easy walk to Tres Cantos if you're staying there. I got off the plane that morning, took the metro to the Iglesia and off I went. It was very doable.

I don't recall the fuente situation but it is definitely not like on the Francés.

Hello all,

I'm planning to walk the Madrid Camino starting on August 24. Last year, when I walked the Primitivo, I learned the hard way that I had to follow the seashells on the pavement in Oviedo, as there were no arrows painted on walls. How well marked is the Madrid Camino starting at the cathedral?

I'm tempted to deviate onto the Via de la Plata (via Zamora) and then the Sanabres to avoid some of the traffic of the French camino. With so many pilgrims reserving their beds nowadays, I had a few close calls on the Primitivo with albergues almost filled up even though I was the first person to arrive.....Last year, I heard some stories of pilgrims becoming discouraged and giving up on the French Camino due to a lack of albergues. Not sure how much truth there is to these rumors. I'm trying to decide whether to walk to Sahagun and then the French camino all the way to Santiago, or the alternate path via Zamora.....
I started my Madrid Camino downtown at the Plazuela de Santiago at one of the oldest churches in Madrid where, facing the buiding (it's pink and impossible to miss in the little square!) if you look on the right hand side, you'll find your first yellow arrow. I found the route out of the city to be fairly well marked, but I had a decent map to the Plaza Castillo anyhow, so I wasn't concerned. I absolutely loved my experience walking the Madrid, but next time I will most certainly avoid going as far as Sahagun. Falling in with the crowds on the Frances was very difficult after the beautiful silence and solitude of the Madrid. Buen Camino!

I am on the Madrid now, and have found water in many of the small towns (some with several fuentes but nothing else), but also some towns where I don’t see any working fountains. I am not pressing my luck, bringing plenty with me each day to get to the end of my walk. There are also stretches where you aren’t going through any towns for most of the walk.

I couldn’t find the arrows in the Plaza Castilla, even with the directions to look just north of the Rodilla sandwich shop, but once the Camino turned left off of that street, I’ve found everything very well marked!

I’m worried about what it will feel like to run into a river of pilgrims in Sahagun, but I feel like for me I need to embrace it as part of this first Camino experience. If it is too overwhelming I will jump back off the Frances to another route.

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all,

We did a lot of research and concluded that we would die on the meseta of the Camino Madrid if we walked before September 15. That's when we started and it turned out to be in some respects our favorite camino. So many memories we keep turning back to. I also recommend that you go by the church of Santiago in Madrid to get a credential and stamp. A true memento, and the priest in the sacristy is wonderful. But then, rather than walk from there, take the train or bus about 25 kms out of town. It's all city until then. After that, it's delightful.

Is that the Real Iglesia de Santiago at Plaza del Biombo that you are talking about?
Where can I find info on when stamps are available?
Starting the Camino Madrid to Sahagun on June 10th.
Larry OHeron

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I too am a huge fan of the Camino de Madrid. As others have said - August, yikes! We left Madrid on 10 September. That was hot enough. Some stages with no food or water in between. The planning thread that @peregrina2000 directed you to has lots of information. Fabulous path! Well marked. Best wishes.

Hello all,

It’s pretty good; but not at the level of the C.Frances. All the major junctions are marked. The only part where I slightly lost my way was in the woods before Cercedilla.

It’s surprising how quickly you get into open countryside when leaving Madrid.

Thanks for the input, everyone! Madrid Camino will be #5 for me.

I am on the Madrid now, and have found water in many of the small towns (some with several fuentes but nothing else), but also some towns where I don’t see any working fountains. I am not pressing my luck, bringing plenty with me each day to get to the end of my walk. There are also stretches where you aren’t going through any towns for most of the walk.

I couldn’t find the arrows in the Plaza Castilla, even with the directions to look just north of the Rodilla sandwich shop, but once the Camino turned left off of that street, I’ve found everything very well marked!

I’m worried about what it will feel like to run into a river of pilgrims in Sahagun, but I feel like for me I need to embrace it as part of this first Camino experience. If it is too overwhelming I will jump back off the Frances to another route.

Buen camino!
Excellent point. I replied to the recent thread about water saying that not much was needed in our experience along the Camino Frances because of frequent fuentes and cafes. And water is heavy. I did note that I was NOT referring to other caminos...only the Frances. We carried more water on the Madrid than any other camino we have walked. Even in late September, it can get hot in certain stretches which are quite long between villages. One village we stopped at had all the cafes closed because there was a fiesta in a neighboring village! And no fountains. We did our poor peregrino routine and an elderly gentlemen took us to his place to rehydrate. No camino compares to Madrid when it comes to your dependence on the graciousness of villagers. And no camino compares to how gracious, kind and hospitable the villagers are. That is our most vivid memory of this camino, one we cherish.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.