• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking The Meseta in Late October .. what shoes to wear?

Rebecca Pappa

Next Camino The Meseta October 2019
Time of past OR future Camino
St. Jean Pied de Port to Los Arcos (past 6/16)Los Arcos- Burgos (Past 9/17) Burgos-Leon October 2019
Hi All,

I have been doing the Camino in Stages, and will be walking from Burgos to Leon in mid October. I am curious if anyone has done this leg in trainers or sneakers opposed to hiking boots or shoes? Any suggestions are happily welcome!

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Rebecca and welcome 🙏🏻

@davebugg is our resident expert on all things relating to feet ... and a lot more besides 🙂

He has many ‘postings’ that cover all you need to know.
You could try the Search link (above left) for him ... or for ‘footwear’.

Buen Camino!
Thank you so very much ! Will do!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This Sept/Oct I'm walking from Logrono to Leon once more.... Probably be the last hurrah for my much-loved Merrill Moab Ventilators, sigh... And would they be called 'trainers', sneakers, or shoes? I don't rightly know! But I'll miss 'em when they're gone. They never let me down.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have been doing the Camino in Stages, and will be walking from Burgos to Leon in mid October. I am curious if anyone has done this leg in trainers or sneakers opposed to hiking boots or shoes? Any suggestions are happily welcome!

Personally, I wouldn't wear hiking boots on any part of the Camino. Trail runners were great on my first two Caminos and sandals were even better on the second two.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Rebecca, I will be out there about the same time in Altra Timps, being among those who have made the conversion from boots to trail shoes. The Timps, which I wore last fall on the Aragones, provide comfortable cushioning and good stability. I do use an aftermarket insole for extra arch and metatarsal support.

Last edited:
Hello Rebecca, I will be out there about the same time in Altra Timps being among those who have made the conversion to trail shoes. The Timps, which I wore last fall on the Aragones, provided comfortable cushioning and good stability. I do use an aftermarket insole for arch and metatarsal support.
Thank you very much!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi All,

Trail runners (Keens Versago) or shoes (Keens Oakridge) for me....

The latter has a stiffer sole if roughness of the pathway is an issue...

Hi @Rebecca Pappa

Sounds like a lot of us will be on the Meseta in October :).

I'll most likely be wearing Keen Arroyos which served me well on my last camino and are sort of a halfway house between between a sandal and a shoe with a closed toe box and heel and relatively small holes elsewhere. There's an element of risk to this if the weather is particularly bad but average daysof and amounts of rain are not much worse than May so I'll take my chances.

So if I were considering terrain alone I would say definitely don't wear a boot, only potentially bad weather would give me pause for thought.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walking wise this is the easiest part of the Camino. The camino is mostly flat. Trail runners are fine.

Hi @Rebecca Pappa

Sounds like a lot of us will be on the Meseta in October :).

I'll most likely be wearing Keen Arroyos which served me well on my last camino and are sort of a halfway house between between a sandal and a shoe with a closed toe box and heel and relatively small holes elsewhere. There's an element of risk to this if the weather is particularly bad but average daysof and amounts of rain are not much worse than May so I'll take my chances.

So if I were considering terrain alone I would say definitely don't wear a boot, only potentially bad weather would give me pause for thought.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Thank you very much. Buen Camino to you as well!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wear men's TEVA kamik hiking shoes (nice big toe box, mush sole, and waterproof (sort of)). I also wear TEVA sandals with mush sole in the albergue. --

I and a walking buddy walked the CF from 2 October to 10 November, 2016. I wore regular light weight hiking books and my hiking buddy (female, 68), wore hiking sandals with wool socks. That was her second CF wearing sandals without a problem.

Hi All,

Hi Rebecca
I walked it last October as part of the CF. Wore Hanwag low cut hi tech walking shoes. Very comfortable and waterproof. It’s a German brand that can be resoled. So unless you have a really heavy pack that’s what I would recommend.
Buen Camino
Happymark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The meseta is very well-trodden, as mentioned above. However, I will offer a personal observation from my experience on the meseta in the wet Spring of 2013: The usually hard-baked clay path was often in many long sections a sea of well-churned, ankle-deep puddles and mud; there was no escaping it as even the new paths blazed by squeamish pilgrims along the border of the neighbouring fields were similarly boggy. At days-end you had filthy trousers and boots, and in my case only semi-saturated feet due to the Goretex lining. I would not liked to have tackled it wearing sandals or runners. However, I have not observed such conditions on subsequent caminos so maybe those conditions were exceptional. Something to consider, at any rate.

I would not liked to have tackled it wearing sandals or runners.
I have walked in ankle deep mud in sandals, and it was definitely better than wearing shoes. So much easier to clean and faster to dry. I now have waterproof socks, so even better in the rain and mud.

I have walked in ankle deep mud in sandals, and it was definitely better than wearing shoes. So much easier to clean and faster to dry. I now have waterproof socks, so even better in the rain and mud.
Waterproof socks sound like a marvellous innovation. You wore them with sandals?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Waterproof socks sound like a marvellous innovation. You wore them with sandals?
I only needed them one day this year. They did keep my feet nice and dry, though they aren't as comfortable as my other socks. Last year when I walked in the mud I just had regular socks.

Last year I brought waterproof socks as a last minute addition to my gear. Also, I initially walked in Vasque boots, but changed to Teva sandals in Pamplona. My waterproof socks over my Injinji socks worked perfectly in the rain and the snow. My feet never got cold or wet! Here is my Sealskinz and Tevas combo:61004

I've walked all my caminos in sandals in all seasons, even with snow. Invariably I am told I am wearing the wrong shoes. Walk in whatever is most comfortable for you. There are no rules. I may well be walking it in October. In sandals - Decathlon's cheapest, good for 2000km.
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The meseta is very well-trodden, as mentioned above. However, I will offer a personal observation from my experience on the meseta in the wet Spring of 2013: The usually hard-baked clay path was often in many long sections a sea of well-churned, ankle-deep puddles and mud; there was no escaping it as even the new paths blazed by squeamish pilgrims along the border of the neighbouring fields were similarly boggy. At days-end you had filthy trousers and boots, and in my case only semi-saturated feet due to the Goretex lining. I would not liked to have tackled it wearing sandals or runners. However, I have not observed such conditions on subsequent caminos so maybe those conditions were exceptional. Something to consider, at any rate.
Thank you so much. That is very helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.