• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Norte alone

david norcross

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Norte , 9/3/16 - 10/18/16
I am scheduled to begin the Camino Norte in Irun on 9/5, and my walking partner just cancelled!
Will there be enough peregrinos on the trail that I won't be walking alone for 6 weeks?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am scheduled to begin the Camino Norte in Irun on 9/5, and my walking partner just cancelled!
Will there be enough peregrinos on the trail that I won't be walking alone for 6 weeks?

There will be many people walking at that time. You may walk alone during the day, depending on your speed and who you meet, but will find many people in the after noon at the albergues. You'll be just fine.

I walked the first thid of the Norte from the end of September to mid-October and it was beautiful. You will love it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There will be many people walking at that time. You may walk alone during the day, depending on your speed and who you meet, but will find many people in the after noon at the albergues. You'll be just fine.

I walked the first thid of the Norte from the end of September to mid-October and it was beautiful. You will love it.

The Norte is a lovely camino. Agree that you will always meet someone. It may work out even better for you.
Trust the road:) Ultreia!

Hi, David. I will be Hospitalero at Irun´s albergue from the 1st to the 10th of septemper. Hope wll see there if you choose to slept there, if not, go to say hi. :) You´ll have not problems of loneliness in this month.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Am thinking about doing 2 legs of the Camino del Norte in October .. I will be travelling on my own, is this route safe for females travelling on their own .. any females out there with recent experience of walking these routes please? thank you.

Hi, David. I will be Hospitalero at Irun´s albergue from the 1st to the 10th of septemper. Hope wll see there if you choose to slept there, if not, go you say hi. :) You´ll not have problems of loneliness in this month.
Buen Camino.
Thanks for your reply. I have decided to make the journey. See you in Irun!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Am thinking about doing 2 legs of the Camino del Norte in October .. I will be travelling on my own, is this route safe for females travelling on their own .. any females out there with recent experience of walking these routes please? thank you.

Hi! I just recently completed the Norte/Primitivo and was a solo traveler...until I met others! I did walk a number of days on my own though and never felt unsafe. I find traveling in big cities feels more daunting than my time on the Camino.

Buen Camino!

I am walking the Norte solo now. I find it perfectly safe. I am often walking alone which is fine. There's always people in hostels.

Hi, sorry your walking buddy cancelled! He/she will definitely be missing out!
I just finished the Norte by myself yesterday from San Sebastián, though I started with a good friend the first week. It was a perfect combination of solo and group walking, and honestly I treasured the last 3 weeks without my friend more! It allowed me to meet several soul mates who I can't wait to see again. Buen camino, have fun, the north way has SPECTACULAR views!!!

P.s. As a female solo traveller I never once felt threatened or imperiled. the Camino is demanding but gentle :)

I just finished the Norte by myself yesterday from San Sebastián, though I started with a good friend the first week. It was a perfect combination of solo and group walking, and honestly I treasured the last 3 weeks without my friend more! It allowed me to meet several soul mates who I can't wait to see again. Buen camino, have fun, the north way has SPECTACULAR views!!!

P.s. As a female solo traveller I never once felt threatened or imperiled. the Camino is demanding but gentle :)
Congratulations! How long did it take you? I will begin from Irun on 5 Sept. Returning home 15 Oct. and hope I can make it to Santiago in that time. Thx for your reply!

Hi David - I am starting the Norte from Bilbao on Sept 9 going solo. Maybe you will get there from Irun about that time. Buen Camino, Kathi

Maxine - thanks for your comments - starting the Norte on Sept 9 also as a female solo traveler I appreciate the reassurance. Kathi

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi David, I'm leaving SJPDP on the 9th, walking on my own for about 10 days till my sister joins me, and then my husband will join us both for the last week so you never know we may cross paths at some point. I'm Jenny, my sister is Sue and my husband is Brad so if you see a tall woman (that's me) a shorter very slight woman (that's Sue) and a short man with black hair and a very brown head (that's Brad) come and say hi. We are always up for a chat. Jenny
Buen Camino

david norcross said:
I am scheduled to begin the Camino Norte in Irun on 9/5, and my walking partner just cancelled! Will there be enough peregrinos on the trail that I won't be walking alone for 6 weeks?

Yes. I will also be commencing this continuing addictive madness on the 6th from Irun, assuming I arrive there on time and in one piece after 30 hours of travel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, David. I will be Hospitalero at Irun´s albergue from the 1st to the 10th of septemper. ..... .

Hi Pingüigrino

I'm trusting there will still be a bed available when I arrive late afternoon on the 6th. Might there be a local Santander (spelling?) bank with an ATM close by the albergue ?

thx

Hi Pingüigrino

I'm trusting there will still be a bed available when I arrive late afternoon on the 6th. Might there be a local Santander (spelling?) bank with an ATM close by the albergue ?

thx

Hi Old Koot. I cant say if will be a available bed at Irun's albergue. A friend of my told me yesterday that they are receiving fron 35 to 45 pilgrims dayly, and the albergue only have 48 beds, some of them nor in the main floor of the albergue. That said, there are lots of no expensive hotels near it, you'll can have lot of information and help in this site even if there are not available bed or you choose a most private place for your first nigth. If uou have not the pilgrims pasport ( credential) we can provide you of one. About ATM, you will find lots of them Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Sorry your friend had to cancel- but maybe things happen for a reason.. . I walked the camino del norte alone and loved it. Never felt alone and did feel safe. I thought the beauty was that if i wanted to be or walk alone i could, and when i felt like meeting people there were plenty of people I met or crossed my path- hope you will enjoy it! Buen camino!

Ps also made a little detour to Tresviso in the Picos d Europa + alternative route from lugo via friol to sobrado dos monxes- all recommended if you like some adventure

Hi David, I'm a solo traveller too, starting 2 days behind you from Irun on 7th September, doing the Norte / Primitivo. I'm allowing 5 weeks or so, so maybe our paths will cross if you're allowing a few extra days.

Buen Camino! Pete

Hi there i will be walking from San Sebastian early October, solo,
hopefully there will be others walking.

I am still planning at the moment to walk the Norte solo from around mid November.

That is if my pectoral injury I got last year and has shown it's nasty side again does not stop me in my tracks. I wish to complete the whole thing but I am currently planning at least the first third of it on my own.

I have been warned that there will be many closed Albergues and also not many Pilgrims but I will see how I go in the first week, should it turn out that the weather is too bad or I feel unsafe at anytime I shall stop and come back to complete what I haven't finished in March 2017.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.