• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the norte in October

Andys Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
2012 2014 2017
Am planning to spend two weeks on the camino norte starting early October,any advice/suggestions on what to expect at this time of year would be great.Am planning to fly to Biarritz ,bus to Irun and start from there,will hope to get as far as Santander.Will be walking alone.What do you think,is it mad or bad?or even mabey great

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Am planning to spend two weeks on the camino norte starting early October,any advice/suggestions on what to expect at this time of year would be great.Am planning to fly to Biarritz ,bus to Irun and start from there,will hope to get as far as Santander.Will be walking alone.What do you think,is it mad or bad?or even mabey great
Sorry, I have no useful insight, yet. But I'm going to the Norte in early-ish October, too. So I'll be watching what others have to say. And I'll hope for the "great" rather than the "mad or bad" :)

Well - I walked the Norte to Primitivo to SdC late May to late June. I will tell you - most days were cool. Usually not getting higher than the 60's (Fahrenheight). I had I think 4 hot/humid days in the 90's. I would suspect October is cooler - so look at the historical weather. Also - a lot of albergues don't open before July - so for you I would check when most albergues close for the season. It isn't like the Frances where many albergues are open year round. The good thing was that while on the Frances - I didn't have a sleeping bag and really wished I did - the Norte/Primitivo albergues MOSTLY provided blankets - but not all. But - if you are going in October - you are more likely to need a sleeping bag than I was. For me - I was able to send my sleeping bag home and just keep the liner.

Those are the biggest things I think you should research.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked from Santillana Del Mar to Baamonde last October, and the weather was generally very pleasant. Cool mornings and evenings, with warm days. However, your experience can be very different. I do recommend October for the Norte. There were plenty of pilgrims, without any overcrowding and the scenery was spectacular !

I have walked on the del Norte 3x in October. Generally delightful but be prepared for some heavy rain and wind. And mud. Definitely not mad or bad, maybe great weather and for sure beautiful scenery and friendly people. Kaicho. Buen Camino

I walked in October from Irun to Santiago. Great weather, you will never get an accurate answer on the weather. Lots of ups and downs, fantastic scenery, I met some wonderful people, good food. Do not know which caminos you have walked, your fitness level and age but to me it is much more difficult than the CF but still worth every struggle.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did it last year in October alone. Lovely walk. More road walking than I expected nice weather and accommodations

I walked 3 weeks 2010 Santander to Santiago and had only 2 days drizzle. Some colder days near the end due to frosti mornings. Lovely time if year to walk. Harvesting the crops, blackberries and walnuts everywhere and people have time for a chat. Bon camino

Walked Bayonne to Bilbao early Oct 2021 - lovely walk with a warm day or two, a rainy day or two, a warm rainy day or two 😎, and cool otherwise. Handful of pilgrims at the Albergues with some issues regarding bed availability due to Covid, mid-month seasonal shutdowns, and the existence of surfers on the coast. Felt more like a long hike than a Camino, per se.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Im doing same route from 20th September im sure we wont be alone! Have a good one 😊

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.