• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the northern coast of Spain

karen cafmeyer

Time of past OR future Camino
2007, 2008, 2014, 2017, 2019, 2022
I have walked the Camino del Norte (completely in 2017, partially in 2022) and have heard that there are trails that follow the shoreline in places off the Camino. I'd like to find out more information. Last summer I walked past Zumaia completely unaware that I was missing the spectacular flysch. I'm not sure if seashore routes are mentioned in guidebooks or if I have to grab maps and track them down on my own. Thanks!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The alternative route from Castro Uridales to Laredo over the headlands is spectacular but not for the faint of heart. Also you should be very fit before attempting it..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the del Norte in 2018 and I used the information from Peregrina2000 in the thread posted above extensively. In particular I found the costal alternative from Santander to Boo to be really worthwhile
good luck!
i am planning to rewalk the del Norte from Playa la Arena to Ribadeo next April. Good luck to you. The coastline of Northern Spain is really lovely

Does anyone know if there is more trail northwest of Ribadeo to continue along the coastline all the way to Ferol? It would be sweet to link the Norte with the Camino Inglés. I hiked the Inglés in 2019 and met the best folks ever. We started a Whatsapp group that is still posting!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks so much! Super details and description.
I think the Wise Pilgrim app has incorporated all of the alternatives on that earlier thread I wrote up as well as some new ones. If you scroll down (it’s a LONG thread), you will see some great additions from @Kosmos, which I would love to walk!

@Luka lives in the vicinity and has also posted some additional options, all of which look lovely too.

If I recall correctly Margaret Woodward walked round to Ferrol from Ribadeo. Check it out at Magwood.me

I loved the part about the most beautiful bench view in the world and the coastline ‘cathedral’.

It’s on my to-do list too...

Does anyone know if there is more trail northwest of Ribadeo to continue along the coastline all the way to Ferol? It would be sweet to link the Norte with the Camino Inglés. I hiked the Inglés in 2019 and met the best folks ever. We started a Whatsapp group that is still posting!!!!
Yes to the Camino Del Mar. combined with the Ruta de Cantabrico along the coast is spectacular. Check out FB group as well and follow Oliva Lopez Hermida who has lots of ideas, information and passion for promoting this newly sanctioned Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked the Camino del Norte (completely in 2017, partially in 2022) and have heard that there are trails that follow the shoreline in places off the Camino. I'd like to find out more information. Last summer I walked past Zumaia completely unaware that I was missing the spectacular flysch. I'm not sure if seashore routes are mentioned in guidebooks or if I have to grab maps and track them down on my own. Thanks!
Check out Magwood.me. She has walked and blogged these routes. Very informative and entertaining

If you stay in El Pito along the way, after you rested up head out in the evening for a 45 min walk down to Cudillero...it is off the trail and we found it by accident. It's a cool, tourist little place on the ocean...several restaurants...go have dinner there and breathe in the ocean air.

Thanks to everybody for these wonderful replies! I'm a teacher in Alaska and we just had 3 snow days in a row (unheard of!) and another storm headed our way (11-16 more inches tomorrow). Kids and teachers are freaking out - final exams, end of the semester coming up fast. Eeeek! Sunny, warm Spain seems very distant right now, both in mileage and months. Thanks Camino community for helping me power through!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear Karen,

It’s thanks to queries like yours that some of us get fired up with opinions and wonderful memories and recalls that we long to share with like-minded enthusiasts!

London Town,GB is on weather watch for snow tomorrow!

Ultreia,.. Abraxos!

I think the Wise Pilgrim app has incorporated all of the alternatives on that earlier thread I wrote up as well as some new ones. If you scroll down (it’s a LONG thread), you will see some great additions from @Kosmos, which I would love to walk!

@Luka lives in the vicinity and has also posted some additional options, all of which look lovely too.
Did the coastal variants on the del Norte significantly reduce the amount of paved road walking?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks. Saw your post re the Olvidado. Even considering the coastal variants on the del Norte, would you say the Olvidado and Invierno have less paved walking?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back