• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Northern way.

Kentravyon

Hello!

I am a 20 year old student from Australia doing the Camino del Norte, I was wondering the best place to start for walking 25km per day over a period of 28 days. I'm finding hard to find physical literature on the Camino over here and the information on websites is rather extensive. Some websites say Camino del Norte is 820km starting in Irun or San Sebastian, however the google maps route changed to be similar to the one presented in this forum is about 700km.

I'm basically looking for help in regards to accuracy of websites and where would be the best place to start under my constraints.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi I would start in either Pobena or Castro Urdiales, they are both after Bilbao in the 650-670 km distance from Santiago. I think the total length is over 830km. Starting from these points would give you the chance to take it easy until you find out at what distance you are comfortable with, and if you get into santiago with a few days to spare then you can always head off to the coast to either Finistera or Muxia

There is so much variation in the distances given from the start in Irun to Santiago, some of this down to the usage of Arzua as the end point of the norte which does not take into account of the 40km from there to Santiago on the Frances route, also there is many variants on each days walking and some websites use different ones from each other, one example is mundicamino website goes via Oviedo which is 25 km longer than going via Gijon which Eroski website uses, the Norte is full of little variants which over its entire length can make up quite a total difference. There isnt a really good guide in English which will help you with this, you just have to go with how you feel on the day and which set of arrows appeal to you most.

You can use the little guides you get from the tourist offices to give you the outline of the main routes, and also when I passed through Pobena recently the hospitalero had the guide which covers all off the route to Santiago and also the Primitivo, it is a little booklet with very useful distance maps for each stage, its normally free but he was asking for a donation of 3 euros. There is a link knocking about on the Norte threads for it so if you find it you may be able to download it.

Good Luck

Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I think the brochure that Mike is talking about (3euros) is probably this one. It is produced by a cooperative venture of all the provinces that the northern route goes through. I wrote the tourist office in Bilbao and they came back saying that this brochure is available in most tourist offices (free). On the other hand you could just print it out if you have enough ink in your printer...
http://tourism.euskadi.net/contenidos/i ... INGLES.pdf

Not much to nothing about where to sleep, but great otherwise...maps, sites, cities, history, etc.

Regards and buen camino,
Giles

Hey guys, I've made a day to day plan of my route. Possibly. Probably not. I'll just wing it once I'm there, but it's good to plan these things.

I don't really know how to link stuff, so I'll post it un-formatted but if any of you lovely folk have a spare minute, I have an excel sheet of it.

ROUTE 1

PLACES KMs
Santander 23
Arce 20
Ongayo 23
Santillana del Mar 7
Comillas 24
San Vicente de la Barquera 12
Unquera/Bustio 16
Po 26
Ribadesella/Ribeseya 27
Colunga 19
Villaviciosa 18
Gijon/Xixon 23
Piedrasblancas 27
Soto de Luina 30
El Chano de Canero 23
Pinera 22
A Carida 17
Castropol 19
Abres 13
Lourenza 29
Abadin 27
Vilalba 19
Baamonde 18
O Ribeiro 18
Sobrado dos Monxes 25
Arzua 23
O Pedrouzo 17
Santiago de Compostela 20

TOTAL 585

ROUTE 2

PLACES KMs
Santander 23
Arce 19
Santillana del Mar 30
Comillas 24
Unquera/Bustio 27
Po 26
Ribadesella/Ribeseya 27
Colunga 20
Nievares 23
Santolaya 25
Piedras Blancas 19
Soto de Luina 30
Barcia 29
Navia 22
A Carida 12
A Veiga/Vegadeo 26
Trabada/ Villamartin Pequeno 18
Mondonedo 22
Abadin 18
Alba 25
Seixon 24
A Cabana 19
Gandara 25
As Ras 25
Santiago de Compostela 27

TOTAL 585

I just wanna thank Gilespenn and everyone for showing me that guide, it was a great help in plotting my wander through Spain.

Any feedback or tips, or any suggested places or albergues along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• El Camino 1.xlsx
    12 KB · Views: 107
Hi there
We too are from Australia and walked the Northern way 3 years ago and we used the CSJ guide -this was helpful for albergues and other accomodation as well as distances/ cafes shops etc. We met others on the walk with German, Italian & french guidebooks and not all guidebooks are the same.! Some sort of guidebook is very handy!. Generally the way is well marked but the CSJ has helpful alternatives. Also current road works can interfere with the path but usually - not always- there are directions. We did get "lost" a few times but then so did others! As Mike mentioned there are many variants on this way. For example I notice you have a way marked through Vegadeo but we walked along the coast to Ribadeo via Tapia de casareigo. If you start with shorter distances then by the finish you will have no problems with a longer day. Its a beautiful walk.
Regards Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.