• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the other way: the Portuguese Camino (Guardian article, 2 March 2019)

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
Walking the other way: the Portuguese Camino.

This is a rather unremarkable article that's light on substance and purpose but I'll share it anyway. The writer did three days of the Portuguese camino, walking 9 miles / ~14.5km per day and staying in manor houses. He doesn't seem to know much about the camino and writes mostly about the tourism part of it.

At least he manages to ask the age-old question of why we keep walking caminos, though he doesn't attempt to answer it.
Why do pilgrimages survive, even thrive, in a secular age? The Camino de Santiago must rank as one of Europe’s most popular walking routes. In 2017, the number of pilgrims arriving at its end point, Santiago de Compostela in north-west Spain, was up 8.3% to 301,000. Yet much of it is on roads, with uninvited companions, through unexceptional terrain, with a destination whose claims to sacred significance are fantastical, even by the standards of the genre.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I disliked the passage jungleboy quoted as well!

This article looks to be more for a luxury tourist. On a quick search, all three properties mentioned are lovely higher end spots with pools off the camino (and not at all in Brierley) between his stages 16 and 17.

I disliked the passage jungleboy quoted as well!

This article looks to be more for a luxury tourist. On a quick search, all three properties mentioned are lovely higher end spots with pools off the camino (and not at all in Brierley) between his stages 16 and 17.
Touregrino thus ! Instead of a peregrino 😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
He did say it was just a recce and it appeared to be luxury camino taster organised by Inntravel.
Something to print on the travel pages and not the experience of many of us on here.

At the end of the Guardian article is a link to the Inntravel trip in question. It's not even marketed as a luxury camino taster but as "slow travel holiday" and the title is "Manor Houses of the Minho" with "gentle riverside walking in the home of vinho verde". It praises the beauty of this part of Portugal and just at the very end it mentions the camino: "Enjoy the pastoral beauty of the landscape and the camaraderie of fellow walkers as your path intertwines with the Caminho de Santiago on its pilgrimage north to Spain." Which is not a grammatically correct sentence, I think. 🙃

And by the sound of this thread, the fellow walkers on their way to Santiago aren't going to show much camaraderie to Inntravel customers ... 🤭

Last edited:
I guess he had to make his 1000 word stretch between pastoral beauty and landscape. Who reads the guardian? Is it journalistic well reputed? Well he wrote count of something here, beer there, soccer and platitudes. Ah and “uninspiring”.
Maybe no publizer for him this time.😉

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
. Who reads the guardian? Is it journalistic well reputed?

I do for one :) It is probably the UK's leading left-of-centre national newspaper and generally has pretty high journalistic standards. The article seems quite entertaining but I do not think it is one of the Grauniad's finest efforts and I personally will not get too overheated about the "luxury" commercial aspects of its depiction of a Camino. As far as the Portugues and the Frances are concerned that battle was lost some time ago.

I do for one :) It is probably the UK's leading left-of-centre national newspaper and generally has pretty high journalistic standards. The article seems quite entertaining but I do not think it is one of the Grauniad's finest efforts and I personally will not get too overheated about the "luxury" commercial aspects of its depiction of a Camino. As far as the Portugues and the Frances are concerned that battle was lost some time ago.
Thank you . Did not know.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What a “ precious” piece of writing.
No real feel for or about the Camino.
Last time I walked that way, accommodation for Pelegrinos was not in abundance.
Even if it was just an article about the area , regardless of its misleading Camino bumf,it was as someone else has said, poor quality by the Guardian’s usual standards.

At the end of the Guardian article is a link to the Inntravel trip in question. It's not even marketed as a luxury camino taster but as "slow travel holiday" and the title is "Manor Houses of the Minho" with "gentle riverside walking in the home of vinho verde". It praises the beauty of this part of Portugal and just at the very end it mentions the camino: "Enjoy the pastoral beauty of the landscape and the camaraderie of fellow walkers as your path intertwines with the Caminho de Santiago on its pilgrimage north to Spain." Which is not a grammatically correct sentence, I think. 🙃

And by the sound of this thread, the fellow walkers on their way to Santiago aren't going to show much camaraderie to Inntravel customers ... 🤭
If you forget all about the caminho in this case, stays the beauty of the Minho aera.
If you ask the average tourist what he knows about Portugal , most only can mention the Algarve in the south- no difference with the popular places like e.g. Benidorm, Salou etc in Spain - Lisbon and some know to mention Porto. We ,pilgrims ,know better . We walk through an unique area , beautifull landscapes, interesting towns -Porto,Barcelos, Ponte de Lima ,Valença do Minho and for the coastal lovers, Viana do Castelo and Caminha.
The culture is in the north Is unique and do not forget the food and the northern Douro wines. The north of Portugal for me personally is my favourite area since many years.
So in a that point of view the article tells the truth. In case of the caminho I agree with you all .

Pega bem e bom caminho

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The author of the article and the author of the Inntravel blurb seem to think that there is just one "Camino (Caminho) de Santiago". Btw, Bradypus's deliberate misspelling of Guardian (Grauniad) is a popular reference to the newspaper's frequent typographical errors.

"Btw, Bradypus's deliberate misspelling of Guardian (Grauniad) is a popular reference to the newspaper's frequent typographical errors."

It was well known as The Grauniad when I lived in the UK in the mid 70s....

Like many Guardian travel articles, this one would have been sponsored by companies, in this case TAP airlines plus others. It was never going to reflect a real camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walking the other way: the Portuguese Camino.

This is a rather unremarkable article that's light on substance and purpose but I'll share it anyway. The writer did three days of the Portuguese camino, walking 9 miles / ~14.5km per day and staying in manor houses. He doesn't seem to know much about the camino and writes mostly about the tourism part of it.

At least he manages to ask the age-old question of why we keep walking caminos, though he doesn't attempt to answer it.
As he quotes, "in a secular age", this certainly made me imagine how many more people would be walking the Caminos if this was not a secular age?

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back