• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Portuguese Camino in Dec?

Jamie Y. Mo

A lifelong learner and wanderer
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (May-July/2017) PC (May-July/2018) and more...
Hello fellow pilgrims,
I am thinking of walking the Portuguese Camino in Dec. (or possibly Nov)
I have a few questions that follow this idea.

1. I have noticed that many people start from Porto, not Lisbon. Is it because the way from Lisbon is not as well marked as the way from Porto?

2. I'm aware that I am thinking of walking in winter. How cold does it get in the regions where Portuguese Camino lays? I have heard that it gets rainy a lot. How often? and how hard would it be to walk around Dec or Nov?

3. I have a concern regarding finding albergues as well. Since it is cold season, and I might have to walk before Christmas, if I walk in Dec, how hard would it be to find albergues? How much is hostel in Portugal (alternative refuge if there is no albergue)?

Or, I might rearrange my trip a little if things sound not so good..
I just wanted to hear other people's opinion about my plan.
I am planning to travel in Africa after walking the Portuguese Camino. That is for sure. But I was thinking that maybe I want to walk the Camino first before going to Africa.

Thank you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello fellow pilgrims,
I am thinking of walking the Portuguese Camino in Dec. (or possibly Nov)
I have a few questions that follow this idea.

1. I have noticed that many people start from Porto, not Lisbon. Is it because the way from Lisbon is not as well marked as the way from Porto?

2. I'm aware that I am thinking of walking in winter. How cold does it get in the regions where Portuguese Camino lays? I have heard that it gets rainy a lot. How often? and how hard would it be to walk around Dec or Nov?

3. I have a concern regarding finding albergues as well. Since it is cold season, and I might have to walk before Christmas, if I walk in Dec, how hard would it be to find albergues? How much is hostel in Portugal (alternative refuge if there is no albergue)?

Or, I might rearrange my trip a little if things sound not so good..
I just wanted to hear other people's opinion about my plan.
I am planning to travel in Africa after walking the Portuguese Camino. That is for sure. But I was thinking that maybe I want to walk the Camino first before going to Africa.

Thank you.

Hi Jamie K

1. The route from Lisbon is well-marked. Lisbon to Santiago takes about 4 weeks. Porto to Santiago takes about 10 days.

2. Yes, Portugal in winter is cold. It rains a lot in Nov and Dec. But it would not be hard to walk at that time of the year. However, I would not recommend the Coastal Route from Porto, as the wind can be extremely strong, bringing rain straight at you off the sea.

3. Many albergues are open all year round. Otherwise a pension costs about 40 euros for a room.

If you walk in Portugal in winter be prepared for cold, wind and rain.

Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The route is well marked from Lisbon, you start at the old cathedral and end up walking along a pleasant cycle way for the first day. It's not as hilly as you would think but it is wet and some sections are very muddy, others are on roads with little verge, we did it in Nov/Dec and it rained pretty much every day, the albergues and hotels we stayed in had no heating and so it was difficult getting things dry. Also the section between Lisbon and Porto has few albergues, but the local volunteer fire stations will take you in, they have hot showers, mattresses, blankets and you sleep in their hall. The set up is more for mass groups going to Fatima but they will take in solo walkers, and can get offended if you offer to pay, but there is usually a fund raising tin at the front desk you can drop a donation into. Don't let the weather put you off, it's a lovely walk, not as crowded as the French route, well that is till you get up to Tui, once you cross over into Spain it is much more like the Camino Frances.

Last edited:
Oh, I would advise sewing some reflective tape to the back of your pack and getting some LED bike lamps, strap a white one to your front and a red one to the back so it makes you visible when walking on the edge of the roads, at that time of year you often end up leaving or coming into town when it is dark and wrapped up in your wet weather gear marching along the side of the road it can be hard for drivers to see you.

Also the section between Lisbon and Porto has few albergues, but the local volunteer fire stations will take you in, they have hot showers, mattresses, blankets and you sleep in their hall. The set up is more for mass groups going to Fatima but they will take in solo walkers, and can get offended if you offer to pay, but there is usually a fund raising tin at the front desk you can drop a donation into.

Ummm, have to disagree with you there ;). That was the situation a few years ago.

There are now albergues between Lisbon and Porto.

And not so many opportunities to stay in the bombeiros (volunteer fire stations) these days.
Jill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
at that time of year you often end up leaving or coming into town when it is dark

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that too ;). Why walk in the dark? There is plenty of daylight during the day to walk the Portuguese Camino in winter.
Jill

Thank you all. My two concerns are gone now. The albergues between Lisbon and Porto and the difficulty of the walk in winter. I think I am going to start from Lisbon then, not from Porto.
I just came back from my first Camino (CF) in July and now I am planning to go again. I didn't expect this. Camino has a magical power that attracts so many people to come back. I can't explain clearly why.
I just hope the rain doesn't get too heavy in Nov/Dec...

Good to hear about the new albergues, but it gets dark early that time of year so visibility is often a problem.... Not much you can do about the weather or the setting and rising of the sun Jill.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all. My two concerns are gone now. The albergues between Lisbon and Porto and the difficulty of the walk in winter. I think I am going to start from Lisbon then, not from Porto.
I just came back from my first Camino (CF) in July and now I am planning to go again. I didn't expect this. Camino has a magical power that attracts so many people to come back. I can't explain clearly why.
I just hope the rain doesn't get too heavy in Nov/Dec...
Hi Jamie, Im not sure if you will see this! I am wondering about walking the Camino from Lisbon to SdeC in December. How was your experience? re weather. I researching about allbuerges and if places have been affected by Covid too...

Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back