• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Portuguese in reverse,

Hansel

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances and Fisterre (2018,08) ,Camino Primitivo, and Fisterre,(2019,04)
Flying back from Viga, may walk part of the Portuguese camino depending on time, has anyone done this section in reverse ?
Bill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We did the route in reverse to Lisbon, it was often very tricky as the arrows are usually painted on the back facing away from you, ie good to see when you are walking up the Camino but hopeless if you are walking the other way. However in some sections there would be X on the routes not to take, absolutely fabulous, so it was a process of checking all the X not this way markers and then finding the right one. A good map helps, but you also need to identify specifically where you are in order for them to be of any use. We got lost a fair bit, but made it in the end.

Flying back from Viga, may walk part of the Portuguese camino depending on time, has anyone done this section in reverse ?
Bill

Hi, yes, I did bits in reverse at the end of April this year. I intended to walk it all, but I had a very sore knee, so I had to walk very slowly, and not make it worse.

I took a train to Padron. This section shouldn’t be too difficult to walk in reverse, as there will be many pilgrims coming towards you. So if you get to a junction, and not sure which way to go, just wait for a while until someone appears.

From Padron I took a train to Vila Garcia de Arousa as I wanted to walk the Variante Espiritual in reverse. The 10kms from Vila Garcia to Vila Nova de Arousa was easy. Just stay next to the coast. I saw no other pilgrims; they probably all took the boat to Padron that day.

My knee was still not good next morning. I was having breakfast in a bar at the harbour, and there was a sign on the wall advertising taxis. I asked the barman if he could call one, and he arranged a price of 10 euros for me, from Vila Nova to Pontearnelas, which cut off a long 12km loop.

Pontearnelas to Armenteira was not too difficult, as one follows the river for a long way at first, and I had already done it the previous year in the right direction. Walking up the “Ruta da Pedra e da Auga” into Armenteira was fabulous. It was a beautiful sunny day.

It was pouring with rain next morning. Carmen kicked us out of the albergue at 8am, both bars were closed, so, breakfastless, I set off up the hill on the path opposite the Café O Comercio. It was a bit tricky at junctions, and I went wrong once or twice before I realised. It was too early to meet others coming the other way. At the top of the hill, in the forest, I had a choice of 4 paths to take. I went down each one, but couldn’t see any arrows on the back of trees. In the rain, sheltering under a tree, I managed to look at Luis Freixo’s maps on my phone, and so worked out which path to take.

In Combarro it was still raining hard, so in a café I googled the bus schedules (it was Sunday), and asked the barman where the bus stop was, and I took a bus into Pontevedra.

Pontevedra to Redondela would be like Santiago to Padron, lots of pilgrims coming the other way. I took a train.

I intended to walk from Redondela to Vigo, as it’s a surprisingly pleasant path. It follows a cycle route, which contours around the hills above the busy busy roads of Vigo below. However, I decided to give my knee one full day of rest, and I took the bus. I think it would be quite difficult to find the coastal camino when leaving Redondela. Nobody will be coming down that hill first thing in the morning, so you will have to find your own way up to the Iglesia San Andrés to get onto the camino at Aldea Cedeira Alta at the top.

From Vigo I then walked all the way to Porto, but, as you end in Vigo, those 8 days are of no use to you. Have fun!
Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We did the route in reverse to Lisbon, it was often very tricky as the arrows are usually painted on the back facing away from you, ie good to see when you are walking up the Camino but hopeless if you are walking the other way. However in some sections there would be X on the routes not to take, absolutely fabulous, so it was a process of checking all the X not this way markers and then finding the right one. A good map helps, but you also need to identify specifically where you are in order for them to be of any use. We got lost a fair bit, but made it in the end.
Thanks, I will see how my time goes, can always buy a map out there if I have time, if not will get the bus.
Bill

Hi, yes, I did bits in reverse at the end of April this year. I intended to walk it all, but I had a very sore knee, so I had to walk very slowly, and not make it worse.

I took a train to Padron. This section shouldn’t be too difficult to walk in reverse, as there will be many pilgrims coming towards you. So if you get to a junction, and not sure which way to go, just wait for a while until someone appears.

From Padron I took a train to Vila Garcia de Arousa as I wanted to walk the Variante Espiritual in reverse. The 10kms from Vila Garcia to Vila Nova de Arousa was easy. Just stay next to the coast. I saw no other pilgrims; they probably all took the boat to Padron that day.

My knee was still not good next morning. I was having breakfast in a bar at the harbour, and there was a sign on the wall advertising taxis. I asked the barman if he could call one, and he arranged a price of 10 euros for me, from Vila Nova to Pontearnelas, which cut off a long 12km loop.

Pontearnelas to Armenteira was not too difficult, as one follows the river for a long way at first, and I had already done it the previous year in the right direction. Walking up the “Ruta da Pedra e da Auga” into Armenteira was fabulous. It was a beautiful sunny day.

It was pouring with rain next morning. Carmen kicked us out of the albergue at 8am, both bars were closed, so, breakfastless, I set off up the hill on the path opposite the Café O Comercio. It was a bit tricky at junctions, and I went wrong once or twice before I realised. It was too early to meet others coming the other way. At the top of the hill, in the forest, I had a choice of 4 paths to take. I went down each one, but couldn’t see any arrows on the back of trees. In the rain, sheltering under a tree, I managed to look at Luis Freixo’s maps on my phone, and so worked out which path to take.

In Combarro it was still raining hard, so in a café I googled the bus schedules (it was Sunday), and asked the barman where the bus stop was, and I took a bus into Pontevedra.

Pontevedra to Redondela would be like Santiago to Padron, lots of pilgrims coming the other way. I took a train.

I intended to walk from Redondela to Vigo, as it’s a surprisingly pleasant path. It follows a cycle route, which contours around the hills above the busy busy roads of Vigo below. However, I decided to give my knee one full day of rest, and I took the bus. I think it would be quite difficult to find the coastal camino when leaving Redondela. Nobody will be coming down that hill first thing in the morning, so you will have to find your own way up to the Iglesia San Andrés to get onto the camino at Aldea Cedeira Alta at the top.

From Vigo I then walked all the way to Porto, but, as you end in Vigo, those 8 days are of no use to you. Have fun!
Jill
Thanks Jill, looks like the West coast of Spain can be as wet as Scotland, this week the forecast for the UK is dryer and warmer than Santiago, ,but not Zaragozza !
Bill

I am on the route now doing it in reverse! There are blue arrows until you split for the coast. I am using a brilliant app called wikiloc. Without it I’d prob be lost, it keeps you on the trail perfectly. It’s nice to mix in with the Espiritual route which involves getting a boat from Pontecesures. Enjoy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am on the route now doing it in reverse! There are blue arrows until you split for the coast. I am using a brilliant app called wikiloc. Without it I’d prob be lost, it keeps you on the trail perfectly. It’s nice to mix in with the Espiritual route which involves getting a boat from Pontecesures. Enjoy!
Thanks Calamity

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back