Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Primitivo in September

Rosway

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019, CP 2021, Primitivo 2022, Del Norte 2023
Very interesting ... I am really curious how August will develop and how it will be the second half of September, when I am on the road. :cool:
I hope to start the Primitivo from Oviedo on Sept 15th flying Dublin to Madrid on 14th. I have done the full Camino Frances and Portuguese. Are there likely to be many on the Primitivo at that time?. I am happy to walk alone but given the nature of the terrain and to avoid getting lost, I would like to have fellow pilgrims within sight. On the Portuguese last Oct there were very few between Lisbon and Porto, but still always someone.
Also given the heights involved I presume it will be quite cold at the higher levels. I will book hotels/pensions for first week or so. Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hope to start the Primitivo from Oviedo on Sept 15th flying Dublin to Madrid on 14th. I have done the full Camino Frances and Portuguese. Are there likely to be many on the Primitivo at that time?.

Based on historical numbers there should be reasonable numbers walking. September seems to have similar numbers to June in recent history.

That said, most of us can't predict the future with any reliability more than about a couple of seconds out.

I walked the Primitivo last September, starting around the middle of the month. There were lots of people walking, and Berducedo was full. Berducedo has long been a bottleneck on the Primitivo, but last year the municipal albergue was closed. Gronze tells us the renovations are done and it is open again, so that adds 24 spaces.

I am happy to walk alone but given the nature of the terrain and to avoid getting lost, I would like to have fellow pilgrims within sight.

Walking alone on the Primitivo will rarely involve having others in sight. Though the albergues will likely be full, there are far fewer accommodations, so there are rarely clumps of walkers. But the route is safe and well marked, If you are happy to walk alone most of the time, but if you also enjoy seeing others now and then while walking and in towns at night, it’s a great choice.

Not to get too off point, but the Salvador/Primitivo is really the only camino I can think of that has both lots of alone walking and others around in the albergues (maybe the Norte still meets that description at certain times of the year). I love walking alone but also enjoy talking to others at night and running into a few people on the camino. But it seems to be feast or famine — All the other untraveled caminos I’ve walked are totally empty of people, both during the day and at night int he albergue. Hard to find the sweet spot, but maybe the Invierno will soon be like that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the P{riomitivo in September of 2019 and had a great time. Only one instance revolved around what I would describe as miscommunication with the restaurant/albergue owner concerning the cost of dinner. I have to accept responsibility for a 25 Euro charge for a very mediocre meal. I ate it and moved on the next day. We encountered large groups - typically Spanish nationals enjoying their beautiful country - and several single walkers. The Primitivo was quite an experience - beautiful and serene - with just enough fellow walkers at the albergues to make for a great evening. Overall a wonderful experience. We especially enjoyed Oviedo's San Mateo Festival. Great time.

I hope to start the Primitivo from Oviedo on Sept 15th flying Dublin to Madrid on 14th. I have done the full Camino Frances and Portuguese. Are there likely to be many on the Primitivo at that time?. I am happy to walk alone but given the nature of the terrain and to avoid getting lost, I would like to have fellow pilgrims within sight. On the Portuguese last Oct there were very few between Lisbon and Porto, but still always someone.
Also given the heights involved I presume it will be quite cold at the higher levels. I will book hotels/pensions for first week or so. Any helpful comments would be appreciated.
So we both did the CF in 2019 and we are on the CP this year at the same time :cool: I will arrive in Oviedo on the 14th too, but start walking on the 16th as I want to have some time for Oviedo itself. However I plan to be a fast walker, so it is very likely that I will catch up on you ;-)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I will now start on 16th and will spend 14th and 15th at Soho Boutique. Very happy to meet up if anyone around. John
Hi John,

I’m starting the Primitivo on 15 September. I’m arriving on the 13th in the afternoon, so it would be great to meet for coffee, beer, wine, etc.
That's good. I hope we can have a coffee, glass of wine or something.
John and Alex,

I arrive in Oviedo on the evening of the 13th. I will then begin the Camino on the 15th. It would be nice to get a group of us together for a meal, afternoon coffee, or drink on the 14th if anyone else is following this thread and available that day.

If that doesn’t work out, I hope we cross paths along the route.

Safe travels to Spain!

Mike

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi John,

I’m starting the Primitivo on 15 September. I’m arriving on the 13th in the afternoon, so it would be great to meet for coffee, beer, wine, etc.

John and Alex,

I arrive in Oviedo on the evening of the 13th. I will then begin the Camino on the 15th. It would be nice to get a group of us together for a meal, afternoon coffee, or drink on the 14th if anyone else is following this thread and available that day.

Safe travels to Spain!

Mike
Hi Mike

Nice to hear from you. Unfortunately you are a day ahead of me. I just get to Oviedo on 14th, taking a look around the next day, so start walking on 16th. Might get to Oviedo in afternoon of 14th or it could be evening-depends how lucky I am with the trains. I will certainly message if it works out.
Either way I do hope our paths cross. Safe travelling.

John

Hi John,

John and Alex,

Safe travels to Spain!

Mike
As John said, out of sync one day. I will arrive on the 14th in the evening. So I guess I will be ready quite late after checking in. But we will see! Maybe there is a chance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.