• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Pyrenees, Route Napoleon in April

JP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 & 2017
Camino Portuguese 2016
Camino Del Norte 2019.
Thinking of starting my walk on the 20th of April 2014, will the route over the Pyrenees be open on that date or will it still be closed because of possible snow or bad Weather. I would like to follow the original route as closely as possible naturally.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When you check in at the pilgrim office to get your passport stamped they will let you know of weather conditions on the Napoleon and whether you should walk it or take the Valcarlos route. Take their advice.

Valcarlos route would be a great disappointment for me, but living in a Northern climate I know how dangerous snow can be !

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Valcarlos route would be a great disappointment for me
Don't be too easily disappointed! If the minor differences between the Napolean and Valcarlos routes are that important to you, go later in the year when you will be assured the snow will be done. There were closings in May this year, so June would be your best bet.

You can get Roncesvalles weather here:

http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/orreaga-roncesvalles-id31211

When you are on the pilgrimage, you could ponder how easily your can be disappointed.;)

2004%25202.JPG

JP,

Here is a modern print depicting Charlemagne mounted finding Roland dead in August 778 on the Valcarlos route near Roncevalles. (For a further description of this scene see this Roncevalles monastery history page) Hence Valcarlos was named in honor of Carlos ie. Charlemagne. It may come as a surprise but the Valcarlos route was THE original medieval pilgrims' path through the mountains and pass to Roncevalles; the present Napoleon camino over the mountains to Roncevalles is later.

For varied pilgrims' opinions regarding the Valcarlos route read this recent Forum thread >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/. This past winter/spring the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncevalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate. You can read about this hazardous situation in the Forum topic. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/topic16961.html

As wayfarer notes always ask for advice at the Pilgrim office before setting out.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Forget about weather forecasts the last four years have proven that one cannot count on past years to predict what may or may not happen. Four years ago in April a party ignored the warnings from the tourist office and one from northern climes was helicoptered out suffering from hypothermia, three years ago it was pretty warm, two years ago very warm, and last year there was no real Spring, winter hung on until boom it was summer in late May. So do ask at the tourist office Easter comes later 2014, April 20th, so early April should be less pilgrims but more chance for snow. Then again, we living here in Jerusalem are taught, that since the Prophet Daniel, the gift of prophecy has been granted only to fools. Believe the good folks at the tourist office and know - nothing, absolutely nothing happens on the Camino by chance - if you can go by Route Napoleon it was meant to be it not go Valcarlos and accept it-somewhere along the Camino you will meet someone experience an epiphany or a different enlightenment only because you have followed your own way-not mysticism nor New Age blarney-experience and fact.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thinking about napoleon route and weather conditions 7 or 8 months ahead, why, only god knows, accept , the route is open or it's closed for your security, Buen camino

Because of Vacation time its going to be April-May or nothing, well at least untill retirement in 2021 ! I have slept in Army tents in the middle of Winter in minus 35 weather and mucked around in snowshoes in waist high snow when I was a kid, and frankly I am not interested in getting caught in the snow in the Mountains in my late fifties. So I will go with the advice of the people that live in the Region and go the safe route and not put myself or any others in danger that is for sure.

We started in SJPdP this past May 20 and the Napoleon route was closed. There had been a bad snow storm a few days before. Based on the people in the village, I totally understand why the Pilgrims Office has to take a stance one way or another; they deemed it closed. That being said, our B&B owner was also a mountain man and he did some research on our part because we really wanted to make the Napoleon route happen. We were prepared for cold weather so we went for it. That being said, it was snowing and hailing at the top (we had proper gear) but I saw several who were very ill-prepared. I would recommend later in the year if you really want to make it happen.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thinking of starting my walk on the 20th of April 2014, will the route over the Pyrenees be open on that date or will it still be closed because of possible snow or bad Weather. I would like to follow the original route as closely as possible naturally.
I agree with what others have said. DO NOT rely on past weather history... I traveled from 29th of May this year and the pass was closed, and there were several deaths through the area. We also encountered many injured people, because the conditions were not ideal. It was disappointing missing the Pyrenees, but the rest of the journey made up for it. Its better to possibly miss out a section and be safe and enjoy the journey rather than take risks. Buen Camino Jodie G

It was open April 17th this year but was closed again later. So you never know.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hey. i´ve been walking the camino frances twice, first time around was in nov-dec 2010 and the second time was in sept-oct 2012. i went for the napoleon route both times but only succeded on the second time. the first time, in early to mid-november, there was no snow but it was fairly chilly but the winds were strong enough to blow me literally down while attempting and in addition there was a stubborn & continous rainfall of the gods. i tried to push on because of pure stubborness and was trying to wait-out on the rain in a nearby barn made of stones (actually was thinking of spending the night there) but then when i saw two other pilgrims heading down from the mountain back to st jean i made my choice and followed them back and the next day i went on the valcarlos route which was quite enjoyable in some parts when it took to the woods and hills, remember the extreme muddy path going up to col de ibaneta.... but anyway, better to ask for local advice and stick to it than to jeopardize your own security if walking alone, or in a company for that matter. but then again the mountain scenery from the napoleonic route is unquestionably one of the most beautiful and spiritual streches on the camino frances :)

I agree with what others have said. DO NOT rely on past weather history... I traveled from 29th of May this year and the pass was closed, and there were several deaths through the area. We also encountered many injured people, because the conditions were not ideal. It was disappointing missing the Pyrenees, but the rest of the journey made up for it. Its better to possibly miss out a section and be safe and enjoy the journey rather than take risks. Buen Camino Jodie G
I also walked it on 17 April, this year, lots of snow but pleasent and safe walk but was closed the next due due to overnight snow

I walked it on 24 April this year. It was closed 2 days before but we had a beautiful day. Snow on some parts of the trail but nothing dangerous. Weather was warm but very windy. It had been closed a few days before and closed again after we crossed. I agree with others. Take it as it comes. It is the Camino and need to be prepared to take it as it comes and live it, not try and control it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Its difficult to know how to even begin providing an answer that depends on a weather forecast for a particular day in over eight months time. Perhaps the question needs to be reversed. If walking Route Napoleon is so important to you, do you have the flexibility to wait a day or so for the weather to clear in the circumstance where the route is closed on a particular day?

I know snow conditions, I live in it 5 months a year and my town is built on a series of hill and surrounded by Mountains. so I will wait untill I get there and hope for best. If it does not work out and weather is dangerous, I will take the Valcarlos route like Charlemagne did . Thanks everyone for the good advice !

Last edited:
As everywhere, weather is unpredictable. A friend walked this year starting from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on April 9th and made Roncesvalles in 10 hours. She did not post any pictures that day, nor did she mention snow, and I'm sure she would have done so ... though the photo she took in SJPdP showed lots of snow on mountain tops in the background. At Mañeru, on April 12th, she sent a photo of her walking in shorts and a T-shirt. While there were cold mornings, she did not run into fresh snow until May 1st, when she awoke in Foncebadón, which stayed as they walked by the Croix de Ferro and over the peak to Manjarín and Acebo. Others’ experiences may vary! :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I guess my Winter will be a little longer than I expected , in my mind Spain was a Warm and Sunny place ! I guess my Winter gear will be going to Spain and my bathing suit will be staying behind ! Thanks again for all the good advice.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back