• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Pyrenees with pre teens all unfit.

Imustbcrarazy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2016
Am I crazy???? Have spontaneously decided to walk the Camino Frances with my family. We have no training and not fit, we are literally grabbing the gear and going....yes new shoes...bad idea!! Going for a trail runner and will live in them as much as possible prior to reaching departure point. My question is this. Would it be more sensible to begin in Pamplona and avoid the Pyrenees considering that I'm personally unfit with asthma and joints that are already weak from years of working with horses (was super fit back then but in my 40s and suffering now) my children and I have not been active for some time. I have read the forums and gained lots of invaluable information and advice but not so much on children walking the Pyrenees in our poor condition. Advice please!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Are you crazy? - hard to say. I think you may be unwise though. You say that you have decided to walk along with your unfit pre-teens. Did they have a vote in the matter? If they are the sort of people who would relish long walks day after day I ask myself why they are unfit now? I would hesitate to commit myself to such a long and challenging business with children (or adults for that matter) who do not wholeheartedly share my enthusiasm.

On the specific question of starting in Pamplona or the Pyrenees: in your position I would certainly opt for Pamplona. If you are already clear that neither you nor your children are in good physical condition and you do not expect to be so before starting the Route Napoleon would give too many opportunities to prove yourself right.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome Imustbcrazy!

Starting from SJPdP is a challenging walk but if you have reservations at Orrison or take a taxi from Orrison to Ronsesvalles then it is doable if you take your time. It is one of the most beautiful areas of the walk (beautiful green mountains, horses, sheep . . . ) if the weather is good. Pamplona is a beautiful place to start too and for most people much easier to get to and could save a lot of time and expense. Another thing that could help, especially if you start in the Pyrenees is packing very light or having your bags transported for you.

Good luck with your decision and Buen Camino!

Mike

Hi Crazy!

Although I loved the Pyrennees, one thing to think about is the lack of options for accommodation. Most days it's up to you if you walk five kilometres or twenty five - there are often options for accommodation every few miles. If your kids rebel in the Pyrenees, you're up in the mountains - quite possibly in the driving rain - with sulky pre-teens and nowhere to go but back or all the way to Roncesvalles. Even on the roads, a cab is only an option if you have mobile reception - and from a certain point it isn't a road.

Kids do do the Camino, but those I've met have been "training" (ie they've done practice walks with their packs), and clearly need to do a bit less in the day than their parents. I wouldn't aim for the "Brierley stages". I assume your kids weigh a bit less than you, so you may need to think about carrying some of their stuff - are you ok with that?

Good luck and buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Interesting post but I do think you are trying to control too much ... sure, it is fine to go without planning or training, whatever other people may say - the whole trick is to take it easy and listen to your body and build up distance - should you even want to! - after a week or so - if you look at the refugee crisis you will see that quite sedentary people have trekked hundreds, even thousands, of miles with children and carrying babies and with no 'trekking' kit.... and it is only the Camino you are going on!

Certainly St Jean to Roncesvalles is a long day but it isn't Everest .. the road route, for instance, is graded so that large trucks and small cars with caravans can drive it - hardly sherpa stuff ...... and! you can split it into two days of you wish, so I would say just go for it! and Enjoy .. what marvellous family memories you will have.

what do you mean by pre-teens? Really young or close to teen? They tend to be inherently fit you know, and there is something about the weight to muscle ratio that allows them great endurance without harm, as long as they get to sleep lots!!
I used to organise one day charity bike rides, large scale events of thousands of cyclists and we always had a few 7, 8, and 9-on children on their heavy little bikes (along with their parents!!) - they seemed to have absolutely no problem whatsoever cycling the 50 miles - quite extra-ordinary really.
As for your own problems, well, only you can decide how you are and what you can do ... you don't have to walk far each day you know, and if you start really early you have the whole day to stroll as far - or not- as you want .. but all of you, pack light, no, really, pack light - and have your children carrying their own things - this will force them to leave all the extras behind - I never carried my children's things on walks .. I'm not a donkey and thought they needed to know early that if they thought they wanted something then they had the responsibility to carry it and look after it. That worked out very well.

My first Camino and preparation? A week or so before I walked with my loaded pack a return loop of 11 kms just to see if it was comfortable, bought new boots and wore them on that 11kms .. then about ten days later set off by train to my starting point (Moissac, in France) .. I seem to have survived it! (I was 57 then) ;)

Let us know what you decide - ignore anything you hear that has to do with fear and being too careful - too much Health and Safety out there nowadays ... go out there and just stroll along and enjoy yourselves

Buen Camino!!

p.s. Of course you are crazy - anyone who wants to leave home and walk the Camino is crazy - welcome to the club!

Last edited:
Parents always know better, but I frankly think the SJPP-Roncesvalles stage is too much for children, unless they are very used to trekking. Remember, is around a 9 hours walk.
As an option, you can get van transportation from SJPP to Virgin of Biakorri (or "of Orisson", but don't confuse this point with the homonymous albergue). It is half of the way, and the landscape is really great.
You don't mention your month of choice. This make a lot of difference -bad weather is a really serious thing in a mountain pass.
I personally would start in Roncesvalles -a very picturesque place, a monastery in the woods, and from there is a not so long descent to Zubiri. Your children will love the place.

Lets go! Take it easy the firsts days. Lets the Camino train you and your kids. In les than a week you should see them playing foot ball during the evening, when the journey is ended. You wanting to die and they wanting more joy. :D:confused:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Crazy? I think you already know the answer ;)

How long until departure?

You are going to have some challenges certainly. Only my 'amateur' pilgrim opinion.....but I would see the main challenges as follows.

PHYSICAL. being unfit you won't be able to launch into 'full distances' whatever that may be for you..

You'll need to use the first 7-10 days as your training. Maybe start with just 8 km (you'll see the relevance) and slowly build up. Then 10, 12, 14 etc. Or as close as you can to that sort of gradual build up.

I did that last month with my wife who started unfit and injured (long story). It worked well. She was managing 20 km after a week.

EMOTIONAL. as asked above.... is this Mum's great idea or have the kids embraced it too?

Walking a Camino is a fantastic adventure, but it is challenging. Not just physically. Be prepared for tears and upsets...

FOOTWEAR. read everything on here about prevention and treatment of blisters. I suspect you'll get them, as your footwear won't be fully tried out and your feet won't be used to walking.

I reckon #2 will be the biggest challenge, unless the kids are really passionate and committed to the walk.

Regarding a start point. Pamplona makes Sense. But......

You could start in St Jean. Just walk to orrission on day 1. 8 km. But steep uphill. So go slow.

Then get express bourricot to pick you up

Assess how your family is coping that evening. Have express bourricot booked for day 2 to take you back up.

They can drop you at various points up the mountain. Worst case scenario.....which I would plan for.....is to get dropped off at the cross.

This will leave only a short uphill section remaining. And for the downhill. .. take the road option as it's easier. Total about 10 km I think. But do check.

Good luck! :)

The question is are you/they "just" unfit or dangerously unfit? What do the kids say? Are you the only parent going with them or does your spouse/partner comes also? How old are the kids and how many of them are there? If you are able to get a reservation at Huntto/Orisson and are just "normal" unfit and everybody in your group/family supports that decision then it is possible. But I would suggest you really make all this a group/family decision and take the needs of the weakest member as a guideline. Buen Camino, SY

having your bags transported for you.

Mike

smart idea Mike. Maybe just plan to carry light packs with what you need for the day. At least at first.

squash everything else into a couple of old suitcases or something. (You pay per bag for transport).

If after a while you can manage carrying all your gear. Just ditch the old cases. Or continue to have them transported. ...and walk with light packs...

it's all about the journey and the experiences whilst walking. Pack weight has nothing to do with it ;) no extra 'prizes' for a heavy pack. ...

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome Imustbcrazy!

Starting from SJPdP is a challenging walk but if you have reservations at Orrison or take a taxi from Orrison to Ronsesvalles then it is doable if you take your time. It is one of the most beautiful areas of the walk (beautiful green mountains, horses, sheep . . . ) if the weather is good. Pamplona is a beautiful place to start too and for most people much easier to get to and could save a lot of time and expense. Another thing that could help, especially if you start in the Pyrenees is packing very light or having your bags transported for you.

Mike
it might be a challenge but then think of what you would miss ..I was diagnosed with one lung much smaller and it has been a challenge for years. I had puffed and puffed up those hills...but was given a puffer to help me on the hills flat walking is no problem for me ..but with the puffer mange very well ..this will be my 9th Camino.

I think those who have commented above are too kind. Doing the Camino as an adult without preparation while in poor health is foolhardy. Bringing children unprepared is worse.

Why not spontaneously start a training regimen? The Camino isn't going anywhere.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I second what Bill has just suggested.
That being said, use baggage transport for sure, so the kids are carrying about what they'd carry in a book bag on a weekend outing. You have to make it fun!
Think about what you will have to do if the adults have health becomes an issue?
I've observed groups like this for years and seen some very happy families and some who were ready for serious family therapy.
Sticking close to roads and towns where you could bail out and take an alternate "vacation" like a week or two at the beach would be advisable.

What SY said:
The question is are you/they "just" unfit or dangerously unfit? What do the kids say? Are you the only parent going with them or does your spouse/partner comes also? How old are the kids and how many of them are there? If you are able to get a reservation at Huntto/Orisson and are just "normal" unfit and everybody in your group/family supports that decision then it is possible. But I would suggest you really make all this a group/family decision and take the needs of the weakest member as a guideline. Buen Camino, SY
And Don:
I've observed groups like this for years and seen some very happy families and some who were ready for serious family therapy.
Of course it goes without saying that it's not about you singular, it's about you as a family plural...and only you'll know whether you're in the happy family category or the category needing family therapy. ;)
And the Camino isn't family therapy...

And the Camino isn't family therapy...

Not sure about that one, but if it is, it is a real harsh one, you survive as a family or you don't. Not sure that I would like to risk that, there are more gentle ways. Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last summer, inspired and informed by this forum, myself, wife (both in our 40s) and our 2 children (10 & 12) walked from Sarria to Santiago. We all loved it so much that we're going to do Saint Jean to Pamplona this August. We had no preparation, fitness wise and being the lazy types we are, ended up often walking from about 10am until about 6pm with many stops (including a very long lunch stop) at cafes etc to breakup/pace the journey. It really was the best family holiday we've had in years. My advice would be to try and stay places that allow you to book, thereby allowing you to travel at the pace of the slowest member and have guilt free stops etc whenever required especially if it's or very wet. Again we're takling the Route Napoleon this year by stopping in Orrisson and taking 5 days to get to Pamplona. You could always return to sjpp from Orrisson by taxi and then get the bus to Roncesvalles the next day if it's too much. I'd say fortune favours the brave..... Enjoy and buen camino!

Am I crazy???? Have spontaneously decided to walk the Camino Frances with my family. We have no training and not fit, we are literally grabbing the gear and going....yes new shoes...bad idea!! Going for a trail runner and will live in them as much as possible prior to reaching departure point. My question is this. Would it be more sensible to begin in Pamplona and avoid the Pyrenees considering that I'm personally unfit with asthma and joints that are already weak from years of working with horses (was super fit back then but in my 40s and suffering now) my children and I have not been active for some time. I have read the forums and gained lots of invaluable information and advice but not so much on children walking the Pyrenees in our poor condition. Advice please!

I suggest the Valcarlos route. There are plenty of hills and up for you and you can stop in Valcarlos which not quite half way. It will split that day up better, it's a beautiful walk, and cuts some altitude off. The objective for me was to get to Sanitago safe and sound. My girlfriend and I did we walked every step. We made reservations ahead as others suggest, that alone takes the pressure off the slowest one. Take time enjoy your time, experience things as a family, visit places, listen to the birds. It makes a difference on you the parent and the kids will some day remember that time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Be sure to take plenty of water, stretch often, and tape your feet every day. Also, I would suggest hiking poles. Buen Camino

Last summer, inspired and informed by this forum, myself, wife (both in our 40s) and our 2 children (10 & 12) walked from Sarria to Santiago. We all loved it so much that we're going to do Saint Jean to Pamplona this August. We had no preparation, fitness wise and being the lazy types we are, ended up often walking from about 10am until about 6pm with many stops (including a very long lunch stop) at cafes etc to breakup/pace the journey. It really was the best family holiday we've had in years. My advice would be to try and stay places that allow you to book, thereby allowing you to travel at the pace of the slowest member and have guilt free stops etc whenever required especially if it's or very wet. Again we're takling the Route Napoleon this year by stopping in Orrisson and taking 5 days to get to Pamplona. You could always return to sjpp from Orrisson by taxi and then get the bus to Roncesvalles the next day if it's too much. I'd say fortune favours the brave..... Enjoy and buen camino!

Exactly!!!! Absolutely exactly!!! :):):):):)

Imustbecrazy ... you didn't say how much time you had ... are you open-ended? If so and you do still have concerns it occurred to me that you could start on the Camino in France perhaps five days or so before St Jean .. give yourselves some time to adjust (and walking in France is mavellous, utterly marvellous!!).

I agree with David. Either start back a few days in France or start in Pamplona. I walked several days in France before St Jean on one of my caminos, and it was beautiful.

The other option (Pamplona) is great too. The first day out of Pamplona includes a bit of a challenge right off the bat with the Alto de Perdon. From there you enter some of the most beautiful sections of the entire Camino. Pamplona is a perfect place to spend a day acclimating before you begin.

I think either would work, but crossing the Pyrenees is difficult for "unfit" people, and I'm speaking from experience. In 2007, on my first camino, I was quite unfit and so was my walking partner. We didn't stop in Orisson because it was booked, and it took us 14 hours to get to Roncesvalles. While it was a magical experience through much of the day, we had to do the last part in the dark and arrived in Roncesvalles after dinner and after mass. We had to spend the night in one of the camping sites there. We paid the price for the next two days, having to go quite slowly until we recovered.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

In my opinion it would be more sensible to start in Pamplona, ESPECIALLY if you are responsible for these children.

Otherwise, you are putting those children at risk--who will take care of them if something happens to you? And if the children are unfit, that is another problem.

Several have asked the ages of your kids.
Are you be the most out of condition member of this party, because it that is so and you don't make it, then everyone is jepodized!
There is a thread on this forum 'walking with children' . It could give you some practical advise.
Of course, we have our famous Kiwi mum of 8, Rachael, who first time started from Astorga with all 8, plus grandpa. The youngest was 6 at the time.
2 years ago, she walked 1.000 Kms with the youngest 4 and, right now, they are walking the Via de la Plata, so I don't think she is available to answer your questions.
HOWEVER, this family is FIT!!! They practice a lot.
My advice is to start nearer Santiago. Roncesvalles or Pamplona. Don't ruin your Camino, by insisting crossing over the Pyrenees!

Love you spontaneous spirit! You will do fine, but very tired the first week. A person gains strength as they go along.
If by saying pre-teen you mean 11 or 12 years old, they will drink all your water and eat all your snacks. Lol. They should do fine. Here's hoping you have a happy journey.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Start in Sarria. Your description of present conditions fits just about 75% of the Sarria- Santiago crowd. Your kids will find plenty company and it is a lower risk proposition.

Don't! If you want to be spontaneous go to the beach. The Camino needs to be taken seriously in regards to physical capabilities.
Hold off... read read read and watch you tube. Know what your walking into. Then decide wisely.

Joe ...

Believe me I care as much as every good person here who replied... be careful

Last edited:

You are crazy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Take it at a pace that your children want. It might be slow, it might be fast. I hike with out-of-shape 11 year olds just joining boy scouts, and the biggest two issues are that it hurts them to walk, and that they've never walked anywhere before. They dawdle. They drag. They don't realize that the only way they are getting there is their feet. They are car-kids. If they drag and whine, some one jumps up and gives them ride. (-- Then I have the older ones -- or the younger ones who are fit getting impatient. But that's another issue. --- ) The unfit ones, just have patience, take breaks. Realize they are working hard, and take it slowly. Make goals. Pick a point on the map and say, when we make it there, we'll have chocolate.

I love your sense of adventure and we did the same with our 4 kids with adventure camping and walking holidays outside their comfort zone and we think they are better people for it.
They seem to agree and now do the same with their families.
They always had the choice to stop and we always planned their safety and ours carefully and had escaped built in if the going got too tough.
The shared adventure is what made it so good.
The Camino is amazingly safe, if you don't wander off it and the weather doesn't get too bad, when you simply stop. You have to be wise depending on what happens but you exercise that every day bringing up your own family!
There are many options like sending packs on, busses, taxis and even horses and of course bicycles.
There is plenty to learn as you go and a wonderful wealth to be gained in meeting people from all over the world.
Compared to some climbing and caving adventures we had ( including walking the spine of Norway and canoeing back down the fiords or walking and climbing in the Dolomites in Italy, it is a walk in the park - but a super long one)!
You got the best advice earlier...let the Camino train you and only walk as far as is safe, it will build up.
Some people put the experience into three stages - the first for the body, the second for the mind and the third for the soul.
In 2014 in Sep we did the CF interacting the whole way with a school party of 15 yo kids from Korea shepherded by a male and a female teacher. They made it and seemed to get much from it. Their school has it as part of their curriculum!
A little training and practice would not go astray.
Set your goals to be achievable so you will not get disappointed if you don't reach somewhere by a certain time. To do part of it and to experience it fully would be a great first goal along with trying to understand it better by getting to understand yourselves better.
Medical help is good along the Way.
Have a great Camino and use the lessons in life. Be open to the wonderful experiences that you will all find.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there, you haven't said when you intend to go. The time of year and hence the weather you'll encounter and the kit you'll need to take should also form part of your planning.

If a kid gets tired on a warm summer's day you can sit under a tree and rest; if it's lashing down with rain . . . . .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow didn't expect this much response. Thankyou all for your fantastic advice. Well we are now in Toulouse and struggling to even get to SJPP due to rail and bus strikes. We will find a way. My children are 11 and 13. This is something I have wanted to do for some time. I travelled for a couple of years back in 1995 and 1997 Australia NZ and South Pacific a little of Asia. Not walking just traveling, working and staying in backpackers and hostels. Best experience of my life, especially meeting people from all backgrounds, religions and cultures. Truly humbling. I had always said if I have children I want to travel with them. Give to them a little insight of the world. Inspire them! Back then I read the alchemist and later the pilgrimage by the same author Paolo Cohelo. It awakened my curiosity and sense of adventure. It was a long time ago and I had forgotten all about this book until I stumbled across the Charlie sheen film that I'm sure everyone is familiar with. I started doing more research and watched documentaries and followed threads on this site. I had in mind it was something I would do one day. On my bucket list, if you like.
In the meantime my children and I have residency for Australia so we had been pushing to get out there. My partner is Bulgarian and we were trying to sort out his visa and it was unexpectedly refused. We had given notice on our flat and suddenly had no idea where to go next. Hence the grand opportunity to walk the Camino and hence the lack of prior fitness training. My 11yr old is very keen, although I know she will complain to begin with and my 13 yr old not so keen but willing and I'm hoping she will find her spirit. My partner is super keen, he has purchased an enormous backpack much to my protests and I finally managed to convince him to leave the extremely weighty 4 man tent behind, much to his annoyance. (There are posts on here about walking the Camino with a donkey!!!! I am doing it....only mine has two legs and he is Bulgarian) The girls and I have stuck to the advice. Traveling light. Very limited. However it still seems heavy. My partner wants to do the Napoleon way, I admit I have some concerns. I'm really uncertain how difficult that part will be. We would stop in orisson overnight. My thoughts were initially to go very slow. Between 5km and 8km for the first week. No hurry. What are your thoughts. Good people of the Camino?

Exactly!!!! Absolutely exactly!!! :):):):):)

Imustbecrazy ... you didn't say how much time you had ... are you open-ended? If so and you do still have concerns it occurred to me that you could start on the Camino in France perhaps five days or so before St Jean .. give yourselves some time to adjust (and walking in France is mavellous, utterly marvellous!!).
Great suggestion! I had also thought this a possibility. I wondered if we could join le puy (is that what the route is called?) trouble is I really haven't researched ways to SJPP. I don't know how well marked they are or how regular the accommodation is on route.

My 11yr old is very keen, although I know she will complain to begin with and my 13 yr old not so keen but willing and I'm hoping she will find her spirit. My partner is super keen, he has purchased an enormous backpack much to my protests and I finally managed to convince him to leave the extremely weighty 4 man tent behind, much to his annoyance. (There are posts on here about walking the Camino with a donkey!!!! I am doing it....only mine has two legs and he is Bulgarian) The girls and I have stuck to the advice. Traveling light. Very limited. However it still seems heavy. My partner wants to do the Napoleon way,

What could possibly go wrong?;)

I gather from other posts that Orisson books out pretty quickly, so you may not have that option.

What could possibly go wrong?;)

I gather from other posts that Orisson books out pretty quickly, so you may not have that option.[/
I agree. Since we probably won't start for a few days I'm hoping that we can still book. Will look into it. I may decide to let my partner start from SJPP and meet him on the descent. Shame but I don't want to jeopardize the journey by injury.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree. Since we probably won't start for a few days. I'm hoping that we can still book. Will look into it" I may decide to let my partner start from SJPP and meet him on the descent. Shame but I don't want to jeopardize the journey by injury.

I agree. Since we probably won't start for a few days. I'm hoping that we can still book. Will look into it" I may decide to let my partner start from SJPP and meet him on the descent. Shame but I don't want to jeopardize the journey by injury.

Sensible. Or consider the 'bus up the hill' option I mentioned earlier with Express Bouricott.

http://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

Take it easy the first few days and gradually build up fitness and endurance.

Buen Camino!

Do keep us posted on your progress......

Wow didn't expect this much response. Thankyou all for your fantastic advice. ...We would stop in orisson overnight. My thoughts were initially to go very slow. Between 5km and 8km for the first week. No hurry. What are your thoughts. Good people of the Camino?

Get a reservation for Orrison! I hear the Camino is very crowded now. My 15 yo son and I walked form SJPP to Burgos in late April/early May and it was crowded. I think I will take the northern route, or walk the Portuguese way if I walk in the busy season again. (We walked from Leon to Santiago in March when he was 14.) He was/is always ahead of me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great suggestion! I had also thought this a possibility. I wondered if we could join le puy (is that what the route is called?) trouble is I really haven't researched ways to SJPP. I don't know how well marked they are or how regular the accommodation is on route.

My first Camino I started in Moissac - well signposted but the French route is also along a GR randonneur route so they keep wanting to take you up to the tops of hills and so on - not necessary, those detours!!!- refugios are lovely on the whole and in some towns delightfully casual - as in, pop into the tourist office and pick up a key, drop it through their letterbox next morning, or talk to the old woman who lives across the road who has a key, and so on. At one village the mayor turned up to welcome us - me and a young couple (who were madly in love or lust and were a little disappointed when I arrived ;)) - and brought a bottle of wine .... is wonderfully green and soft and pleasant - and, well, it is full of French people so it is friendly and civilised! - as you get closer to the Pyrenees it starts to become a series of ups and downs - when I arrived at St Jean I was so prepared the Napoleon route didn't seem hard at all (apart from the weather, it snowed up there and galed!!).
I started on March 9th, there is a train station at Moissac, - and some refugios were still closed so I did have to stay in cheap hotels a couple of times, but this was back in 2005 so is most likely different now. There is a lovely Franciscan monastery in Zabalik where I stayed and had supper with the Prior and the one friar - they liked their good wine! and we were served by a mother and daughter from the village - marvellous simple food.

I arrived St Jean on the 26th so had 17 days walking in France - I really cannot express how much I loved it, walking in France.

I know that everyone seems to rave about walking in Spain but for me - after walking in France it was a bit of a negative culture/geography shock - gone was beautiful and friendly France and was replaced by Spain - I don't think I have ever got over it - if only St James' remains were in St Jean !!

Oh! and you get to pass through Condom - and surely there cannot be a better town to send postcards from! :)

Oh! and you get to pass through Condom - and surely there cannot be a better town to send postcards from! :)

I just walked the pilgrim route from Sundsvall to Trondheim. On my second-last day I walked through Hell. I thought that was quite funny at the time. But you are probably right: lots of possibilities for unsubtle gags about postcards and French letters...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wouldn't let my partner start from another location. especially not on the first day.

Interesting. Why is that? Considering they plan to meet in Roncesvalles where it would be easy to find each other.

Is this because:

1. You would be concerned that your partner may have an accident or become injured? (There will be hundreds of others on the route)
  2. That your partner might get lost? Very hard to do and also refer to 1 above.
  3. That your partner might meet new and interesting 'friends'. Hmm. That could be a danger :oops:

Seriously though. If the partner was fit and able, and the rest of the group not, meeting in Roncesvalles is surely an option....

Interesting. Why is that? Considering they plan to meet in Roncesvalles where it would be easy to find each other.

If the partner was fit and able, and the rest of the group not, meeting in Roncesvalles is surely an option....

Haven't quite thought this through or maybe, just it got lost in the gender translation?

Picture this - SJPDP a day before we start our camino. I say to my loving partner, that despite my best efforts and the training we have done together, I feel that I am really not up to the trek over Route Napoleon. Jack says: "I'm not surprised honey and I realise you have some health issues. But here's an idea...you walk via Valcarlos and I will take the Route Napoleon. See ya at Roncesvalles! I'm sure your ankle will be just fine. And I will take a few photos (to show you the beautiful scenery you missed)."

Pause. Think about the fun conversations Jack and I can have over the next month of rather close companionship. Actually, I don't think Jack would be saying too much at all. It might just turn out to be one of those introspective, self-reflection type caminos. But this is all hypothetical.

Here's the rub: I would never leave my partner in a foreign country and especially on day one. If Jack became incapacitated during the camino - even then, I would rather stay during the recovery, than keep walking and say, 'honey, you catch up by taxi in a day or two'. Cos to me, it's the journey (read companionship, trust, support yada, yada) and it's not the destination. No really, it's not the destination.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think I'll skip responding..... ;)
And yet, there is your response...;)

But seriously Robbo, if the camino has taught us all one thing, it is that we are all different, there is no right or wrong, and we all have divergent opinions. While you may advocate leaving a partner to take a different path, I will always stay with my Jack.

Buen camino

Hi Crazy!

Although I loved the Pyrennees, one thing to think about is the lack of options for accommodation. Most days it's up to you if you walk five kilometres or twenty five - there are often options for accommodation every few miles. If your kids rebel in the Pyrenees, you're up in the mountains - quite possibly in the driving rain - with sulky pre-teens and nowhere to go but back or all the way to Roncesvalles. Even on the roads, a cab is only an option if you have mobile reception - and from a certain point it isn't a road.

Kids do do the Camino, but those I've met have been "training" (ie they've done practice walks with their packs), and clearly need to do a bit less in the day than their parents. I wouldn't aim for the "Brierley stages". I assume your kids weigh a bit less than you, so you may need to think about carrying some of their stuff - are you ok with that?

Good luck and buen Camino!
There is the option of doing the lower altitude crossing of the mountains...take two days if the feet are killing you. (anti inflammatory at bedtime, I'm convinced that it opens the blood vessels in the feet to drain out all the accumulated stress chemicals of the day...YMMV)

I would think about the possibility of putting the kids "off" of walking for the rest of their lives if you bite off too much. I've seen it happen with projects too ambitious. The kids (or adult partners) are miserable and determine "I hate hiking" or walking or whatever. Just something to think about. Many people start in Roncevalles, or Pamplona. It's still the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a response to the OP, doing the camino will, at the very least, allow you to become fit by the end of it.
It's just walking. If you can walk, you can do any of the caminos. Whether you or any member of your family is incapable of the mental stamina required to get up and keep walking each morning.......that is what you will find out.
Have a great time and keep us posted as to how it turns out. There are enough "oh my!" moments in your posts that my curiousity is killing me!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back