• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Sarria-Santiago Camino in February 2023: Tips on Albergues and Weather

marc1

Time of past OR future Camino
next planned camino is Frances (Sarria - Santiago)
Hello, I've just managed to find my way to this great forum. Really good to hear of peoples plans for walking the camino.
My-self and my mum are planning to walk the 100k from Sarria on the 12th February this year. We have been preparing our walk for a year or so now and liking the thought that February may not be so busy? But cold! Also the Albergues along this part of the route, does anyone have information on open and closed ones at this time of year please? We are planning to take up to 6 days to walk and hope this is going to be acheivable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Perhaps you are already aware of GRONZE? If not, it is a great resource of information on the various Caminos*. You can find info on the individual stages, the albergues and other accommodation along the way. Six walking days will be fine – you could consider breaking the (rather long, 28.5 km) stage between Palas de Rei and Arzúa into two in Melide.

Buen Camino to both of you!

* If you do not read Spanish, you can open the page in Google Chrome and have it auto-translated into English)

Perhaps you are already aware of GRONZE? If not, it is a great resource of information on the various Caminos*. You can find info on the individual stages, the albergues and other accommodation along the way. Six walking days will be fine – you could consider breaking the (rather long, 28.5 km) stage between Palas de Rei and Arzúa into two in Melide.

* If you do not read Spanish, you can open the page in Google Chrome and have it auto-translated into English)
Hi There! I just stumbled onto Gronze a few days ago and it is super helpful, especially in planning some different km stages from the guide books! Quick question: Do you know what the * means beside some of the lodging choices? Are they like a star rating? I searched the site for an explanation, but couldn't find anything. For example: Hotel San Anton Abad ***
TIA!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take a look at the Wise Pilgrim app. It will give you lots of options for places to stay with phone numbers and their opening months, like “all year,” “April to October.”

The albergues run by the Xunta should all be open. But occasionally they are closed for repairs or maintenance work in the quietest seasons. If you are aiming for a particular albergue in February it is worth checking with the hospitalero that it is in fact open.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The albergues run by the Xunta should all be open.
Perhaps you are already aware of GRONZE? If not, it is a great resource of information on the various Caminos*.
Take a look at the Wise Pilgrim app
All good resources. May I add the Buen Camino app which, like, Wise Pilgrim is free. I would also check out APrinca.com The author of these website only shows albergues that are open in winter.
I finished my camino in mid December 2022. There seemed to be more albergues closed than normal for that time of year. I was told by some albergue owners they were tired from the busy season that they had.
No website or app is 100% accurate. I would say when I walk none are more than about 65-75% accurate. The best thing to do is call ahead to make sure the albergue you want to sleep in is open. Having said all this you will always find an open albergue every day. Do not worry.

Hello, I've just managed to find my way to this great forum. Really good to hear of peoples plans for walking the camino.
My-self and my mum are planning to walk the 100k from Sarria on the 12th February this year. We have been preparing our walk for a year or so now and liking the thought that February may not be so busy? But cold! Also the Albergues along this part of the route, does anyone have information on open and closed ones at this time of year please? We are planning to take up to 6 days to walk and hope this is going to be acheivable.
Hi Marc,

Welcome to the forum. My wife and I are also doing our first Camino on February 5. We are also starting in Sarria. Good luck and hope you find places to stay…

Hi, thanks your help recommending gronze. Looks like a helpful resource. Just have to do abit translating!
Good tip too with breaking up the long 28.5km stage, especially if we have bad weather.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, thanks your help recommending gronze. Looks like a helpful resource. Just have to do abit translating!
Good tip too with breaking up the long 28.5km stage, especially if we have bad weather.
Hi Marc,

Welcome to the forum. My wife and I are also doing our first Camino on February 5. We are also starting in Sarria. Good luck and hope you find places to stay…
Hello both, good to hear that! You too and buen camino

The albergues run by the Xunta should all be open. But occasionally they are closed for repairs or maintenance work in the quietest seasons. If you are aiming for a particular albergue in February it is worth checking with the hospitalero that it is in fact open.
Thanks for this info.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
All good resources. May I add the Buen Camino app which, like, Wise Pilgrim is free. I would also check out APrinca.com The author of these website only shows albergues that are open in winter.
I finished my camino in mid December 2022. There seemed to be more albergues closed than normal for that time of year. I was told by some albergue owners they were tired from the busy season that they had.
No website or app is 100% accurate. I would say when I walk none are more than about 65-75% accurate. The best thing to do is call ahead to make sure the albergue you want to sleep in is open. Having said all this you will always find an open albergue every day. Do not worry.
Lots of good info and resources. many thanks. Good to know they'll always be an open albergue somewhere along the line!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you open it using the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice. Be aware though that it does (incorrectly) translate some place names - for example Ventosa becomes Sucker.

Marc,
Buen Camino. I walked last February (Ponferrada to Santiago) and we had no issues finding accommodations. There are fewer fuentes (fountains) in the area you will traverse than other areas on the Camino Frances, and winter limits the availability of one's that are actually in service, which means you might have to buy a bottle of water every once in a while. Even in the cold and wet, it is important to stay hydrated on the camino. I've walked the Frances 5 times, and the February start in Ponferrada was my favorite time of year on any of my other caminos. Our weather was generally pleasant with a day or two of rain.

If it helps, we stayed in the following locations once we got past Sarria. As others have suggested, these may or may not still be open, but I spot checked a few for my upcoming 6th one, and found the ones I've checked have been open.

Portomarin: Albergue Porto de Santiago, which was excellent. (22K)
Palas de Rei: Pension Palas - a little out of the way, but nice. (25K)
Arzua: San Francisco Hostel - it was ok, and near the church (25K)
Lavacolla: O fagar d' Maru - great host at her private residence (29K)
Santiago: Hospedería San Martín Pinario - fantastic. (10K)
We walked some longer distances like Ocebrero to Samos, and Samos to Portomarin in a day each, so some of these days may be a little long depending on your liking, but we found places generally open along the way. We liked the extra hike to Lavacolla leaving us only a short morning camino into Santiago, and depending on your time, would recommend that if you can. It left us with no worries to get to pilgrim's mass and to enjoy the beautiful city. If weather permits, make sure you walk the park overlooking the Cathedral, especially when at night, as there are few better views to soak in what you just experienced.
We are going again with an Astorga start on Feb 24, so we will be a few weeks behind you.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back