A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Walking the St Olavsleden

Camino(s) past & future
Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016, Sep 2011, 2012, Apr 2014, St Olav's Way 2018
I am leaving shortly for a long trip to Sundsvall, and plan to start walking the St Olavsleden route from Selanger later in the week. I expect to be in Trondheim for Olsok eve, and stay a few days for the Olavsfestdagene before heading back home via England and Western Australia in early August.

Advertisment

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
God tur @dougfitz ! It is a fascinating route in lots of ways - and very different from the Spanish Caminos. After you have finished I'd be interested to hear how it compares with your Gudbrandsdalen experience. All the best!

Advertisment

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
No Longyearbyen and its polar bears in the summer sun?;)
No polar bears - but the route passes through one of the densest brown bear populations in Europe. I saw bear tracks on the path one morning about 10 minutes from where I camped for the night :eek: Lots of moose too and a few reindeer. And there is just a chance of spotting Storsjöodjuret - the Loch Ness Monster's Swedish cousin ;)

Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Velkommen til Norge!

Purky

The Dutch guy
Camino(s) past & future
Breathe properly.
Stay curious.
And walk a camino.
I'll be following in your footsteps from Sundsvall/Selanger a month from now. God tur/buen camino, and I hope you'll keep us posted!

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
09 CFrancés, CFisterra 10 VPodiensis 11 CNorte 12 VPlata 13 VPlata, CSanabrés 14 CLevante, CSanabrés 15 CSureste, CInvierno, CMuxia 16 CMadrid, CSalvador, CPrimitivo (17 RLana, CInterior)
I am leaving shortly for a long trip to Sundsvall, and plan to start walking the St Olavsleden route from Selanger later in the week. I expect to be in Trondheim for Olsok eve, and stay a few days for the Olavsfestdagene before heading back home via England and Western Australia in early August.
God tur och lycka till!

BP

Camino(s) past & future
Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016, Sep 2011, 2012, Apr 2014, St Olav's Way 2018
I arrived at Nidarosdomen yesterday (26/7). In all it took 28 walking days, a couple of adjustments to my original schedule, and the support of the many Swedes and Norwegians who run herberge, open up their houses to pilgrims, or manage to fit in a pilgrim around the other aspects of running their farms or resorts.

Many of you will know that the temperatures have been very high in northern Europe. Parts of the St Olavsleden route were closed and rerouted in Sweden a few days after I passed through, so perhaps I avoided the worst affected areas when conditions got really bad.

There is much to recommend this route to anyone wanting to walk alone or with a small number of friends.

Most questions about this route are answered on the St Olavsleden website - www.stolavsleden.com. Should anyone with a genuine interest in this route have questions about it that aren't answered there, PM me.

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Good to hear you have enjoyed the experience. I was wondering how things were going for you when hearing about the big forest fires in Sweden recently. Not a hazard that had even crossed my mind before.

CaminoDebrita

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Very interesting to learn about. Glad you had a good trip!

Camino(s) past & future
CF-Fisterre-Muxia March 2017
Slovakia Camino Kosiče-Levoča Oct 2017
El Norte March 1 2018
OMG so jealous. Buen camino and hoping to read your experience.

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 101 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 164 25.4%