• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Valcarlos route in May 2014.

despina

Should we walk only as far as Valcarlos or through to Roncesvalles and do we need to phone ahead at the monastery albergue if we are to send our bags ahead of us. Can someone plse advise??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first day is arduous for many pilgrims for a variety of reasons. Breaking it into two days can be a good solution.

I don't know if the albergue accepts shipped bags; someone else may have personal experience with that. It does take reservations now. The hostales will accept bags and take reservations.

Buen camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The albergue in Roncesvalles does accept reservations - they have a web site http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/ and you can contact them well in advance for a reservation, but you have to wire them the money.

Should we walk only as far as Valcarlos or through to Roncesvalles and do we need to phone ahead at the monastery albergue if we are to send our bags ahead of us. Can someone plse advise??
We set off from SJPP on a wet cold morning on 20th of April 2012 at 08.20 with the intention of staying in Valcarlos as per advice from the pilgrims office. The Napoleon was dangerous due weather. We reached Valcarlos at 11.10 and after a break decided to push on as it was so early. The walking did get more difficult after that but with plenty breaks was not a problem. We reached Roncevalles at 16.00 tired, cold but intact. I was 59 years of age at the time and reasonably fit, my brother was 60 and not a walker, both of us have heart issues. He had flown in from Australia on 18th. It is possible to walk it in one day without killing yourself. I hope this helps.

Express Bouricott (http://www.expressbourricot.com/en.html) does baggage transfer to various points from SJPDP to Burguete. You do NOT need to know where are you sleeping that night to do baggage transfer (a common misconception). You just need to know which town are you aiming for on that day. Express uses Hotel La Posada in Roncesvalles as a storage point where people can pick-up and go wherever they want to. A LOT of people use baggage transfer the first day just because it is a challenging (albeit doable...) stage if you are going all the way SJPDP-Roncesvalles. Express often provides a small racksak if you choose to transfer your backpack on this first day. You can email them or simply call them the day before, tell them where to pick-up and transfer and leave the bag with 8 Euros in an envelope.

I do agree with previous poster that if the weather is good and you are feeling OK, try to press on to Roncesvalles. I actually saw people on the Valcarlos Route on my way from Pamplona to SJPDP and I remembered thinking that route looks dangerous because it was mostly on paved, curvy road. I would take a safety (yellow/bright orange) jacket if I was taking that route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We didn't have any high viz clothes with us but at no time did we feel in danger as there is plenty room inside the traffic lanes. Maybe in darkness it would be dangerous.

Definately not, I found it a beautiful walk. From Valcarlos on, most of the way is on the road but with a few detours off road. I haven't walked the Napoleon yet but I think if its open in April next year I will take transport for the first 14k as its also on the road and get off where the track leaves the road.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all, it was very informative and we can now make our decision being, we WILL walk all the way to Roncesvalles .
This was my first post and now really feel part of the camino family.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I don't believe the monastery albergue will accept bags sent ahead if the recipient is not present. However, i have no experience in this situation. Other past peregrinos maybe able to advise you on this issue. I do know many municipal albergues will not take delivery of rucksacks sent ahead without the presence of the recipient to take delivery at the albergue.

Buen camino and god bless.

If you decide on the Route Napoleon then the albergue at Orisson is a good choice. It's 8ks approx and takes a little over three hours to walk at a slowish steady pace. Send your bag ahead as I did. The next day to Roncesvalles is longer about 17ks and some folks were sending their bags ahead.
Buen Camino
Gerard

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Gerard, for your post but we have decided that we will take the other route, hoping to experience another part of the starting route. Hoping the weather will be ok, if not we are always open to changing our route. What I love about the camino is that we don't have to stick to a set plan, we will decide in the day, I wish life was that easy!!

The Valcarlos route is very beautiful, it's just through a valley and forested areas, not over a high pass with sweeping vistas. Be sure to fill up on water in Valcarlos, as the only water fountain between there and Roncesvalles is labeled as questionable.

When you are in the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP, be sure to pick up the map for the route - the one that has the color photos of the trail markers at the key turning points. If that one-page map is not available, just take a minute to make your own digital photos of the large map on the wall that has the photos of the turning points. This route is not as clearly marked as the high road, and you will be very grateful for the photos!

Returned home 6 weeks ago, and you will find the Valcarlos route a very enjoyable walk with minimal time spent on the busier highway portion (as commented above you do not feel at risk during the day). The route was fairly well marked with the trail exits from the highway very clearly marked. When you do walk along paved roads before Valcarlos, most of this is on quiet country roads through farming communities...a beautiful introduction to your Camino experience! Arrived in St. Jean in the afternoon, and with jet lag abounding decided to stop the first night in Valcarlos, which proved a good decision. The next day was a straight forward walk/hike (unfortunately through heavy rain and cloud) partly along the highway (very little traffic), but mostly along lovely, wooded trails. It wasn't a difficult walk, but this of course is different for everyone...on arrival you may find yourself bursting to begin walking as I was, and the walk just seems to fly by. Those walking the Napoleon the same day were unfortunately caught in the same rain storm, slippery mud (decending into Roncevalles) and were unable to enjoy the panoramic views. I saw only one other pilgrim in the two walking days well back behind me as I exited Valcarlos, probably because of my departure times from St Jean and Valcarlos. Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To add to "Santiago_67" post, the Monastery in Roncesvalles also takes Paypal to reserve (not just wired $). When you email them, ask them for Paypal Payment option. Have fun!!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back