• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the VDLP - Sanabres or continue to Camino Frances

jhea57

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata
Hi we are walking the VdlP starting Sevilla end of April 2018.
Just doing the research on different routes once we get to Granja.
Which way is best.
What are the Alberques like on the Sanabres.
Thanks for the advice...
John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I really enjoyed walking the Sanabres route. The hot roman spas in orense are a must. Albergues where very good, along with many other places to stay. Have a look at my blog if you like. www.terryonthevdlp.weebly.com

Sanabres is beautiful and you avoid the crouded CF going via Sanabres

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you have walked the Frances before I would definitely chose the Sanabres. It is a good and well supported route.

I have walked both options - first time to Astorga, second time by the Sanabres. I found the walk between Granja and Astorga a bit too lonely and didn't enjoy it so much. I think the Sanabres would be my favourite - although after the solitude of the Via i enjoyed the 'buzz' of the Frances and being on familiar territory. You don't have to decide now - see how you feel at the time. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Camino Sanabres has some very lovely parts. Please take this route!
Ensure you choose the "walking" routes over the "bicycle" routes for the best scenery.

The albergues are fine, but I suggest you take a warm sleeping bag for the municipals because many did not have heat and/or blankets.

If you want an idea of the route and accomodations - check out my Youtube VDLP video blog from Day 26 to Day 39.
https://www.youtube.com/saradhooma

Thanks everyone and for all the advice...we will definitely be walking the Camino Sanabres.
I will be using Instagram to post photos and commentary... follow us at johnandjennycamino on Instagram
We leave Sevilla on the 20th April.
Buen Camino

Thanks everyone and for all the advice...we will definitely be walking the Camino Sanabres.
I will be using Instagram to post photos and commentary... follow us at johnandjennycamino on Instagram
We leave Sevilla on the 20th April.
Buen Camino
Good Luck! I am also looking forward to your posts; and also deciding which route to take in September/October. Dominick

i have heard the sanabres camino is curre tly quiet disrupted by the construction if a high speed rail. can anyone shed any light on this? (the decision of where ro walk is still weeks away for me but am interested to know thoughts and recent experiences. thanks everyone

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
I also will need to make a decision as to whether to walk the VDLP & Sanabres or finish on the CF. However, the more I consider it - the more I think about holding off on making a decision until I get close to when I have to decide. I think the good thing about having to decide which route to take is that one has two (good) choices - with pros & cons for each, but "it is all good".
I wish you well on whatever you decide.
Dominick

I'll be following slowly behind you @jhea57 - leaving Seville 26 April. If I can work out how to do it I will definitely follow your blog on instagram.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back