• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Via de la Plata May/June 2006

Fionna Sheppard

Hi,
I'm planning to leave Seville in early May, arriving Santiago around 22nd June. I'm not so concerned about the km, but does anyone know about the level of accommodation and cost? I'm in my early 50's, relatively fit, female.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
does anyone know about the level of accommodation and cost?

From our 4 year old experience much less refugio accommodation than the Camino Frances but I understand that many new albergues have been opened since then and the CSJ update to their guide certainly shows some of them.
http://www.csj.org.uk/update-viadelaplata-2006.htm
We ended up staying mainly in hostales and small hotels which did add to the cost.

Buen Camino
William

Fionna
I'm leaving australia on 3rd may and plan to start walking on the 6th.accommodation does not seem to be a problem from the 2 guide books i have.csj also has updates which i will check just before i go.
good luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fiona
I replied to your first email and I am the aussie you met on the way!
let me know how things went.I finished on 17th june.
kevin

Kevin and Fionna,
We get so little information about the Via de la Plata. If you write something, consider posting it here for all to read. I'd love to hear what it's like this year and what your high and low points were. Many thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first thing i would say is something you have probably heard before-pack light.i took 7kgs without water and it certainly got heavy after 6-7 hours of walking.in my opinion extra shoes are a waste.some of the refugios are dumps.the one in casar caceres is one.the beds are within 1 metre of the toilets and overcrowded.but the ones in galicia are very good.the vdlp is much less organised than the french way.i travelled with a dane who had walked the french way 3 times and he said he would never do the vdlp again-too tough and very little infrastructure.some times there are no bars open in the mornings so have some food handy.shops open late-if you can find them.
relax-some people were up at 6am to walk 20kms which meant they reached their destination at around noon-why? they then faced 10 hours of boredom.you shoudnt have the problem of heat in september so leaving early would be pointless-sleep in,its not the army.spain is very cheap so meals are reasonably priced-if a bit monotonous.
learn some spanish-as far as english is concerned you may as well be an alien-noone speaks english.
some stretches are tedious-miles and miles of vines and olive trees,or corn/wheat fields.
having said all that it is a great sense of achievement but it is hard,250kms longer than the french way without the facilities-some stretches have no bars,towns or anything for a drink
be prepared;i walked 28kms to an embalse with a new refugio only to find it closed ;for technical reasons; so i had to walk 12kms to the next town.the concept of the closed refugio advising the previous refugio that it is closed so pilgrims should avoid it seems an alien concept in spain.
do have a good time-i'm sure it will be eventful and memorable-let me know how you get on!
kevin

Thanks for the Info

Thanks for the Info and when I`m back I will write down here my adventure. I had learn last year on my Camino many things but the inportent one was "trust the way" and that will I do this year too,
Gracias and bon camino
Markus
omar504 said:
The first thing i would say is something you have probably heard before-pack light.i took 7kgs without water and it certainly got heavy after 6-7 hours of walking.in my opinion extra shoes are a waste.some of the refugios are dumps.the one in casar caceres is one.the beds are within 1 metre of the toilets and overcrowded.but the ones in galicia are very good.the vdlp is much less organised than the french way.i travelled with a dane who had walked the french way 3 times and he said he would never do the vdlp again-too tough and very little infrastructure.some times there are no bars open in the mornings so have some food handy.shops open late-if you can find them.
relax-some people were up at 6am to walk 20kms which meant they reached their destination at around noon-why? they then faced 10 hours of boredom.you shoudnt have the problem of heat in september so leaving early would be pointless-sleep in,its not the army.spain is very cheap so meals are reasonably priced-if a bit monotonous.
learn some spanish-as far as english is concerned you may as well be an alien-noone speaks english.
some stretches are tedious-miles and miles of vines and olive trees,or corn/wheat fields.
having said all that it is a great sense of achievement but it is hard,250kms longer than the french way without the facilities-some stretches have no bars,towns or anything for a drink
be prepared;i walked 28kms to an embalse with a new refugio only to find it closed ;for technical reasons; so i had to walk 12kms to the next town.the concept of the closed refugio advising the previous refugio that it is closed so pilgrims should avoid it seems an alien concept in spain.
do have a good time-i'm sure it will be eventful and memorable-let me know how you get on!
kevin

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back