• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking The Via de La Plata - Shall I take a sleeping bag liner or a normal sleeping bag?

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Dear Forum Members,

I will be starting the via de La Plata from Seville next week on 5th October 2018 Planning to arrive in Santiago sometime during the first week of Novemeber.

I am very careful not to carry excessive weight. Recently I hiked the Tour de Mont Blank and carried only a sleeping bag liner which weighs only 150gms and this was enough for the early June period.

I am not sure if I will carry a sleeping bag liner this time as well as I will save 430 gms of weight. My sleeping bag weighs 580 gms.

Can anyone please give me an opinion about this. Are the Albergues warm enough on the Via Plata in October and early November? Do they offer blankets?

I would appreciate your opinion.

While thanking you in advance I appreciate any suggestions andf advice.

Regards,
Ray Aquilina,
Malta

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Raymond Aquilina
I walked the VdlP from Seville to Santiago, via the Sanabres, last fall, beginning on Oct. 3. I took a light weight sleeping bag, but I think I could have managed with only a liner as far as Salamanca, as it was hot, average daytime high in the mid 30s. I did not see blankets anywhere, and it was certainly cool enough to need the warmth by the time I reached the Sanabres. Salamanca is halfway to Santiago (500 km from Seville). You might lighten your load to there, or to Zamora, by purchasing a sleeping bag in either city, as sporting goods are available. But if you want to stay in albergues, you will need a sleeping bag for warmth on the northern part of the route and you could not be confident to be able to find one in a northern village. You might search Decathlon on line for listings of stores further north on the route and the weight and cost of sleeping bags bought there. Buen camino.

I think you'll need it for the second half of the journey.
My experience is based on a Camino slightly later in the season (I passed through Merida on 31/October). But the weather can vary from year to year, so you can take my advice with that in mind.

TEMPERATURES:
You're going to have some cold nights at elevation. The legendary albergue at Fuenterroble de Salvatierra (wonderful - highly recommended) is at 1,100 meters altitude. The wood burning stove in the dormitory will die down overnight and you'll be grateful for every layer you have.

HEATING IN ALBERGUES:
The albergues between Fuenterroble de Salvatierra and Salamanca have no heating. Several albergues after Zamora have no heating (or hospitaleros who refuse to turn it on). Some are nicknamed "The ice box" and so on.

AVAILABILITY OF BLANKETS:
I think every place I stayed on VDLP had blankets. But on the Camino Sanabres, I encountered several places that didn't have them after entering Galicia. The first was Lubian in Galicia. My Spanish roommates were upset about that. (I suspect that the blankets might have been eliminated a few years ago when there were bedbugs in these albergues. They were bug free and clean when I went through last year).

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Raymond Aquilina
I walked the VdlP from Seville to Santiago, via the Sanabres, last fall, beginning on Oct. 3. I took a light weight sleeping bag, but I think I could have managed with only a liner as far as Salamanca, as it was hot, average daytime high in the mid 30s. I did not see blankets anywhere, and it was certainly cool enough to need the warmth by the time I reached the Sanabres. Salamanca is halfway to Santiago (500 km from Seville). You might lighten your load to there, or to Zamora, by purchasing a sleeping bag in either city, as sporting goods are available. But if you want to stay in albergues, you will need a sleeping bag for warmth on the northern part of the route and you could not be confident to be able to find one in a northern village. You might search Decathlon on line for listings of stores further north on the route and the weight and cost of sleeping bags bought there. Buen camino.
Thank you for your responce. I might post my down sleeping bag to Salamanca hostel. Your is a very good advise.
Thanks

It has been very hot on the Camino this past week and we’ve only used our liners. Last night and tonight, however, has been quite cool and I am using my sleeping bag. Ian is still only using the liner. I do get cold, though I expect it to get colder as time passes. Last night we were in ventosa

Thank you for your responce. I might post my down sleeping bag to Salamanca hostel. Your is a very good advise.
Thanks
No blankets in the municipal albergue in Zamora !! So from Salamanca on is a good idea IMO,,,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back