• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Via de la Plata Starting April 12th

mike105

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2016
Via Francigena 2018
Madrid 2019
San Salvador 2019
Primitivo 2019
I'll be walking the Via de la Plata starting April 12th from Seville. I have nothing booked past Seville and am interested to know if anyone else is leaving on the same day? I've walked the Madrid, San Salvador, Primitivo and Portuguese Caminos as well as parts of the Frances. I enjoy the physical challenge and just simply being in Europe. I like to do about 20-25 kms per day but can do more if necessary. I hope to see some fellow pilgrams on the route and share the walk with others. I feel the best thing about the Caminos are the people, and have been fortunate to meet many different people from different parts of the world. I like to follow Dylan's advise to, "Keep on keeping on"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
not really nescessary to book ahead until you hear of festivals in major cities where every bed most likely will be taken, otherwise fairly open stretches for just trudging on and hope for good luck ...

Last edited:
Buen Camino! I am sure you will meet other pilgrims!
SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll be walking the Via de la Plata starting April 12th from Seville. I have nothing booked past Seville and am interested to know if anyone else is leaving on the same day? I've walked the Madrid, San Salvador, Primitivo and Portuguese Caminos as well as parts of the Frances. I enjoy the physical challenge and just simply being in Europe. I like to do about 20-25 kms per day but can do more if necessary. I hope to see some fellow pilgrams on the route and share the walk with others. I feel the best thing about the Caminos are the people, and have been fortunate to meet many different people from different parts of the world. I like to follow Dylan's advise to, "Keep on keeping on"

I would not worry about booking. You will have to walk a few days over 25 km's.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi, Don't forget that 12th of April is Easter Sunday, so I would make a booking for the days you plan to be in Seville, I would also think about Fuente de Cantos where there are a limited number of beds, and how you plan to get past Oliva de Plasenca.
Some people prefer to just wing it, fine if that works for them, I prefer to have some sort of a plan.
Regards
George

I'll be walking the Via de la Plata starting April 12th from Seville. I have nothing booked past Seville

Hi Mike
Great time to walk. You’ll be seeing lots of spring flowers as you head north. I left apr 7 last year.
You’ve got Seville booked. Definitely wouldn’t wing that.
I had booked next 3 stops ‘but in hindsight’., I didn’t need to. Others I met when eating dinner or walking had winged it and had found places in albergues. It depends I guess how late you arrive.
I agree with others to give some thought to popular stops for tourists. Hospitalero where you stop may give advice for further ahead and help you make a booking. Good to Ask the hospi for advice .. they are usually aware of what’s ahead of you.
Cáseres is a popular place and sometimes full . I stopped further in Casar de Cásares.
If you don’t plan to prepare your ‘very own’ rough list of ideas for stops and accommodation from the wealth of lists and posts on the Vdlp forum., I’d suggest having access to www.gronze.com at least, so that you can see what is around.
also Gerald Kelly has a good online guide to the Via which has tracks to download and advice on accommodation. It’s in printed form too and that is available from Ivars camino forum store here.
This route is a beauty Mike!

Btw from my experience ., just enough other pilgrims walking to have good conversation occasionally and company to eat with.

Buen camino
Annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks, lots of useful information. It's very much appreciated.

Hi Mike
Just be prepared for hot weather. I left Seville late March. Was wet and later great flowers. Then by mid April getting very hot by 1-2pm as I approached Salamanca.
Although the following year people arriving in Salamanca in mid April were experiencing snow.
I think from mid April on though more likely to be hot than not. Early starts and end by early afternoon likely.
Anyhow it’s all part of the challenges the Camino offers.
Enjoy
Buen Camino
Mark

Thanks. I like the idea of not really knowing what to expect. I always have a backup plan. If worse comes to worse I'll take a bus to the Mediterranean and sit on a beach...but I appreciate the heads up about the weather.
Mike

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back