• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking through Porto

anniethenurse

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances.Vasco del Interior.Camino Finisterre& Muxia. Camino Portugues. Ruta del Ebro.
Hola a todos!

I have now walked 3 times in Portugal on different routes. And will be returning next June :)

But I must be the only one who walked and will be walking out of Porto. Along the river to the Atlantic Ocean and to Matosinhos and past Matosinhos. Lovely walking by the river and by the Ocean :)

Anyone else who loves walking the camino and walked out of Porto?

Bom caminho :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola a todos!

I have now walked 3 times in Portugal on different routes. And will be returning next June :)

But I must be the only one who walked and will be walking out of Porto. Along the river to the Atlantic Ocean and to Matosinhos and past Matosinhos. Lovely walking by the river and by the Ocean :)

Me ! And my wife did.
Even during the walk along the riverside we attended a fado rehearsal in a small bar oposite the small ferryboat just before the Douro river meets the ocean.
We stayed overnight in hotel Central in Matosinhos and next day continued to Vila do Conde from where we headed inland to São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos and Casa Fernanda.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Along the river and along the Ocean.
May 2015

Attachments

• IMG_4842.JPG
    IMG_4842.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4920.JPG
    IMG_4920.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4922.JPG
    IMG_4922.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4927.JPG
    IMG_4927.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Theatregal

I posted this in another thread earlier , don´t know if you saw it.

"In 2010 ( Holy Year ) my wife and I walked the Camino Portugues de la Costa. We were told by 2 volunteers we met next to the ferry office at the port in Aguarda that this Camino was " intuitivo" ( that you had to play it by ear ). They were right but we loved every minute of our walk. One day we stayed at an albergue "Aguncheiro Albergue Turistico" it´s in Mougás - Oia about 21 kms from Aguarda. It has a hotel,restaurant and albergue for peregrinos. My wife and I were number 19 and 20 at that albergue at the end of August in a Holy Year. I imagine the costal route has greater number nowadays."

We had a seafood paella there while looking out at the sea.

Ondo Ibili !
I did indeed! Included it in my notes. I loved the quote about this camino - "intuitivo" Suits me!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
[...] We stayed overnight in hotel Central in Matosinhos and next day continued to Vila do Conde from where we headed inland to São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos and Casa Fernanda. Bom caminho e abraço deste lado do Europa.
We didn't walk out of Porto but rather in Porto. The first day, starting from the cathedral, we lost track of the yellow arrows and got lost. The nest day we found the place where we went wrong and walked a fair distance through town. Then decided to return along the Douro river and to our overnight stay in the center of town. We walked 17 kilometers, and it all was an eye opener. On the day of our departure we took the 500 bus from the Sao Bento station to Matosinhos and walked from there. Did more or less the road Albertinho took, stayed in Vila do Condo, then in Pedra Furada and Tamel before the fabulous Casa Fernanda. Along all our Caminos we have rarely experienced such exceptional and generous welcome.
Back to the subject of this thread: I would not walk again from and through Porto and built up areas with horrible road surfaces to walk on, but rather start from Barcelos (Camino Central). The coastal walk is different, but only really starts after Matosinhos and is rather monotonous. I can't judge the coastal walk from Vila do Conde to the North.o_O

ooh yes, I walked out of Porto to Villarinha also - every step from the cathedral. I loved it.
It still puzzles me why folk try to ‘avoid the ugly bits'. A wise French gentleman told me many years ago on my first pilgrimage that the way you approach your pilgrimage is the way you approach life. Please, this is not a judgement, just a comment. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
ooh yes, I walked out of Porto to Villarinha also - every step from the cathedral. I loved it.
It still puzzles me why folk try to ‘avoid the ugly bits'. A wise French gentleman told me many years ago on my first pilgrimage that the way you approach your pilgrimage is the way you approach life. Please, this is not a judgement, just a comment. :)

I drove with my car from Porto to Vilarinho and even with the car it was very dangerous on those roads. The Portuguese drivers tried to merge in between my car and my hooked on campingtrailer !
I saw trucks and buses almost hitting pilgrims walking on the hardshoulder of these roads.
Better if you like to walk direction Vilarinho take the metro to Forum Maia and walk from there.

Just before Vilarinho you'll find the albergue Mosteiro de Vairão in an ancient monastery. Nice place to stay there.
From there it is a nice 15 km long walk to São Pedro de Rates where is the next albergue.

Last edited:
I left Porto early in July 2013 during a heat wave. I did not know anything about the route along the beach and was very wary of walking through the city in all of the heat so I took the metro to Santa Clara (actually overshot the station and had to do some back tracking) and then walked to Arcos. I was melting by noon, found a place with a pool and collapsed there. I loved the route from Porto to SDC and stops at Casa Fernanda, Porto do Limo and Padron are highly recommended.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola a todos!

I will be walking this exact route. Arriving Porto Aug 5 start walking Aug 7. In addition I will continue on to Fisterre Muxia and return to SDC then over to the Ingles...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back