• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking through town and cities...

Darren John

Hello everyone!

Quick question....... What is it like walking through the larger towns and cities? is the path well marked? is it easy to get lost?

Much Thanks
Darren

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not much of an issue, if you get a walking family & You will if you are the social type. It will help when the streets are full of people to have extra eyes. Just don't stop in a bar & walk out assuming a direction...:rolleyes:

HWhat is it like walking through the larger towns and cities? is the path well marked? is it easy to get lost?
It is variable. Some cities don't like yellow arrows. They mark the route with a variety of other signs including tiles on building corners and brass shells in the sidewalk. If you have become accustomed to yellow arrows, it is a bit difficult to find the alternative markers. The last few hundred meters into Santiago are confusing because the arrows and signs respond to intersection traffic so that the pilgrims does not get run over by a car!

Stay observant and you will be fine. Buen camino.

We got kind of lost in Ponferrada. The issue probably wasn't the lack of arrows, but just that the arrows compete with a lot of other things for your attention - that combined with a lot of streets and possible twists and turns makes it easy to miss an arrow. We had booked a hotel in Ponferrada for the night that was right on the path - got lost on the way to the hotel and were not in the mood to traipse around looking for the place. A taxi appeared, so we hailed it and it took us to our hotel - The Camino Provides :cool: The next morning we had trouble finding the route out of town too, but we were fresh after a good night's sleep, so it wasn't a big deal - we found our way out.

The route out of Leon was another place where we probably would have gotten lost, except that there were plenty of other people walking out of Leon that morning, so we just went with the flow.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's generally very well marked. Sometimes less so, but plenty of people around to ask. Also, other pilgrims will stick out like a sore thumb, so just follow them.

I would just say read your guidebook carefully and be aware of getting onto less-desirable options going through cities. Burgos, in particular, I got sucked in by yellow arrows without watching what I was doing and wound up taking a pretty bleak route into the city. Found out later there was a nicer route. I found a small compass to be very helpful from time to time. At least you know you are going west, so it can't be THAT bad. In general, however, if you stop and settle down and look you will see the arrows.

We got kind of lost in Ponferrada. The issue probably wasn't the lack of arrows, but just that the arrows compete with a lot of other things for your attention - that combined with a lot of streets and possible twists and turns makes it easy to miss an arrow. We had booked a hotel in Ponferrada for the night that was right on the path - got lost on the way to the hotel and were not in the mood to traipse around looking for the place. A taxi appeared, so we hailed it and it took us to our hotel - The Camino Provides :cool: The next morning we had trouble finding the route out of town too, but we were fresh after a good night's sleep, so it wasn't a big deal - we found our way out.

The route out of Leon was another place where we probably would have gotten lost, except that there were plenty of other people walking out of Leon that morning, so we just went with the flow.
Taxi?? Whole new topic of discussion for those of us that are walking snobs but you will find it can be very entertaining. But if you become one of us walking snobs keep it entertaining as some simply can't understand why others have to use transportation. Who wants to be a human porter? God bless you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I got lost in Estella and missed the Irache fountain. Was too tired to walk back to it, unfortunately.

I believe that @waveprof has it right on in that you should look out for fellow pilgrims. @falcon269 is also correct in pointing out that you should start watching for alternate markers in the towns and cities.

I found the following areas to present problems on my first Camino. Mainly because I was walking “out of synch” with other walkers during the slow season on the Camino and that I was slow to pick up on the alternate markings.

Pamplona – watch for silver colored inserts in the walks

Burgos – I have yet to find the “nice” way into town. (There are some fairly recent threads here that I will consult before I ever try again.) Getting out was not easy for me either. I didn’t get lost but my attention was split between scanning the Brierley and the likely spots for markings on streets and buildings. It was slow going.

León – Pretty well marked but one hits some busy interchanges (two, I think) early on. I had to stop and look around to find the odd arrow on a lamppost or utility box.

Ponferrada – I had no problems getting into town. Finding my way out the next morning was difficult in the dark. (In the light this last time, it was only a bit easier.)

Have no fear though. Any time I was about to get real lost, there was a kindly local angel who would materialize from nowhere to get me on track. This is a common pilgrim experience.

Buen Camino!

B

Hi Darren, the only trouble we had leaving the big cities was in Ponferrada. They were doing lots of work on the streets and sidewalks on the way out of town which may have kept us from seeing the markers and we were always questioning whether we were heading in the correct direction, which we were. Most evenings we would check out the path so we were sure in the morning where to go. :) Buen Camino, Pete

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just follow the yellow-bricked road.
I agree that Ponferrada was a bit confusing lately - arrows have been painted over and covered with graffiti.
However, in most places, there is no problem at all.
You will learn to watch the sidewalk, milarios, curbs, streetlights, walls, and just about any paintable surface for yellow arrows.
Do a Google search on "Camino de Santiago waymarks" so you'll know what to look for.

Most evenings we would check out the path so we were sure in the morning where to go. :) Buen Camino, Pete
I usually do exactly that - excellent suggestion, Pete.
The short answer is that it's easy to lose the camino in most cities. Take one of the guide books with you [Brierly is excellent] and find out which is the next town/village. Head generally in that direction. Most caminos will use the main roads in cities, not any small path. As you leave the city you'll usually rediscover the yellow arrows and quietly thank those who have painted them.
But it's not something to worry about!
Buen camino!

It depends when you are leaving that said city. For example, leaving Burgos or Pamplona in the morning darkness is a pain. I got lost a number of times. I haven't had problems walking through small towns however. They seem to be well marked.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Taxi?? Whole new topic of discussion for those of us that are walking snobs but you will find it can be very entertaining. But if you become one of us walking snobs keep it entertaining as some simply can't understand why others have to use transportation. Who wants to be a human porter? God bless you!

Heehee - YES, we used a taxi - OMG :) We pulled up in front of the hotel and one of our friends was there, sitting outside having a drink. He gave us a ration for taking a taxi too - of course he had used pack transport that day to get over the mountain, which is why he was already there having a drink while we walked slower with our packs. We had a fun discussion about which was a worse pilgrim infraction - staying in a hotel, using pack transport, or taking a taxi the last km. In the end, we decided we were equally bad, so we'd celebrate our lack of achievement with a good bottle of wine followed by a good night's sleep in a comfortable and quiet hotel.

Hello everyone!

Quick question....... What is it like walking through the larger towns and cities? is the path well marked? is it easy to get lost?

Much Thanks
Darren
Never got lost. Just keep your eyes peeled and you wont go wrong. However, I hated the cities, much prefer being in the countryside and small villages. The walk out of Leon is particularly horrendous. On my second camino, I went to the main bus stop in the plaza just down from the cathedral and got the bus out to La Vergin

Leaving Santo Domingo de la Calzada in the early morning dark, we crossed the bridge and kept walking only to find after a while that there were no way markers. We checked our guide and realized that we should have veered off to the right immediately after crossing the bridge.....even with our headlights, we had missed the arrow. After we corrected our mistake we found ourselves calling out to others, who were obviously making the same mistake we had. As someone else mentioned it is a good idea to have a look at your guide the night before to at least get an idea of the lay of the land the next morning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Darren - first of all, cheers to your upcoming camino :) I had to pay more attention in cities than rural areas, and in spite of that, I managed to get off track - only by a few kilometers - in the country! The best indication that you've managed to get off track is the lack of familiar looking persons :) If you don't see a pack and walking sticks or hiking poles attached to persons around you for a stretch, you may have missed a way-mark. Having said that, it's pretty rare to lose your way. Buen Camino!

Hello everyone!

Much Thanks
Darren
I find that is always easy to get lost in cities. However, I try to keep in mind our good fortune. We have those precious yellow arrows whereas folks from years gone by hadn't. Think of the pilgrims of many years gone by. No guide books either. You can ask people in the streets or aim for the cathedral of places like Burgos and Santiago but I would say just plod on. Really. It gets me where I want to be without a guide book. It is a truly amazing feeling to be able to walk through a city completely new to me and get out at the other side. I don't actually want too much assistance because I want the good feeling it gives to succeed without. I can only say this works for me. For my Camino. Yours is yours and you absolutely must to it your way.

Keep your eyes open, you can easily miss an arrow if a car or truck gets in the way.
It's also tiring walking through places like Burgos and your attention can wander but you'll be surprised how often locals will set you right if they see you taking the wrong road.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looking for arrows or tiles, looking up high looking at ground level, looking on concrete electric poles, looking on curbs, looking for people with backpacks sitting at cafess...amazing how quickly you learn to enjoy your surroundings and still have one eye searching for the Camino. Strange thing is when you are off course you find yourself saing that something doesn't feel right.

But if you do get off course still take time to enjoy the day. ;)

...Strange thing is when you are off course you find yourself saing that something doesn't feel right.

But if you do get off course still take time to enjoy the day. ;)
Ten years ago on my first camino along the Valcarlos alternate all vibes were 'bad' although I had been diligently following the arrows. The sun seemed off its course and my feet were on the wrong bank of the stream!! Taking a deep breath I climbed out of the deep wood to seek help. Luckily a farmer in a distant pasture waved and came nearer. When asked where the camino path lay he pointed opposite to where I had been heading. When shown the last arrow that I had erroneously followed he replied "Oh those children they do SO enjoy confusing pilgrims!" He then turned that arrow to re-face in the correct direction. How lucky I was to have sensed something out of kilter and to have met the helpful farmer. ...Since then those arrows have gained a firm base which can NOT be easily moved yet I am still cautious when following that section.

Hello everyone!

Much Thanks
Darren
Hi Darren, keep your eyes open and you be fine. Wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Heehee - YES, we used a taxi - OMG :) We pulled up in front of the hotel and one of our friends was there, sitting outside having a drink. He gave us a ration for taking a taxi too - of course he had used pack transport that day to get over the mountain, which is why he was already there having a drink while we walked slower with our packs. We had a fun discussion about which was a worse pilgrim infraction - staying in a hotel, using pack transport, or taking a taxi the last km. In the end, we decided we were equally bad, so we'd celebrate our lack of achievement with a good bottle of wine followed by a good night's sleep in a comfortable and quiet hotel.
What's wrong with a hotel? We stayed in one in Molinaseca after a long day.
Privacy, spreading out your stuff on the floor without regard and a BIG TUB!

..... We have those precious yellow arrows whereas folks from years gone by hadn't............gets me where I want to be without a guide book. It is a truly amazing feeling to be able to walk through a city completely new to me and get out at the other side. I don't actually want too much assistance because I want the good feeling it gives to succeed without.......
Agree with you completely; a bit of a challenge is always more fun. The only reason I would use a guidebook for a city is so that I would be more knowledgeable about the area I was walking through. It would really upset me if I learned after the fact that I had missed something interesting because it was, say, one block off the marked route. And backtracking on the Camino is not the done thing, IMHO.

Agree with you completely; a bit of a challenge is always more fun. The only reason I would use a guidebook for a city is so that I would be more knowledgeable about the area I was walking through. It would really upset me if I learned after the fact that I had missed something interesting because it was, say, one block off the marked route. And backtracking on the Camino is not the done thing, IMHO.
Yes, I agree with that. I just do a bit of homework before I leave and jot it on my route planner. One small point that I could have written was that I have never heard of a pilgrim who was so lost in a city that they had to stop their Camino or turn back or any such thing. It may be difficult but we do all seem to get through these cities. As far as I know...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What's wrong with a hotel? We stayed in one in Molinaseca after a long day.
Privacy, spreading out your stuff on the floor without regard and a BIG TUB!

Nothing at all wrong with staying in a hotel, we did it a couple times :) But you know there are always those pilgrims who are "purists" and look down their noses at people who don't walk every inch of the Camino carrying their packs, always staying in the most basic of accommodations available - no taxis, no pack transport, no hotels ever - the "real" pilgrims :rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back