• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking to Jerusalem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinasky

Italian Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Aragones, Frances, Inglese, Primitivo, Via de la Plata, Invierno, Portoguese. From Torino to Rome.
Hello,
my name is Fabio and i’m an italian pilgrim/hiker. After walking several times the Camino de Santiago and the Via Francigena from my hometown near Turin to Rome, i’m dreaming/planning a camino in Holy Land, from Akka to Jerusalem in late october.

Looking on the web and reading an italian guide, i’ve discovered the Masar Ibrahim Al-Khalil, part of the Abraham Path, and that, in some part, it overlaps an italian idea for a trail called “il Sentiero del Discepolo” and that goes from Nazareth to Jerusalem passing through Jenin, Sebastia, Nablus, Duma, Taybeh and Jericho. I'm looking for all the info/advice/documentation i can collect in terms of safety, way marking, accomodations and so on. Unfortunately, all the mails sent to their accounts have not been answered.

First: is it safe for a small group of hikers/pilgrims to walk from Galilea to Jericho, after crossing the border at Jalameh, following part of their suggested plan? Some people, most of them are israeli, is telling me to avoid the Samaria, but i know for sure that a group of italian pilgrims had just walked the path without any kind of problem.

Thanks in advance. Cheers from Italy.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can't answer your question, but we did walk in Israel in 2014 from Nazareth to Tiberius and all was fine. We walked through Christian, Muslim and Jewish areas and always felt safe. We found all the people to be kind and helpful. You could always hire a guide. I think on the website for the Abraham Trail there is a section with guide info. Not for sure as it has been a while since I looked at that information.

I can only answer for the Palestinian part of the walk. And let's call it their real name - Palestine, not Samaria. The advantage of the walk in Palestine is that you have the opportunity to stay overnight in their homes. You share the meal with them in the evening and you get a breakfast in the morning. Everyone is curious about you and is happy to share their life stories with you. Far from all, speaks English but it is usually someone in the house who does.
Regarding security, i travel alone and I felt safe all the time as long as I met Palestinians.
The problem is when you come to the Israeli checkpoints inside the Palestinian area. Or if you are near Israeli settlements. They are so suspicious of what you do there.
Among other things, outside Nablus on the way south it is a fixed checkpoint, where it is forbidden to walk so you have to take a taxi and ask that they drop you a few kilometers from there. Or take another road.
When I walked 2014 it wasn't so great with signs so I recommend that you download GPS files.
Ingemar

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello,
my name is Fabio and i’m an italian pilgrim/hiker. After walking several times the Camino de Santiago and the Via Francigena from my hometown near Turin to Rome, i’m dreaming/planning a camino in Holy Land, from Akka to Jerusalem in late october.

Looking on the web and reading an italian guide, i’ve discovered the Masar Ibrahim Al-Khalil, part of the Abraham Path, and that, in some part, it overlaps an italian idea for a trail called “il Sentiero del Discepolo” and that goes from Nazareth to Jerusalem passing through Jenin, Sebastia, Nablus, Duma, Taybeh and Jericho. I'm looking for all the info/advice/documentation i can collect in terms of safety, way marking, accomodations and so on. Unfortunately, all the mails sent to their accounts have not been answered.

First: is it safe for a small group of hikers/pilgrims to walk from Galilea to Jericho, after crossing the border at Jalameh, following part of their suggested plan? Some people, most of them are israeli, is telling me to avoid the Samaria, but i know for sure that a group of italian pilgrims had just walked the path without any kind of problem.

Thanks in advance. Cheers from Italy.

Hi! You could try asking on Facebook, I know of two groups that may help:

- Jerusalem Way
Started by Johannes Aschauer who’s done some extensive walking in Israel ( from Germany to Jerusalem and other routes). I read his book but have forgotten the exact details.... He may have some up-to-date answers to your questions. (They put up those Jerusalem stickers you may have noticed on other caminos...)

- Confraternity of pilgrims to Jerusalem
Most people on there have or will be walking to Jerusalem and may have more information.

All the best and keep us posted!
Dominique

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks a lot @domigee. I'll follow your advice and will ask for help in those groups.
Bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back