• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking to Porto from Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Baggs

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - Another Portuguese with Variant Espiritual
Having walked the Camino from St Jean in September I am interested in picking up where I left off in Santiago next year and walking south to Porto. I have read about the Caminho Fatima and wonder if anyone knows how well the route is marked (with blue arrows) on the Spanish side from Santiago?
The Caminho Fatima web site doesn't give much information and their guide to walking it isn't yet available from Santiago to the Portuguese border. I understand that simply following the camino arrows in reverse can be problematic.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Having walked the Camino from St Jean in September I am interested in picking up where I left off in Santiago next year and walking south to Porto. I have read about the Caminho Fatima and wonder if anyone knows how well the route is marked (with blue arrows) on the Spanish side from Santiago?
The Caminho Fatima web site doesn't give much information and their guide to walking it isn't yet available from Santiago to the Portuguese border. I understand that simply following the camino arrows in reverse can be problematic.
Any advise would be appreciated.
You will have blue arrows pointing the right way often enough. Blue arrows will
separate from yellow arrows in town called Ansiao. In places where there will be no blue arrows backtracking the yellow arrows will be neccesary. This might be slight chalenge.
You could consider using my open source map which can be downloaded at caminhomap.com as a help in backtracking yellow arrows.
Best Regards and Bom Caminho

You will have blue arrows pointing the right way often enough. Blue arrows will
separate from yellow arrows in town called Ansiao. In places where there will be no blue arrows backtracking the yellow arrows will be neccesary. This might be slight chalenge.
You could consider using my open source map which can be downloaded at caminhomap.com as a help in backtracking yellow arrows.
Best Regards and Bom Caminho
If you walk from Santiago to Porto follow the blue waymarkers. From Santiago to Tui it is well waymarked.
Ansião is past Porto direction Lisbon or Fátima so this info is not relevant if you end up in Porto.
Mind that among the Portuguese the caminho to Santiago is not the first thing they think about. The caminho de Fátima is their most important caminho.
Portuguese walk the most straight line to Fátima so you will see lots of pilgrims walking on trainers and carrying a light daypack following the main roads on the hard shoulder instead of the paths the caminho to Santiago is leading to. . Regulairy happen accidents with victims involved . Portuguese are very nice people but once behind the steeringwheel of their cars, they drive like devils.So walking on the hardshoulder of especially the N routes is very dangerous.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back