• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking to Santiago de Compostela airport

MarieLauFlorin

Time of past OR future Camino
See list below
I would like to walk to the airport when returning from my next camino. I know everything about the good airport shuttle bus, but I would like to try walking.
1. Is the route marked?
2. Does anyone have a description of the route?
3. Does anyone have a map of the route or a GPS track of the route?

Thanks...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You walk the Camino Frances backwards, as the Frances skirts round the airport when it comes into Santiago.

Therefore, do not know which Camino you are walking next, but if it is the Frances, you will have already walked from the airport to Santiago, and therefore you will be walking the same route twice, except against the crowds. I would take the bus.

You do pass the airport... at the backside. I am sure taking a plane on that spot can be dangerous 🤡
I am pretty sure there are signs to the airport starting from Compostella. But I suppose it is not the safest way to travel to the airport.

Here is already an idea of the route (stolen from Google maps): Walking to Airport

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
How funny. I have already walked the last part of Frances, from where it joins Primitivo. Never saw any airport.... probably beacuse I was listening to the life story of a catholic priest I met that day... Have walked twice back to Monte de Gozo so I know some of the way then. And as I have the Frances map in my phone, I will walk with that. Thanks a lot...

Half the truth what is posted above.
You do pass the airport... at the backside. I am sure taking a plane on that spot can be dangerous 🤡
I am pretty sure there are signs to the airport starting from Compostella. But I suppose it is not the safest way to travel to the airport.

Here is already an idea (stolen from Google maps):

Walking to Airport
Well, then I will wait for an answer from someone that has walked there. People say it is not dangerous in any way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You walk the Camino Frances backwards, as the Frances skirts round the airport when it comes into Santiago.

Therefore, do not know which Camino you are walking next, but if it is the Frances, you will have already walked from the airport to Santiago, and therefore you will be walking the same route twice, except against the crowds. I would take the bus.
How funny. I have already walked the last part of Frances, from where it joins Primitivo. Never saw any airport.... probably beacuse I was listening to the life story of a catholic priest I met that day... Have walked twice back to Monte de Gozo so I know some of the way then. And as I have the Frances map in my phone, I will walk with that. Thanks a lot...
Did you open the link?
It is the walking route from santiago to the airport.
NOW I got it / tanks so much. I did not see the link at first...

Marie. Do it. I did last year and I loved it. As I was against the traffic I met up with so many people I'd seen over the last few weeks. It's a straightforward walk for the most part. Just follow the Frances route in reverse. You can't get lost, just look for where the pilgrims are coming from. Stay on route to Lavacolla then turn right on the main road straight to the airport. This is the potentially dangerous bit. Busy road with no separation for walkers. I think it's about 3km. I stayed in lavacolla then did this stretch at 5am. You might want to just get a taxi for this bit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A nice and interesting idea. I´d add to @Koidream and @Phil71 suggestions that (according to Google Maps, too) you can follow the Camino in reverse until just before it crosses the N-634 at Lavacolla, then trace your own path through the villages, almost to the airport. This could be more pleasant and safer. I'd print or take a digital copy of the map, because it is easy to get lost in the maze of village streets.
Best regards from Felipe, who likes to plan imaginary trips.

1548440799171.png

@MarieLauFlorin
I did the reverse Frances route in 2017 because of the bus strikes.
Very easy walk, spending a lot of time explaining to Santiago-bound pilgrims that I was not going the wrong way. It did however, give me chance to practice my language skills in Spanish, French, Italian, German, Dutch, Russian, Japanese, et al...…....…….:)
A tip given to me by a local was to turn right immediately after spotting the scanning tower of the airport - this is short-cut avoiding most of the busy road mentioned previously. Also be aware that you need to bypass the original Airport building (not adequately signposted in 2017).
Buen Camino

Marie. Do it. I did last year and I loved it. As I was against the traffic I met up with so many people I'd seen over the last few weeks. It's a straightforward walk for the most part. Just follow the Frances route in reverse. You can't get lost, just look for where the pilgrims are coming from. Stay on route to Lavacolla then turn right on the main road straight to the airport. This is the potentially dangerous bit. Busy road with no separation for walkers. I think it's about 3km. I stayed in lavacolla then did this stretch at 5am. You might want to just get a taxi for this bit.

If you stay at the Lavacolla Albergue, the owner freely offers to drive you over that 3km stretch of highway as early as 5am....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well i wish I'd known that last year....

I would like to walk to the airport when returning from my next camino. I know everything about the good airport shuttle bus, but I would like to try walking.
1. Is the route marked?
2. Does anyone have a description of the route?
3. Does anyone have a map of the route or a GPS track of the route?

Thanks...
Just walk back to Lavacolla. Its strange how no-one I know, myself included, has ever walked back to the airport. They have just walked 800 km and a wee walk back to the airport is too much. Hard to believe, isn't it :)

Did you open the link?
It is the walking route from santiago to the airport.
The route is correct up to first roundabout. But you will go to the Terminal are you?
So you will follow the sidewalk up to second roundabout. Right after this roundabout you will cross the road, turn right and follow the signs leading to the Terminal.
For me was pleasure to walk to the Airport after I completed my Camino last year.
Yes, from Lavacolla to first roundabout there is no sidewalk on the road, but the walk was not too dangerous.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well i wish I'd known that last year....

I have walked too, but not at 5am :) I walked 'the day before' to see if there were lockers at the airport. Not. I would have left my pack for the next day

The route is correct up to first roundabout. But you will go to the Terminal are you?
So you will follow the sidewalk up to second roundabout. Right after this roundabout you will cross the road, turn right and follow the signs leading to the Terminal.
For me was pleasure to walk to the Airport after I completed my Camino last year.
Yes, from Lavacolla to first roundabout there is no sidewalk on the road, but the walk was not too dangerous.
Thanks a lot. These corrections, are they for the Google maps route that there has been linked to?

Thanks a lot. These corrections, are they for the Google maps route that there has been linked to?
Exactly!
Sorry, I didn't mention, my correction is for the route on the Google Maps after the first roundabout near the airport.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Exactly!
Sorry, I didn't mention, my correction is for the route on the Google Maps after the first roundabout near the airport.
Thanks. I think I will track my route when I do it in order to be able to share the correct route with other pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back