• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking to Santiago from Porto

Luke Baldacchino

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All,

We are a group of Maltese youths and we are planning to walk the below route:

Porto-Povoa de Varzim
Povoa de Varzim-Esposende
Esposende-Viana Do Castelo
Viana Do Castelo-Caminha
Caminha-Valenca
Valenca-Redondela
Redondela-Pontevedra
Pontevedra-Caldas de reis
Caldas de reis-Padron
Padron-Santiago

What do you suggest?? Are there any better Routes?

What about lodging in each stop? Are there any camino friendly hostels?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Luke...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2018. Gronze.com has excellent information on the Caminho Portugues it will show both the Costa route ( you outlined) and the interior route. Hit on any starting point or selected destination and it provides good solid info.
Bom Cominho
Arn

Luke...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2018. Gronze.com has excellent information on the Caminho Portugues it will show both the Costa route ( you outlined) and the interior route. Hit on any starting point or selected destination and it provides good solid info.
Bom Cominho
Arn
The interior route is misleading. The interior route goes at the far west of Portugal.
You mean the central route. It goes from Porto to Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valença do Minho/Tui to Redondela, Pontevedra ,Caldas de Reis and Padrón to Santiago

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The interior route is misleading. The interior route goes at the far west of Portugal.
You mean the central route. It goes from Porto to Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valença do Minho/Tui to Redondela, Pontevedra ,Caldas de Reis and Padrón to Santiago
Albertinho,
You are correct. I didn’t realize there were three routes: the costa ( along the Atlantic), the Central and interior route. Thank you
Arn

Hi All,

Porto-Povoa de Varzim
Viana Do Castelo-Caminha
Caminha-Valenca
Valenca-Redondela
Redondela-Pontevedra
Caldas de reis-Padron
Padron-Santiago

Look here : https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues or here : http://santiago-compostela.net/camino-portugues/ . Buen Caminho!

Bom Cominho
Arn
Is there somewhere on this site I can translate the info to English?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is there somewhere on this site I can translate the info to English?
Which Camino you want to go and what kind of information you want! I can not handle the forum, can you write to me by email?

Note from moderator: private email addresses cannot be put on the forum. Puiu, if you want to communicate directly with Mars R, put your cursor over the avatar, and you will see an option to "start a conversation."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Porto-Povoa de Varzim
Viana Do Castelo-Caminha
Caminha-Valenca
Valenca-Redondela
Redondela-Pontevedra
Caldas de reis-Padron
Padron-Santiago

We walked on to Scala; made a shorter walk to S.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All,

Porto-Povoa de Varzim
Viana Do Castelo-Caminha
Caminha-Valenca
Valenca-Redondela
Redondela-Pontevedra
Caldas de reis-Padron
Padron-Santiago

Look here : https://juliedawnfox.com/portuguese-way-of-saint-james/ or here : https://juliedawnfox.com/portfolio/what-is-the-central-portuguese-camino-de-santiago-like/ search and here : https://www.pilgrim.es/camino-portugues/

Hi All,

Porto-Povoa de Varzim
Viana Do Castelo-Caminha
Caminha-Valenca
Valenca-Redondela
Redondela-Pontevedra
Caldas de reis-Padron
Padron-Santiago

I did this route up to caminha but continued along the coast via A Guarda Baiona and Vigo to Pontevedra. There is also an option to take the variant espiritual route after Pontevedra as an alternative to Caldas. My blog has links you might find helpful...www.stevov.wordpress.com bom Caminho!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi All,

Porto-Povoa de Varzim
Viana Do Castelo-Caminha
Caminha-Valenca
Valenca-Redondela
Redondela-Pontevedra
Caldas de reis-Padron
Padron-Santiago

Luke, here is my Camino Portugues, written in English and my final stages are a work still in progress. I should finish the final stages by the end of the month. You can see my route/stages in the map on the page link here. I did mostly the Senda Litoral along the Coast, like you are doing. You will love it! Start from Porto on my day fifteen. Pilgrimage Traveler ~ The Many Ways on the Camino Portugues

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi All,

Porto-Povoa de Varzim
Viana Do Castelo-Caminha
Caminha-Valenca
Valenca-Redondela
Redondela-Pontevedra
Caldas de reis-Padron
Padron-Santiago

Opens each stage, and below the map are presented albergues in that locality. If you click on the albergue, it shows details about it! - https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues . Look here, and make the same think : http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back