• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking to Santiago the day of sailing

Jolba

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France April 2017
Hello Everyone, I was wanting to hear about your experience if you have walked to Santiago the same day that you sailed to Pontecesures. I have booked for 8am departure and estimate to start walking about 9:30am all going well. Is this reasonably achievable? Loving the forum and can't wait to start from Porto early July.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It’s about 26km so I would say it should be doable starting at 9:30am, but it depends on how far/fast you typically walk, whether you want to spend time in Padrón and whether you want to arrive in Santiago in the late afternoon after a long day.

It’s about 26km so I would say it should be doable starting at 9:30am, but it depends on how far/fast you typically walk, whether you want to spend time in Padrón and whether you want to arrive in Santiago in the late afternoon after a long day.
Good points. As I want to spend sometime in padrón and want to arrive. Santiago midday. I'm spending the night in areal

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Everyone, I was wanting to hear about your experience if you have walked to Santiago the same day that you sailed to Pontecesures. I have booked for 8am departure and estimate to start walking about 9:30am all going well. Is this reasonably achievable? Loving the forum and can't wait to start from Porto early July.
hi, I’m curious how you “booked your departure” on the boat. I had thought that departure depended on the tides, and that pilgrims had to wait (after getting a ticket at the albergue the night before). Am I missing something? Are you leaving from V. Arousa? Thanks for any enlightenment.

hi, I’m curious how you “booked your departure” on the boat. I had thought that departure depended on the tides, and that pilgrims had to wait (after getting a ticket at the albergue the night before). Am I missing something? Are you leaving from V. Arousa? Thanks for any enlightenment.
I was able to book through https://www.amareturismonautico.com/
+34 650 410 322 | info@amareturismonautico.com
They were very responsive in English!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had thought that departure depended on the tides, and that pilgrims had to wait (after getting a ticket at the albergue the night before). Am I missing something?
You are missing something but I am not surprised! Boat sailing times and the ebb and flow of the tides seemed (to me) to be the dark art of the Variante. I couldn't work out how to plan my overnight stops if I didn't know when the boat would leave. Would I have time to walk to Vilanova, enjoy a coffee and a croissant before catching the boat or would I need to spend the night in Vilanova and be packed and ready to go at the crack of dawn? In desperation I contacted the boat operators Bahia-Sub by WhatsApp (+34 607 911 523) and they could not have been more helpful. I discovered that these salty sea dogs know the times of the tides months in advance and you can book your boat months in advance using their website.
https://app.mruta.com/la-barca-del-peregrino/reservation-now
I took a quick look just now and it seems like they have published sailing times through to the end of September.
Only caveat is that they only give you the sailing time of the 'big boat'. I have heard tell that if you are travelling at a busy time they sometimes put on a smaller second boat with a later sailing time if there are sufficient numbers to fill it. So you can take your choice. Book now and know what time you are sailing and that you have reserved a place or wait until closer to the time when there may be a later sailing and they may have room for you.
Other boat operators are available but I have found Bahia-Sub delightful.
Hope this helps.

I arrived around 1330 today into Padron via Bahia Sub. Departure was promptly at noon. That gave me a chance to do laundry and sleep in just a wee bit. Once I disembarked, I walked past my accommodations until I got tired, called a cab in Escravitude and went back to Padron for the night. Tomorrow I will taxi back to Escravitude and finish my 16ish km to Santiago after a glorious evening in Padron. Just a thought. Worked for me maybe not for anybody else.

See kymxyz link. Easy to book

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you Jungle boy. I was working on 28 kms so two less is nice! Not too fussed about arriving later as we continue to Finesterre and Muxia before celebrating back in Santiago. Do you know is it possible to collect Compostela when we return from Muxia as we probably won’t have time to get it on first arrival?

I arrived around 1330 today into Padron via Bahia Sub. Departure was promptly at noon. That gave me a chance to do laundry and sleep in just a wee bit. Once I disembarked, I walked past my accommodations until I got tired, called a cab in Escravitude and went back to Padron for the night. Tomorrow I will taxi back to Escravitude and finish my 16ish km to Santiago after a glorious evening in Padron. Just a thought. Worked for me maybe not for anybody else.
How much does Bahia Sub cost? I looked at their website and it is in Spanish and so I am not great at reading it, but it was difficult to find any information on departure times or pricing.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, I've just done this route and we walked to Milladoiro after the boat and stayed at the excellent albergue there. We found that this was far enough and were quite tired by the time we arrived. The walk into Santiago the next day was very pleasant and it was great to arrive when the square was a bit quieter. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I am about to set off on the Camino Portuguese and intend to take the Variante Espiritual. Due to nothing but my own stupidity I realise that I have a spare 4 days between Pontevedra and SDC...
Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back