• Update 2: We should be back as normal now. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Tour of Santiago - Need Help

stratophile

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a small project and wanted to get feedback on it from all the experts here before I finalize everything. I'm creating a walking tour of Santiago that explores most of the notable attractions and neighborhoods in and around the 'old town' of the city. The tour will include detailed walking directions, a GPS track, and descriptions of the various attractions. The impetus for the tour came from a friend's request that I create one for him and his wife to use at the end of their Camino in May. I figured I might as well 'do it right' and release it for others as well if there is interest.

My plan is to distribute this in three ways:

1. As a PDF file plus KML file posted as a resource here on the forums. The KML file will include the route itself plus the locations of all the attractions. The PDF file will include walking directions and information on each of the attractions.

2. As a page on my own website. That version would include an interactive map (like the other maps I use on my site) plus the walking directions, etc.

3. As a mobile app that can be downloaded and used offline while on the walk. This version would include the same content as the website (except available offline) plus detailed offline maps, an 'intelligent' compass that shows you which way to go next based on your current location, and various other 'mobile-specific' features. The underlying app already exists - I created it for use in some other projects; I'll simply be releasing it with this tour as the content. The app will be free and there won't be any advertisements.

For clarity, this is a non-commercial project.

I've been giving a lot of thought to what would be a good 'base route' that people could use either as-is or as the basis for designing their own personal route around Santiago. My criteria were the following:

a. Should be a loop, so that people could start it anywhere along the route.

b. Should incorporate most of the major attractions / viewpoints that could realistically be reached on a single walk.

c. Have convenient locations where the route could be modified, such as sections being dropped or other areas added on, depending on your interests / time.

d. Should be suitable as a half-day or full-day walk depending on how much time people wanted to spend at various locations. Ideally, the route would even be suitable as a 2-hour(-ish) walk if some sections were dropped.

e. Act as a source of ideas for people planning their own walking tour but who don't necessarily want to follow this particular one.

I would very much like to get feedback on my plans for the project (other distribution methods, for example), the design criteria I've used, the intended route, and/or the attractions I should highlight along the way.

Below is an outline of the route / attractions that I currently have in mind (omitting descriptions, etc). I have created a temporary website page showing this draft route as an interactive map (URL is below). However, please use the notes below to see what the tour will emphasize / talk about along the way:

1. Praza do Obradoiro
- Start in Praza do Obradoiro at the 'end of the Camino' marker in the middle of the square. Work around the square clockwise.
- Cathedral
- Colegio de San JerĂłnimo (Colexio de San Xerome)
- Pazo de Raxoi
- Leave square to Iglesia de San Fructuoso then back to square.
- Hostal de los Reyes
- Pazo de XelmĂ­rez
- Through Arco do Pazo to:

2. Praza da Inmaculada
- Monastery / Church of San Martiño Pinario
- Porta do ParaĂ­so
- Continue around Cathedral to:

3. Praza da Quintana de Mortos
- Porta Santa
- Casa da Conga

4. Praza de las PlaterĂ­as
- Museo das PeregrinaciĂłns e de Santiago
- Clock tower
- Casa do Cabido
- Walk west one block, turn left onto RĂșa da Raiña to:

5. Praza de Fonseca
- Cut through the square to RĂșa do Franco
- Colegio de Fonseca

6. South of the Cathedral
- Walk down RĂșa do Franco
- Through Porta Faxeira
- Visit Parque de la Alameda
- Viewpoint / photos along hillside
- Iglesia de Santa Susana
- Exit park to: Prazo do Toural
- Park can be optionally skipped by going directly from RĂșa do Franco to Prazo do Toural.
- Through Prazo do Toural and north up RĂșa do Vilar
- Santiago Tourism Office
- Oficina de Turismo Galicia / Pilgrim's Information Office
- Pilgrims’ Office
- Historic houses
- Cafés / restaurants
- Turn right onto RĂșa de XelmĂ­rez
- Turn right onto RĂșa Nova
- Teatro Principal
- Iglesia de Santa María Salomé
- Left onto RĂșa Tras de SalomĂ©; follow around church
- Continue along RĂșa do Cardeal PayĂĄ.

7. University / Market Area
- Left onto Praza de Mazarelos
- Arco de Mazarelos
- Iglesia de la Compañía de JesĂșs
- Praza da Universidade
- Faculty of Geography & History
- Iglesia de San Fiz de Solovio
- Mercado de Abastos de Santiago (Food Market)
- North up RĂșa das Ameas
- Praza de Santo Agostiño
- Convento e Igrexa de Santo Agostiño

8. Northeast of Cathedral
- Turn left onto RĂșa de San Bieito then right onto RĂșa Travesa
- Iglesia de Santa María do Camiño
- Turn right onto RĂșa das Casas Reais
- Through Porto do Camiño
- Museo do Pobo Galego
- Centro Gallego de Arte ContemporĂĄnea
- Parque de Santo Domingo de Bonaval
- Follow RĂșa de RomĂłn del Valle InclĂĄn northwest
- Turn right onto RĂșa San Roque
- Convento de Santa Clara
- Cross street to Convento do Carme
- Walk southwest along RĂșa do Loureiros
- Turn left onto RĂșa do Hospitaliño
- Antiguo Hospital e Iglesia de San Roque
- Turn right onto RĂșa da Algalia de Abaixo
- Turn left onto Praza de Salvador Parga
- Iglesia de las Ánimas
- Turn right onto RĂșa das Ánimas to Praza de Cervantes.
- Iglesia de San Benito
- This entire section can optionally be skipped either by continuing west on RĂșa de San Bieito to Praza de Cervantes (instead of turning right onto RĂșa Travesa) or going west on RĂșa das Casa Reais towards Iglesia de las Ánimas (instead of turning right). Likewise, the section involving Convento de Santa Clara and Convento do Carme can be skipped simply by backtracking from Museo do Pobo Galego. Lastly, rather than turning left onto RĂșa do Hospitaliño, the walker could optionally turn right and proceed directly to Iglesia de San Francisco.

9. North of Cathedral / Finish
- From Praza de Cervantes, walk west along RĂșa de AcibecherĂ­a
- Turn right onto RĂșa da Troja
- Casa da Troja
- Praza de San MartĂ­n Pinario
- Iglesia de San MartĂ­n Pinario
- Optionally: Iglesia de San Miguel dos Agros
- Walk north along RĂșa Porta da Pena
- Down the stairs then left / west along Costa Vella
- Convento / Iglesia de San Francisco
- Left / south along RĂșa de San Francisco
- Finishing back at Praza do Obradoiro

Total walking distance is 5.25km. More than a third of that could easily be skipped using the options mentioned above for those pressed for time.

My questions:

a. Am I overlooking any notable attractions or viewpoints?
b. Any suggestions on improving the route / making it more flexible?
c. Any alternative 'tours' for which you'd recommend I also create routes?
d. Any suggestions on alternate / additional ways to distribute the route / make it more useful for pilgrims (and for 'plain old tourists' too, I suppose).

I've created a temporary 'internal' page on my website that shows this draft route and the location of most of the attractions mentioned above. It is zoomable and interactive, so you can 'walk' the route to test out the viability / suitability of the tour (you can even use Street View for most of the tour). There are no descriptions on the page — it is just there for you to look over the map for feedback purposes on the overall route. Also, the links for the displayed attractions still do not have full text - I'll be finishing the writing once I have finalized the route. Some of the links might still be broken.

Temporary map URL: http://trekopedia.com/?page_id=21022

Thanks in advance for any help. Subject to the feedback I get, I'm hoping to finish this over the next four or five days. I'll then do proofing / tweaking before releasing it as outlined above.

Note: I know that Santiago Turismo has some sort of MP3 'audio tour' available in both Spanish and English. I haven't tried it. One option might be to add an additional route that shows the same path followed by their 'tour'. Anyone know if many people actually use those audio tours?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As someone who gets lost easily, the mobile app with compass is brilliant!
I, for one, really appreciate your work on this cool resource.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a small project and wanted to get feedback on it from all the experts here before I finalize everything. I'm creating a walking tour of Santiago that explores most of the notable attractions and neighborhoods in and around the 'old town' of the city. The tour will include detailed walking directions, a GPS track, and descriptions of the various attractions. The impetus for the tour came from a friend's request that I create one for him and his wife to use at the end of their Camino in May. I figured I might as well 'do it right' and release it for others as well if there is interest.

My plan is to distribute this in three ways:

1. As a PDF file plus KML file posted as a resource here on the forums. The KML file will include the route itself plus the locations of all the attractions. The PDF file will include walking directions and information on each of the attractions.

2. As a page on my own website. That version would include an interactive map (like the other maps I use on my site) plus the walking directions, etc.

3. As a mobile app that can be downloaded and used offline while on the walk. This version would include the same content as the website (except available offline) plus detailed offline maps, an 'intelligent' compass that shows you which way to go next based on your current location, and various other 'mobile-specific' features. The underlying app already exists - I created it for use in some other projects; I'll simply be releasing it with this tour as the content. The app will be free and there won't be any advertisements.

For clarity, this is a non-commercial project.

I've been giving a lot of thought to what would be a good 'base route' that people could use either as-is or as the basis for designing their own personal route around Santiago. My criteria were the following:

a. Should be a loop, so that people could start it anywhere along the route.

b. Should incorporate most of the major attractions / viewpoints that could realistically be reached on a single walk.

c. Have convenient locations where the route could be modified, such as sections being dropped or other areas added on, depending on your interests / time.

d. Should be suitable as a half-day or full-day walk depending on how much time people wanted to spend at various locations. Ideally, the route would even be suitable as a 2-hour(-ish) walk if some sections were dropped.

e. Act as a source of ideas for people planning their own walking tour but who don't necessarily want to follow this particular one.

I would very much like to get feedback on my plans for the project (other distribution methods, for example), the design criteria I've used, the intended route, and/or the attractions I should highlight along the way.

Below is an outline of the route / attractions that I currently have in mind (omitting descriptions, etc). I have created a temporary website page showing this draft route as an interactive map (URL is below). However, please use the notes below to see what the tour will emphasize / talk about along the way:

1. Praza do Obradoiro
- Start in Praza do Obradoiro at the 'end of the Camino' marker in the middle of the square. Work around the square clockwise.
- Cathedral
- Colegio de San JerĂłnimo (Colexio de San Xerome)
- Pazo de Raxoi
- Leave square to Iglesia de San Fructuoso then back to square.
- Hostal de los Reyes
- Pazo de XelmĂ­rez
- Through Arco do Pazo to:

2. Praza da Inmaculada
- Monastery / Church of San Martiño Pinario
- Porta do ParaĂ­so

3. Praza da Quintana de Mortos
- Porta Santa
- Casa da Conga

4. Praza de las PlaterĂ­as
- Museo das PeregrinaciĂłns e de Santiago
- Clock tower
- Casa do Cabido
- Walk west one block, turn left onto RĂșa da Raiña to:

5. Praza de Fonseca
- Cut through the square to RĂșa do Franco
- Colegio de Fonseca

6. South of the Cathedral
- Walk down RĂșa do Franco
- Through Porta Faxeira
- Visit Parque de la Alameda
- Viewpoint / photos along hillside
- Iglesia de Santa Susana
- Exit park to: Prazo do Toural
- Park can be optionally skipped by going directly from RĂșa do Franco to Prazo do Toural.
- Through Prazo do Toural and north up RĂșa do Vilar
- Santiago Tourism Office
- Oficina de Turismo Galicia / Pilgrim's Information Office
- Pilgrims’ Office
- Historic houses
- Cafés / restaurants
- Turn right onto RĂșa de XelmĂ­rez
- Turn right onto RĂșa Nova
- Teatro Principal
- Iglesia de Santa María Salomé
- Left onto RĂșa Tras de SalomĂ©; follow around church
- Continue along RĂșa do Cardeal PayĂĄ.

7. University / Market Area
- Left onto Praza de Mazarelos
- Arco de Mazarelos
- Iglesia de la Compañía de JesĂșs
- Praza da Universidade
- Faculty of Geography & History
- Iglesia de San Fiz de Solovio
- Mercado de Abastos de Santiago (Food Market)
- North up RĂșa das Ameas
- Praza de Santo Agostiño
- Convento e Igrexa de Santo Agostiño

8. Northeast of Cathedral
- Turn left onto RĂșa de San Bieito then right onto RĂșa Travesa
- Iglesia de Santa María do Camiño
- Turn right onto RĂșa das Casas Reais
- Through Porto do Camiño
- Museo do Pobo Galego
- Centro Gallego de Arte ContemporĂĄnea
- Parque de Santo Domingo de Bonaval
- Follow RĂșa de RomĂłn del Valle InclĂĄn northwest
- Turn right onto RĂșa San Roque
- Convento de Santa Clara
- Cross street to Convento do Carme
- Walk southwest along RĂșa do Loureiros
- Turn left onto RĂșa do Hospitaliño
- Antiguo Hospital e Iglesia de San Roque
- Turn right onto RĂșa da Algalia de Abaixo
- Turn left onto Praza de Salvador Parga
- Iglesia de las Ánimas
- Turn right onto RĂșa das Ánimas to Praza de Cervantes.
- Iglesia de San Benito
- This entire section can optionally be skipped either by continuing west on RĂșa de San Bieito to Praza de Cervantes (instead of turning right onto RĂșa Travesa) or going west on RĂșa das Casa Reais towards Iglesia de las Ánimas (instead of turning right). Likewise, the section involving Convento de Santa Clara and Convento do Carme can be skipped simply by backtracking from Museo do Pobo Galego. Lastly, rather than turning left onto RĂșa do Hospitaliño, the walker could optionally turn right and proceed directly to Iglesia de San Francisco.

9. North of Cathedral / Finish
- From Praza de Cervantes, walk west along RĂșa de AcibecherĂ­a
- Turn right onto RĂșa da Troja
- Casa da Troja
- Praza de San MartĂ­n Pinario
- Iglesia de San MartĂ­n Pinario
- Optionally: Iglesia de San Miguel dos Agros
- Walk north along RĂșa Porta da Pena
- Down the stairs then left / west along Costa Vella
- Convento / Iglesia de San Francisco
- Left / south along RĂșa de San Francisco
- Finishing back at Praza do Obradoiro

Total walking distance is 5.25km. More than a third of that could easily be skipped using the options mentioned above for those pressed for time.

My questions:

a. Am I overlooking any notable attractions or viewpoints?
b. Any suggestions on improving the route / making it more flexible?
c. Any alternative 'tours' for which you'd recommend I also create routes?
d. Any suggestions on alternate / additional ways to distribute the route / make it more useful for pilgrims (and for 'plain old tourists' too, I suppose).

I've created a temporary 'internal' page on my website that shows this draft route and the location of most of the attractions mentioned above. It is zoomable and interactive, so you can 'walk' the route to test out the viability / suitability of the tour (you can even use Street View for most of the tour). There are no descriptions on the page — it is just there for you to look over the map for feedback purposes on the overall route. Also, the links for the displayed attractions still do not have full text - I'll be finishing the writing once I have finalized the route. Some of the links might still be broken.

Temporary map URL: http://trekopedia.com/?page_id=21022

Thanks in advance for any help. Subject to the feedback I get, I'm hoping to finish this over the next four or five days. I'll then do proofing / tweaking before releasing it as outlined above.

Note: I know that Santiago Turismo has some sort of MP3 'audio tour' available in both Spanish and English. I haven't tried it. One option might be to add an additional route that shows the same path followed by their 'tour'. Anyone know if many people actually use those audio tours?
Hi stratophile. I really like the idea of what you are creating. One of the places I always make a point of visiting is the market (sorry, I can't remember the name) where all the fresh vegetables, fish and meat is sold. I can see that the market is on the route you have already created. However, a couple of times when I visited some of the traders had already packed up for the day and many of of the great Spanish products were not available anymore. I think it would be a good idea to add notes to your guide and let people know when is the best time to experience specific places like the market. As I said, I have been to the market a few times and it is alway a really nice experience. There are many little bars, cafes and food stalls where great, simple and tasty foods are available. Occasionally you also get really nice entertainment from various kind of artists.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That sounds like a lot of work. It also sounds very useful. I would definitely put it to good use!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, Jayree. I recall seeing Johnnie Walker's guide previously -- very nicely done. What I am hoping to create will be a bit different, though. I don't want to duplicate what he has already done! :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back