• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Walking towards the Aragones

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
We're joining the growing number of pilgrims walking along these glorious paths. We started our 'there and back again' camino at the end of the Arles route and we're heading towards the Aragones in a few days. We've so far had a gloriously sunny day and a gloriously grey day too... but regardless of the weather the views have been perfect!

Here are a few photos... there are lots more on my blog : https://thenwewalked.blog/2021/07/11/chocolate/

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing 👍

BTW be prepared that the landscape will change significantly once you cross the Pyrenees and continue on the Camino Aragones. Unless things have changed significantly in the last year there is also rather far between the water posts so getting and especially adninistrating the water (and food) may take some planning and foresight. Just my experience and advice though. Bon Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

BTW be prepared that the landscape will change significantly once you cross the Pyrenees and continue on the Camino Aragones. Unless things have changed significantly in the last year there is also rather far between the water posts so getting and especially adninistrating the water (and food) may take some planning and foresight. Just my experience and advice though. Bon Camino!
Thanks... We'll make sure we plan well

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Especially after Jaca, where you are into meseta landscape. Try to make time to do side trips if you can to the monasteries of San Juan de la Peña and Leyre and Lumbier gorge. The tourist office will explain how to get to them. Great photos, by the way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Especially after Jaca, where you are into meseta landscape. Try to make time to do side trips if you can to the monasteries of San Juan de la Peña and Leyre and Lumbier gorge. The tourist office will explain how to get to them. Great photos, by the way.
I hadn’t heard of Leyre so I’ll add that to the list... thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We're joining the growing number of pilgrims walking along these glorious paths. We started our 'there and back again' camino at the end of the Arles route and we're heading towards the Aragones in a few days. We've so far had a gloriously sunny day and a gloriously grey day too... but regardless of the weather the views have been perfect!

Here are a few photos... there are lots more on my blog : https://thenwewalked.blog/2021/07/11/chocolate/

View attachment 104675

View attachment 104676

View attachment 104677

View attachment 104678

Really enjoying your posts @LesBrass !
Thank you for taking the time to share them here.
Will you go as far as Jaca and San Juan de la Pena? May you have fair weather and more glorious days!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Really enjoying your posts @LesBrass !
Thank you for taking the time to share them here.
Will you go as far as Jaca and San Juan de la Pena? May you have fair weather and more glorious days!

yes we hope so... we will go back to Urdos in a couple of days when the weather is better and walk to Somport and also from Somport to Canfranc... but we hope to keep going all the way to puente la Reina. We won’t have time to walk every step but we’ve chosen the best of the stages, following the recommendations from the experts on here. Today I’m planning on moving onwards towards Jaca 😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thankyou @LesBrass
What an absolutely ‘juicy batch’ of photos and descriptions on your posts.
I would love to be there - 🙃🙃 - just beautifully peaceful and inspiring ❤️🌸

buen camino to you and Gerry
Annie

Edit: I forgot to ask - how is the effect on your quads and calves ? Are there more gentle climbs & descents than what I see in the pics ?
looks so much tougher than the Sjpdp-Roncesvalles section of the CF.

I walked the Aragones from Oloron Ste Marie to Somport (Camino d'Arles) to Puenta la Reina, then on the Frances to Santiago, for my second camino. The walk up the Valee d'Aspe spreads out the climb over several days, and the final climb up to Somport is, in my opinion, much easier than the Napoleon. It is also much more solitary, which suited me just fine after the crowds on the Napoleon. And very beautiful. I shall go back one day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thankyou @LesBrass
What an absolutely ‘juicy batch’ of photos and descriptions on your posts.
I would love to be there - 🙃🙃 - just beautifully peaceful and inspiring ❤️🌸

buen camino to you and Gerry
Annie

Edit: I forgot to ask - how is the effect on your quads and calves ? Are there more gentle climbs & descents than what I see in the pics ?
looks so much tougher than the Sjpdp-Roncesvalles section of the CF.
Hi there... Just as @Albertagirl says its more gentle. I still think Hunto to Orisson is the steepest up 😂 because of Gerrys ankle we are avoiding lots of downs but generally what we've walked has been fine for me 😊

I had time to read your account, but am not near my password for signing in to give a like so here it is. Take good care, the temp is too high.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your photos are fantastic, I I definitely walked it too fast in 2019, I felt it at the time and I know missed a lot. Next time....

I love the Gorge and it’s unique history! Did you see the “Bridge of the Devil and Jesus”?

Just read your description for the day and WOW were you off course! 😂. There actually IS a path from the Leyre Monastery to Lumbier Gorge, much of what it sounds like you walked by accident. For future pilgrims, you can follow a path from Sanguesa to Lumbier through the Gorge and the Lumbier to Monreal for the next stage. Very enjoyable

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks again for sharing your journey and beautiful memories.
Carpe diem.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Today really was too hot for walking... I wonder how all the pilgrims walking coped today... I hope they took it easy 😊 Almost there 😊

View attachment 105385

View attachment 105386

View attachment 105387

View attachment 105388

View attachment 105389

More photos on my blog : https://thenwewalked.blog/2021/07/22/almost-there/
Actually, your photos would make a glorious book. When I was young I came across a one liner I have always recalled as by Ezra Pound: you'll not get Him all in a book. Maybe I made it up, that he was the author. I was fond of one liners. That was the height of my exposure to a lot of literature!
Anyway, my real point is: you have material for an exquisite Camino journey to delight actual and armchair pilgrims.

Thank you Pilgrims... I'm so glad that you enjoyed the photos and our COVID camino... we reached the end today at Eunate (@mspath I thought of you)... it seemed the right place to end.

I didn't take so many photos today... but a few more as always in the blog : https://thenwewalked.blog/2021/07/23/the-pandemic-made-us-do-it/

218934986_1217840055327598_2346808683845749773_n.jpg219166244_196655359082224_2363986394628016462_n.jpg218792178_357720382542983_5077114762392075996_n.jpg223125817_532651161411931_7810523608214434577_n.jpg

@kirkie - after the Lebaniago last year I made a photo book and I love it. When Gerry's mum died we found so many old photos and it made us think about digital photos... they're great for sharing online but would they stand the test of time.. so I plan to make a photo book of each of my caminos... It might take me a while :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back