• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking via de la plata in may - july

anita

Hi, i need some advice please. Will be walking the VdlP starting late May 2010. Using the 2004 book of Cole and Davies to do my planning. However, might be outdated in terms of costs and albergue/hotel names. Any recent walkers can you please assist? Anita

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Anita

More experienced walkers than me will contribute here, but I walked a chunk of the VDP in July and it was really hard because of the heat. I would not go back in that month.

Buen camino anyway! :arrow:

Hi Caminando, thanks for the advice - i am worried about the heat but will have to endure it since i have to plan my camino sabbatical to coincide with the world cup in SA, when i assume (hope i am right!) my work will slow down a bit. Any other advice re type of backpack, etc. will be so welcome!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
anita said:
Hi Caminando, thanks for the advice - i am worried about the heat but will have to endure it since i have to plan my camino sabbatical to coincide with the world cup in SA, when i assume (hope i am right!) my work will slow down a bit. Any other advice re type of backpack, etc. will be so welcome!

Hi Anita

I dont want to be negative, but I ignored all advice about the heat and paid the price. I began in Merida, started every day just before dawn, yet I fried by around 11.30. The heat was like a hammer. After a week or so, I hopped on a bus to begin again in Salamanca, where it was a little cooler. Now I would consider another way, for the VDP is tough.

On equipment, the forum is full of advice on that. But you only need a sac which will carry around 8-10 kgs. Footwear is important and a wide ranging topic. Please use a specific trekking boot, whatever type you choose. It need not be heavy or in leather, but something sturdy is needed. Many suffer in sports/training shoes. Use them plenty before starting, at home. Use 2 socks for blister prevention, one close fitting and thin, the other snug on top but not restricting. Personally I also use a big bandana which I continually soak in water, and stick that on my head.

Maybe more people will be along to offer ideas.

Do search around the forum for different views from mine and decide as you can.

Best wishes for your camino
Buen viaje, buen camino

Hi, Anita,
I'm walking the Vdlp in 2010 also, but will be beginning a little earlier. Though you will likely encounter some really hot weather, one thing to keep in mind is that if you start in late May, you should be out of Andalucia and Extremadura well before July. As you can see from this chart of average temperatures, there is quite a difference month to month:

http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Weather ... limate.htm

I know how frustrating it is having to schedule walking to fit with work, which is leading me to consider retirement. :) Laurie

Yes, that is what I wanted to say.... that by the time July hits you will be north in the mountains where it is significantly cooler.
Buen Camino
Lillian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back