• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking with 9yr old Porto to Santiago

Ntsiki Ndumela

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto
Hi planning to walk Porto to Santiago with my 9yr old son. It this doable? Anyone who has done it with a child? What should we consider for this trip?
Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi planning to walk Porto to Santiago with my 9yr old son. It this doable? Anyone who has done it with a child? What should we consider for this trip?
Thanks
I'm not sure were Porto is but we walked from Sarria to Santiago July 2016. We walked with our two sons ages 10 and 13yrs. The 13 yr. old had no trouble walking but it was difficult for the 10yr. old. It was hard for us adults too. Next time we do it again we will not walk more than 10 miles a day. 12 miles was just too much. Having good shoes is a must. All three of us had Solomon's and we put inserts in them and we had no trouble. The 10 yr. old didn't have good sturdy shoes and maybe that is the reason he had so much trouble. The kids seemed to enjoy it more once we stopped for ice cream and rest.

There is a grandfather walking the Portuguese at this moment with his 10 year old grandson.

EDIT: If you are planing on doing this route in 10 days, because there is another post like this one out there today, then I would say no. Too long a distance per day, unless you want a cranky child. Heck, I watched a 30 year old son walking 3 days to please his dad who had just finished the Frances and it was not pretty. :cool: Would the coast be better? I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
While walking the Portuguese I met a man and his niece walking together. She could not have been more than 10 and charmed all she met with her tiggerish energy. Even after climbing to the top of Alto da Portela Grande in fierce heat she could still jump about gleefully at the top. I don't know how far they were travelling together, but youthful enthusiasm can make an easy job of eating up the kilometres.

There is some rather dangerous road walking in parts. Fast cars with no bike lanes or pedestrian walkways. Narrow roads with little or no shoulder to walk on. Constantly looking over your shoulder when you hear a car. And lots of uneven walking on cobblestones. Just being honest here. Of course there are nice people and some lovely scenery but if it were me, I'd walk the Frances with a child.

Buen Camino whatever you choose.

I'm not sure were Porto is but we walked from Sarria to Santiago July 2016. We walked with our two sons ages 10 and 13yrs. The 13 yr. old had no trouble walking but it was difficult for the 10yr. old. It was hard for us adults too. Next time we do it again we will not walk more than 10 miles a day. 12 miles was just too much. Having good shoes is a must. All three of us had Solomon's and we put inserts in them and we had no trouble. The 10 yr. old didn't have good sturdy shoes and maybe that is the reason he had so much trouble. The kids seemed to enjoy it more once we stopped for ice cream and rest.
Dear Rosalinda, thank you very much for your response - it is very helpful. what kind of preparation to get the boys physically fit/ready to walk and for how before the trip? How many km did you do in total? Porto is in Portugal and the total km to Santiago is about 240. It is my son who has asked to joined me and I'm reluctant hence the research that I'm doing.

Looking forward to your response.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Rosalinda, thank you very much for your response - it is very helpful. what kind of preparation to get the boys physically fit/ready to walk and for how before the trip? How many km did you do in total? Porto is in Portugal and the total km to Santiago is about 240. It is my son who has asked to joined me and I'm reluctant hence the research that I'm doing.

Looking forward to your response.
It took us a year to save, plan and train for the trip. My husband is in excellent shape so he had no trouble with the walk. My kids and I are in average shape. They play soccer in the fall and spring. To prepare for the walk we did about four 10 mile walks at the state park here in Virginia. Here it took about maybe 4.5 hours at an average pace But I think with all the stopping we did on the Camino the first day 10 miles took us about 7 hours. We stopped a lot. We started walking pretty late compared to most people. We started anywhere from 9:00am-9:45am. Most days we were done by 4pm. With the exception of the last day. We arrived at the Cathedral of Santiago at 6:30pm. We walked a total of 108km. It took us six days. My kids did not ask to go on this trip. We made them. They were not happy. Yes, the first three days were very challenging. Not as much physical as it was mentally just hearing them complain. They would have rather been home playing XBOX. Things got better by day four. We had stopped at a little shop so the kids could get some snacks when I turned and saw the my husband's eyes were filled with tears when I asked him what was wrong he said that at that point he knew we were all going to make it to Santiago. He had seen the change in the boys attitude. It was fun seeing my husband and the boys talk for hours. One day it was about the WWE, another day it was about Soccer, and such. Making the boys go on the Camino was the best thing we have ever done for all of us as a family. We travel a lot but this really has brought us together. My husband and I were deciding what Camino to do next when the boys suggested we do the same one since they were also coming along. I never thought they would ever want to do it again. Now I'm trying to figure out where to walk next. I have a whole year to decide. I think my kids did not practice enough. Besides the 4 long walks we did we also walked several times to our local Trader Joe's. It is about 1.5miles each way. My suggestion is to start with short walks and then add more miles. If your son is the one asking to join you then I think this will make a big difference. I have no doubt that he will enjoy it very much. Had we taken our kids when they were much younger when they were "happier" and a lot more energetic we would not had the problems we had in the beginning.

Thanks
Perhaps starting in Barcelos would be more suitable. You will have the Pilgrims' Blessing service, which is a great way to establish the historical - if not the religious - significance of the journey, the wonderful bacelhau, then the route out of the town on a main road populated by giant Barcelos cockerels - see photo. Otherwise, starting from Ponte de Lima, but that involves a steady climb which, probably, is best undertaken after a preparatory couple of days of walking. Buen Camino! This is a wonderful adventure for you and your son.

Attachments

• WP_20160428_08_28_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160428_08_28_38_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Our kid was 13, I think, when we walked from Porto to Santiago. 9 days, perfectly pleasant walk, but a bit too much traffic some days. Depending on your kid, I might want another couple of days, so you can take a day off after a week, That really made a big difference when he was younger.

Alternatively, skip the first couple of days out of Porto, they're the least interesting, I think...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perhaps starting in Barcelos would be more suitable. You will have the Pilgrims' Blessing service, which is a great way to establish the historical - if not the religious - significance of the journey, the wonderful bacelhau, then the route out of the town on a main road populated by giant Barcelos cockerels - see photo. Otherwise, starting from Ponte de Lima, but that involves a steady climb which, probably, is best undertaken after a preparatory couple of days of walking. Buen Camino! This is a wonderful adventure for you and your son.
Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back