• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with a dog (not quite the same as other threads, promise!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferVeljaca

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi there,

There are a few (but not as many as I would expect?) questions on here about walking with a dog on El Camino but none of them really fit with what I need to know. Most of them also seem to be from 2011 or older, which means the info might be outdated

Overview:
- my dog is friendly, rarely barks
- we walk well over 15km every single day (and he's used to mountains, and I'm happy to avoid or detour anything dangerous)
- we are both from Croatia, which has a similar climate and we are used to all that entails
- we have lived in a tent for over 3 months previously, he's used to that too
- I speak intermediate Spanish and will be able to converse with a vet
- I am a single female and yes, that should be completely safe, but I prefer to have him with me
- there is no-one to look after him for a month
- we have done several 2 weeks+ walks together before and so it's not a case of "why did you get a dog then", I adopted my specific dog for all these traits
- essentially, all the things that have been mentioned in the previous threads are covered here

Questions:
- I am aware that I will not be able to stay in typical accomodations and will use a tent as much as possible and am happy to come off the trail for rest days in more expensive hotels. Does anyone know, from experience, which hostals have tent space?
- What are the rules in terms of picnics etc. outside as I will not be using restaurants (because of the dog)?
- Are there *any* albergues that take dogs?
- What is the best time of year to go so that I still meet people but reducing the chance that I will meet people who are scared of/allergic to dogs? I want to be as considerate as possible.
- If you really think it is a bad idea bearing all of this in mind, I won't do it. He's my highest priority and he is more important, so I will just continue life as is. However, if you have any tips or links, please let me know?

Thank you! I am sorry for the longer thread, but I wanted to make sure everyone didn't think I was ignoring all the other, older advice :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a lot not covered and, sorry, your thread isn't much different from other dog threads we had. And yes, I still believe that it is a very bad idea to take a dog on the Camino (obviously with the exception of registered assistance dogs as they are essential to the well-being/safety etc of their owners).

A few points you haven't covered:

How will you get your dog home again?
Have you considered how the village dogs will react to a strange dog invading their territory?
Have you looked up the rules/info regarding wild camping in this part of Spain?

Buen Camino, I suggest without your dog, and yes, welcome to the forum :)SY

Hi Jennifer,
I have seen a few pilgrims with dogs who got it right (for them and the dog). It does mean camping and if you choose an albergue with a bit of ground outside, they'll let you put up a tent and use the facilities (probably for a small fee, I never asked).
It means you have to let the dog rest (a lot). That is how I lost track of the people with (happy) dogs, they can't do that many kms a day.
I've only come across one (new) albergue that accepted a dog and I am sure they don't any more, that puppy had fleas ...
Picnics are fine anywhere you choose, just not allowed to light a fire of course.
People won't be scared of your dog if he is with you and if they are allergic, they'll stay well away so no need to worry about that.
My only worry is the NATIVE dogs, it is their territory and they are indeed used to pilgrims (on the camino francés) but might not necessarily be too welcoming to other dogs.....

I wish you well,
Dominique

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a lot not covered and, sorry, your thread isn't much different from other dog threads we had. And yes, I still believe that it is a very bad idea to take a dog on the Camino (obviously with the exception of registered assistance dogs as they are essential to the well-being/safety etc of their owners).

Have you considered how the village dogs will react to a strange dog invading their territory?

Hi,

I will get him home by car, possibly a rental. Another option is to continue walking (this is part of another stretch of 1 month + hikes) to a ferry port that will take me on to my destination. There is no "home" the needs to be attended as such; I work freelance and will likely be sorting out an onward journey rather than getting him to Croatia straight away.
Yes, I have considered this. It is perhaps my biggest worry regarding this, but it is the last thing I will think about when making a final choice: no point worrying about that if it is absolutely impossible to go in the first place.
Yes, I have looked them up but I would prefer to camp in the grounds or in official places and do not mind spending "extra" for some accomodations.

I cannot come without the dog at all, so no buen camino for me without the dog.

Thanks for your help! I didn't mean to sound offensive by saying it was slightly different to other threads, just I didn't want people to have to waste their time asking the same questions they asked in the other threads.

domigee said:
That is as much as expected. Thank you for your positivity. I am also wary of the native dogs (see above) but I have chosen not to worry about that until I know everything is possible. Here in Croatia and over in neighboring Bosnia and Serbia we have many stray dogs and we have always dealt with that, so it may just be a case of brushing up on our dog avoidance skills :)

To anyone else, there is an excellent resource in Spanish (I didn't think to look it up in Spanish before!) which lists all accomodation, vetenarians along the route, and sensible precautions at www.caminoconmiperro.com

Last edited:
Hi,

Here in Croatia and over in neighboring Bosnia and Serbia we have many stray dogs and we have always dealt with that, so it may just be a case of brushing up on our dog avoidance skills :)

I have never been to Croatia but I have walked through Serbia and Bulgaria. If you can cope with the stray dogs there, the few on the Camino in Spain will present no problem! :cool::D

I have never been to Croatia but I have walked through Serbia and Bulgaria. If you can cope with the stray dogs there, the few on the Camino in Spain will present no problem! :cool::D

Tell me about it! It takes time and patience for sure.

If you have never been to Croatia before, I very much recommend the Via Dinara as a beautiful long-distance walk :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok, I never thought I would write this on a forum - but all things considered (especially him being used to stray dog packs) and provided that you have no time pressure - go for it! And you two are welcome to stay with me once you have reached Santiago ;-)

As for time of the year - I would suggest to start the second half/end of September, weather should be still fair, but not too hot and the crowds are less.

Buen Camino con Perro, SY

PS What bread is he and can you post a picture of him pretty please :)

Ok, I never thought I would write this on a forum - but all things considered (especially him being used to stray dog packs) and provided that you have no time pressure - go for it! And you two are welcome to stay with me once you have reached Santiago ;-)

As for time of the year - I would suggest to start the second half/end of September, weather should be still fair, but not too hot and the crowds are less.

Buen Camino con Perro, SY

PS What bread is he and can you post a picture of him pretty please :)

Haha, he tends to win most people over even if it's me typing for him ;) thanks for your kind offer, I will be sure (if we can work out how to do it without missing too much of the spirit of the trail...) to send you a message then :)

I was thinking September too, so that is neat.

He is a Labrador cross and used to be one of the strays himself; maybe he speaks their language?

Thanks for your kind words again, I promise I wouldn't be even considering it if I was going to disrupt him or the trail!

Attachments

• IMG_20170521_200715759_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20170521_200715759_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 172
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Many dogs walking the Caminos. This spring it was a Cao de Agua on VDLP. She does this every year. Owner also walks with his mule. There were times where the dog simply slept outside of the albergue, by the main entrance. Other times she was off sleeping with the mule in which ever field the owner had found for the mule. Unbelievable dog this one. She even rode on the mule!

Another time it was a couple walking with their two Cao de Aguas, this time staying in pensiones. It had taken them quite a bit of planning to find the pensiones that allowed dogs, but it worked.

Another time was a large dog, on his 4th Camino I think. Ot was an older dog, 9 or 1o, and it was harder for him than it had been in the past. He and his owner were camping. Dog would wait by the albergues' door while owner enjoyed a shower. The challenge they had was that camping being illegal, they had to stay up late into the evening before setting up camp where they would not be seen.

And there was also the tiny dog who walks to Santiago and back home every year. But no idea where they slept.

I also once came upon a poor Greyhound at the Pilgrims' Office. The poor thing had apparently collapsed during its walk. These are sprinters, not hunters or hounds which have a lot more endurance. Epic lack of jugement on the part of that owner.

Lots of dogs by their owners on the cafe/bar/restaurant terraces. Well fed by pilgrims! ;)

Many dogs walking the Caminos. This spring it was a Cao de Agua on VDLP. She does this every year. Owner also walks with his mule. There were times where the dog simply slept outside of the albergue, by the main entrance. Other times she was off sleeping with the mule in which ever field the owner had found for the mule. Unbelievable dog this one. She even rode on the mule!

Another time it was a couple walking with their two Cao de Aguas, this time staying in pensiones. It had taken them quite a bit of planning to find the pensiones that allowed dogs, but it worked.

Another time was a large dog, on his 4th Camino I think. Ot was an older dog, 9 or 1o, and it was harder for him than it had been in the past. He and his owner were camping. Dog would wait by the albergues' door while owner enjoyed a shower. The challenge they had was that camping being illegal, they had to stay up late into the evening before setting up camp where they would not be seen.

And there was also the tiny dog who walks to Santiago and back home every year. But no idea where they slept.

I also once came upon a poor Greyhound at the Pilgrims' Office. The poor thing had apparently collapsed during its walk. These are sprinters, not hunters or hounds which have a lot more endurance. Epic lack of jugement on the part of that owner.

Lots of dogs by their owners on the cafe/bar/restaurant terraces. Well fed by pilgrims! ;)

Thanks so much for reassuring me. I would preeeefer not to illegally camp really but it's great to see that the dogs can sleep outside. Mine, unfortunately, does not do separation from me that well so I doubt I could do that...he's also scared of thunder so I'd be a bit worried about that unless he was in a tent with me. I will likely plan part of it and see how well my planning goes and bring a tent as well to try and keep the costs down :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Jennifer, I read your post with warm delight. As you can see from my photo, I’m devoted to my dogs as well. Your love and commitment and toughness and planning for your adventures with your dog inspires me. Best wishes for your shared Camino adventure and beyond!

Dear Jennifer,

It seems like you've thought this through. I would try to plan as much before by contacting Alburques, pensioners, etc. The website above looks helpful in this regard. Seems like a good idea to have a backup in case camping does not work for you. I have a cocker spaniel 13 who I would never leave for such a long time, so I understand. My trip will happen after my mom (92) and dog pass away. In the mean time I plan...Ever try essential oils like Lavender? Helped Cody with her anxiety around thunder storms...Good luck whatever you decide.
Micah

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whenever we are between dogs, we find it hard to go for a hike. What is the point, if there is no dog along? Have a good trip!

I applaud your commitment to walking the Camino with your dog.
I can't imagine anything better.
Right now I'm in between dogs but by this time next year I will have a new best friend. ( almost certainly a Labrador) And in the next few years I will do everything possible to have him/her walk the Camino with me.
I wish you both the best

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome, Jennifer,
You seem prepared and not naive - so buen camino to both you and Matzo (what a face!).
Another point to consider is bringing footwear for him. Where there are long stretches of pavement it can be terrible for those with bare paws.
I walked a fair amount in 2015 in the same rhythm as a guy from Italy who brought his 2 dogs (a Border Collie and a mixed breed); they were also used to long walking but were still wiped out at the end. His main headaches were big cities, where there were no places the dogs could safely sleep. So best plan your stages to sleep on either side of urban areas - or book a dog-friendly hotel.
Then this year I met a couple with a Newfoundland - at Albergue Jardin du Murzabel. A great place to stay even without a dog...but with a dog, there is a huge garden where the dog can sleep at night unmolested.

I applaud your commitment to walking the Camino with your dog.
I can't imagine anything better.
Right now I'm in between dogs but by this time next year I will have a new best friend. ( almost certainly a Labrador) And in the next few years I will do everything possible to have him/her walk the Camino with me.
I wish you both the best
I recommend a Labrador but if you can get one that's half something more muscle it will work well because I think the purebreds are quite lazy ;)

Whenever we are between dogs, we find it hard to go for a hike. What is the point, if there is no dog along? Have a good trip!

This is exactly it for me. I got a dog because of the companionship but also because I wanted to walk more and now I feel like I couldn't without him, it would be pointless

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jennifer - of course you must take your dog!!! I have met many pilgrims with dogs on Camino and they all had the same thing in common - all the pilgrims (and their dogs) were relaxed and happy. When out on Camino doing first aid (with a car) I met a German woman with a dog at Los Arcos .. her dog was unused to long distances and had very short legs! and by the time they got to Los Arcos form St Jean the dog was exhausted. The next day I took them to Logrono where they rested for a further day. I recently received a mail from her saying that after the lift and the rest day her dog was back to its old self and they then walked happily all the way to Santiago with no further problems.

I think that you will love it, sharing your Camino with your dog ...should be plenty of Refugios who will let you sleep in the garden with your dog. The big refugio in Puente La Reina at the end of town (go over the medieval bridge and up the track opposite for 100 metres) welcomes pilgrims with dogs and with tents and has them stay in the pretty garden - there is a swimming pool there too!

Anyone know the location of other refugios where dogs are accepted or garden sleeping is?

Only "problem" and it isn't a problem really, is that you will have to factor in extra weight - but I think it is well worth it to have your dog with you (and, you already know that your dog is going on Camino with you!!! ;) .

Buen Camino!! Both of You!!

I recently met a Mexican lady walking with her dog. More people knew the name of the dog than her name, and would often call her by her dog's name. The dog had her own backpack with her food and water. She would put Vaseline on her dogs paws.

She said that she was constrained in where to stay by which places would take dogs, and always booked ahead and sent her pack on, but managed to always have somewhere to stay.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We thought about taking our dog but we are glad that we didn't. I don't recommend others taking a dog on a camino either. But you seem prepared and know the problems you face. I'm sorry that I don't have the kind of information that you have asked for but I do have some concerns and ideas for you.

One concern is of the dog running away or being driven away. Somewhere I read of a camino dog running away from fireworks. The owner spent days looking for the dog and I don't know if she found the dog or not. The ideas below are intended to help you get your dog back if something similar happens to you.

I think it may be a good idea to have your dog wear a body harness in addition to a collar. This will make it easier to leash or grab the dog if it goes out into the road or chases something. It would be easier to attach lost dog information too. Make up a packet for that. The packet could have the name of your dog in large letters so someone could call your dog by name from a distance.

Your dog's packet should have a picture of you and another picture of the dog. Your phone number and another, alternate phone number (such as a relative or friend still at home) in case you are out of cell phone range. Indicate that you are an English speaker so the finder could find a friend who speaks English to call you or your alternate. Also include your email address, website URL, Facebook page, etc. Maybe instructions to contact the police if no other way is possible. Indicate a reward. The dog's name of course and maybe some useful commands that the dog knows that will help the finder (come, sit, stay, down, etc.) All text should be in both English and Spanish (well except for the dog commands unless your dog is bilingual.)

The dog collar can have a tag "if lost call ... or see webpage ..." This in case the dog is lost without the harness packet.

Indicate what shots the dog may have had.

Maybe have a few dog treats in the packet so a finder can befriend your dog.

Indicate that you are a pilgrim. Maybe attach a scallop shell to the packet.

You could have a dog packet too. Your own lost dog packet should include a couple of copies of a picture of your dog with and without the harness. This is to show locals what to look out for. A dog wearing a harness but running free will grab the attention of someone more than just the dog. A picture of the dog in harness saves you a lot of talking in Spanish if the dog is actually wearing it when lost. Have pictures of the dog on your phone as well.

Carry a description of the dog in written form in both English and Spanish in case you need to create a lost dog poster. You want English too so pilgrims can help out. Have a copy on the phone.

Try to get a list of veterinarians ahead of time and keep a paper copy and a copy on your phone. Maybe in your dog's harness packet too in case your lost dog is found injured.

Carry a cellphone and enough cash to take a taxi to a town with a vet. The dog might not be allowed on public transportation. Remember that the town may be far away.

Last year it was my dog I missed most while walking on the Camino. Not only did I miss her, but also suffered from not having her with me. My husband had to send me a photo of Molly regularly so that I could be sure everything was alright with her ;). So I can understand people who feel that they can't walk without their best friend. However, I agree with Rick of Rick and Peg and I would never walk the Camino with my dog. I saw some really exhausted dogs suffering on the Way.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The above advice is the best yet. Working at the Pilgrim Office for the past four years as a volunteer, I have seen the wide range of dogs that accompany pilgrims. From these observations, I can add to what has already been stated above:

1. Identification - If Matzo gets "misplaced." Rick or Rick & Peg covered this very well. You should heed their advice.

2. CHIP IT! - If your dog is chipped, the ID collar or tag should stated "CHIPPED." If your dog is NOT chipped, please, please SERIOUSLY consider having this done.

3. First Aid - Have first aid supplies for Matzo as well as you. Consult your veterinarian for what you should have. Consider that Matzo's paws might get abrasions or scrapes. Thorns and brambles are also issues. Have a tick remover tool and sterile tweezers to remove anything that punctures the skin. Also, can you treat doggie diarrhea if Matzo ingests something he ought not to have?

4. Hydration - This is even more important for the dog than for you. A loyal dog will follow their owner into the fires of hell. But, an owner that does not keep his / her dog properly fed and hydrated deserves to go there (IMHO). Keep a collapsible bowl and fresh water available at all times. Do not depend on finding water in the wild, or the next fuente. It means you must carry more, but there are small backpacks for dogs. The better ones incorporate a body harness, reflective panels for visibility, and a grab handle on the top, along the spine. Consider having Matzo carry his water bowl, some water, food and first-aid supplies.

5. Walk at Matzo's pace - Consider that your dog must take three or more steps to your one. This is the same rule that applies to all human groups. The group can only walk as fast as its slowest member.

6. Groom your dog. Have the necessary grooming supplies with you. Dogs do tend to go off wandering. They will run through all sorts of stuff in fields and woods. You need to keep the dog's coat groomed.

7. Leash - You must have a leash, preferably an extendable type, that you can attach to Matzo's harness when you are in a town or city and traffic is an issue, when other loose dogs are nearby, or anywhere, and anytime Matzo's safety might be at risk. Along the various Camino routes, you must occasionally walk against oncoming traffic along the verge / shoulder of a road. Some of these roads have high speed limits (70 Kph). You MUST be able to keep Matzo very close to you while you are on these stretches.

8. Booties - Rick touched on this as well. If Matzo can be trained to walk in four little overshoes, investing in a set would not be a bad idea. As silly as they look to some, there are stretches of Camino that are very rocky, not gravel mind you, but large rounded stones. A dog might have a problem with traction. The booties could help. Similarly, if you encounter mud they might also help prevent injuries.

9. NO sticks! Many, too many dogs in rural Spain are trained as puppies by being hit or prodded with a cane, pole, or stick. I am not editorializing, just stating facts as told to me by Spanish friends. As a result, many local dogs 'freak-out' when pilgrims walk through swinging hiking poles. Even when using these hiking sticks as intended, the click-clack and swinging poles, can agitate many dogs. It reminds them of a severe or brutal childhood.

When I see a dog behind a fence or wall in the distance, or walking in the street...or sleeping in the street (they do seem to do this on sunny days)...I stop using my poles and just carry them quietly. If the dog(s) bark, I greet them ('buenos dias, tarde,' etc.), tell them (in Spanish) that they are good dogs ('bueno perro'), and instruct them to be tranquil ('tranquilo'). I do not shout, but speak in a normal conversational tone.

10. NO strays! In Spain, rural dogs are generally working dogs. They are, for the most part, considered farm animals first, and pets second. It is common to see them, without collars or ID, roaming the paved streets in small villages and hamlets. I have never had a problem in five Caminos.

DO NOT allow any dog to follow you more than a few hundred yards. You must verbally order them to "Va a la casa!" "Go to your home." Be as assertive as you need to be, without harming them, to get the dog to turn around and walk back to where they came from. Failing to do this will likely mean you picked up a tag-along friend.

Consider that, once you are half a kilometer or more from their home, they become disoriented and can lose the ability to find their way home. Moreover, once you feed or water this new addition to your Camino family, you are stuck with it.

Working at the Pilgrim Office, I have seen far too many dogs abandoned by pilgrims outside the Pilgrim Office, who claimed that the dog "just followed them...for five days!" It never occurs to some pilgrims to not allow this. They allow the dog to follow them, feed and water the dog for the remainder of their Camino, then blithely walk away from this responsibility...it's NOT my dog...why should I care...?

These farm or country dogs do not usually wear identification. They are not chipped, and the Pilgrim Office has to call Santiago Animal Welfare to take the dog to the animal "shelter." This is very upsetting for all concerned.

For the record, I am a cat person. But, I have seen too many dogs whose owners did none of the above. Hence, my concerns.

You seem to be a smart, considerate dog-owner who loves your dog and Matzo clearly loves you. Please consider that close bond when making the Camino. Follow Camino Rule Five (paraphrasing) - "do unto Matzo, as you would have him do unto you." This said, and of all the previous columns in the forum about this, your preparation and awareness seems to be better than any I have yet read about. Good for you.

I must qualify this, as I cannot have read EVERYTHING ever posted in the Forum about walking the Camino with a dog.

All said, I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We thought about taking our dog but we are glad that we didn't. I don't recommend others taking a dog on a camino either. But you seem prepared and know the problems you face. I'm sorry that I don't have the kind of information that you have asked for but I do have some concerns and ideas for you.

One concern is of the dog running away or being driven away. Somewhere I read of a camino dog running away from fireworks. The owner spent days looking for the dog and I don't know if she found the dog or not. The ideas below are intended to help you get your dog back if something similar happens to you.

I think it may be a good idea to have your dog wear a body harness in addition to a collar. This will make it easier to leash or grab the dog if it goes out into the road or chases something. It would be easier to attach lost dog information too. Make up a packet for that. The packet could have the name of your dog in large letters so someone could call your dog by name from a distance.

Your dog's packet should have a picture of you and another picture of the dog. Your phone number and another, alternate phone number (such as a relative or friend still at home) in case you are out of cell phone range. Indicate that you are an English speaker so the finder could find a friend who speaks English to call you or your alternate. Also include your email address, website URL, Facebook page, etc. Maybe instructions to contact the police if no other way is possible. Indicate a reward. The dog's name of course and maybe some useful commands that the dog knows that will help the finder (come, sit, stay, down, etc.) All text should be in both English and Spanish (well except for the dog commands unless your dog is bilingual.)

The dog collar can have a tag "if lost call ... or see webpage ..." This in case the dog is lost without the harness packet.

Indicate what shots the dog may have had.

Maybe have a few dog treats in the packet so a finder can befriend your dog.

Indicate that you are a pilgrim. Maybe attach a scallop shell to the packet.

You could have a dog packet too. Your own lost dog packet should include a couple of copies of a picture of your dog with and without the harness. This is to show locals what to look out for. A dog wearing a harness but running free will grab the attention of someone more than just the dog. A picture of the dog in harness saves you a lot of talking in Spanish if the dog is actually wearing it when lost. Have pictures of the dog on your phone as well.

Carry a description of the dog in written form in both English and Spanish in case you need to create a lost dog poster. You want English too so pilgrims can help out. Have a copy on the phone.

Try to get a list of veterinarians ahead of time and keep a paper copy and a copy on your phone. Maybe in your dog's harness packet too in case your lost dog is found injured.

Carry a cellphone and enough cash to take a taxi to a town with a vet. The dog might not be allowed on public transportation. Remember that the town may be far away.

The above advice is the best yet. Working at the Pilgrim Office for the past four years as a volunteer, I have seen the wide range of dogs that accompany pilgrims. From these observations, I can add to what has already been stated above:

1. Identification - If Matzo gets "misplaced." Rick or Rick & Peg covered this very well. You should heed their advice.

2. CHIP IT! - If your dog is chipped, the ID collar or tag should stated "CHIPPED." If your dog is NOT chipped, please, please SERIOUSLY consider having this done.

3. First Aid - Have first aid supplies for Matzo as well as you. Consult your veterinarian for what you should have. Consider that Matzo's paws might get abrasions or scrapes. Thorns and brambles are also issues. Have a tick remover tool and sterile tweezers to remove anything that punctures the skin. Also, can you treat doggie diarrhea if Matzo ingests something he ought not to have?

4. Hydration - This is even more important for the dog than for you. A loyal dog will follow their owner into the fires of hell. But, an owner that does not keep his / her dog properly fed and hydrated deserves to go there (IMHO). Keep a collapsible bowl and fresh water available at all times. Do not depend on finding water in the wild, or the next fuente. It means you must carry more, but there are small backpacks for dogs. The better ones incorporate a body harness, reflective panels for visibility, and a grab handle on the top, along the spine. Consider having Matzo carry his water bowl, some water, food and first-aid supplies.

5. Walk at Matzo's pace - Consider that your dog must take three or more steps to your one. This is the same rule that applies to all human groups. The group can only walk as fast as its slowest member.

6. Groom your dog. Have the necessary grooming supplies with you. Dogs do tend to go off wandering. They will run through all sorts of stuff in fields and woods. You need to keep the dog's coat groomed.

7. Leash - You must have a leash, preferably an extendable type, that you can attach to Matzo's harness when you are in a town or city and traffic is an issue, when other loose dogs are nearby, or anywhere, and anytime Matzo's safety might be at risk. Along the various Camino routes, you must occasionally walk against oncoming traffic along the verge / shoulder of a road. Some of these roads have high speed limits (70 Kph). You MUST be able to keep Matzo very close to you while you are on these stretches.

8. Booties - Rick touched on this as well. If Matzo can be trained to walk in four little overshoes, investing in a set would not be a bad idea. As illy as they look to some, there are stretches of Camino that are very rocky, not gravel mind you, but large rounded stones. A dog might have a problem with traction. The booties could help. Similarly, if you encounter mud they might also help prevent injuries.

9. NO sticks! Many, too many dogs in rural Spain are trained as puppies by being hit or prodded with a cane, pole, or stick. I am not editorializing, just stating facts as told to me by Spanish friends. As a result, many local dogs 'freak-out' when pilgrims walk through swinging hiking poles. Even when using these hiking sticks as intended, the click-clack and swinging poles, can agitate many dogs. It reminds them of a severe or brutal childhood.

When I see a dog behind a fence or wall in the distance, or walking in the street...or sleeping in the street (they do seem to do this on sunny days)...I stop using my poles and just carry them quietly. If the dog(s) bark, I greet them ('buenos dias, tarde,' etc.), tell them (in Spanish) that they are good dogs ('bueno perro'), and instruct them to be tranquil ('tranquilo'). I do not shout, but speak in a normal conversational tone.

10. NO strays! In Spain, rural dogs are generally working dogs. They are, for the most part, considered farm animals first, and pets second. It is common to see them, without collars or ID, roaming the paved streets in small villages and hamlets. I have never had a problem in five Caminos.

DO NOT allow any dog to follow you more than a few hundred yards. You must verbally order them to "Va a la casa!" "Go to your home." Be as assertive as you need, without harming them, to be to get the dog to turn around and walk back to where they came from. Failing to do this will likely mean you picked up a tag along friend.

Consider that, once you are half a kilometer or more from their home, they become disoriented and can lose the ability to find their way home. Moreover, once you feed or water this new addition to your Camino family, you are stuck with it.

Working at the Pilgrim Office, I have seen far too many dogs abandoned by pilgrims outside the Pilgrim Office, who claimed that the dog "just followed them...for five days!" It never occurs to some pilgrims to not allow this. They allow the dog to follow them, feed and water the dog for the remainder of their Camino, then blithely walk away from this responsibility...it's NOT my dog...why should I care...?

These farm or country dogs do not usually wear identification. They are not chipped, and the Pilgrim Office has to call Santiago Animal Welfare to take the dog to the animal "shelter." This is very upsetting for all concerned.

For the record, I am a cat person. But, I have seen too many dogs whose owners did none of the above. Hence, my concerns.

You seem to be a smart, considerate dog-owner who loves your dog and Matzo clearly loves you. Please consider that close bond when making the Camino. Follow Camino Rule Five (paraphrasing) - "do unto Matzo, as you would have him do unto you." This said, and of all the previous columns in the forum about this, your preparation and awareness seems to be better than any I have yet read about. Good for you.

I must qualify this, as I cannot have read EVERYTHING ever posted in the Forum about walking the Camino with a dog.

All said, I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I think I've got everything covered here as we do walk a lot already, but it's as GREAT idea to carry some ID and photographs. Actually I always walk him with a lead so that shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thanks so much again!

Two things I disagree with with @t2andreo :

1. Never, ever, use a "flexyleash". The dog can bolt and break the internal mechanism of the leash and he is long gone.

2. Microchipping. While mandatory withing various kennel clubs, and even some city bylaws, there are many, many, different encryption methods and all cannot be read by each scanner. So yes, nice to have, if the scanner used to read the chip can actually read it, but not sufficient. Also, some of these chips don't give you anything but a super long series of numbers and letters which will mean nothing to the person with the scanner. For example, how is the vet with the scanner supposed to guess that your chip is from Croatia and then contact the registry there? And let's face it, these chips can also migrate theoigh the body, so unless the vet is 100% sure the dog has been chipped, he will stop looking for it if it's not between the withers.

A solid medal with a solid hook attaching it to the collar with your cell number is more likely to help reunite you with your dog. Or perhaps you have seen the custom collars with the dog's name and phone number?

https://www.dogids.com/

For meds, in the good old days one could get antibiotics in Spain, but now make sure you ask your vet for "Metronidazole". This will take care of tummy issues in a flash. Also ask for some "cefalexin" - this is your typical go to antibiotic for skin issues. You may also want to ask for an eye ointment in case of an irritation, allergies, etc. One thing I can still get in farmacias is prednisone - I always stock up when in Spain. But this is not a med you want to play with, bit if you need ot, it's easy to get.

Lastly, your dog being part Lab has ancesters built for field work. They are not porcelain dolls. But their pads can burn easily when the sidewalk, pavement, get too hot. Once in a while, in hot whether, touch the pavement and see how it feels.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=pave...8&hl=fr-ca&client=safari#imgrc=gsn9tx1jlXD2bM:

In Celcius: https://www.google.ca/search?q=pave...T3nMP3VPv4gRvd8Mw4t1Y54=&imgrc=fWk9JKBKVoi3jM:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Prednisone is over the counter in Spain? Wow
From people I know that have taken it, it works but the side
effects can be brutal

Prednisone is over the counter in Spain? Wow
From people I know that have taken it, it works but the side
effects can be brutal
Yup, over the counter! Only once did the pharmacist ask me how I was going to use it and when I explained the dosage and the weaning off process he happily gave me all the boxes I wanted.

Jennifer - this is a list of campsites .. it isn't complete, just the ones I know of - hope it helps. There is a municipal campsite in St Jean. The campsite in Castrojeriz is a really nice place to stay and as it is also a refugio and a caravan site it has excellent bathrooms and a laundry!! as well as a bar restaurant on site - family owned and very friendly and helpful.

### Espinal ###
Albergue Camping Urrobi
http://www.campingurrobi.com/
42.972884 , -1.351969
Not actually in Espinal — about halfway between Burguete and Espinal.

### Puente la Reina ###
Camping El Real
http://www.campingelreal.com/
42.670942 , -1.823392

### Estella ###
Camping Lizarra
http://www.campinglizarra.com/
42.657266 , -2.016331

### Logroño ###
Camping La Playa
http://www.campinglaplaya.com/
42.471087 , -2.454752

### Navarrete ###
Camping Navarrese
http://www.campingnavarrete.com/en/
42.416213 , -2.551772

### Nájera ###
Camping El Ruedo
I don't have much detail about this one in my database. It's located south of the Camino, just before you cross the river.

### Santo Domingo de la Calzada ###
Camping Bañares
http://www.campingbanares.es/
42.442598 , -2.916495

### Burgos ###
Camping Burgos
http://www.campingburgos.com/
42.341786 , -3.657522
This isn't actually in Burgos - it's a few km to the east of the downtown area, south of the Camino

### Castrojeriz ###
Albergue Camping Camino de Santiago
http://www.campingcamino.com/
42.291041 , -4.131703

### Carrión de los Condes ###
Camping El Edén
42.335627 , -4.604448

### Sahagún ###
Camping Pedro Ponce
42.370869 , -5.041860

### Mansilla de las Mulas ###
Apparently there is a campground called "Camping Elsa" but I don't have any details on it.

### Hospital de Órbigo ###
Has a municipal campground
42.466918 , -5.881251

### Monte del Gozo ###
Ciudad de Vacaciones Monte do Gozo
http://www.cvacaciones-montedogozo.com/EN/home.html
42.886806 , -8.493236
Note: The website doesn't mention camping, but it is available. Email them to inquire.

### Santiago de Compostela ###
Camping As Cancelas
http://www.campingascancelas.com/
42.889442 , -8.524195

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jennifer - this is a list of campsites .. it isn't complete,
This was great David. It set me off to find some missing information. In the process I found a PDF that may list more campgrounds. Search this file for "camp" to get "campsite," "campground" and "camping" (but, sorry, also "campo", etc.):
https://pelgrimerenperfiets.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/albergues-op-de-camino-frances.pdf

Here is some more information on places David mentioned:

Camping webpage of web oficial de Carrión de los Condes
http://www.carriondeloscondes.org/portfolio-items/camping-ciudad-de-carrion/
Se aceptan animales en el camping..

Sahagún's tourism site
Camping Pedro Ponce
http://www.villadesahagun.es/camping

### Hospital de Órbigo ###
Has a municipal campground
42.466918 , -5.881251
http://www.hospitaldeorbigo.com/index.php/municipio/camping
Dirección
Alvarez Vega, s/n
24286 - Hospital de Orbigo
León (España)
Telf: 987 388 206

Camping El Ruedo
Pso. San Julián . 24, Nájera 26300 - La Rioja - La Rioja - España
(0034) 941360102

Not wanting a fight but why do you discriminate against dog owners whos dogs are not guide/assistance dog.

My answer to your questions
The same way I got them/me to the starting postion.
A village dog will not discriminate between guide or pet dog.
Do wildcamping rules change if you have a dog?

Not wanting a fight but why do you discriminate against dog owners whos dogs are not guide/assistance dog.

My answer to your questions
The same way I got them/me to the starting postion.
A village dog will not discriminate between guide or pet dog.
Do wildcamping rules change if you have a dog?

Simple answer, without engaging with your, to me, slightly aggressive tone. The right of assistance dogs to go where their owners go is protected by law - because the well being and often the life of said owners depends on it. Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Simple answer, without engaging with your, to me, slightly aggressive tone. The right of assistance dogs to go where their owners go is protected by law - because the well being and often the life of said owners depends on it. Buen Camino, SY
So the village dogs knows this and won't be aggressive towards guide dog?

I know even though this is a site for walking pilgrimage routes it does not mean all members are Christian (other faiths are available) but why the lack of humanity to members who ask about walking with there dog?

I have seen this attitude from a few on here in other posts.

Do the owners not know there charge better than strangers?

Night all my dogs have just come up bed so tablet down lights off. :)

So the village dogs knows this and won't be aggressive towards guide dog?

I know even though this is a site for walking pilgrimage routes it does not mean all members are Christian (other faiths are available) but why the lack of humanity to members who ask about walking with there dog?

I have seen this attitude from a few on here in other posts.

Do the owners not know there charge better than strangers?

Night all my dogs have just come up bed so tablet down lights off. :)

Wow, hello Tuesday Wildchild! I can't help answering because I can't see any 'lack of humanity' here, simply people who want to help.
Just as new pilgrims may benefit from 'obvious' comments like : don't carry too much weight etc, dog owners might not necessarily foresee all the problems they will encounter on the Camino.... Simple.
Of course they can be overcome, but very often they are not even thought of, hence the kind advice proferred....
They're only opinions, you (or anyone) don't have to follow them!
I wish you well, to you and your dogs :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
to be fair there should only be negative answers from pilgrims who took their dogs, don't you think?
There are plenty out there - though possibly not on this forum.

To say that it is ok to take a service dog but not a pet dog seems a little odd to me - I agree with the poster; if there can be a problem with local dogs, how do those dogs know that it is a service dog and leave it alone? And who is giving out this information? Is it from pilgrims who have walked with their dogs, service or otherwise?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back