• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with a Group-to stay or not to stay

MariposaTraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances-Beginning May 13th in SJPP
This may be a strange question, but I wanted to hear others experiences and thoughts on the matter. I came to the camino alone but I met and have been walking with the same group of pilgrims for the last week or so. They are amazing people but I feel like I may be missing out on meeting others because I am always with the same people. I could walk ahead of them one day because I am going to take a bus into Leon after walking tomorrow and skip the 18 km of industrial area and give my knee a break. I know this is a personal decision that I will have to contemplate for myself, but does anyone have any experience with this? Was it beneficial to stay with the same people or is moving on with the possibility of seeing them again down the road better.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A very personal decision, I agree. Here's what I did: I started the camino with an old friend, her feet got so bad she had to leave just before Leon, and suddenly I was alone. I then started thinking about my Camino as my companion. I did what my Camino wanted, my responsibility was first and foremost it and its was me. We got along great! Then when I met two wonderful women who had met on the camino I walked with them for almost two weeks. But in Melide, when they started planning how to divide the last kms into three walking days, I felt that my Camino wanted to walk faster and further and do it in two days. So I did. And we agreed to meet in the square when they came in the day after. No hard feelings, sometimes the Camino just wants different things. Follow your gut feeling.

I moved on from a walking partner, not to meet others, but to have "alone time". The result was that I both enjoyed my time alone and met other interesting people too. The fact that you are thinking out loud about this probably suggests that it is time to make a change.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Be reminded that this is YOUR own, very personal camino, dedicate yourself to it; everything else is secondary.
Enjoy the company of fellow-peregrinos by all means but do not let it become an obligation. One of the magics of the camino is to meet so many diverse people from all over the world, shame to stick with your own and miss it; mingle!
Practically, most groups interrupt in Leon, some taking a rest, others indulge in the Parador, whatever, so chances are that your dilemma solves itself. Don't worry though, you'll meet them again. Ease yourself of any burden, It's YOUR camino. Enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with most of the comments made. YOUR Camino is just that. Sharing your Camino with others is a selfless act. I walked with a "family" and it was a wonderful experience. Had it not been for the specific people I met....this family would not have existed. There hasn't been a day since they haven't been in my mind.
Be open to the positive aspects others will contribute on your walk.......

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always figured meeting a bunch of different people is one of the best parts of walking the Camino. On both of mine I took a day here and there off as I had no tight schedule. Naturally I met even more people. Some I still have contact with. Don't think about it too much. Take the bus to Leon and go with the flow.
cheers

I walked in February/March 2014, when fewer pilgrims walked and most who did welcomed the opportunity to share time together. I created space or allowed distance when I felt my decisions about when, where, and how fast or long to walk were dependent on others -- but I sought solitude. Regardless, I still correspond on a regular basis with people I met and walked with at different times. No regrets.

Just think of the joyous reunion with your friends in Santiago! Besides you still have a good bit to get through and you will probably reconnect before then. Just let them know your concerns no reason to cause unpleasantness.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had a similar experience but made the decision to move ahead even though it was tough emotionally. The urge to walk my own camino was stronger than staying with the group. Buen Camino...

It sounds as if there is a "natural" place for you to move on from your lovely group. Just be prepared to miss them a little. I felt like my Camino friend Maria and I "broke up" after we said our good-byes, ha!
I never did see her again, but we email still.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back