• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with a Nine-Year-Old

Thing1_Thing2

Time of past OR future Camino
June 3 2017 to July 2017
In July I completed the Camino Frances with my nine-year-old daughter, Sohee. We walked from SJDPP to Santiago in 41 days, including about five rest days. I relied on this forum for help with planning our trip, and I’d like to help add something meaningful for other would-be parents in return.

First, of all, I had been planning to walk the Camino for a couple of years. I’d been back and forth about taking my daughter, but when it came time to buy the tickets I decided to take her. About my Sohee: she is small for age, adopted from Korea (interfamily, my wife’s side), and innately athletic. She’s been doing day hikes with my wife and I since she came to live with us, at age three. Sohee’s done some one day, overnight backpacking in the Smokies, Ozarks and in the Rockies, and walked about half-way down into to the Grand Canyon.

I didn’t know how she was going to handle the walk, but I thought the worst case was we just walked five or ten kilometers per day and wouldn’t get to Santiago before our return date. We had 49 days total. Sohee ended up doing better than expected.

We arrived in SJPDD from Birriatz at about nine a.m., and it took us until about 11:30 or 12 to get our stuff sorted out and to get gone. We weren’t in that big of a hurry because we had a room in Orrison. On the way up, I started to doubt I could keep up with Sohee. The weather was nice, and she climbed like a mountain goat. I had not trained in May (don’t ask) and was huffing and puffing. That night was fun, and we were on our way by about 7 a.m.

The weather was bad, and we ran into our first real challenge on the descent. Sohee’s goat climbing skills only applied to going uphill. She struggled going down, and on that last three or so kilometers down the rain was pouring and she had a very hard time. That descent was hard for adults too, but it was extra difficult for her. When I got down to the hostel we had our fist major change of plans. I ended up shelling for that expensive hotel. Sohee had that kind of tiredness that you see on kid’s faces after a week of overnight summer camp or an all weekend rodeo or swim meet.

That ended up being the toughest day, although there were some tough descents later in Galicia and that 18 kilometer stretch of nothing in the Meseta was emotionally draining. We just took it slow, 20 or 22 kilometer days to start. Worked up to some 30 to 33 kilometers day at the end. We stopped at every decent river (except in Zubiri, where it was too cold) for Sohee to swim.

We spent probably ten nights in classic alburgues, and probably twenty in either pensions or private alburgue rooms, and another ten nights in hotels. The private rooms and hotels ended up putting us over budget, but it came from out short-term savings and not credit cards, so it wasn’t a deal breaker.

Sohee became stronger and stronger as the trip progressed, physically and psychologically. We did rely at times on the aid and support of strangers, which was new to me. I usually give way more help than I need, but walking with a nine-year-old was challenging in ways I hadn’t expected. Some of the cheers and celebrations adults gave Sohee helped in ways I wonder if the other adults really understood. They made Sohee feel like a champion.

We saw some other children on the Camino who looked happy. We saw some other kids who looked incredibly miserable. I don’t know what to say to other prospective families, except it is doable.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In July I completed the Camino Frances with my nine-year-old daughter, Sohee. We walked from SJDPP to Santiago in 41 days, including about five rest days. I relied on this forum for help with planning our trip, and I’d like to help add something meaningful for other would-be parents in return.

First, of all, I had been planning to walk the Camino for a couple of years. I’d been back and forth about taking my daughter, but when it came time to buy the tickets I decided to take her. About my Sohee: she is small for age, adopted from Korea (interfamily, my wife’s side), and innately athletic. She’s been doing day hikes with my wife and I since she came to live with us, at age three. Sohee’s done some one day, overnight backpacking in the Smokies, Ozarks and in the Rockies, and walked about half-way down into to the Grand Canyon.

I didn’t know how she was going to handle the walk, but I thought the worst case was we just walked five or ten kilometers per day and wouldn’t get to Santiago before our return date. We had 49 days total. Sohee ended up doing better than expected.

We arrived in SJPDD from Birriatz at about nine a.m., and it took us until about 11:30 or 12 to get our stuff sorted out and to get gone. We weren’t in that big of a hurry because we had a room in Orrison. On the way up, I started to doubt I could keep up with Sohee. The weather was nice, and she climbed like a mountain goat. I had not trained in May (don’t ask) and was huffing and puffing. That night was fun, and we were on our way by about 7 a.m.

The weather was bad, and we ran into our first real challenge on the descent. Sohee’s goat climbing skills only applied to going uphill. She struggled going down, and on that last three or so kilometers down the rain was pouring and she had a very hard time. That descent was hard for adults too, but it was extra difficult for her. When I got down to the hostel we had our fist major change of plans. I ended up shelling for that expensive hotel. Sohee had that kind of tiredness that you see on kid’s faces after a week of overnight summer camp or an all weekend rodeo or swim meet.

That ended up being the toughest day, although there were some tough descents later in Galicia and that 18 kilometer stretch of nothing in the Meseta was emotionally draining. We just took it slow, 20 or 22 kilometer days to start. Worked up to some 30 to 33 kilometers day at the end. We stopped at every decent river (except in Zubiri, where it was too cold) for Sohee to swim.

We spent probably ten nights in classic alburgues, and probably twenty in either pensions or private alburgue rooms, and another ten nights in hotels. The private rooms and hotels ended up putting us over budget, but it came from out short-term savings and not credit cards, so it wasn’t a deal breaker.

Sohee became stronger and stronger as the trip progressed, physically and psychologically. We did rely at times on the aid and support of strangers, which was new to me. I usually give way more help than I need, but walking with a nine-year-old was challenging in ways I hadn’t expected. Some of the cheers and celebrations adults gave Sohee helped in ways I wonder if the other adults really understood. They made Sohee feel like a champion.

We saw some other children on the Camino who looked happy. We saw some other kids who looked incredibly miserable. I don’t know what to say to other prospective families, except it is doable.

Thanks for posting! We're planning on taking our kids in the Spring, and I love to hear positive stories about families on the Camino. Glad to hear that Sohee did so well and that you all made it to Santiago. Congrats!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What a beautiful child! She seems happy despite the eight things she doesn’t like on the Camino! Children adapt! If you make it a chore it’s a chore if you make it fun it’s an adventure! In the end it’s all making memories!

Wonderful post, @Thing1_Thing2! Thank you for sharing it.
Sohee became stronger and stronger as the trip progressed, physically and psychologically.
You just gave your daughter a huge gift by taking her along - the confidence and resilience she gained will stay with her the rest of her life.
You sound sensitive to your daughter's needs and state of mind, as well as sensible about changing plans, so the journey could be comfortable on her terms, rather than yours. That may have had more than a little to do with why the walk was a happy one, rather than a 'death march.'
Well done, and congratulations!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Well done the two of you. IMO families is all about building strong memories and the camino is up there on that list. Great kid and my list of challenges on the camino also includes going up hills and down hills and bad night sleeps.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You reached exactly the same conclusion as I did! It can be hard, but if we adults can be sensitive to our kids' needs, generally speaking it will be possible.
Having walked with some children who are unaccustomed to hiking, I can confidently say that walking at home first will go a long way in setting you up for success.
You'll treasure these memories.

I was so happy to read about your adventure with your daughter. She sounds like a remarkable young woman. I'm planning my first Camino, and am hoping my wife and 9 year old son will join me for the last 100km. Thank you for posting!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for the wonderful update! It would be just as interesting to find out her interest of returning when she gets older as an adult.
Very well done!
Keith

Love this! We are currently walking the Camino with our two daughters (7 and 11 years). We started in SJPP and are currently in León. My girls also did WAY better than we expected them to do, in fact they are doing much better than us! They agreed with everything that Sohee said on the video and loved seeing another kid who had experienced what they are experiencing. In fact, that is what they would add to her list: a lack of other kids to play with has been the biggest challenge for them. Hope that more and more families realize how great of an experience this can be for their kids.

Love this! We are currently walking the Camino with our two daughters (7 and 11 years). We started in SJPP and are currently in León. My girls also did WAY better than we expected them to do, in fact they are doing much better than us! They agreed with everything that Sohee said on the video and loved seeing another kid who had experienced what they are experiencing. In fact, that is what they would add to her list: a lack of other kids to play with has been the biggest challenge for them. Hope that more and more families realize how great of an experience this can be for their kids.

Tell your girls the best is still to come! We found Astorga to Sarria to be our favorite portion of the Camino. In fact, that video was taken somewhere in that section. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for the wonderful update! It would be just as interesting to find out her interest of returning when she gets older as an adult.
Very well done!
Keith

Yes, that will be interesting. For now, Sohee likes staying home. We get both get a two-week vacation every October, and this will be the first October break we've stayed home in a few years. The trip just wore her out. I'll bet she'll be read to travel again by next summer.

You reached exactly the same conclusion as I did! It can be hard, but if we adults can be sensitive to our kids' needs, generally speaking it will be possible.
Having walked with some children who are unaccustomed to hiking, I can confidently say that walking at home first will go a long way in setting you up for success.
You'll treasure these memories.

Yes. For sure. Sohee had done a bit of hiking, as I mentioned earlier, but one thing I left out was that I took her on two consecutive 10 mile walks before we left home. She did not cooperate on those easy, flat walks and complained a lot, which is not like her. The walks happened to be extremely boring to me as well. We don't' have beautiful hiking trails here where we live, so we just walked asphalt trails around town. I decided to go ahead with the Camino, and I guessed that Sohee would cooperate when the walking was more exciting. Fortunately, that worked out.

Wonderful post, @Thing1_Thing2! Thank you for sharing it.

You just gave your daughter a huge gift by taking her along - the confidence and resilience she gained will stay with her the rest of her life.

You sound sensitive to your daughter's needs and state of mind, as well as sensible about changing plans, so the journey could be comfortable on her terms, rather than yours. That may have had more than a little to do with why the walk was a happy one, rather than a 'death march.'
Well done, and congratulations!

Thank you for the kind words.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just love Sohee’s list of Camino issues.

I am thnking of taking my nephew, also 9, but would prefer, for my own taste, to avoid the Frances. But I wonder if having more cafes here and there might be better for him. Then again, will it be much better considering that the people in the cafes will be adults, and therefor not very interesting for him anyway.

Would welcome your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Just love Sohee’s list of Camino issues.

I am thnking of taking my nephew, also 9, but would prefer, for my own taste, to avoid the Frances. But I wonder if having more cafes here and there might be better for him. Then again, will it be much better considering that the people in the cafes will be adults, and therefor not very interesting for him anyway.

Would welcome your thoughts on this. Thank you.

I'm not likely to do the Frances again. I'd love to do the GR10 in couple of years. But with a 9-year-old kid? I'd say stay on the Frances. That's challenging enough.

Your nephew will get a lot of attention. I'll never forget walking into villages and hearing "Sohee, Sohee" from other pilgrims. Occasionally, they would say, "Hi, Sohee's Dad." Sohee liked talking to those adults, so I don't think she missed kids all that much.

I'm not likely to do the Frances again. But with a 9-year-old kid? I'd say stay on the Frances. Your nephew will get a lot of attention. I'll never forget walking into villages and hearing "Sohee, Sohee" from other pilgrims. Occasionally, they would say, "Hi, Sohee's Dad." Sohee liked talking to those adults, so I don't think she missed kids all that much.
Thank you so much. Will pick a section of the Frances I like the most then.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you so much for posting this - and thanks to Sohee for her list - I will show it to my boys. We are taking our 9 and 11 year old boys on the Frances next March - it was great to hear of your experiences traveling with a child around the same age as mine. As you have said and it is important to hear over - we will do the Camino at the children's pace and keep their needs at the forefront. They will probably out-walk us though!

Again, I really do appreciate you taking the time to share and would welcome any further comments about walking with Children.

Thank you so much for posting this - and thanks to Sohee for her list - I will show it to my boys. We are taking our 9 and 11 year old boys on the Frances next March - it was great to hear of your experiences traveling with a child around the same age as mine. As you have said and it is important to hear over - we will do the Camino at the children's pace and keep their needs at the forefront. They will probably out-walk us though!

Again, I really do appreciate you taking the time to share and would welcome any further comments about walking with Children.

I'd plan to use a courier service. Those van companies are really fairly priced. You could take a duffel or two and then wear day packs.

Sohee carried her pack for probably 30 of the 41 days, but we were packed about as minimaly as you can get (although we didn't have "ultralight" crap. It was easy in the summer. Pack a pair of pants, a pair of tshirts, a pair of shorts, etc. I don't have experience with March weather there, but you already know you are going to need to take multiple layers and serious outwear. I wouldn't plan for your boys to carry all of that. It'll take too much fun out of it.

Sleep was really hard for Sohee, but I bet it'll be a little easier in the less crowded alburgues of March and April.

Buen Camino!

For a number of reasons we have decided against albergues (unless in a private room) so we will cut down the weight of sleeping bags and towels (maybe 1 microfibre for emergencies) and plan on using a luggage service for a portion. Can you let me know the areas that Sohee struggled with or might struggle in wet conditions. We have already decided to be open to getting a bus or taxi for the really challenging sections (rocky down hill muddy parts, for example) if necessary, so and thoughts would be a great help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For a number of reasons we have decided against albergues (unless in a private room) so we will cut down the weight of sleeping bags and towels (maybe 1 microfibre for emergencies) and plan on using a luggage service for a portion. Can you let me know the areas that Sohee struggled with or might struggle in wet conditions. We have already decided to be open to getting a bus or taxi for the really challenging sections (rocky down hill muddy parts, for example) if necessary, so and thoughts would be a great help.

The descent into Roncesvalles was the hardest for Sohee, but I bet you don't do the Napolean right in March anyway. It was steep, muddy and slick the day we did it. Roncesvalles to Zubiri wasn't easy either, but that wasn't exactly grasping-for-footing kind of difficulty, like the previous day. There was also another hard descent in Galicia that Sohee didn't like at all. I think it was after Acebo. It was rocky and hard to keep your footing on.

The problem with taking a bus or taxi is that those are in part of the coolest sections of the Camino. I wouldn't want to miss it. Maybe just do shorter days on those sections if you have time.

I saw a nine year old who was walking with his aunt. Like your daughter, he flourished in the light of the admiration and respect given to him by adults, visibly straightening up like a flower in the sun. As has been said, you have given your daughter a priceless gift. I guess you will need to save more for the next trip!

KNow thy child! There certainly are children who have the stamina and desire to walk the Camino with their parents! Loved reading the blog from GIRLS ON THE WAY! Hiking with your child in preparation will help ascertain whether this is a good idea. A younger child may not comprehend the distances s/he will be asked to walk daily so practicing those distances ahead of time and even in bad weather is requisite IMO for determining whether it is doable. Also you may want to provide alternatives/options for children....instead of going they can (?)...make them part of the decision making process since they too will be walking the distance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is currently a 10 year old (Olivia) from Quebec who is on the Camino Frances with her parents. What a treat to have stayed an evening with her (thanks to Google translate!). Who'd want to walk all day then do homework?? :eek:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.