• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with Asthma.

Rachie Bee

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
Hi all!
I’m walking my first Camino in March starting in SJPDP and I’m wondering if there’s any advice from anyone who has walked it with asthma? I also get hay fever also.
Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a bit of asthma myself. The best advice I can give you is to go at your own pace each day. Especially on the steeper inclines. There's nothing wrong with taking breaks if you need them. Also, to have an emergency inhaler with you from your doctor. Just in case. :) I have also found coffee to help lessen asthma symptoms. It works a bit like an inhaler since they are both stimulants. Plus breathing in the nice smelling vapors helps you relax too and gets it into your lungs. No guarantees that it will help but it works for me. Buen Camino!

Hi, I am asthmatic and walked in Aug/Sept of 2016, however earlier that year I was admitted to emergency with an attack, so my insurance company did not want to insure me. To be insured, had to see my doctor who made sure I had a prescription for my preventer (I took two so I didn't run out/lose one) as well as a course of prednisolone (corticosteroids) to take if I had another attack. (You may want to check your policy!)

I used my preventer every day as prescribed with a kid size spacer (best practice for dosage as many people including myself, don't have a great puffer technique). I also took a salbutamol puffer which I never needed because my asthma was well controlled.

You may need to think about what your triggers are. Are you triggered by exercise? Airborne pathogens (pollen pollution)? Cold air? Maybe have a chat to your doctor too about best ways to manage this whilst walking - education is the best prep here).

As for your hay fever, bring your usual antihistamines. They'll double up as bedbug treatment should you be so unfortunate ;)

Buen camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One of the reasons we walk end of February to early April is to avoid the high pollen season. Rain helps to tamp down the pollen. In Galicia there is normally enough rain that even though the flowers were blooming, the rain helped moderate it.

One thing that really helped me is that I always wore either protective glasses (10 dollars at Lowes) that construction folks use to protect their eyes when working or large sun glasses. Theses protected my eyes from the wind, pollen, snow and the rain. I wear glasses normally and these fit over my glasses comfortably. Neither pair fogged my glasses and when the wind and rain and dust and dirt were blowing my eyes were protected .they also provided added protection from the freezing weather in the morning.

Your responses are very helpful. Thank you. I have inhalers that I can take with me and also antihistamines. It’s a good point to bring some steroids too in case of an attack. Pollen is usually a big trigger and I’ll be walking in March/April so I’m hoping I’ll be ok.
Thanks for replying!
Buen Camino!

Be careful of the pollen, once April comes, there will be a lot of it. Bring a prescription bottle or label showing refills for your medication. Most asthma medication is available in many farmacias in Spain.

Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all!
I’m walking my first Camino in March starting in SJPDP and I’m wondering if there’s any advice from anyone who has walked it with asthma? I also get hay fever also.
Thank you.
Ya I had the same problem last year was fine on flat terrain but hills were very difficult I had a puffer which helped and also another inhaller. check with you MD and she can give you ful hints.helphe/
Hi all!
Thank you.

Hi all!
Thank you.

Hi Rachel I’m asthmatic and suffer hay fever, I walked the Francais last Apr / May.
I had my inhalers, once I got over the St Jean first day, I rarely had any issues as the wether is great. When I got to Galicia I found I started to use the inhaler more as the
Climate is more damper. But the first 20days or so I had no issues. Also if you run out their are always Pharmacies. Note they close at 2 open again at 4 unless your in the big cities, where they are some open all day. If you need more advice let me know kr Jim. Ps if you suffer from allergy to bed bugs most Albergues give you a cover for 1 Euro . Kr Jim.

Hi all!
Thank you.
Hi Rachie Bee,
I just had a thought about the first day out of SJPDP. Have you considered possibly taking the Valcarlos route instead of the Napoleon route? The Valcarlos route is a bit lower elevation for most of the way, it is also a bit more of a gradual clime. There is also the Alburge/town of Valcarlos about halfway through for an emergency stop if you need it. That way you can break the day into two if you need to. With the Napoleon route that isn't really possible. I'm planning on taking the Valcarlos route when I go next time. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.