• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with children informational group

heatherrnw

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: April 2012; Future: June/July 2017
Hello! I have created a group in Facebook exclusively for those who are looking for information on walking the Camino with children. I have added many links from discussions on this group so they are in one place and easy to find. This has been one of the best resources for information on planning to walk with children for me.

I will be walking this year myself with children and have been researching it as much as I can. I found a lot of helpful information, but haven't found a site where I felt like I could ask questions without judgement. When I have asked questions (on some groups), I found there are some who don't agree with taking kids on the Camino and aren't shy about voicing their opinion of it. This is why I created the group.

If you are on FB (I know not everyone is), and have walked or cycled the Camino with children, I hope you will join us and give advise and information to anyone who needs it. https://www.facebook.com/groups/caminobabies/

Thank you!
cleardot.gif

Heather

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been on the receiving end of some of the negativity (ranging from being told my kids would be bored to the fact that their bones would develop abnormally....and a few things in between)
Actually these concerns of other people did not disturb me. I used them to further my research (turns out the rickety bones thing is a load of crock according to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon!) Additionally, it gave me some idea of what people I met along the way might be worried about (that my kids would disturb them mostly).
Then I got to Spain. Everyone (with only one anti-social exception in six months of walking) was supportive. Ambivalent at worst, but by far the majority went out of their way to encourage the kids. Many were also amazed that a six year old (and even the young teens) would do their own washing, cook a meal, write journals without being told to and bounce along the path so full of energy. They would dish out oranges and chocolates and a whole watermelon. They would give Spanish lessons. They would ask questions and listen to the replies. They would take photos and videos.

I write this to encourage you. One day someone might write something negative on your FB group. Don't let it put you off. Differing points of view can help us refine our own visions and promote growth as we grapple with ideas.

All the best.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for that. I do love reading about your experiences.

I have come across some of the differing opinions in just a couple of the questions I have asked in a couple of different groups. For the most part, most people are encouraging and helpful, but there are some that are not that. Such is life. We are all different creatures, which is probably one of the things that makes us so interesting.

My main interest is providing a place with as much information as I can find that will also allow people to ask questions, hopefully without the negative feedback. I started looking for information a bit over a year ago about traveling with children, when I knew I would have another, but also wanted to walk with my oldest when she graduated. When it actually came time to plan it, I started asking questions. The first few responses I received were people telling me I should not take my child, so naturally, I started questioning whether or not I was making the right choice. But I am a strong minded woman! So I started digging deeper to find more information and accounts of those who have walked with children. Some may not do this. Some may be scared away from doing it because of those responses. I messaged with one woman this evening who had considered walking with her child, but did not walk because of that very same thing.

While I very much agree with you, that we can only make our best decisions when given the whole picture, I also believe that sometimes we need a bigger dose of the good stuff at the start, before we get a dose of the not so good. :)

Are you certain that posters want their comments posted outside of the Forum??:(

If she's just curating *links* then that isn't taking people's comments outside the context of the forums. If she's copying-and-pasting the comments themselves, then that shouldn't be done without permission in my opinion.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have encountered many families with children over the years.
I am surprised to hear that they encounter criticism and negative attitudes in the forum or along the way.

They have always been very well received by the other pilgrims and in the
albergues, in my experience. I would not want to take a small child on a long Camino...but just because I selfishly would not want go to the extra effort.

The children seem to take to the Camino in a positive way. A daily adventure for them! Lots of people paying them attention.

My only advice to parents would be to prepare carefully..and Go For It.

Hi Heather,

This is a great idea, I have walked many caminos and in 2015 I brought my ten your old son from Sarria to Santiago. In 2016 walked from Santiago to Finisterre/Muxia in alot of rain but he loved every minute of it. This year my daughter turns 10 so the three of us will head off and complete Sarria to Santiago as I believe this is beautiful and the kids enjoy the interaction with others. I have booked into a number of private pensions, however I still want my kids to get a feel for the communal aspect of the camino i.e staying in albergues. My wife is somewhat concerned (she has never walked the way) and I was just wondering if albergues would cater or make allowances for families eg. allow to take bunk beds in a quieter section of albergue.

I will sign up to the facebook group and hopefully I can learn and contribute too.

Buen camino.
Maurice

Are you certain that posters want their comments posted outside of the Forum??:(
I have only compiled links to threads, which can be found by spending a little bit of time googling. I have not posted anything taken from any forum, page or blog, only the links to them. I also contacted everyone who's page I posted a link to and let them know I've done this and would remove if they were not comfortable with it. The goal is to have a place for people to find information they are looking for easily.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Maurice! How exciting for you all! When I walked by myself, I was not looking forward to any rain, but once I was there and walking in it, I actually enjoyed it. So I can see how your son would enjoy it! I came back after and didn't mind walking in the rain anymore, lol.

I haven't walked with kids yet, so I can't say for sure, but I would think it depends on how busy the albergues are. I have read of some staying only in private rooms and some who were given bunks in a corner of their own.

I hope you will join us in the group! I am open to talk if you have any questions.

I just want to add that this forum has been a great resource for me since 2011, when I started planning my first Camino. The people here are so kind and helpful and it has always been my favorite place for Camino communication. Thank you to all for being so wonderful!

If I should come across any threads that you are the original creator of I will remove or not include.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I went through the links I saved and you were not a contributor to any of them.

Do you have experience walking with children on the Camino and have created a forum, page or blog specifically about this? Please let me know and I will be sure to not to point anyone in the direction of your information.

I went through the links I saved and you were not a contributor to any of them.
I have deleted content in the Forum, so it is academic. We obviously disagree about the dangers of Facebook. ;)

I know you want to create a resource with the best of intentions, but I think you are being naive in its development. The easy route is not always the best or most prudent route. :) Facebook is easy, but do you have any control over who joins your postings? Anyone on Facebook? Anyone? Pederasts included? Even the Boy Scouts does background checks, and prohibits photos or contacts for youth on webpages.

My high school posted yearbooks on line. After a month, they deleted them. Too much spam to alumni and privacy invasion, virtually non of it from alumni.

Yes, I have experience walking with children on the Camino. I had some photos posted in the Forum, but they are gone now. If you like Facebook, feel free to use it, but do not assume that everyone has the same love for it that you may. ;);):rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will have to disagree. I don't believe I'm being naive about anything. If having access to information in one place and people to discuss a subject with is naive, then I suppose we should do away with libraries. With that thinking, I would have to ask what the purpose of this group is then, if not to be a place for people with the same interest to gather and learn from each other.

If you cared enough about it to look it over before just stating you want to have nothing to do with it, even though you had nothing to do with it, you would have seen that no pictures from any link I have saved are being posted. The links themselves are not even being posted. They are only being saved into a library where people, who request to join the group, can access...if they wish. Your name, no ones name for that matter, pictures, words or anything else are being posted anywhere. Except for Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc that is. Which is exactly where I found and copied the links from and what anyone else could do as well. As we all know, and teach our children everyday, what you put out on the internet is out there for everyone to see and use to their own liking...even this forum. So best to not put anything out if you do not like the idea of anyone actually reading and sharing what you are putting out there. Anyone can read the posts on this forum that uses a search engine. You don't even have to sign up to do it. If that is your logic, then FB would make more sense since you have to actually have an account, find the group, request an invite and have that invite accepted. And as far as algorithm and such, it's not only on FB. It's used everywhere and in everything. All search engines, shopping sites, such as Amazon, everywhere. Just this evening I went to my regular grocery store and received baby coupons even though I didn't buy any baby products. Why? Because I use the same card there all the time and usually purchase baby products and this is being tracked.

There is no privacy invasion in collecting information that is already out there and putting it into one place for people to find it. The group is no different than THIS group, except it is focused on one specific subject of interest. The fact that it is on FB and you don't like FB does not make it any different.

My question of rather or not you have walked with a child wasn't to know if you have, but instead to know if you have a informational board out there, of which I will be sure not to direct anyone to. This is the curtesy I have extended to all creators/owners of blogs, vlogs and pages, if they so chose to not be included. I also invited them to the page to share their stories and to help other pilgrims with their own planning questions. I was not told no by anyone one of them that responded. And frankly, I was being courteous in asking since no one really needs permission to share the links to public pages.

And yes, I enjoy FB, as millions of people do. Along with this group, I have found it to be a great asset in the planning of my Camino's, staying connected with other pilgrims and meeting new pilgrims. Just as this group has done for many over the years. ;)

Unfortunately, the this thread seems to have been derailed into a discussion of Facebook.
Please take any further debate of the merits/faults of FB to private message function.

The discussion of Children on the Camino can continue here.

In 2015 my son and two grandsons (8 and 11) and I walked from Sarria to Santiago. We had done a few longish training walks and kitted them up with small backpacks and hiking shoes etc.
They loved the bunkbeds and the freedom but by afternoons in the heat they were exhausted and it was constant whining ,rests and cafe stops. However as soon as we arrived at our nights stop they cheered up and after their showers would sit with Ipods which gave the adults time to get ready and do laundry. The younger boy was very fussy with his food and that was a problem also.(loved the croissants though)
One day I would like to take them on a long camino but they are not very enthusiastic about that ..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.