• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with daughter and niece both 15. Too young????

Dilbin

Time of past OR future Camino
Irun to Santander del Norte
Walking Del Norte with my daughter(15) and niece Too young???? I hope to walk next June from Irun to Santander. Im just a little worried that they may be too young forthe Alberques

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
With teenagers, a lot depends on their motivation to walk the Camino. I have seen many teenagers with families both walking happily and parents stressed out because they are having to encourage their children to continue walking. If they are motivated and know what they are getting into 15 is not too young....
If you are concerned about staying at albergues, lots of them have smaller rooms, or stay at private albergues where you can make reservations in advance. Talk with them in advance about what they may encounter....

Thank you. They both have a genuine reason and need for healing/ soul searching due to grief so that was why I suggested the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, fifteen year olds are quite capable of walking a Camino. My daughter walked the Frances and Fiisterre at 14, the Norte and Primitivo at 15, and has just completed the VdlP at 16. There are some major questions you have to answer yourself before taking them along. Are they fit, mature and determined in attitude? Are they coming along because they really want to? Are they comfortable in foreign situations and places? Can they forgo the creature comforts, go minimal and rough it when necessary? If you believe they have the determination to not only start the Norte but also complete it then offer them this amazing experience. The Norte is beautiful but very hard in sections with lots of road walking. Believe me, you don’t want to be trying to cajole and motivate two unwillling, tired and footsore “typical teens” as that would affect your own experience. As the wise pilgrims all say “everyone must walk their own Camino”. Good luck and enjoy the planning :)

My daughter had her 14th birthday on the CF last summer. Granted we have done a lot of previous traveling so she was familiar and comfortable with travel and communal sleeping, eating etc. I highly recommend walking with your teens while you can. As they get older more obligations take their time and you may not have another opportunity. However, I wonder if the Norte would be the best route? I have not walked it but from what i understand it can be challenging in terms of accommodations and distances.

Thank you so much. Ive already walked the norte and I'm familiar with the stages. My worry was Ive yet to see teenagers in over 40 alberques but all should be ok.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My daughter had her 14th birthday on the CF last summer. Granted we have done a lot of previous traveling so she was familiar and comfortable with travel and communal sleeping, eating etc. I highly recommend walking with your teens while you can. As they get older more obligations take their time and you may not have another opportunity. However, I wonder if the Norte would be the best route? I have not walked it but from what i understand it can be challenging in terms of accommodations and distances.
Hello Brambles. I was more concerned as Ive yet to meet teenagers in any of the Alberques Ive stayed at. P.s Ive walked all Del Norte and the 3 stages after Santander were practically all asphalt otherwise its a wonderful Camino if you ever get a chance to walk it.

As others have said, it depends on the 15 year old.
If they enjoy art and history, they may have a great time.
If they really don't want to be there, probably best to wait until they're of an age to enjoy it.

Last summer we walked with a 9 year old Irish boy (his 3rd camino) and his dad and also a teenaged Danish girl and her Dad. As I'm sure you know, there seem to be so many people early 20s that your daughter and niece will most likely get on with. My daughter is tall and mature so most people forgot that she was so young.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stayed in albergues and just a couple privates. Never any issues in albergues. In fact after a private room in Burgos my daughter felt like it was a nice break to have real towels and a big bed but she also missed being in an albergue with others.

As others have said, it depends on the 15 year old.
If they enjoy art and history, they may have a great time.
If they really don't want to be there, probably best to wait until they're of an age to enjoy it.
No problems in those areas. These two girls are both athletic and have travelled far and wide. I would never drag them off somewhere they wouldnt like to be.

Oh! I almost forgot about brother and sister teens who we walking with their mom. We were in a couple albergues with them. They did not seem to be enjoying themselves as the girl was on her (speaker) phone with a friend a lot. They also argued with their mom about plans. Not suggesting that your girls would be similar. Just remembering.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If time is on our side we may also walk the historic route into Vegadeo. Best 3 days ever experienced. The alberques were amazing. Check out my previous posts on these 3 etapas

Thank you. They both have a genuine reason and need for healing/ soul searching due to grief so that was why I suggested the Camino.
I walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to Finisterre with my son who was 15 when we started. But in our case, walking the Camino together was his suggestion. I think it will be pretty key to the experience not only whether they have a genuine reason but whether they have the internal motivation and belief that the Camino is what they want to do rather than something that some adult is telling them will help. If they do want to do it, it is certainly possible.

I walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to Finisterre with my son who was 15 when we started. But in our case, walking the Camino together was his suggestion. I think it will be pretty key to the experience not only whether they have a genuine reason but whether they have the internal motivation and belief that the Camino is what they want to do rather than something that some adult is telling them will help. If they do want to do it, it is certainly possible.
Only a suggestion to them on my part to which they both are very keen. They had a significant loss over the last year so hopefully the experience will be of benefit to them both. Thanks for your reply

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Only a suggestion to them on my part to which they both are very keen. They had a significant loss over the last year so hopefully the experience will be of benefit to them both. Thanks for your reply

If they are very keen, that makes all the difference.

We were walking in July and August (when school was out here) and met very few other teenagers. I think there was one Spanish family with a teenage daughter we kept meeting over several days in the meseta. He did find it a bit hard to be away from all of his friends but he didn't have a sibling with him and something he needed to process. In retrospect, he wishes he had been a little less focused on trying to stay connected to his friends at home and a little more focused on connecting with people on the Camino. He did enjoy the experience, though, and hopes to do another Camino some day.

Hi Dilbin!
In order to avoid tedious road walking look up the list of coastal alternatives on the Norte by Peregrina2000. She has given a lot of good advice.

Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you. Will check it out although Ive already completed to the Norte last year. We live near the coast in west of Ireland so avoiding the road is more important than the coastal routes.

I took my two granddaughters last June to walk the Camino francais. We flew to Paris and then took the train to St. Jean. Youngest one was 14 and turned 15 in Melide sitting at a table with the friends she'd made and hearing happy birthday sung to her in Korean. This is what she wrote at the end of the trip. "Thank you so much for this amazing life changing trip. It was has always been my dream to go to Paris and you've made it come true this trip will be one I will truly remember for the rest of my life. Walking the Camino has taught me so much about myself and the beautiful world around me. I loved every part of it from the hiking to the delicious dinners. I made so many amazing memories that I will never forget. There was never a day when I wasn't smiling or excited to see what would come next. Being a pilgrim has made me more positive person and more inviting towards others. Thank you so much for taking the time to put together this trip because it was one of the best times of my life. "Oh and we stayed in a combination of albergues and private rooms. And the albergues were where they made friends and I think they like those best. Have a great trip and it's a blessing to be able to take a young person on something like this.

I took my two granddaughters last June to walk the Camino francais. We flew to Paris and then took the train to St. Jean. Youngest one was 14 and turned 15 in Melide sitting at a table with the friends she'd made and hearing happy birthday sung to her in Korean. This is what she wrote at the end of the trip. "Thank you so much for this amazing life changing trip. It was has always been my dream to go to Paris and you've made it come true this trip will be one I will truly remember for the rest of my life. Walking the Camino has taught me so much about myself and the beautiful world around me. I loved every part of it from the hiking to the delicious dinners. I made so many amazing memories that I will never forget. There was never a day when I wasn't smiling or excited to see what would come next. Being a pilgrim has made me more positive person and more inviting towards others. Thank you so much for taking the time to put together this trip because it was one of the best times of my life. "Oh and we stayed in a combination of albergues and private rooms. And the albergues were where they made friends and I think they like those best. Have a great trip and it's a blessing to be able to take a young person on something like this.
Thank you for sharing that wonderful story.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dilbin, my husband and I walked the CF last year with our 9 and 11 year old sons. We stayed in a few private rooms in albergue without issues, honestly it was just as cost effective to get private accom for the 4 of us than communal albergue. We still me lots of people and had our Camino family. We are on the Camino again right now, the boys are 11 an 13 :) Because we are walking in winter we have no choice but to stay in alburgues and our boys are as welcome as anyone. In short, you won't have any cause for concern about using an albergue with your teens. Our 11 y.o was a little reluctant to use the showers on his own first but didn't take long to get used to it.

I'm sorry for the girls' loss, sounds like a wonderful thing you are doing for/with them. I am having some absolutely WONDERFUL conversations with my boys (and hubby of course!)

Dilbin, my husband and I walked the CF last year with our 9 and 11 year old sons. We stayed in a few private rooms in albergue without issues, honestly it was just as cost effective to get private accom for the 4 of us than communal albergue. We still me lots of people and had our Camino family. We are on the Camino again right now, the boys are 11 an 13 :) Because we are walking in winter we have no choice but to stay in alburgues and our boys are as welcome as anyone. In short, you won't have any cause for concern about using an albergue with your teens. Our 11 y.o was a little reluctant to use the showers on his own first but didn't take long to get used to it.

I'm sorry for the girls' loss, sounds like a wonderful thing you are doing for/with them. I am having some absolutely WONDERFUL conversations with my boys (and hubby of course!)
Thank you. I love what we can learn from our children. These two girls are so strong and selfless its intriguing to listen to them and Im sure if they are still as keen to go in June then we should have a good positive experience.

You're going for a long walk with two teenagers..........right. Seriously you know them and we don't so it's your decision. Good Luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walking Del Norte with my daughter(15) and niece Too young???? I hope to walk next June from Irun to Santander. Im just a little worried that they may be too young forthe Alberques

My 15yo daughter and I completed CF in June- she was quite daunted before we left Tasmania but wanted to come and now she wants to go and do another. We mostly stayed in albergues due to budget. We had travelled before but nothing like the Camino- it was amazing! She actually wrote most of our blog Lizzyandmishywordpress.wordpress.com

Buen camino

I am walking with my daughter this summer. She will be 16 by the time we leave. No, I do not believe that is too young, and there have been many families who have taken much younger children. Regarding the albergues... you have to decide your comfort level with them being in a co-ed room. Last summer I traveled with her to Europe for her first time and I opted for private rooms in hostels/hotels. This year I have decided to take my chances and allow her to stay in co-ed albergues. I figure the clientele in regular hostels (regular Europe travel) vs albergues on the Camino will be a bit different. While I am certain there may be a few who are hoping to "hook up" along the Camino, I don't expect most to have that same motivation. I would HOPE that there will be less "hooking up" in dorm rooms, although I know it could still happen. But since I will be with my daughter, I can monitor her exposure to such things. If I feel she or I are uncomfortable in any way... I will modify our plans and consider private rooms as needed.

I am walking with my daughter this summer. She will be 16 by the time we leave. No, I do not believe that is too young, and there have been many families who have taken much younger children. Regarding the albergues... you have to decide your comfort level with them being in a co-ed room. Last summer I traveled with her to Europe for her first time and I opted for private rooms in hostels/hotels. This year I have decided to take my chances and allow her to stay in co-ed albergues. I figure the clientele in regular hostels (regular Europe travel) vs albergues on the Camino will be a bit different. While I am certain there may be a few who are hoping to "hook up" along the Camino, I don't expect most to have that same motivation. I would HOPE that there will be less "hooking up" in dorm rooms, although I know it could still happen. But since I will be with my daughter, I can monitor her exposure to such things. If I feel she or I are uncomfortable in any way... I will modify our plans and consider private rooms as needed.

Do not worry . There will not be " hooking " up in the dorms seeing there is more than enough social control.

But in the dorms and bathrooms you will occasionally meet that pilgrim that is parading around in his underwear to get from A to B. You quickly learn not to mind but I can imagine that for some people it might feel a bit odd.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do not worry . There will not be " hooking " up in the dorms seeing there is more than enough social control.

But in the dorms and bathrooms you will occasionally meet that pilgrim that is parading around in his underwear to get from A to B. You quickly learn not to mind but I can imagine that for some people it might feel a bit odd.

I think we are getting a bit off subject. Certainly have no worries with my daughter and niece in regard to hooking up etc. Anyway have yet to come across any of the nonsense on the Camino. Then again I have walked the Norte and not the Frances.

I think we are getting a bit off subject. Certainly have no worries with my daughter and niece in regard to hooking up etc. Anyway have yet to come across any of the nonsense on the Camino. Then again I have walked the Norte and not the Frances.

I honestly do not believe I was off topic. I answered to the question and added that there might be parading in underwear. Nothing more.
A Camino is not Disneyland ( like someone here on the forum once said ), so all kind of human interactions will happen. Most pilgrims are gentle and good souls but that does not mean we should not be vigilant and use common sense.

I honestly do not believe I was off topic. I answered to the question and added that there might be parading in underwear. Nothing more.
A Camino is not Disneyland ( like someone here on the forum once said ), so all kind of human interactions will happen. Most pilgrims are gentle and good souls but that does not mean we should not be vigilant and use common sense.
No worries. Kinda replying to last couple of posts. I have read a lot of different experiences on Camino forum and as you siaid plenty of different human interactions. Do appreciate all posts however and thanks to everyone who have replied

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No worries. Kinda replying to last couple of posts. I have read a lot of different experiences on Camino forum and as you siaid plenty of different human interactions. Do appreciate all posts however and thanks to everyone who have replied
In fact on my last Camino someone stole a pair of custom insoles from a fellow pilgrim. For most of us this was a horrible experience to hear of and fortunately as you said most of us on the journey have good hearts and so supportive.

We walked with our 11 year old and 16 year old kiddos. Our younger kiddo walked in an imaginary world he was creating as he stepped. There was some stick swinging/ swooshing at trees along the way and he tended to walk slower after lunch. Our 16 year old was pretty gruntal in communique at the time. Walking brought out the inner dialogue. He spent whole days talking to me. Looking ahead, away from all other distractions he just chatted on and on. I learned an awful lot and consider that the greatest gift of the walk. They were no louder, picky, smelly or tired then any other pilgrims. And now any walk/hike we suggest they think is "no problem". We also came across other families along the way that provided a welcome change for my younger one.

I asked my 12 year old daughter if she wanted to walk the Camino Portuguese with me, and having thought about it she said yes. We went to the local woods, and spent a full day walking 17km/12 miles, and I explained she had to do at least this and probably more every day for 12 days and to understand the cumulative tiredness of doing this every day. She thought about it again, and still wanted to come. We had a great walk, and since then have walked another three caminos. Several tips I learned from walking with her. 1) involve her in all planning and all decisions, then she feels included and takes responsibility for herself and her emotions 2) Give her freedom to make friends and walk with others along the way, the camraderie is great for encouragement and learning 3) Stop and rest when you are tired, and keep chocolate as motivation for getting up the next hill 4) albergues are fine, just sleep in a bed near by, so you are always available should anything come up. (Nothing ever did) 5) Chat when you both want to, walk quietly when you both want to, share your thoughts, moods and emotions. 6) I learned more from walking with her, than she did from walking with me. We are planning camino Number 5 to fit around her exams.

I certainly don't expect to see/hear too much of this, but I know it does sometimes happen. It happens in regular hostels quite often. Much less so on the Camino I am sure, but I have seen youtube videos where pilgrims have complained about the "noises" in the room while attempting to sleep. One vlogger even got up and asked them to stop... only for them to start up again a short while later. I am hopeful though that we will not come across this. Anyhow... I tend to this we will not come across this, but you never know.

I have no problem with my daughter seeing men in their underwear. As long as they are being "appropriate".

Sorry if you feel this was "off topic" but this is the only concern "I" have about having a teenage daughter staying in co-ed dorms in albergues on the Camino. I personally think it needs to be considered prior to making a decision of whether or not to all a teenage girl to sleep in a co-ed dorm. The risk is minimal, but it does exist. I am not concerned about MY DAUGHTER hooking up... but I am concerned about others choosing to hook up in the same dorm my daughter is sleeping in. It does happen in regular hostels. And I have heard of some incidents where it has happened in the albergues along the Camino. Again, I think the risk is minimal, but with consideration, especially given young ages and different maturity levels of teen girls.

Sorry if you feel this was "off topic" but this is the only concern "I" have about having a teenage daughter staying in co-ed dorms in albergues on the Camino. I personally think it needs to be considered prior to making a decision of whether or not to all a teenage girl to sleep in a co-ed dorm. The risk is minimal, but it does exist. I am not concerned about MY DAUGHTER hooking up... but I am concerned about others choosing to hook up in the same dorm my daughter is sleeping in. It does happen in regular hostels. And I have heard of some incidents where it has happened in the albergues along the Camino. Again, I think the risk is minimal, but with consideration, especially given young ages and different maturity levels of teen girls.
Yea. Maybe Im delusional or just have been fortunate to only meet really wonderful people on my various trips on the camino. Fortunately her cousin is also going and also her father(Brother in law) so the dynamic has changed. Thank you for raising relevant concerns.

Yea. Maybe Im delusional or just have been fortunate to only meet really wonderful people on my various trips on the camino. Fortunately her cousin is also going and also her father(Brother in law) so the dynamic has changed. Thank you for raising relevant concerns.
Nice that your brother in law will be along. We are doing this together without anyone else. Looking forward to it!

We took our 13 year old grandson in September 2019. I was more worried about the 2 days of travel to get there (from NZ) than him coping with the walk. (I also had more doubts about my husband's ability to cope with 'winging it' as he doesn't tend to like surprises.)
They both loved it. We met very few others with kids, one 12 year old cycling with his father and a 10 year old girl walking with her father for a week.
Our grandson knew what he was getting in for, we walked during weekends for months beforehand, showed him movies and YouTube clips. It turns out my passion for history is contagious, as he soaked up all the information beforehand.
He knew what 20 kms of walking felt like. He knew it would be hot. Much hotter than home. He knew we would stay in a mixture of accommodation and that we wouldnt always have a room to ourselves. He knew it would be an adventure, but he also knew I had walked twice before by myself so that made him confident.

He loved:
Choosing and ordering his own meals. Something he doesnt get to do often at home.
Collecting sellos (several credentials worth), sometimes people have special ones for kids too.
Finding arrows, his eagle eyes were a great help
Looking at the guide book the night before and memorising the order of the villages.
Discovering an 'oasis' an unexpected refreshment station, especially the one on the way to Astorga. He was always so delighted to come upon them.

I have walked on my own, but it was special taking him and my husband along. We did offer to take the oldest grand daughter as well, but she was entirely put off by the idea of having to walk.

We did the Sarria to Santiago walk with our twins in April/May 2014 when they were nearly 15 years old. They managed very well and then did the full Camino Frances from St Jean with us in June/July 2017. Regular snacks like dried fruit, nuts and muesli bars were useful.

Absolutely not. I walked the Camino Frances with my 16 year old son. It was an amazing adventure. We met a mother with a 10 year old along the way. You will be fine.

We walked the cf with a 2 year old from st jean to sdc she loved it and there are plenty of private rooms on the way
Ádh mór agus bain sult as !!

Attachments

• 20190827_123628.jpg
    20190827_123628.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They are not too young to walk everyday but you might want to take them on them on the Francis instead. My granddaughters loved the friends they made (especially the cute boys,) and still keep in touch with both guys and girls. I have heard the Norte is more difficult and fewer people.

Ten Caminos and I've yet to experience this sort of inappropriate behaviour in the albergues, although I have heard of incidents-- another poster has mentioned social control, which seems to keep it out of play (even if exhaustion hasn't!). Some Europeans have a different take on the relation between textiles and modesty but aside from raising questions on why Germans of a certain age all seem to prefer striped underwear, it's not an issue.

I have encountered a number of people walking with teenaged children and grandchildren, and they seem to be having a great time. I have spoken with two people where it really didn't work out, but one of them later told me that their grumpy teenager, in the years since, speaks to his friends of his wonderful time. It really depends. I think we all wish @Dilbin and her daughter and niece have an excellent and memorable experience.

They are not too young to walk everyday but you might want to take them on them on the Francis instead. My granddaughters loved the friends they made (especially the cute boys,) and still keep in touch with both guys and girls. I have heard the Norte is more difficult and fewer people.
Thanks Easygoing. I have walked the Norte myself last year and it was phenomenal. Just a heads up, the 3 days out from Santander were all asphalt and made a mess of my feet otherwise it was absolutely beautiful. In terms of compromising I couldn't imagine doing the Frances route but thats because of crowds. However the Norte is getting very busy now and we will meet plenty of pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back