• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking with family

bergin c/o

hello, we are planning to walk this year. it is myself my wife and 9 year old daughter. we would like to start from sarria.and take our time. possible going late june early july. we did not want to be held to a ridged schedule. take a week to do the last section, but did not know if we could find places to stay on the fly like that, or if we needed to find places and reserve ahead.thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How wonderful that you can walk as a family!
I'm sure you will find beds at the end of June.

(From my book)
The number of children on the Camino is growing. More and more young families and individuals are doing the Camino together with their children. Unfortunately, there are no up to date statistics on babies or very young children but these stats for children from 0 to 12 years are from 2006 to 2009:

2006 – 930
2007 – 1 070
2008 – 1 093
2009 – 1 272

In the 1999 Holy Year 1 470 children were registered at Santiago and in the 2004 Holy Year 7% of the pilgrims registered at Santiago were from 0–10 years of age (925 children) and 11–15 years (15 967 children).

Useful websites

• After a week’s training and a fitness test during the Easter holiday in April 2005, eight-year-old Camille started her pilgrimage to Compostela by walking the 65 km from Puy en Velay to Saint Roch. terragalice.blog4ever.com/blog/lirarticle-45469-167723.html

• Pint-sized pilgrims on the Camino. http://www.soultravelers3.com/

• ‘El Camino de Santiago. La Ruta Xacobea Paso a Paso’ (The Way of Sanitago, the Xacobean Route, Step by Step) is a lovely French documentary that focuses on the pilgrims’ experiences, reasons for undertaking the pilgrimage, and spiritual changes felt. It shows some ingenious means created by pilgrims with children, such as carts fashioned with mountain bicycle wheels. The documentary is available only in French and Spanish. It is distributed by DVD Spain: http://www.dvdspain.net/

• ‘Little Pilgrim’s Journey to Santiago de Compostela’
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnqpoELm ... dded#at=30

• ‘El Camino de Santiago: Rites of Passage Chimenti, Wayne. Trafford Publishing. This is about the Chimenti family’s travels on a 500-mile walking pilgrimage. It started as Nahja, their 12-year-old daughter’s ‘rite of passage’. It turned out to be a test for everyone.

The Compostela
Children under a certain age are not given a Compostela. Confession and communion remain essential to the granting of the certificate of having completed the pilgrimage and if a child has not yet received their first communion they cannot comply with the requirements for the Compostela. Parents can request an alternative certificate.

how is the ability to find accomadation on the trail. do we need to make plans ahead or can we make it as we go thanks. is june very busy ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back