• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking with flip flops and short sleeves?

superwomant

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2013
will it be too cold for May? I don't want to bring too many things, and I also feel I'll get quite hot walking, and I don't like the smell of smelly socks and shoes so I plan to wear flip flops. Is that realistic?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Do you mean flip flops to walk in, or just for the evenings?

Regardless of the weather, you don't want to walk in flip flops. Not nearly enough support for your poor feet!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yallah said:
Do you mean flip flops to walk in, or just for the evenings?

Regardless of the weather, you don't want to walk in flip flops. Not nearly enough support for your poor feet!

I mean for walking. Maybe I'll wear Crocs for walking then, they should be better.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I suggest you go for a walk now wearing your desired footwear and then you can come to your own conclusions. You must have some pretty tough feet to do this whole walk (or even part of it) in flip flops.

Terrri said:
I suggest you go for a walk now wearing your desired footwear and then you can come to your own conclusions. You must have some pretty tough feet to do this whole walk (or even part of it) in flip flops.

good suggestion

I suggest walking 25 km a day the next 3 days in flip flops on rugged and stony paths, up and down steep hills, if you are fine on monday you are good to go

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
flip-flops --- just NO !!!

The lightest footgear you can get away with would be converse trainers or, simply, sandals.

(well -- there's barefoot too, but that requires some serious training)

flip-flops are too dangerous, because they provide negative levels of foot support.

Short sleeves should be fine, but bring something in the pack for cold & rain just in case.

JabbaPapa said:
flip-flops --- just NO !!!

The lightest footgear you can get away with would be converse trainers or, simply, sandals.

(well -- there's barefoot too, but that requires some serious training)

flip-flops are too dangerous, because they provide negative levels of foot support.

Short sleeves should be fine, but bring something in the pack for cold & rain just in case.
Do you have any recommendations for sandals? i like the idea of sandals

I have seen Indonesians climb some rugged volcanoes in flip flops. Wouldn't work for me though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
superwomant said:
Do you have any recommendations for sandals? i like the idea of sandals

No sorry, from ankle problems I can't use them myself, but need to wear army boots (for the extra support) -- both on and off the Camino LOL

There are some very minimalist running shoes available that are not much more than glorified flip flops, I know people that do triathlons and longer distances in them. They are basically some form of thin rubber sole protection with a fancy means of attaching them to your foot. I run in Vibram Five Fingers which are very comfortable over long distances if a bit badly made.

You really need to build up distance though, it took me 6 months to get back up to where I was when I swapped. Obviously walking will be a lot less stressful than running however you'll also have an extra 10'ish kg of weight to support.

Personally if I was doing it again I wouldn't bother with walking boots. It's nowhere near as challenging on the feet as a good mountain walk. I'd go for a decent Goretex approach or trail running shoe.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A flip flop is going to do exactly what it's name says: it will flip and flop! Anne

Have a look at the Keen CNX sandals they are supposed to be good. They have a covered toe which will keep gravel out. I have Keen boots and they are great.

I walked the Camino Frances in a February-March and for two weeks I shared it with a pilgrim who had a lot of problems with blisters and therefore walked most of it in flip-flops (The expensive ones where you heat it up so it forms to your foot) and socks.
It was painful for the eye to see him walk very slowly, through snow (although he occasionally changed to sneakers when weather was really bad).
I would never recommend anyone to walk in flip-flops but after what I saw I have to say it is possible.
Just plan to take a lot! more time to walk it.
For the pilgrim I meet it didn't matter and although he sometimes had to take a taxi to get to the next town and albergue, he demonstrated determination, faith and alternative thinking.
He just wanted to walk to Santiago de Compostella, which is what he did.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I hadn't already bought my hiking tennis shoes, I would walk the entire Camino in my very lightweight Keen closed-toe sandals. It poured rain when I was training last week and my tennis shoes got wet, so I put on my new Keen sandals and trekked the last 4 miles in sublime comfort. I'll alternate shoes when I walk my camino in a few days.
http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/wall/Shoes/women/na/16,492
Buen Camino

I have walked several caminos in Chaco's sandals. Very supportive and a reasonably stiff sole. I would recommend practicing in them a lot, however, as they offer no ankle support and can cause blisters until they are broken in.

Walked from Sarria to Santiago last year. Met two lovely Scottish guys doing the whole walk. They changed to Keen sandals early on and walked the rest of the way. They said they were very comfortable. It was May June tome

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On my Camino Frances walk in 2010 we saw plenty of socks and crocs. A bad look and not at all good for support . However their heels were free from rubbing boots.

if something feels more comfertable than something else, I suggest not leting the fact that one has bought something take precedence. 800 in the less comfy shoes does not outweigh the spending...

besides, I am sure one can always find alternative uses for not brought sneakers...

just sayin'

I had planned to walk with my Keen Newport sandals. Did several 10 mile hikes on very rocky trails with no problems. Next I backpacked 9 miles in the Keens with a 30# pack over mostly packed snow. With Seal Skinz as a waterproof layer and thick wool socks my feet stayed dry & warm, but the grip of the soles wasn't great. Would have fallen several times had I not saved myself with my hiking stick.

Alas! Two days later I had Achilles' tendinitis. It's 6 weeks later now and I still have vestiges of the tendinitis. So much for my training plans!

Have upgraded to leather Miendl oxford style hiking shoes. Vibram lugged soles for grip and much thicker sole to cushion my heel. Hope to give them a good try soon.

Chuck

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've been wearing my Teva hiking sandals on some of my practice hikes while the weather here has been in the 35-42 C ranges. I'll also be taking them with me as after hike shoes, but I'm not sure I'd walk the whole way in them.

I need lots of arch support and while these are quite good I do feel it after 15km or so, but i have read about others walking the whole way in them, or other hiking sandals.

I also seem to flip dirt up into them very regularly, so I think that would drive me nuts.

I did flip-flops on a long hike in Sicily one summer and lived to regret it. The bottoms of both of my feet turned into giant blisters from the heat of the pavement and lack of insulation provided by socks and thick soled boots/shoes. One day and out if you tried to walk 20k in flip-flops on the mesata during the summer, for sure! I'll take smelly, sweaty socks any day over what I suffered.

superwomant said:
will it be too cold for May?... I plan to wear flip flops. Is that realistic?
You didn't specify from where to where you intend to walk, but I would fear that your walk might be a "flop" :mrgreen:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You may be in great shape Superwomant, but seriously, flip-flops? If you really are set in hiking in sandals, then look for some that will not only be comfortable, but have a sole with a gripping tread for different terrain, -oh, yeah, that don't flop either :mrgreen: . There are many out there, and some very lightweight ones for that matter. With flip-flops eventually you'll find yourself with an array of foot problems that you don't want if you plan on enjoying your journey; just follow some of the common sense advice that many are giving you. Have a buen Camino!

Ultreia!

Mary

May is still rainy in Spain (especially in Navarra & Galicia), if you choose sandals for walking, you have to take waterproof trekking shoes also with you, for those rainy days. It means almost double weight... Think it over... Trekking saldals are OK in july & august but not in May. The flip-flop idea made smile on my face for the whole day:)

Superwoman ,

I am concerned that have also started a recent thread indicating you plan to do the Camino in 2-3 weeks doing 40km stages. Are you now saying you plan to do this in flip flops?

Do you actually have any experience walking distance over many days?

The choice of topics seem strange.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back