• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with Knee Replacements

Kymgard

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Camino Frances, Summer, 2013
St. Jean to Finisterre/Muxi, Summer, 2015
I have a friend who has had replacement surgery on both her knees and, with her husband, has been planning to walk the Camino Frances this fall. Understandably, they have been quite concerned over how she will fare and are now seriously considering whether they should even go.

Having walked the Camino twice, my wife and I have a fair idea of what's in store for our friends and have encouraged them to go. We have discussed with them the idea of making reasonable goals, maintaining a comfortable and safe pace, and have assured them, as others have observed in this forum, there is no shame in using other means of transportation.

I would love to hear from anyone who has walked the Camino with one or both knees replaced. What has been your experience? Can it be done? What were the greatest challenges?

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Shouldn't the potential pilgrim make the determination herself? Weekend walks with a full pack nearby will be a lot less expensive than Camino-testing theories presented by Forum Members who may or may not have had knee replacements before walking the Camino. The Camino is the very worst place to discover something for the first time (except scenery, food, and people).

If she were worried about being able to sleep with earplugs in her ear, surely she would try them at home first.

A friend has had four ankle surgeries after we walked a Camino. He is not ready to go again because he knows what the ankle will need to feel like on the pilgrimage. He makes that determination through his own actions, not the advice he gets from me or others! :)

Shouldn't the potential pilgrim make the determination herself? Weekend walks with a full pack nearby will be a lot less expensive than Camino-testing theories presented by Forum Members who may or may not have had knee replacements before walking the Camino. The Camino is the very worst place to discover something for the first time (except scenery, food, and people).

If she were worried about being able to sleep with earplugs in her ear, surely she would try them at home first.

A friend has had four ankle surgeries after we walked a Camino. He is not ready to go again because he knows what the ankle will need to feel like on the pilgrimage. He makes that determination through his own actions, not the advice he gets from me or others! :)
I'm not sure you understood my question, or perhaps I did not express myself as well as I might have done. Of course, it has to be her decision, and clearly she should prepare properly; however, it seems reasonable to seek the testimonies from those who have actually walked the Camino with the same challenges she faces. No matter how well you prepare, unless you are actually walking half marathons each day for a month with a full pack, you don't know what to expect.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
it seems reasonable to seek the testimonies from those who have actually walked the Camino with the same challenges she faces.
I hear you! I hope she can get a response from pilgrims who can identify training that worked and the special challenges of ups, downs, and slopes. With luck they will apply to her situation, and provide motivation and support.

I have lousy ankles ("the flattest feet I have ever seen" according to the best foot and ankle hospital in my area). I am down to advising "take the pain." I admit that is not much of a solution!! :)

I have a friend who has had replacement surgery on both her knees and, with her husband, has been planning to walk the Camino Frances this fall. Understandably, they have been quite concerned over how she will fare and are now seriously considering whether they should even go.

Having walked the Camino twice, my wife and I have a fair idea of what's in store for our friends and have encouraged them to go. We have discussed with them the idea of making reasonable goals, maintaining a comfortable and safe pace, and have assured them, as others have observed in this forum, there is no shame in using other means of transportation.

I would love to hear from anyone who has walked the Camino with one or both knees replaced. What has been your experience? Can it be done? What were the greatest challenges?

Thanks!

Not the Camino but we have a dear friend in his late 60s who is an avid world trekker and has had 3 knee replacements (he wore out an earlier one!) as well as 1 hip. We first met him on the Kokoda Track in 2009 (2 knees + 1 hip) and since then he has managed at least one or more long walks - with pack carry - somewhere in the world. This has included some rugged New Zealand climbs. Among our friends he is no exception as there is regular comparison of knee, hip and shoulder joint replacements.

It really does depend on what exercise regime your friend has - both now and in her pre-knee operation past - and how she has been progressing since her operation. You don't say how long ago the surgery was. I assume that she has recovered well and has good functional use of both her knees.

If anything, the Camino is an ideal walk as it can be as long or as short as she can manage, packs can be transported, she is assured of a bed and a meal each day wherever she stops and rest days can be added whenever necessary.

If her doctor has given her the OK and she has a steady fitness and strengthening regime in place, I would give her my full support. @falcon269 does have a point though and I would recommend building up to some back to back weekend walks to see how she coped first.

My husband, Mike, had a knee replacement in September 2014 and we walked the Portugues from Porto, then the Ingles from Ferrol and then on to Finisterre and Muxia, 500 km in June 2015. We started from Porto, rather than Lisbon, as we knew that we could start with shorter daily stages until we knew how he was coping. The Camino Frances is ideal for this as there are so many accommodation options. We were in danger of doing the slowest camino ever at first but worked up to a few 30 km days. All good. If your friend takes it slowly, (if starting from SJPDP stop at Orrison the first night), listens to her body and doesn't push too hard, she should be fine. Good advice for anyone, actually!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I just returned from our Camino at the end of April. We walked from SJDPD. My wife had her knee replaced about a year ago and she did very well with her new knee. We trained on a consistent basis increasing distance regularly with our longest training a 22 mile day. On our walk we averaged about 20 km per day and are now planning the Norte.

Thanks!
83 year old. Had rt knee replaced 2009. Climbed Kilimanjaro 2010. Had left knee replaced Dec. 2012, Camino April 2013. Camino 2014. Camino 2015. God willing Camino Portugese Sept 2016. Used pacer poles. They are a must for me. If you think it can be done, it can. If you think it can't be done. It can't. The Camino is 80 % mental and 20% physical. If not now. . . When? Buen Camino.

83 year old. Had rt knee replaced 2009. Climbed Kilimanjaro 2010. Had left knee replaced Dec. 2012, Camino April 2013. Camino 2014. Camino 2015. God willing Camino Portugese Sept 2016. Used pacer poles. They are a must for me. If you think it can be done, it can. If you think it can't be done. It can't. The Camino is 80 % mental and 20% physical. If not now. . . When? Buen Camino.

You're an inspiration. Go Well on the Portugese.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Had knees replaced- Left in 2006 and Right in 2011 plus revision of left at the same time.I spent about 18 months preparing for the Camino by increasing my stamina and endurance. I did not train with a full pack.
Despite the preparation in 2014 day 1 St. Jean pied de Port to Roncesvalles was a huge shock and I did question the error of my ways. Day 2 was almost as draining but I made it.
Knee-wise not too much of a problem except for pain at night, managed with paracetamol and occasionally anti inflammatory medication.

After my first uneventful Camino I walked again in 2015- this time SJPDP to Finisterre. Bitten by the bug despite knees!

My wife had both half-knee replacements about 12 year ago. We walked Roncesvalles to SDC in 2014 and Le Puy to Condom in 2015 without any problems. Just know your limitation's and stick to them. She also carries her own pack. She has to be slow and careful going down hills but otherwise it's all good.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked 100 km of the Camino in 2008, 1 year after I had a full knee replacement. I wore elastic "braces" (just over-the-counter ones) every day, and my knees were stiff when I woke in the morning, but after walking a bit and stretching they were fine the rest of the day. I had my other knee "done" in 2010 and (at age 67) plan on walking 100 km of the Camino and then going on to Finesterre in 2017. I work out in the gym 2 times a week and walk in between, but I'm no athlete. You can do it.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.