• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with lumbar pack only

Joanne P

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2018 & June 2023
Has anyone walked with a lumbar (waist) pack only? If so, what pack did you use and would you recommend it?

I walked the Frances in 2018 with a 6kg backpack but I now have an issue with my shoulder so I'm considering using a lumbar pack next year if I can tweak (reduce) my gear a bit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used to train for overnight walks with a somewhat large two-bottle variant, but it ended up irritating my lower back.

What country are you in? REI sells what looks like a good one

This guy did a bunch of caminos with a lumbar pack: http://www.roadwalking.com/
If i remember correctly, he stayed in hotels, so no sleeping bag needed which saves quite some volume.
I am not sure if there are bigger waist packs on the market, but i guess, if you opted for a silk liner instead of a sleeping bag you could make do with something around 10L of volume if you really cut down on the items (I'm talking below 3kg).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I like to take weight off my shoulders also. I have used a lumbar pack for day hikes and been successful, they offer exterior tie downs for jackets and the like but I have not found one of volume ( 15-25 litres ) usable for the Camino, however there are some military versions that look interesting. You may consider a well fitted, shortened back pack ( a good outdoor store will fit you relative to your upper torso ) With a wide waist belt ( this you can tighten to take weight off the shoulder straps to the point of them being loose-ish ) "Osprey" perhaps. I have had good luck using the wide belt pack.

Has anyone walked with a lumbar (waist) pack only? If so, what pack did you use and would you recommend it?

I walked the Frances in 2018 with a 6kg backpack but I now have an issue with my shoulder so I'm considering using a lumbar pack next year if I can tweak (reduce) my gear a bit.
What about a light(I have a 3 oz. one)backpack for just your sleeping bag, and everything else in a lumbar? Would that work?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I prepared for my 2018 Ingles with a Mountainsmith 13 litre lumbar pack

1662390803886.png
Staying in hostals and private accommodation I didn't need any bedding, just clothes (I strapped my Altus underneath - webbing straps are already fitted). Everything went in OK but I found it drooped too much for a long day hike so had to add the additional shoulder straps

1662390935203.png
which would defeat the purpose as far as you are concerned. In the end I chickened out and took my normal 40l pack.

Might something like a sling pack work for you? Do you have a problem with both shoulders? This one holds 15l (I have a G4Free daysack and it is quite well made)

1662391282804.png 1662391308851.png

Sling Pack

Edit, This One is 25 litres

Last edited:
There should be very little weight on the shoulders with a well fitting backpack with a good suspension that transfers most of the load to the hips. From this article:

A properly fitting backpack should comfortably transfer approximately 80 percent of its weight to your hips and lower body, 20 percent to the front of your shoulders, and exactly zero to the top of your shoulders.

But perhaps, your shoulder issue makes it difficult to put on/take off a backpack?

I used to train for overnight walks with a somewhat large two-bottle variant, but it ended up irritating my lower back.

What country are you in? REI sells what looks like a good one
Thanks. I'm in Australia

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This guy did a bunch of caminos with a lumbar pack: http://www.roadwalking.com/
If i remember correctly, he stayed in hotels, so no sleeping bag needed which saves quite some volume.
I am not sure if there are bigger waist packs on the market, but i guess, if you opted for a silk liner instead of a sleeping bag you could make do with something around 10L of volume if you really cut down on the items (I'm talking below 3kg).
Thanks for the link. :)

What about a light(I have a 3 oz. one)backpack for just your sleeping bag, and everything else in a lumbar? Would that work?
Yes, I've been thinking about that too. The frameless backpack I used in 2018 is very light, and not too big, so spreading the weight across the backpack and a waist pack could work.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I prepared for my 2018 Ingles with a Mountainsmith 13 litre lumbar pack

View attachment 132254
Staying in hostals and private accommodation I didn't need any bedding, just clothes (I strapped my Altus underneath - webbing straps are already fitted). Everything went in OK but I found it drooped too much for a long day hike so had to add the additional shoulder straps

View attachment 132255
which would defeat the purpose as far as you are concerned. In the end I chickened out and took my normal 40l pack.

Might something like a sling pack work for you? Do you have a problem with both shoulders? This one holds 15l (I have a G4Free daysack and it is quite well made)

View attachment 132256 View attachment 132257

Sling Pack

Edit, This One is 25 litres
Yes, I did wonder about the "droop factor". The sling pack is worth a thought, thank you for that idea. One should is ok, thank goodness!

There should be very little weight on the shoulders with a well fitting backpack with a good suspension that transfers most of the load to the hips. From this article:

A properly fitting backpack should comfortably transfer approximately 80 percent of its weight to your hips and lower body, 20 percent to the front of your shoulders, and exactly zero to the top of your shoulders.

But perhaps, your shoulder issue makes it difficult to put on/take off a backpack?
Yes, that range of movement (taking a backpack on and off) is becoming problematic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I like to take weight off my shoulders also. I have used a lumbar pack for day hikes and been successful, they offer exterior tie downs for jackets and the like but I have not found one of volume ( 15-25 litres ) usable for the Camino, however there are some military versions that look interesting. You may consider a well fitted, shortened back pack ( a good outdoor store will fit you relative to your upper torso ) With a wide waist belt ( this you can tighten to take weight off the shoulder straps to the point of them being loose-ish ) "Osprey" perhaps. I have had good luck using the wide belt pack.

I find this interesting.

I use an Osprey 34 that has an internal frame.

There is zero weight on my shoulders. It is all on my hips.
The shoulder straps, because I cinch in the load lifters, actually lift off my shoulders totally.
You could slip three fingers under them.
So the only purpose the shoulder straps perform, is to stop the pack falling off backwards.......
They carry no weight......

My wife's Osprey 22 is the same.

I wonder if it's an issue of fit?

I did about 5 days last year with the large mountainsmith lumbar pack. It was HORRIBLE!!!! First of all I couldn’t cinch it tight enough (I’m a petite female and the OS that could fit the jolly green giant was too big for me) so I wrapped the sleeves of a t-shirt in an effort to get it closer to my body. Didn’t work. I saw they have the back straps that you can buy separate but as someone already mentioned, that defeats the purpose. Not to mention that by the end of the day the lateral aspects of my hips ached to the point that I could hardly walk without pain. Ahh the lessons of the El Camino. I ended up shipping my bag ahead which I didn’t want to do since I didn’t want to commit to where I was staying at night. It all worked out but I wouldn’t do that again. Despite my issues with upper back pain I’m back on the Camino later this month sporting a back pack.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.