• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Walking with my boys.

SAGALOUTS SON

Time of past OR future Camino
My Dad loved the Camino
Hi All,

My dad was @Sagalouts . I last posted after his funeral/wake in 2015. Thanks for all of the kind thoughts/memories.

I am bringing my 2 boys aged 15 and 13 to walk some of The Camino in July. Looking for advice on everything! We are probably going to start in Sarria.

Kind regards and hello again

Sagalouts son.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi All,

My dad was @Sagalouts . I last posted after his funeral/wake in 2015. Thanks for all of the kind thoughts/memories.

I am bringing my 2 boys aged 15 and 13 to walk some of The Camino in July. Looking for advice on everything! We are probably going to start in Sarria.

Sagalouts son.
I was too late to know your dad, but it is a gift to find you taking up his torch. And with your boys. I need to pin this thread, I will learn how to do it now!

I was one of many who always enjoyed hearing from @Sagalouts. He was direct, funny, raw, and a real lover of life. I remembered that he had a very snappy description of himself and I had to hunt to find it but here it is — semi-retired publican not going gentle into that goodnight

Wishing you an absolutely wonderful camino with your sons, I’m sure it would make your dad so very happy. And for advice, you could start by reading some of your dad’s posts, if you haven’t already.

There are some real gems in there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked with my 13 yo from Leon in 2015, and then again (at 14yo) from SJPP in 2016. Walking from Leon took us about 13 days. --- Walking with Ciaran changed our relationship, brought us closer and gave us stories to share. He is now 22 and finishing university, and I am incredibly glad he walked-- and honored that he walked with me.

When my son was about 18, he said to me "I learned on the camino that you can complain as much as you want, but the hill is still there, and you still have to walk up it."

We walked the second time upon my son's request. When he first asked me to go back to the camino, I was dismissive. I'd have to pull him out of school, it was expensive, etc. Then I caught myself-- My 14yo son was asking me to go on pilgrimage with him. This was a once in a life time opportunity for a journey together.

I encourage you to consider a longer walk than from Sarria.

I can think of a few tidbits of practice advice:
  • My 13 year old had more energy than I did, he wanted to leave early and walk as far as possible in one day. He was frustrated at my wanting to stop for coffee or look at a museum. So, it would be good to talk this out a bit before hand.
  • My son was hungrier than I was. It took me a few days to realize that his grumpiness in the early afternoons arose from lack of calories. He was walking and growing at the same time. We increased time allowed for lunch and also increased the size of lunch. Chocolate with nuts became a staple.
  • My son did not hurt like I did. I had blisters and aching feet- and on the first walk, my knee bothered me. He was ready to move out and keep moving. He did not get blisters. He did not ache. He would go for walks after we reached out destination. I increased my amount of motrin, and that (along with the chocolate) decreased my grumpiness.
  • We often separated (he walked ahead).
  • The three of you might want to go on some practice walks and see how you can pace yourselves. (Though, that will happen on the camino anyway, if you don't get around to it.)

Attachments

• D077EAFF-EBB2-4F67-9E83-27AFD7E8C344.jpeg
    D077EAFF-EBB2-4F67-9E83-27AFD7E8C344.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 137
I walked with my 13 yo from Leon in 2015, and then again (at 14yo) from SJPP in 2016. Walking from Leon took us about 13 days. --- Walking with Ciaran changed our relationship, brought us closer and gave us stories to share. He is now 22 and finishing university, and I am incredibly glad he walked-- and honored that he walked with me.

When my son was about 18, he said to me "I learned on the camino that you can complain as much as you want, but the hill is still there, and you still have to walk up it."

We walked the second time upon my son's request. When he first asked me to go back to the camino, I was dismissive. I'd have to pull him out of school, it was expensive, etc. Then I caught myself-- My 14yo son was asking me to go on pilgrimage with him. This was a once in a life time opportunity for a journey together.

I encourage you to consider a longer walk than from Sarria.

I can think of a few tidbits of practice advice:
  • My 13 year old had more energy than I did, he wanted to leave early and walk as far as possible in one day. He was frustrated at my wanting to stop for coffee or look at a museum. So, it would be good to talk this out a bit before hand.
  • My son was hungrier than I was. It took me a few days to realize that his grumpiness in the early afternoons arose from lack of calories. He was walking and growing at the same time. We increased time allowed for lunch and also increased the size of lunch. Chocolate with nuts became a staple.
  • My son did not hurt like I did. I had blisters and aching feet- and on the first walk, my knee bothered me. He was ready to move out and keep moving. He did not get blisters. He did not ache. He would go for walks after we reached out destination. I increased my amount of motrin, and that (along with the chocolate) decreased my grumpiness.
  • We often separated (he walked ahead).
  • The three of you might want to go on some practice walks and see how you can pace yourselves. (Though, that will happen on the camino anyway, if you don't get around to it.)
Great tips. I am thinking about the distance that we could do. Looking st about 10 days and the wife is a worrier, hence the shorter initial plan.

And for advice, you could start by reading some of your dad’s posts, if you haven’t already.
Wonderful idea Laurie. I think I have a better link to @Sagalouts' posts though. I don't know how long the temporary URL will be good for.

@SAGALOUTS SON and grandsons, have a grand time.

Take a look at this current thread in a bit when more ideas have been added.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@SAGALOUTS SON welcome back to this forum. Sarria to Santiago? You and your boys will have a ball. But have a look and see if maybe you can start from Ponferrada. A little taste of the “wilder” Camino. Though whatever miles you walk you can tell your boys, with pride, “your grandad came this way”. (and made a lot of people smile when he did)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great tips. I am thinking about the distance that we could do. Looking st about 10 days and the wife is a worrier, hence the shorter initial plan.
Another thought and a response:

I had buy in from my younger son, Ciaran. My older son, Aidan, was 16 yo when Ciaran and I walked together. I had talked about walking the camino for over ten years-- I had hoped to do it as a family. But then, my husband was not interested in it, and then he became ill. And it was hard to find a month free... So the years rushed by. Then in June 2014, my mother died of cancer and that jarred me into seeing the passing years. So finally, although I still couldn't find the time to walk the whole thing, I decided I was walking come hell or high water.

I asked my teenage boys if they wanted to walk with me. My older son asked me why I didn't "just rent a car". I thought, "Right, you're not coming." Ciaran thought for a minute and then asked if we could get roast lamb along the way. I nodded and he said "Sure, I'll go." And we did.

Response about concerned, worrying family members:

My husband was concerned that something might happen as well. We could become ill, I could turn my ankle, there could be a flood.... My response was "we'll call a taxi." It wasn't as though I was going to be hiking the Pacific Rim Trail, or the Appalachian Trail. And I had a credit card with me, and hospitals and hotels exist in Spain just like here in NYS. I promised to check in with him via text and to keep my cell phone on so he could track me as we walked. (He later said that tracking us was very boring as we moved so slowly.)

In fact, we did run into problems the second time. Ciaran became ill and we ended up stopping just before Burgos. We caught a bus into Burgos, where he rested and recovered (and we had a roast lamb dinner). Then, as were completely behind in our schedule, we took the train to Santiago. -- In 2018, we returned to the Camino, found our our 2016 stopping point and walked again. (Three times is the charm.)

I hope no one will mind if I derail the thread with memories of @Sagalouts. I have been scrolling through some of his posts this afternoon, and found some particularly wonderful (and poignant) ones:

January 10, 2013
whenever I walk the camino I am always taken by the crosses the memorials of those that have died on the camino,including one village that erected a statue of a bike in remembrance of a cyclist killed in there village,I always take time for a quite contemplation and think that when my time comes I could think of worse places to go
Ian

Oct.22, 2012
each to their own,but for me staying in hotels is like going to a party and sitting next door,a concert and sitting at the back,its a low fat diet, caffeine free Camino-no give me the down and dirty everytime-booking in by 2pm doing your washing then laying on the grass taking in the sun-talking and heaven forbid mingling and connecting with your fellow pilgrims maybe even the odd guitar,how can you not get enough of Bob Marley songs,"its all I've ever heard" the shared cooked meal eaten by the table that would put the United Nations to shame,the clink of glasses-I have learned to say cheers in 15 or more different language's-up nice and early sharing that coffee 5k down the road after being lulled to sleep by the snoring-farting and dare I say copulating couples and always the enduring smell of your fellow Pilgrims drifting in the air-keeping it real while you sit billy no mates on your pristine sheets-charging up your i-pods,kindels,gps? whatever, while writing god knows what in your journals contemplating the answer to it all "boots or running shoes"? safe in the knowledge you are solving Spains economic problems :roll:
no my place is with the great unwashed-but hey as I said each to their own after all we all walk our own Camino right.
no children or animals were harmed while writing this post but a glass of wine may have been consumed 😉
Ian

March 13, 2012
(Thread title — most significant moment of the day)
for me its that point when you hit your stride,you've had that first coffee,the sun has risen,your body has warmed up and working,your feet and legs have stopped hurting,your talking to the birds ( and they are talking back :oops: ) that first butterfly zigzagging in front of you,that feeling of being part of your surroundings of belonging,knowing that first cold beer is just 5km down the road :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked in July with my 15 year old son (15 when we started, 16 by the time we finished). Teenagers can get hangry so I tended to carry what I called "insurance food" (baguette, cheese, chorizo, a bit of fruit) especially on days with long distances between villages with bars or shops. My son felt the distance from his friends and was really trying, when not walking, to stay connected with them. He afterwards said he regretted that and wished he had spent more time connecting with the people on the Camino when not walking and less time connecting with friends at home. But I don't regret letting him make his own decisions. Teenagers can have more energy and walk faster/further. In our case, that led to him getting pretty bad blisters until we learned we needed to moderate.

Minimize the advice and the "dad" stuff. Teenagers get more than enough of that at home, and I have seen a lot of parent-child discord on caminos. It ruined the experience for all of them. If they can view you as a fellow pilgrim, you will be blessed.

And vice versa.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the full Camino Frances with my adult sons and they both seemed to enjoy the experience, although they marveled that mom had no injuries, while one suffered shin splints for nearly a week, and the other aggravated an old chipped bone in his foot.
The kicker for me was when we finished in Santiago while eating a nice meal, my oldest son commented, "You know, mom, I noticed you could drive a car on the whole Camino."😳

Well, we are finishing our packing and heading to the airport at 4am tomorrow. Arriving in Santiago at lunch. Car hire for a day to take us to Ponferrada. 10 days to make it back to Santiago. Thanks for the advice etc all.
You need not doubt that there are many willing you and your boys to follow in your dad's footsteps. Ultreia.

Buen camino you three! Your dad would be thrilled to see that photo. Gives me goosebumps. Looking forward to the photo on the other side!

The distressed Panama hat may be a bit of a challenge now. But any China Shop in Ponferrada will have a pristine straw hat. It'll protect your head and by the time you get to Santiago it'll be used enough to qualify as distressed.

(I missed this thread when you opened it, and a so pleased to encounter it just now.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
By the way, if this post today is any indication, it's still quite possible to walk spontaneously, in the old way. You may need to stay outside of the usual stage-ending pueblos, is all:
I am in Salceda tonight. It is in the last 100 km on the Frances, at what is commonly considered one of the busiest times of year for this busiest stretch of the busiest route. Admittedly, it is not a standard stage location. It is a small albergue of 8 beds. It is not full.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What gorgeous pics. That stage - especially the bit after Cacabelos - has some very nice stretches, and it looks like you three were drinking it in.
a beautiful way to close the circle.
And perhaps to continue something he started. It's very sweet for all of us out here who weren't close to Sagalouts as you were, but knew and appreciated him here or on the road. I imagine it must be quite special for the three of you.

(Don't know how far you plan to go today, but the La Faba albergue is a gem, run by Germans. It's adjacent to an old church, on the right just as you climb into the pueblo. The masses will be headed to O Cebreiro, so it's very nice, very quiet.

Editing to add some very good advice from your Dad:
imo too many walks are spolt by the constant worry of where to sleep,people start booking into Aubergues at 12 if poss all laid on there beds by 2 having washed everything in sight wrote about how little they have seen or done in their journals,they miss so much.
just walk in a relaxed manner eat a menu del dia far better than the pilgrim menu and stroll into town if there is room at your preferred stop great if not check the other 4 or 5 options available or walk another 5k to the next town enjoying the day,try and get out of sink with the masses all going for the same large town,by 4pm the camino is empty apart for the few who love to walk in the cool of the late afternoon and early evening staying clear of the galloping masses,walking this way enables you to even walk longer days if you wish all in a relaxed manner

Last edited:
Today we set off at 5:30 and headed up to Dragante. 7km uphill and found a viewing spot with infinity swings to see in the sunrise. Mastercard can't buy that view! Got a bit lost but after 30km we are settled in a French Bar in La Faba. Find out in a bit if we sleep here.

Attachments

• 20230718_053757.jpg
    20230718_053757.jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230718_065210.jpg
    20230718_065210.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 20230718_065504.jpg
    20230718_065504.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20230718_071427.jpg
    20230718_071427.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230718_074509.jpg
    20230718_074509.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 20230718_150831.jpg
    20230718_150831.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43

€83,-
Today we set off at 5:30 and headed up to Dragante. 7km uphill and found a viewing spot with infinity swings to see in the sunrise. Mastercard can't buy that view! Got a bit lost but after 30km we are settled in a French Bar in La Faba. Find out in a bit if we sleep here.
just look at the boys' delight! not to mention your own...

Day 3 began at just after 6am. Tito from the albergue left out some cake and juice to getvus going. 10k mostly uphill before breakfast with another amazing sight. The photos will never do it justice but the islands in the clouds made up for the burning calfs and sore shoulders!!! Finished the day in Triacastela. Getting busy on the route so going to aim for somewhere between Sarria and Portomarin. Day after we should hit the Hamlet where dad died and try to see the memorial.

Attachments

• 20230719_115321.jpg
    20230719_115321.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230719_114832.jpg
    20230719_114832.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20230719-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20230719-WA0009.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230719_073215.jpg
    20230719_073215.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20230719_072921.jpg
    20230719_072921.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230719_065841.jpg
    20230719_065841.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For those who never knew Sagalout:
It's a pretty long read but also gives some insights into what one has to deal with in the unlikely event a love one passes away on the Camino.

Buen Camino Sagalouts son and your sons. God bless!

Last edited:
This thread is an unmitigated delight!

Got a bit lost
I'd heard this route described as a bit extreme, and full of brambles, a bit off-putting.

So, lost...because? No waymarks, many paths, overgrown sections?
How'd you find it?

Very glad you ended up in La Faba...such a gem of a place.
Buen camino, peregrinos!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This thread is an unmitigated delight!

I'd heard this route described as a bit extreme, and full of brambles, a bit off-putting.

So, lost...because? No waymarks, many paths, overgrown sections?
How'd you find it?

Very glad you ended up in La Faba...such a gem of a place.
Buen camino, peregrinos!
The path wasn't marked. The views were worth it though! The lack of water would have been an issue so we headed back to the main path. We had read a book that suggested Dragante by Sandy Brown. We would have another go but would need a map or Google maps to be safe. Also need to plan more water. 2 farmers stopped to talk to us as we looked out of place!

The path wasn't marked. The views were worth it though! The lack of water would have been an issue so we headed back to the main path. We had read a book that suggested Dragante by Sandy Brown. We would have another go but would need a map or Google maps to be safe. Also need to plan more water. 2 farmers stopped to talk to us as we looked out of place!
I was very British and said we were fine.

I have always been intrigued by the Dragante route shown on my Brierley book, but both times I walked the Camino Frances, it was always too intimidating to consider for this old-ish gal.

Very glad you ended up in La Faba...such a gem of a place
I thought the climb up to La Faba was one of the more difficult days and was glad for some shade and a log to rest on for a minute before continuing on the switchbacks. The albergue next to the church was newly renovated in 2015 with great bathrooms/shower area downstairs. The owners of the local tienda were very friendly, too. I don't always remember details, but this place was special and like I was just there yesterday.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Our day today was marked by the wildlife. Misty, cloudy start. 2 weasels or stoats (Black and otter like) were our first delight. Later we were blessed with Eagles and Storky bird things. Goats, several cats and a puppy all played there part today. Our plan was a private room tonight but one of the first Albergues out of Saria had a big pool and the boys didn't care anymore about private! Beautiful setting, Casa Barbadello. I have included some teenage boys entertaining themselves without technology!

Attachments

• 20230720_070820.jpg
    20230720_070820.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230720_103223.jpg
    20230720_103223.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230720_103351.jpg
    20230720_103351.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230720_122013.jpg
    20230720_122013.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230720_120113.jpg
    20230720_120113.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230720_130001.jpg
    20230720_130001.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230720_125921.jpg
    20230720_125921.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230720_122238.jpg
    20230720_122238.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230720_131057.jpg
    20230720_131057.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Our day today was marked by the wildlife. Misty, cloudy start. 2 weasels or stoats (Black and otter like) were our first delight. Later we were blessed with Eagles and Storky bird things. Goats, several cats and a puppy all played there part today. Our plan was a private room tonight but one of the first Albergues out of Saria had a big pool and the boys didn't care anymore about private! Beautiful setting, Casa Barbadello. I have included some teenage boys entertaining themselves without technology!
The videos didn't seem to attach.

Hi All,

Sagalouts son.
I walked with my 15 year old daughter last year. Great experience. My biggest mistake was not paying attention to her feet enough first day or two. She was nursing blisters after that.

One decision we made helped lower stress. We just went slower. Didn’t force myself to match up to what some guidebook or another said we were supposed to go. She got to set the pace and pick out places to explore or stay.

Was such an amazing experience. Wish you the best.

Brian

Hi All,

Sagalouts son.
Just finished yes walking with my daughters age 11 and 14 from Porto to Santiago. My tips are stay on the coast its cooler.and u can stop for a sea swim. Let the get involved by picking accommodation. 4 ice cream stops.a day mandatory. Bring snacks. We met no1 their age it was only yes when we finished at the cathedral did we meet a father and daughter the daughter is 14. Also be prepared to lose some things along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Our first difficult day. Eldest son had a big blister where his toes meet his feet and my left knee decided to show its age. We hobbled to Portomarin across that great bridge and up those stairs. Never have stairs looked so imposing!! We took a private room, visited the pharmacy all before 11am. We rested for the day and were greeted by so many friends we had met along the way. It made the day seeing them all again and maybe speed isn't everything about our journey. Few photos from the day. 4 days to try to get to Santiago to see those fireworks!

Attachments

• 20230721_113607.jpg
    20230721_113607.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230721_095745.jpg
    20230721_095745.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230721_094245.jpg
    20230721_094245.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230721_090605.jpg
    20230721_090605.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230721_081527.jpg
    20230721_081527.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230721_064706.jpg
    20230721_064706.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230721_084631.jpg
    20230721_084631.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230721_113712.jpg
    20230721_113712.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230721_121447.jpg
    20230721_121447.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230721_205324.jpg
    20230721_205324.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Following the slower day, we have really pushed on. 25km yesterday and 33km today. On the Saturday we went past the Albergue where my dad died but decided not to make too much of a big deal with the owners. It has been a good number of years and it would have been unfair to bring up what must have been a traumatic event for them. The memorial at the edge of the hamletbis gone but again, I dont think we should be maintaining a memorial fornever. It lasted a few years and those that wanted to have visited.
Both days we walked until we found an Albergue. The boys seem to prefer being in the more rural locations. Tomorrow we are going to our first booked Albergue and the boys have chosen it for its pool. A variety of photos from the last few days.
We are now 30k from Santiago and we'll on track for the festival!!

Attachments

• 20230722_062838.jpg
    20230722_062838.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230722_064144.jpg
    20230722_064144.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230722_070320.jpg
    20230722_070320.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230722_093428.jpg
    20230722_093428.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230722_092651.jpg
    20230722_092651.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230722_113639.jpg
    20230722_113639.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230723_061822.jpg
    20230723_061822.jpg
    922.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230723_075626.jpg
    20230723_075626.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230723_093202.jpg
    20230723_093202.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230723_114753.jpg
    20230723_114753.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is a wonderful tribute to your father from his son and grandsons. I did Porto to Santiago with my 16 year old daughter, 14 year old son and his friend, last year by the coast. They had great fun chatting all the way and loved the back to basics way of living. So much so, that my older 19 year old son, is coming with me and the now 15 year old to walk from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia in August. We will take it slow to hang around the beaches in Cee and Finisterre and they may even do a bit of surfing too.

We have made it. I don't know about anyone else but all my aches were worse for the final few Kilometres. It was like my body knew.
A little later we were able to walk a few kms to the McDonald's as their treat! We are then going back for the St James festivities.
Buen Camino all!

Attachments

• 20230724_075251.jpg
    20230724_075251.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230724_080549.jpg
    20230724_080549.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230724_095644.jpg
    20230724_095644.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230725_062810.jpg
    20230725_062810.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230725_084737.jpg
    20230725_084737.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230725_103543.jpg
    20230725_103543.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230725_103759.jpg
    20230725_103759.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230725_143650.jpg
    20230725_143650.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230725_194818.jpg
    20230725_194818.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 23
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have made it. I don't know about anyone else but all my aches were worse for the final few Kilometres. It was like my body knew.
A little later we were able to walk a few kms to the McDonald's as their treat! We are then going back for the St James festivities.
Buen Camino all!
They want to do a coastal walk next year....any advice?

Attachments

• 20230725_194807.jpg
    20230725_194807.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230724_155708.jpg
    20230724_155708.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 45
Uh oh, looks like you are following in your dad’s footsteps — Someone on the forum always says that nobody walks two caminos. You either walk one and are done, or you start on your lifelong pursuit of camino after camino! Nothing like starting to think about your next camino while posting a picture of the end of your current camino! So many of us relate to that.

Looks like your camino was everything you hoped. So happy to see you all in the square!

Coastal from Porto sounds like a good choice for you. The Norte goes along the coast, but much of it is a km or two along a road and away from the water itself.

Buen Camino all!
Blue skies over Santiago! You are the chosen ones. Thank you for posting all the wonderful photos & updates on your Camino, it has been a joy to follow your journey & to see such happy faces even though the journey was originally motivated by a sadness. But what an inheritance your father has gifted you and your sons with his enthusiasm for walking the Way!

Buen Camino all!

My vicarious walk with the guys was nice.

Thanks for sharing your way.

Congratulations.

Buen camino.

Senda Littoral route from Porto. It's around 270km. To make it shorter, if you can't get the time needed, I recommend flying into Porto, then getting a Taxi to Labruge and starting from there. There are campsites in Labruge and enroute that have pools and are beside the Ocean which I found great for my teenagers and they do Pilgrims rates (€15 pp, but not in August) to stay in a chalet. These can be a nice change from the Albergues. The walk from Labruge to Vigo is lovely by the coast. The beaches between Baiona and Vigo are simply stunning.

Missed the post where you actually started walking 😕 but just caught up with your walk.
Thank you for your posts and the great photos. It’s nice to see your older son being ‘the big brother’ … they seem to get on well together and always seemed cheerful in your photos - not bad, considering the distances you were all walking!
Your dad would have been proud of you all!
Buen Camino for your next adventure!

Yes, keep checking in on the replies here from people who know!
Your camino is one that I think many members have followed, and you can be so proud of your boys!
That hat! Make sure it is not lost! We will want to see it on the older son on the next camino...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I didn't join until well after your dad passed, but thanks to the posted link to his brother's writings, I saw this gem about Camino walkers:

"The Spanish people think of them as a moveable mental asylum. It draws all sorts. Some are just young people having an adventure, another third maybe are true religious pilgrims. The remainders are those who walk to think and get peace. Some whacky, some exceptional people. Its not always easy to tell one from the other."

Welcome to la familia. ;-)

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.