• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Without Rain Gear

witsendwv

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
My husband and I are walking the Camino Ingles from 24 Sept to 30 Sept. I am watching the weather and can't decide whether or not to take full rain outfits. According to Accuweather the forecast changes daily, but still looks like nice weather for that week. My hesitation is that we are staying in Spain for another four weeks after walking and we will not need rain wear then. What ever we do after the camino an umbrella will suffice. Not carrying a rain jacket and pants will certainly decrease the weight and volume of things in our packs. I do not mind getting wet while I walk especially if it is warm. We walked the Coastal Portuguese in Nov/Dec a few years ago, and while it was not cold it was so rainy that we were wet both inside and outside our rain gear.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@witsendwv, Perhaps instead of 'full rain gear' you might consider just a poncho & the umbrella you're already taking...that's all I ever carry.
A poncho is lightweight, squashable & offers coverage for you & your pack.

You're obviously concerned about not taking anything or you wouldn't be asking...so maybe a poncho is the solution; insurance, options & peace of mind.
Happy trails!
👣 🌏

@witsendwv, Perhaps instead of 'full rain gear' you might consider just a poncho & the umbrella you're already taking...that's all I ever carry.
A poncho is lightweight, squashable & offers coverage for you & your pack.

You're obviously concerned about not taking anything or you wouldn't be asking...so maybe a poncho is the solution; insurance, options & peace of mind.
Happy trails!
👣 🌏
It does rain a lot in Galicia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Having walked the Ingles, and been rained upon for a good number of hours, I suggest at the least that you get a really good cover for your rucksack. I have a poncho that weighs little and I carry it no matter what. I zip off the legs of my trousers in the rain. My legs are waterproof. Enjoy the Ingles Camino, it is well worth doing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband and I are walking the Camino Ingles from 24 Sept to 30 Sept. I am watching the weather and can't decide whether or not to take full rain outfits. According to Accuweather the forecast changes daily, but still looks like nice weather for that week. My hesitation is that we are staying in Spain for another four weeks after walking and we will not need rain wear then. What ever we do after the camino an umbrella will suffice. Not carrying a rain jacket and pants will certainly decrease the weight and volume of things in our packs. I do not mind getting wet while I walk especially if it is warm. We walked the Coastal Portuguese in Nov/Dec a few years ago, and while it was not cold it was so rainy that we were wet both inside and outside our rain gear.
Not a problem. You can always buy something there if you need rain gear. Or make it a rest day. Worse case you'll get wet, I doubt you'll melt. Make sure to bring ziplock bags for your credential, passport, and important papers.

On the Frances September through March I’ve carried and used full waterproofs; although I tend to walk in shorts 28 days is a long enough time to get miserable.

On the Ingles in October I took a light ‘paclite’ jacket and a pack cover which was sufficient.

As J says, above, it does rain quite frequently in Galicia.

Make the decision nearer the time?

"Did it rain six days ago or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is Galicia, one of the wettest most rain prone parts of Europe and could soak you straight to the bone, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya?"

Apologies to Dirty Harry!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi pilgrims The forecast is very changeable at the moment but very rarely will you get two continuous days of rain and ad you’re only walking the week it’s really not worth the additional baggage and weight. Go with your gut feeling and just enjoy your walk. Keith from Norfolk Buen Camino

Hi pilgrims The forecast is very changeable at the moment but very rarely will you get two continuous days of rain and ad you’re only walking the week it’s really not worth the additional baggage and weight. Go with your gut feeling and just enjoy your walk. Keith from Norfolk Buen Camino
If they only have a limited number of days to walk it seems that they won't be able to take an extra day to wait out the rain.

I don't know what "full rain gear" is for the OP, but I would take something for the rain that would enable me to keep walking and stay on schedule.

Last edited:
At a minimum - make sure your pack has a cover. You don't want all of your gear to be wet. That said - what will the temps be at that time? I know in the summer I can take or leave the personal rain gear and allow myself to get wet and dry as I walk after the rain stops. You can do that as long as you have dry gear to change into (thus reinforcing the need for a good pack cover). Personally I bring a pack cover and a lightweight rain jacket. My rain jacket I brought this past summer was very lightweight and great for light rain - but in heavy rain that lasted a while I still got soaked. Last summer I brought a heavier rain jacket and it kept me dry in all rain - but it was also too hot to wear too long in rain (even with pit zips). I don't bother with rain pants - just wear shorts or quick dry pants. Again - they dry quickly once the rain stops. But if it is going to be cold - then more rain gear is necessary.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I see that the Camino Ingles takes an average of 7 to 8 days. In September, there are rainy days, usually. It is your Camino, doing what you want to do, carrying what you want to carry, and need to carry.

For me, rain gear, in what ever form that may be, is always a need over a want. I always have an umbrella in my vehicle, just in case. If not, be prepared to become wet. I see no further alternatives.

Either way, do enjoy your Camino!

In warm weather, carrying an umbrella is quite pleasant.
Are umbrellas allowed in "Carry-on" packs within the aircraft cabin? I have heard that they might be on a list of items that could be used as a weapon. Has anyone here had one confiscated by the airport security folks?

I see that the Camino Ingles takes an average of 7 to 8 days
More like five days. It's just over 100 km from Ferrol.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are umbrellas allowed in "Carry-on" packs within the aircraft cabin? I have heard that they might be on a list of items that could be used as a weapon. Has anyone here had one confiscated by the airport security folks?
Ask your airline. But there are umbrellas and there are umbrellas! My small collapsible one has travelled with me often.

We had the same dilemma in May on the coastal as we were remaining in Europe an extra 3 weeks. I took a large plastic bag and when it started pouring in vigo, poked head and arm holes and remained drier than some with ‘waterproof ‘ gear!

You can buy very nice umbrellas in Spain. On a four day jaunt to Valencia one spring the first thing I did after checking in to my hotel was buy an umbrella in El Corte Inglés.
I needed it, it rained solidly for the whole trip.
On leaving I presented it to the receptionist at the hotel - a shame, I had grown fond of it but didn't want to risk having it confiscated.
I'd checked the weather week before I left and it had been unbroken sunshine and 23 degree plus temperatures.
Spain, eh?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I took only an emergency poncho this past March from Burgos to Rabanal. It was ripped in multiple places walking from Castrojeriz to Leon due to the consistent rain and intense wind. But it was large, and I managed to keep it wrapped around most of me and never felt hopelessly wet. That’s now my plan, it’s adequate but not excessive and virtually weightless, my two criteria. Good luck whatever rain gear you chose.

I took a rain cover for my pack and a rain jacket. It has worked for 2 Caminos on the CF in the spring - that first one was a VERY wet Camino.

I don’t like ponchos because I find them to be difficult to put on, without help, in sudden wet weather. I have had to help several pilgrims (gladly) put on their ponchos in the windy rain.

I keep my rain jacket in the top flap of my backpack or wrapped around my waist. When it suddenly starts to rain, I take care of my backpack first, then put on my jacket.

No rain pants, no waterproof boots.

No problems.

Last edited:
More like five days. It's just over 100 km from Ferrol.
We are walking short stages and will take 7 days. We are not in a hurry!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Having walked the Ingles, and been rained upon for a good number of hours, I suggest at the least that you get a really good cover for your rucksack. I have a poncho that weighs little and I carry it no matter what. I zip off the legs of my trousers in the rain. My legs are waterproof. Enjoy the Ingles Camino, it is well worth doing.
Thankfully our Ospreys have built in pack covers, and a large black trash bag just in case!

At minimum take an emergency poncho. It wouldn't suffice for a full day of walking, but would (hopefully) give you enough protection to get to shelter.

View attachment 131367
Excellent suggestion. I just found in our stash two IKEA ponchos that will do the job. They should keep our upper halves dry until we can find shelter, and our packs have attached rain covers. I think this will be enough for the time we are walking. (There are taxis back and forth if necessary). They are also bright red so we can't lose each other in a case of a downpour. This will free up a lot of space in our packs for the rest of the trip. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If they only have a limited number of days to walk it seems that they won't be able to take an extra day to wait out the rain.

I don't know what "full rain gear" is for the OP, but I would take something for the rain that would enable me to keep walking and stay on schedule.
Thankfully no schedule as we are walking at the beginning our a trip so we can be flexible. We do have some reservations in other parts of Spain that can't be changed, but we have a lot of days built in so we can just wander. Full rain gear for me here at home is a rain jacket, rain pants and gaiters. I'm not sure we have had a day without rain to walk here this summer. I am hoping for less rain while we are in Spain. :)
🌂🥾

Excellent suggestion. I just found in our stash two IKEA ponchos that will do the job. They should keep our upper halves dry until we can find shelter, and our packs have attached rain covers. I think this will be enough for the time we are walking. (There are taxis back and forth if necessary). They are also bright red so we can't lose each other in a case of a downpour. This will free up a lot of space in our packs for the rest of the trip. Thanks for the great suggestion!
I’d suggest testing your IKEA ponchos before you go. Mine was an utter failure and soaked thru in minutes. Luckily I had a disposable plastic poncho as well….

I’d suggest testing your IKEA ponchos before you go. Mine was an utter failure and soaked thru in minutes. Luckily I had a disposable plastic poncho as well….
We have used them before. They'll work well enough in anything less than downpours, and if that is the case we'll just stop, have a coffee and wait for a taxi. 🙂
🌂

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thankfully our Ospreys have built in pack covers, and a large black trash bag just in case!
I also have an Osprey with a provided rain cover, but for some reason it is only partially-effective even though it is properly fitted. I suspect the water enters the pack in the gap between it and my back. I am fortunate that I have yet to walk in persistent heavy rain, but I might forgo the pack cover for a lightweight poncho in future.

We have used them before. They'll work well enough in anything less than downpours, and if that is the case we'll just stop, have a coffee and wait for a taxi. 🙂
🌂
I’ve used my IKEA poncho for a few years, last time out it seemed to have lost its waterproofing. I gave it a treatment with some waterproof spray, and it’s good to go. In the pouch it doubles as a pillow on the plane, or as a pad if sitting on the ground.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back