• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Without Sleeping bag?

leegoeun093

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, San salvador
Hi! :) I've just finished my first Camino which is Camino de Frances.

Day after tomorrow I'll start to walk Camino de San salvador. From what I hear for 2nd and 3rd day you can't find a bar or a market so you must carry foods in your bag.

Since I think it will be a bit challenging for me because of the weight, so I'm thinking about walking without sleeping bag.

What do you think? Will it be okay to sleep only with blankets (of the albergues) in this season?

Thanks a lot, buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suggest checking both www.gronze.com for facilities and recent posts from members who have walked the Salvador. I do not recall being unable to find a meal at any of the overnight stops. I do recall it being cold at night and grateful for my sleeping bag. I sleep better hungry than cold but avoided both.

You will be required to have something -- sleeping bag, sleeping sack, or linens. They won't let you just plop onto a bed! ;)
Thanks a lot!
You will be required to have something -- sleeping bag, sleeping sack, or linens. They won't let you just plop onto a bed! ;)
Oh, so far all the albergues that I've stayed didn't give me a comment on that. Seems it depends on Caminos& albergues! Thanks

I suggest checking both www.gronze.com for facilities and recent posts from members who have walked the Salvador. I do not recall being unable to find a meal at any of the overnight stops. I do recall it being cold at night and grateful for my sleeping bag. I sleep better hungry than cold but avoided both.
Yees I've checked the posts from 2017 and they said it is needed! Well I hope it's changed nowBut thanks for the comment I'd bring my sleeping bag.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We used a silk sleep sack (tiny, light) and then the blankets at the albergues. It was fine.
Ah, thanks a lot! I think that's the best one for the mid june. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get one...Gracias!

If you stay at Carbajal which is 18km from Leon, you need to bring food as there is nowhere to eat in the village, I believe. There's a bar in La Seca (2-3km further) and Cascantes, then shops in La Robla and La Pola de Gordon. Nothing at Buiza and then its over the mountain and nothing, to Poladura de la Tercia. There, you can get an evenign meal if you ring up the nearby Posada the day before. Nothing the next day until Puerto de Pajares where there is a bar and a restaurant. And nothing on the next stage until Campomanes. So yes, you need to be prepared in advance. Have you seen Ender's guide? It gives you all the info you need.
https://magwood.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/enders-guide-in-english-2016.pdf
It's a great walk, but very different to the Frances with its bar every few kilometers.

If you stay at Carbajal which is 18km from Leon, you need to bring food as there is nowhere to eat in the village, I believe. There's a bar in La Seca (2-3km further) and Cascantes, then shops in La Robla and La Pola de Gordon. Nothing at Buiza and then its over the mountain and nothing, to Poladura de la Tercia. There, you can get an evenign meal if you ring up the nearby Posada the day before. Nothing the next day until Puerto de Pajares where there is a bar and a restaurant. And nothing on the next stage until Campomanes. So yes, you need to be prepared in advance. Have you seen Ender's guide? It gives you all the info you need.
https://magwood.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/enders-guide-in-english-2016.pdf
It's a great walk, but very different to the Frances with its bar every few kilometers.
Yees Thanks a lot I did it, I'm done now. Yes it was hard because it is difficult to find a restaurant or even a small bar on Camino. And for the future pilgrims, as Felice wrote I had to carry food for the 2 days. But I think it will be better if you just order food from the bars and pack it for the next breakfast and lunch instead of bringing everything from La robla. Well, if you are strong enough and heavy bags doesn't bother you then it's fine.
The path has a breath taking view, it was one of the most beautiful place among where I've ever been.
*Physically not very challenging. Except the hot weather.
* I think I got a bed bug bites. Be aware of it

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.