• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking wounded

Americanperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2012
May 2016
When I walked in 2012 I didn't see nearly as many injuries as I have this time. Mostly blisters that folks fail to prevent or treat correctly. Imo, watch some youtube on PROPERLY treating hot spots before they become blisters and what to do once they are blisters. Also, in 2012 the luggage hauling services were not nearly as plentiful. IMO, if you have blisters take a rest day and/or use a service for a couple of days. Slow down!!!! And take in the Camino...it is not a race and you may pass this way but once.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I walked in 2012 I didn't see nearly as many injuries as I have this time. Mostly blisters that folks fail to prevent or treat correctly. Imo, watch some youtube on PROPERLY treating hot spots before they become blisters and what to do once they are blisters. Also, in 2012 the luggage hauling services were not nearly as plentiful. IMO, if you have blisters take a rest day and/or use a service for a couple of days. Slow down!!!! And take in the Camino...it is not a race and you may pass this way but once.
Great advice - I walked without any blisters or other problems from St Jean to Burgos but then developed excruciating left foot pain on day 15 after about 340km. After resting and icing etc it's not getting any better so I am abandoning my Camino and heading back to Australia.
If I could start over again I would go slower - but I would book accommodation ahead as getting in late can be very problematic due to many pilgrims en route!
I hope to return some day to complete my pilgrimage but the health of my foot is too important to me to risk further damage. (I'm a very keen hiker/camper).
So to all current and future pilgrims - listen to your body - prevention is much better than cure in this scenario.
Buen Camino!

Great advice - I walked without any blisters or other problems from St Jean to Burgos but then developed excruciating left foot pain on day 15 after about 340km. After resting and icing etc it's not getting any better so I am abandoning my Camino and heading back to Australia.
If I could start over again I would go slower - but I would book accommodation ahead as getting in late can be very problematic due to many pilgrims en route!
I hope to return some day to complete my pilgrimage but the health of my foot is too important to me to risk further damage. (I'm a very keen hiker/camper).
So to all current and future pilgrims - listen to your body - prevention is much better than cure in this scenario.
Buen Camino!

Ai Gumnut sorry to hear. But yes a sensible decision! Rest well and Buen Camino home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino!

Very sensible, Gumnut (love your Leunig profile pic!). A difficult decision but oh so sensible.

My 'aching' foot following an unusual incident enroute to Orisson on Day 1 of 44 turned out to be a navicular fracture. I am also a keen hiker and camper and diagnosis, treatment and drawn out recovery kept me away from my beloved trails for many months.

Let us all know how you fare with your foot once you're home.

Very sensible, Gumnut (love your Leunig profile pic!). A difficult decision but oh so sensible.

My 'aching' foot following an unusual incident enroute to Orisson on Day 1 of 44 turned out to be a navicular fracture. I am also a keen hiker and camper and diagnosis, treatment and drawn out recovery kept me away from my beloved trails for many months.

Let us all know how you fare with your foot once you're home.
Yes I stole the Leunig cartoon from a fellow hiker!!
The pain in my foot is not really typical of plantar fasciitis and I suspect I may have s stress fracture!!
I've broken a metatarsal before - two weeks before a trip to India (hobbled through it and it was amazing - pity there're no rickshaws on the Camino! :)
Will get proper follow up/treatment when I get back to Perth.
Hope you're back out there hiking - there's nothing quite like camping in the bush :)

The pain in my foot is not really typical of plantar fasciitis and I suspect I may have s stress fracture!!
I've broken a metatarsal before - two weeks before a trip to India (hobbled through it and it was amazing - pity there're no rickshaws on the Camino! :)
Hope you're back out there hiking - there's nothing quite like camping in the bush :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that its not a stress fracture but if it is, feel free to PM me as I'd be happy to share any information (and experience) that might speed up your recovery.

I'm back out hiking now but it's been a longer Camino than the original. The whole sad story is here. An unusual injury in that I was pushing a companion up the Pyrenees when she fell back on me so that the navicular bone was stressed from both angles and under load. AFL footballers were my role models and great mates during recovery as they suffer from this uncommon injury.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen Camino!
So sorry to hear, I leave in September and like on previous Camino's I take it easy and if required rest even if it means four or five days as its a long way from Australia. I hope you do get the chance to walk it again.

I will be living in Perth at the end of this year so i may pick yer brain on walking in that area :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Feel free - there are some great walks - and of course the Cape-to-Cape Track and the Bibbulmun.

The cape to cape is on my wish list.just got back from Perth where i was working for 5 months with no time to walk,but def next time,cheers.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that its not a stress fracture but if it is, feel free to PM me as I'd be happy to share any information (and experience) that might speed up your recovery.

I'm back out hiking now but it's been a longer Camino than the original. The whole sad story is here. An unusual injury in that I was pushing a companion up the Pyrenees when she fell back on me so that the navicular bone was stressed from both angles and under load. AFL footballers were my role models and great mates during recovery as they suffer from this uncommon injury.
That is indeed a really sad story :(
How on earth did you actually finish the whole Camino!!!
I had to grimace at the top bunk reference. I got a top bunk in Hontanos and physically couldn't even manage the first rung due to intense pain!! Luckily the hospitaleros had a bottom bunk in the church annexe otherwise I would have had to pull my mattress onto the floor and wouldn't have been popular!
Glad to hear you're out and about again.
Julie :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is indeed a really sad story :(
How on earth did you actually finish the whole Camino!!!
I had to grimace at the top bunk reference. I got a top bunk in Hontanos and physically couldn't even manage the first rung due to intense pain!! Luckily the hospitaleros had a bottom bunk in the church annexe otherwise I would have had to pull my mattress onto the floor and wouldn't have been popular!
Glad to hear you're out and about again.
Julie :)

Interesting you mentioning about not managing the first rung of the ladder. That was the only time that I ever felt intense pain and just put it down to the effort of getting our companion and her backpack to Orisson on that first day. Let's hope that your injury is minimal and heals up well and quickly. Lots of bones in a foot. If you have access to a physio and/or a sports doctor that would be a good place to start - would have saved me some weeks and a few tests to get to the correct diagnosis.

How did I manage the entire Camino? ...I've been asked that by everyone and the pain really wasn't so bad - just niggly, the occasional sharp burst and hours truly pain free..

oh and Leunig has a wonderful take on that too:

Go to the end of the path until you get to the gate.
Go through the gate and head straight out towards the horizon.
Keep going towards the horizon.
Sit down and have a rest every now and again,
But keep on going, just keep on with it.
Keep on going as far as you can.
That’s how you get there.

Hi Irish Bernie...when you are next in Perth, you might like to come to one of our Camino Get Togethers up in King's Park. We hold them on the last Sunday of each month, starting around 9am for brekkie or coffee, chat etc. Or other than that, come for a walk around some of the walking trails...if you are on Facebook, send me a friend request and I will hook you up with our Australian Pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago group. fb name Susan Morris

C2C is fantastic - I was lucky enough to have the time to do it 4 times over the last year (twice camping). The scenery is stunning :)

I've noticed that a few people have mentioned camping, is there many sites or is it just where ever you can put ur head down for a night...wasn't gonna take a tent but I'm now considering it....Joef

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've noticed that a few people have mentioned camping, is there many sites or is it just where ever you can put ur head down for a night...wasn't gonna take a tent but I'm now considering it....Joef

There are very few official camp sites on the Camino Frances and wild camping isn't allowed in Spain. Instead of taking a tent, you might be better off to chose another Camino and not the Camino Frances. There are plenty of beautiful pilgrimage routes in Spain that end up in Santiago, you are not restricted to the Camino Frances! Buen Camino, SY

Hi Joe
There are 3 wilderness campsites (composting toilet, water tank and picnic table) and a number of commercial and other campgrounds. I've also camped in other spots which you are allowed to do if hiking and as long as you're not near an access road.
I'd get hold of a copy of the Cape to Cape Track book by Jane Scott if you can - has all the info you might need.
Also there are a couple of FB groups available (so we don't clog the Camino site with other stuff ;)
Happy hiking
Julie B aka gumnut

thank you both.
There are very few official camp sites on the Camino Frances and wild camping isn't allowed in Spain. Instead of taking a tent, you might be better off to chose another Camino and not the Camino Frances. There are plenty of beautiful pilgrimage routes in Spain that end up in Santiago, you are not restricted to the Camino Frances! Buen Camino, SY

thank you both

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

cheers thank you

Sorry, I realize now that the thread went off on a tangent and your post wasn't referring to the Camino - my bad for reading too superficially! Buen Camino, SY

Interesting you mentioning about not managing the first rung of the ladder. That was the only time that I ever felt intense pain and just put it down to the effort of getting our companion and her backpack to Orisson on that first day. Let's hope that your injury is minimal and heals up well and quickly. Lots of bones in a foot. If you have access to a physio and/or a sports doctor that would be a good place to start - would have saved me some weeks and a few tests to get to the correct diagnosis.

How did I manage the entire Camino? ...I've been asked that by everyone and the pain really wasn't so bad - just niggly, the occasional sharp burst and hours truly pain free..

oh and Leunig has a wonderful take on that too:

Go to the end of the path until you get to the gate.
Go through the gate and head straight out towards the horizon.
Keep going towards the horizon.
Sit down and have a rest every now and again,
But keep on going, just keep on with it.
Keep on going as far as you can.
That’s how you get there.
Hello again Wokabout
I am now back in Perth and have seen a sports Physio who has ruled out plantar fasciitis and has sent me for an X-ray to check for a stress fracture. Still hobbling but in good spirits considering everything :)
Hope all well with you and your hiking is going well.
Gumnut aka Julie
PS: love the Leunig quote :)

€46,-
Hello again Wokabout
I am now back in Perth and have seen a sports Physio who has ruled out plantar fasciitis and has sent me for an X-ray to check for a stress fracture. Still hobbling but in good spirits considering everything :)
Hope all well with you and your hiking is going well.
Gumnut aka Julie
PS: love the Leunig quote :)
Hi Julie
Glad to know that you're safely home and that you've seen a sports physio. X-rays are usually the starting point in a diagnosis but may not show a stress fracture. Mine certainly didn't. Sounds like you're in good capable hands. Do update us on your progress as there's a wealth of knowledge and experience on travelling a Healing Camino here on this forum. Plus they're all focused on doing whatever it takes to get back out there.

I found that treating my recovery as a Camino really helped. Put me in the right head space.

I'm continuing to increase hiking distance, frequency and intensity and holding up well. Off to an adventure tours presentation on Tuesday for some inspiration. Thinking about a short perhaps supported walk later this year to see how I cope before making any long distance plans.

Sending healing thoughts your Way. Hang on in there.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.