• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wallowing in Self Pity

Eibhlís

Time of past OR future Camino
2000 I walked 300km of the Camino Frances.
2020 I plan to walk the whole 800km.
I should have checked in at the airport in Adelaide by now. Due to fly in an hour to France. Planned to start walking from St Jean Pied de Port on Tuesday which will be my 44th birthday. 20 years planning this. Devastated! 😔

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I should have checked in at the airport in Adelaide by now. Due to fly in an hour to France. Planned to start walking from St Jean Pied de Port on Tuesday which will be my 44th birthday. 20 years planning this. Devastated! 😔
I understand your pain. I had planned my 6th camino for mid April-mid May this year, bringing newbie family members, and of course it came to a screeching halt due to covid. I started a thread in April titled "I'm Plummeting" and was blessed with over a hundred replies offering kindness and encouragement from this pilgrim community and I'm sure you will experience the same.
Luckily for you, youth is still on your side...many more years to keep planning new adventures.

Well if we know anything, we know misery loves company. I would have been leaving in four days to walk the CF for the third time...I can't bring myself to put away all of my gear, shoes pack, etc.... I feel fortunate that I was able to have all of my flyer miles reinstated and refunded the actual cash I had put into the flight tickets. You're young...I know it feels so disappointing, but trust that you'll get there. ( I didn't walk my first until I was 54 and have walked 6 after that ) I wholeheartedly believe that over all of those years and all of the planning and 'perfect times', and rescheduling...The Camino is in charge. All will unfold as it should and the Camino will call you again when the time is right <3 Try to enjoy your birthday and know you'll go...not quite sure when, but you'll go!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well if we know anything, we know misery loves company. I would have been leaving in four days to walk the CF for the third time...I can't bring myself to put away all of my gear, shoes pack, etc.... I feel fortunate that I was able to have all of my flyer miles reinstated and refunded the actual cash I had put into the flight tickets. You're young...I know it feels so disappointing, but trust that you'll get there. ( I didn't walk my first until I was 54 and have walked 6 after that ) I wholeheartedly believe that over all of those years and all of the planning and 'perfect times', and rescheduling...The Camino is in charge. All will unfold as it should and the Camino will call you again when the time is right <3 Try to enjoy your birthday and know you'll go...not quite sure when, but you'll go!
Even more frustratingly, I booked my flights with Virgin Australia who have since gone into voluntary administration so it's highly unlikely I will get a refund.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I feel your pain/self-pity - I would have been arriving in Santiago today after five-plus weeks of walking from SJPdP :confused:

I hear you and feel for you. Hopefully the opportunity will revist and the twenty years you have planned this will eventuate in a Buen Camino for you. One year ago I set out on my second camino from Le Puy en Velay to Cahors and pretty much to the day I was hoping to be back in Cahors to pick up the trail. All in time I guess, and trust that is Camino time. Ultreia! Catherine

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino is waiting for you - it may just take a little longer.

@Eibhlís how sad for you. Each of us who have had to cancel or postpone our pilgrimage will feel this in a different way, but we also all feel it for each other as well.

While our paths might not have crossed - I would have completed my journey and already arrived home - I look at the many people here who I might have met along the way. We will never have the opportunity to meet in the same way by being in the same place at the same time as we might have had this year. That is just a little sad for me.

I console myself that when I do walk, there will be new opportunities, new pilgrims, locals who still run albergues, hostels, bars and restaurants, priests celebrating Mass, and the myriad others who will provide some small or large service that I will meet along the way. That is a wonderful prospect.

I cannot tell whether you will be able to reschedule your plans easily. Many of us cannot, which would be doubly disappointing. But if you can, you should be able to hold out hope. If it isn't the Camino, there will be something else. I hope you find it, whatever it might be.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

It must be particularly frustrating that it's on that very day that the border between SJPP and Roncesvalles is opening ... but between Oz and France is still closed :(:confused:😫

Curses !! o_O

G'day Eibhlis,

We feel for you, as we should also be walking the Camino at the moment. We should have been in Sahagun tonight. We are trying to be positive and hope we can go next year. We are a bit older than you, so hopefully we are still able physically to do it. Unfortunately, we didn't start our long distance walking until we retired, wish we had started a lot younger!

Buen Camino
Anne & Pat

It’s horrible @Eibhlís, just rotten. If it’s any hope to you, my first Camino came after years and years of dreaming and hoping and planning - and the second was a breeze just two years later, that took only ten minutes to decide and to book. Let’s hope that for you it will be equally as simple.
And that you get back some money from your Virgin tickets.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Maybe your camino has already started ? ;)

I hope you'll be out there sometime in the not too distant future....

I am so grateful for all of your kind and compassionate responses. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
My day of wallowing in self pity is coming to an end. It's 23:15 and I'm going to go to bed now. I got through today much more easily than I anticipated; I kept myself busy with tasks and errands.
Tomorrow is a new day and I am not going to feel sorry for myself any longer. I will count my blessings and look forward to the day when I will be flying to France to begin my Camino whenever that may be.
Or as @Robo has suggested, perhaps my Camino has already begun!
Goodnight everyone and thank you again! 🙏

Oh I feel for you. In brief two things: hope and trust! The Camino is very unique, way beyond logistics and you gotta keep that hope that you will experience it and trust that the timing will be perfect. Of course it will.
love and best wishes

€60,-
Optimism is supporting my disappointment. I have had so much more time to read and glean information from this forum, I am continuing to learn Spanish (although some of the phrases will not be needed - my cat is reading a newspaper!) and, although I should be there now, I'm getting more and more excited about going ...... sometime!

I was planning to depart for St. Jean on April 26th to walk the Camino for my third time and to celebrate my 75th birthday. I know how you feel.

This is definitely not meant to be trolling you or attacking you in any manner, shape or form. In our world today that is filled with hyperbolic headlines and hysterical rantings on social media, or dog whistles and hate spewed actions or words of politicians. I believe we really need to tone down the adjectives we use especially when we are talking about something like a postponement to walk the camino. I have been looking forward to walking the VDLP since about a week after I finished my fifth camino in December. I was looking to start in mid October. I am saddened, disappointed and bummed that I can't walk. But devastated? I am totally blessed. I have my health where hundreds of thousands have died and will die and many more will have permanent lung damage due to Covid. There is real devastation throughout the world and it takes so many forms. Racism, war, starvation, desperate refugees in camps. The list goes on. I know you are not putting your disappointment in terms of real desperation. I just believe that when so many misuse and elevate the slightest slights or disappointment by using extreme terms, we cheapen the meaning of these words and people become more desensitized to what is truly devastating around us. As someone else send you are young, you still have time on your side. You are sad and disappointed but you have health and resources to make your dream come true in the near future. Be thankful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is definitely not meant to be trolling you or attacking you in any manner, shape or form. In our world today that is filled with hyperbolic headlines and hysterical rantings on social media, or dog whistles and hate spewed actions or words of politicians. I believe we really need to tone down the adjectives we use especially when we are talking about something like a postponement to walk the camino. I have been looking forward to walking the VDLP since about a week after I finished my fifth camino in December. I was looking to start in mid October. I am saddened, disappointed and bummed that I can't walk. But devastated? I am totally blessed. I have my health where hundreds of thousands have died and will die and many more will have permanent lung damage due to Covid. There is real devastation throughout the world and it takes so many forms. Racism, war, starvation, desperate refugees in camps. The list goes on. I know you are not putting your disappointment in terms of real desperation. I just believe that when so many misuse and elevate the slightest slights or disappointment by using extreme terms, we cheapen the meaning of these words and people become more desensitized to what is truly devastating around us. As someone else send you are young, you still have time on your side. You are sad and disappointed but you have health and resources to make your dream come true in the near future. Be thankful.
On the other hand, I am inclined to say that if that is how Eibhlis feels, that is how Eibhlis feels. If we can't feel "devastated" so long as anyone has it worse than us, then only one out of almost eight billion people will be able to use the word. I don't see the need to measure one person's pain against another. We don't have a scale that is useful for that. I'm willing to take each person's pain as they feel it.

I'm glad that you feel totally blessed and see things that way. I'm sure that Eibhlis has moments feeling the same. This wasn't one of them. This was a moment self-described as "wallowing in self-pity". That's allowed for people, too, in my books. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I feel you! I am meant to be in Santiago today after Portuguese Coastal and off to Oviedo to walk the Primitivo. Here I am stuck in Auckland in the winter, going to work for a 7 am start...it is dark outside, not to speak of my mood!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like many we should have just completed our 2020 Camino and been at home thoroughly jetlagged and boring our friends and relatives with our tales. Sadly not to be and we are just grateful that we have had the opportunity to be part of the Camino community in 2014. Time now for our adventures to be closer to home exploring parts of our own country that we have neglected. One door closes, another opens.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tomorrow is a new day and I am not going to feel sorry for myself any longer. I will count my blessings and look forward to the day when I will be flying to France to begin my Camino whenever that may be.
Or as @Robo has suggested, perhaps my Camino has already begun!
Goodnight everyone and thank you again! 🙏
If it is any comfort,you are not alone. I should be sitting in Santiago tonight with tapas and red wine at Taberna Do Bispo...

Last edited:
I have moved my remarks here to a private conversation. If you are interested, follow the link to the thread provided by @C clearly earlier.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

€60,-
I am so sorry. I know how you feel. I did my first Camino in 2016 and planned one for every year after that and had to cancel them all due to physical problems. It has been so hard. I was really ready this year even with a friend to walk with me. I pray that this Covid thing will be under control so I can go in 2021. Hand in there and Happy Birthday anyway.

I am so sorry. I know how you feel. I did my first Camino in 2016 and planned one for every year after that and had to cancel them all due to physical problems. It has been so hard. I was really ready this year even with a friend to walk with me. I pray that this Covid thing will be under control so I can go in 2021. Hand in there and Happy Birthday anyway.
So sorry to hear about your four unfulfilled caminos! Yes let's hope that 2021 will be a good year to do the camino...for all of us who desire!

We are slowly learning to live with this disease. There is still half a year to go and I am still hoping for an October Camino. Wearing a mask when required, washing hands frequently and being respectful of others.

We are slowly learning to live with this disease. There is still half a year to go and I am still hoping for an October Camino. Wearing a mask when required, washing hands frequently and being respectful of others.
Hoping to be able to meet up soon after our buff masks arrive.😷

I feel you! My sister and I were to start the Camino Madrid and then the Invierno to SDC starting June 1st. When we decided to do this, June 1st felt like an eternity away and now it has been and gone. The whole year has not started well in Australia with the Bushfires and COVID. It feels like six months has just flown past with nothing to show for it.

Sadly we will have to wait another year for our Camino too but we will still hike locally and continue to dream :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I should have been walking out of Porto this morning on the inland route. Luckily the airlines, accommodation and insurance people have just shifted our dates to the same time next year at no cost, so at least we have that to look forward to. The only problem is that a year is a long time to wait when you are so keen to get back on a Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.