• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walsingham shrine has its own beer!

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A story which a friend with links to the Anglican shrine at Walsingham pointed out to me today. The shrine has teamed up with a local brewery to create a beer named Pilgrim's Pale Ale. Ready well in time for the massive invasion of Student Cross during Holy Week whose members have been known to bend an elbow now and again. :cool:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A story which a friend with links to the Anglican shrine at Walsingham pointed out to me today. The shrine has teamed up with a local brewery to create a beer named Pilgrim's Pale Ale. Ready well in time for the massive invasion of Student Cross during Holy Week whose members have been known to bend an elbow now and again. :cool:

And now it all comes to learning to tap the correct beercollar :) . Being a Belgian I have my ideas how the English tap their beer.
No seriously, splendid idea from the Shrine!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everyone for this interesting information. Can I alert you to something tangentially related but probably of interest to some of you - the first English Trappist Beer, called Tynt Meadow? It is a new venture for the Trappist monks at Mount St Bernard in Coalville in Leicestershire.

I was able to catch up with a truly beautiful documentary film on their life last night, called Outside the City. It is an independently produced documentary, and the producer Nick Hamer was there to talk about his film.

If you can possibly get the chance to see it locally I urge you to do so. It was made over the space of a year, and the change from dairying to beer production occurred during that year, and it occupies a small part of the film. The film is a wonderful presentation of a way of life which is far removed from the materialism of the present day, and it is also a profound and hope-filled meditation on death.

Do check the trailer here:
I think the best way to find out about showings is to follow the film on Facebook.

And for information on the English Trappist beer: http://www.mountsaintbernard.org/tynt-meadow-ale

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I really do hope for everyone's sanity that this is not just another tedious "craft" pseudo-IPA ...

When I was young, IPA (India Pale Ale) was just a term to designate Pale Ales brewed outside of England and Ireland, and yet good enough to be imported from abroad into these lands.

They were not "interesting", they were not "craft", they were just plain and simple low alcohol % beers refreshing to drink on a hot afternoon. (The Danish brewery Carlsberg did similar) The interest of a classical IPA was in the sort of subtlety that differentiates one simple pilsener from another simple pilsener.

It is the sort of beer that will immediately interest a sweaty and tired pilgrim when asking for una cerveza fría out there on the Meseta ...

Simple, refreshing, cool, and not "interesting".

As for the English Trappist Ale, I've yet to find it on sale anywhere, but I'm curious to sample it -- The American Trappist Spencer is good, both variants I've tasted, but too sweet & sugary for my own personal preference. I generally like my beers and ales bitter.

When I was young, IPA (India Pale Ale) was just a term to designate Pale Ales brewed outside of England and Ireland, and yet good enough to be imported from abroad into these lands.
Not quite how the term began. Originally they were beers brewed in the UK and which were exported to India while it was still under British rule. Usually quite highly hopped because they had some preservative quality to help the beer survive the journey in decent condition.

I really do hope for everyone's sanity that this is not just another tedious "craft" pseudo-IPA ...

They were not "interesting", they were not "craft", they were just plain and simple low alcohol % beers refreshing to drink on a hot afternoon. (The Danish brewery Carlsberg did similar) The interest of a classical IPA was in the sort of subtlety that differentiates one simple pilsener from another simple pilsener.

It is the sort of beer that will immediately interest a sweaty and tired pilgrim when asking for una cerveza fría out there on the Meseta ...

Simple, refreshing, cool, and not "interesting".

As for the English Trappist Ale, I've yet to find it on sale anywhere, but I'm curious to sample it -- The American Trappist Spencer is good, both variants I've tasted, but too sweet & sugary for my own personal preference. I generally like my beers and ales bitter.
I cannot comment on the Walsingham beer, but I don't think the Trappists have produced another tedious "craft" pseudo-IPA :). I think our sanity is in good hands.

It is 7.4% according to the unopened bottle I am looking at - it was available at the film last night. There are quite a number of tasting reviews on youtube - you can find them easily, and in fact a few get a brief mention in the film as a sort of humorous diversion. It is dark brown/red "fruity, malty, sweet, biscuit, Christmas puddingy, malt loaf, Christmas cakey, very rich...." etc according to the pundits, who seem universally approving. A 'sipping beer'......so not at all the same as a cerveza on the meseta!

[Edited by me because I had been confused as to which beer might be a risk to our sanity ;)]

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't think it is another tedious "craft" pseudo-IPA :). I think our sanity is in good hands.

It is 7.4% according to the unopened bottle I am looking at - it was available at the film last night. There are quite a number of tasting reviews on youtube - you can find them easily, and in fact a few get a brief mention in the film as a sort of humorous diversion. It is dark brown/red "fruity, malty, sweet, biscuit, Christmas puddingy, malt loaf, Christmas cakey, very rich...." etc according to the pundits, who seem universally approving. A 'sipping beer'......so not at all the same as a cerveza on the meseta!

Wow that sounds much alike a St.Bernardus from Watou here.
Very promising.

@JabbaPapa if you like certain Trappists I think you will love the Belgian Orval . A perfect combination of bitter and fruity.

I'm not a beer drinker, but when I'm with family members and they're drinking a craft IPA, I usually try a sip just to learn a little about the taste. My opinion is that they mostly remind me of pine needles mixed with grapefruit. 😛

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Today I arrived in one of my favourite cities in Italy, Palermo, ready to start a solo walk across Sicily on the Magna Via Francigena tomorrow! It’s a ~185km trail from Palermo to Agrigento that I...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.