• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Want to buy a nice albergue?

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Mundicamino reports that the owner of 'La Hutte', the first hostel opened in Atapuerca, plans to put it on sale, as well as rural tourism center annexed after ten years as an entrepreneur and hospitalero.
Jacqueline Vezi is already thinking about retirement. She was a pioneer in opening a hostel for pilgrims in Atapuerca, 'La Hutte' and rural tourism center has decided to close attached after ten years dedicated to service, first as a pilgrim and then as an entrepreneur.
"If I can sell, sell. Now there is much competition and it is very difficult. Here there are three or four winter months when we do nothing, but the costs remain. Winter is very hard, "She says with resignation. Their children do not want to continue with the school management of rural tourism and pilgrims' hostel that her parents launched a decade ago, when the pilgrims slept in the open in a district that was then beginning to spread internationally the importance of its archaeological sites.
"I am at an age to think about retirement, I'm tired, so the solution is to sell," says Jacqueline, who acknowledges that future Visitor Reception Center at Atapuerca and the Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos represent a hope for many employers in the area, and perhaps not for her.
The original enthusiasm for the project is worn, although there is the memory. "I had three times the French Way and find this house, I said, something can be done with it. It was purchased and completely changed ".
Together with her partner they decided to open a shelter for pilgrims and now has capacity for 18 people in bunk beds in a unit once used for farming and ranching. "The pilgrims did not have to sleep in Atapuerca, they did in the street, under trees, because the only place where there was shelter Olmos de Atapuerca, was a municipal, but had to depart. Many preferred to spend the night outside to walk more miles, "she recalls.
The following year she created a rural tourism center with eight rooms and canteen, which was also the first infrastructure of this enclave catering Burgos. "There were two restaurants but nothing to stay, and it came very well to people," he said, adding that he regretted never change his work as a French teacher in the capital of Burgos by a full-time to his new task of corporate and hospitable.
"Knowing the needs of pilgrims and I was perfectly done, knew he could not continue to give and attend this class. It was impossible, can not be in two places at once. He was also a private academy, and had to quit, "he explains.
Many pilgrims feel his departure for the hospitality offered them from massaging their aching feet after many hours of effort to clean up the blisters. "I've never gotten into the privacy of anyone. If they have wanted to tell his life was his decision, but I've never bothered with intrusive questioning. I think I've been very respectful, "Jacqueline summarizes its attitude in this time of work, which, he says, this has been the worst winter. "It had not happened, was no one, not pilgrims or tourists. You see few people, and who comes to visit the sites brings the thermos and sandwiches. The crisis looks, feels, is there. "
So confident that "spike" the situation with the arrival of pilgrims this Holy Year, and grant them "a little oxygen," because "the last Jacobean also said they would come many did not, were even less than the previous year. "
Because, in his view, the traditional route between San Juan de Ortega and Atapuerca "is not sufficiently well publicized." He believes that "propaganda is poorly made or poorly focused." "The people of this area we feel and suffer every day," laments almost dejected.
Jacqueline will continue in her post this Jacobean, but next year may be another face and other hands those who attend to the pilgrims, who will certainly not forget the French who arrived in Atapuerca to make them walk a little easier.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, this sounds really sad. The problem with Atapuerca as I recall is that there is a newer and perfectly nice albergue on the way in or very slightly nearer to the route than this albergue I forget the details exactly....
I imagine it must be very hard these days to have an albergue given the huge competition and it's not exactly as if you can charge a lot for the night...
Atapuerca is certainly one of the more interesting places to stop though - wish my spanish was better and I could've have enjoyed their little archaeology exhibit a lot more!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
local rumor has it the shiny new Albergue de los Templarios on the way into Terradillos de los Templarios is also for sale. It´s only been open for two years, has solar hot water, restaurant, swimming pool, etc. Just needs a bit of character, really...

Reb.

If only I were independently wealthy...... :)

We stayed in that albergue 3 years ago. They have 4 bed accommodation with en suite, 8 and 10 bed and 20 bed dorms. Prices were structured so we stayed in the 4 bed room for 10 euro.
They also had a canteen and internet facilities.
How about forming a syndicate?

Attachments

• Terradilos albergue.jpg
    Terradilos albergue.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 11,248
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just out of curiosity, how much is it for sale for? I liked that little town, and it's close enough to Sahagun and other cities....again, I have no money, but I am just curious, so if I win the lottery or something, I can look into it! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mermaid Lilly and her friend and I have been discussing this... we'd love to find such a place and go in with some folks - anxious to see what the price is!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll come and be your hospitalera voluntaria!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So, which albergue are people discussing? The one in Terradillos or the one in Atapuerca? I'd be interested if we're talking about some kind of group coming together and buying jointly, though I imagine it would be a lengthy process involving lawyers, contracts, etc. I'm getting close to retirement and what better way to spend free time?!

Maybe someone who has been to Atapuerca more recently can confirm or correct me, but I remember this albergue as being dark and uninviting, with one small room for congregating, which I think was the same room as the room where you checked in. I don't see any pictures of the albergue on the web listing, but maybe I missed them.

Is the one in Terradillos the one you see from afar with ALBERGUE written on its roof, or is that somewhere back, like near Belorado or something?

Looking forward to hearing more! Laurie

The real estate biz in Palencia is WAY different from what you´re used to!
The man who owns the Terradillos built it not as a heartfelt support for pilgrims, but as a way to make money. And as anyone around here could´ve told him, pilgrims don´t spend a lot of money, no matter what the pilgrims say or think. Running albergues is a great way to go broke fast!

I can get a native Spaniard to make inquiries on prices, because if I do it, with my accent and bad grammar, I will be immediately pegged as a rich foreigner and quoted an outrageous sum. I don´t want to go to this trouble if you guys are just joshing around, dreaming the dream. Buying a place here and getting it up and running and legal is a very long and arduous process, especially if you´re doing it from several different parts of the globe!

But if you ARE serious, I see the need for a collective non-profit that can make use of Spanish tax breaks and legalities for non-profit entitites. Laurie is the lawyer here, I am the person on the ground (I live 3 km. from the Terradillos albergue); if you guys are ready to put your money where your mouth is, someone tell me. I´ve got 28 hospitaleros voluntarios here who say they´re willing to step up...

Reb.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'd definitely be interested "depending" on the place, the price, and how many people want to go in. But like Falcon, I'm a bit put off by the ambiguity when it comes to price. I mean, it would make a HUGE difference in my decision if it were 75K Euros or 500K Euros. I don't know about Spain, but property in the USA is extremely depressed right now and continuing to fall. Houses here in Desert Hot Springs that were selling for $375,000 three years ago are sitting for sale with no buyers in the $70,000 range.

To me, it would make more sense for those who ARE interested in such an endeavor to form a Yahoo Group where certain details could be discussed; things like "how much time and/or money and/or skill could each person invest" and "what are the legalities of such an endeavor in Spain when pursued by people of varying nationalities?"

It would also be good to discuss with folks like Rebecca, who have "been there" the issues of starting and running a resting place for pilgrims.

And THEN, after a lot more discussion, we could assess whether this is something worth looking into... or if it's just a pilgrim pipe dream ! :lol:

that's my 2 cents...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here is a bit more information about the Terradillos albergue:

http://www.redalberguessantiago.com/documents/277.html

Just from looking at the pictures, it seems that this place was purpose built as an albergue. From the pictures, it also looks to me that they used materials of decent quality. Are there people on the forum who have slept here who can comment on any aspect of its suitability as an albergue?

It looks like their own website has been disconnected. http://www.terradillos-jdmolay.com/

And since I was curious about the name of the albergue, "Jacques de Molay," I did a little searching to discover that it's named after the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar.

I have followed Rebekah's story from afar for years now and have long dreamed about setting up life in Spain. I realize that for me, that is not in the cards, but an investment in a property that I could go to and work on and was dedicated to for several months a year is a real possibility. I'm not interested in making money (as long as my state pension system doesn't collapse :) ) but in doing something for the Camino and having some fun at the same time -- work doesn't bother me either.

Rebekah, do you think the location is a good one? 3 km from you would be fabulous, but it's also 3 km from where the Italians are building another (50 bed??) albergue, plus the one in San Nicolas, and the small one in Ledigos.

I know nothing about Spanish law, but Rebekah's suggestion that we could form a non-profit to buy it is intriguing. I also agree with Annie that we should set up some special web group to discuss this long distance, but I think airing it out here in the forum is good right now because it may pique others' interest and we may also get a lot of good advice.

To be continued..... I hope! Laurie

Hey, Jeff,
Thanks for that clarification. So there are two albergues in Terradillos? I had remembered having breakfast in an albergue in Terradillos years ago, and I would've sworn that the albergue was in town, but I chalked it up to aging memory. So I must have had breakfast in the in-town albergue, and it's this new on the edge of town albergue that's for sale. I apologize to everyone for having gotten this all messed up.

Since my own fairly strong personal preference as a walker is that I would rather stay in town or totally out in the boonies, but not on the edge of town, I think this isn't the albergue for me. But I will keep looking for posts here, because I would seriously consider the opportunity to become a part owner or part donor if the place were right.

Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Heavens. Like most things in small-town Spain, this is complicated.
Yes, there are two albergues in Terradillos. The DeMolay is the older, more established one in town, but it´s only been there for 8 or 10 years max. The Templarios is the newer one, custom-built with high-tech everything a couple of years ago. The newer one was built by someone who wanted to make money, and run by someone who´d left DeMolay under a cloud of rancor.

Since the new place opened the marketing and competition between the two have been almost comical to watch. Everyone agrees that high season, there´s plenty enough pilgrim traffic to go around. But Holy Year expectations were high, and traffic out here has not been heavy enough to meet the outlay. I know the dueños of both places are worn-out, burned-out, peevish, and supposedly ready to hear offers. (I have my doubts about the DeMolay people, though... they live next door!)
I just don´t know how realistic either of them are about the value of their properties. But people will surprise you. I got my place for a song. But that was just the start of the symphony!

Like has been said above, there are dozens of aspects to this. Are you guys for real?
..and for those like Laurie there are other "opportunities" around here. The Italian confraternity is up against it, and could really use an "angel.." And Moratinos looks like it´s on the rise.

I just spent five weeks walking through dead and dying French villages on the Vezelay route. My brother and I speculated at each closed bar and restaurant on buying one and starting a killer business that would blow the socks off the French. However, upon further contemplation, it occurred to us that families that may have owned the property and business for centuries and knew everyone in town had closed the doors. Is there really a business model for outsiders to suddenly make a success where failure has prevailed?

An excess of hubris, I think.

If the owners of the new solar powered albergue in Terradillos are ready to bail out, what would a new owner do to change the market? I will guarantee you (pretty much) that absentee owners will get no financial return on their investment, and no return of the capital investment until the place is sold to the next hopeful owner/operator.

On the other hand, we encountered quite a few British ex-patriots along the Creuse river valley that had opened gites and restaurants. They did not make much money, but they preferred the life style to England. They were "succeeding" where the French had failed, in part by redefining the word success. It was pretty much the only place on the route where we heard any English spoken!

Falcon,

I don't believe anyone would invest with the idea of making money. At least I wouldn't. Breaking even or a slight loss would be ok with me. I just want to feel like I am pphysically a part of the Camino. I am certain that everybody who has chimed in is already emotionally attached.

Admittedly, it is a little absurd to own a piece of an alberque. Just about as ridiculous as walking 4 weeks with a backpack, or riding 2 weeks on a bicycle.

I want to hear a price.

I am still "in".

Anybody want to be added to the list????
Anniesantiago
Peregrina2000
Jeff001
Elzi
Sillydoll
Larryflo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am definitely interested in this idea. Falcon, I think you're being a little tough on us, I don't think any of us presumes to know how to make money on an albergue, but I also don't think we're looking at this as a money making investment. I think what we're talking about is whether, with the initial purchase made, the albergue would generate enough revenue to pay the bills.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if there's a way that the American Friends would want to be involved. If there are enough of us who want to fund the purchase of an albergue, would the American Friends want to be involved in the maintenance, staffing, etc? I'm not trying to sluff responsibility off, just wondering whether there would be an advantage to having institutional participation of some sort. And since the American Friends is already a nonprofit corporation (I assume) under US law, that might facilitate things as well.

I have no contacts with the group, do any of you? I do know, though, that there are lots of North American pilgrims who have wondered aloud why we can't emulate our British friends and run an albergue. Maybe this is a way to do that.

Laurie

Yes, I'd like to be added to the list please. I don't think there'd be any financial profit in it, but I am sure we'd gain a lot in other ways.
Sandra :arrow:

oowee, Laurie, you´ve picked a real tarbaby there.
The idea of an "American albergue"´s been kicking around that group since it was founded, but so far, well. Lots of help has been given to Don Blas down in Fuenterroble de Salvatierra (the one with the controversial US flag flying) and lots of hospitaleros have been trained.

I´ll stop there, with the positives!
Reb.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Rebecah,

Having any kind of price, even for "rich" Americans, could give us some starting point to work on and get a bit more serious.

At this point, I believe this project should be open to all nationalities

Anybody want to be added to the list?

Annie Anniesantiago
Laurie Peregrina2000
Jeff Jeff001
Elzie Elzi
Sil Sillydoll
Larry Larryflo
Sandra Sansthing

here's some other options for you:

in Herrerias - ideal for albergue, it says, tho calling it a 'casa' seems a bit of artistic licence. Gives asking price, tho note it's been on the market for a year now.
http://forum.toprural.com/showthread.php?t=54148
http://leon.evisos.es/compra-venta-inmu ... l-albergue
http://www.tusanuncios.com/detalleanunc ... 349&tipo=5

in Sahagun (a 'solar' is a plot of land)
http://boards4.melodysoft.com/ElCaminod ... &ORDERBY=0

in Sarria http://casas.facilisimo.com/casa_en_ven ... 09864.html

this agent has 3 more 'ideal for albergue' houses, in Ambasmestas, O Pino, Vega de Valcarce http://inmobiliario.yakaz.es/albergue-camino-santiago

Gives you some prices to go on, tho these are for the most people who are using the Camino as a selling point (how we can find a mug who'll take on these dilapidated houses? I know, let's market it as 'ideal for albergue')

finally, a more historic building from a couple of years ago in Torres del Rio
http://www.diariodenavarra.es/20080916/ ... rraestella

The Atapuerca one dates from April, by the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can count me in for discussing this....who knows, I might be able to find some money to invest in something like an albergue. I don't go into this lightly either. I understand how hard the work is and how these places don't make a profit. I get that. I have no grand fantasies. It just would be cool to be able to give back to the Camino what has been given to me.

So, add me to the list. I can set up a Google Group if people want to take this off the forum to discuss.

Thanks!
Heather

I'm interested ..... depending on price. Please add me to the list. Would be a great project. I have looked at , taken photos of and dreamed of buying something in Spain, even neglected railway houses, to set up an albergue.

.... but I'm not an American. Could be worth asking the CSJ for advice/help/info. They have done it.

CaroleH

Me too. Have been interested and longing for the right circumstances to spend more time in Spain since 1987.
Looking forward to the discussion.

lynne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, this is starting to get interesting. As soon as we get a price, we will probably have to get ourselves a place to talk, and get a little familiar with each other. Then, decide how to carry on.
Anybody know where we can go, that would be passworded just for us, and free?

Annie Anniesantiago
Laurie Peregrina2000
Jeff Jeff001
Elzi Elzi
Sil Sillydoll
Larry Larryflo
Sandra Sansthing
Heather Renegadepilgrim
CaroleH CaroleH
Lynne Lynnejohn

I started the ball rolling today, to find out a price on the Terradillos property. I will let you all know ASAP, once I learn anything. There are also a couple of likely looking places for sale in Bercianos, a town that´s sometimes a real bottleneck.

Whilst someone is setting up a private corner for discussion, there are a few things to begin thinking about:

Is your heart set on any particular part of the camino?
How much time and effort are you willing to dedicate to this place? What do you hope to get out of it?
Is any of us a European? Does any of us know anything about European property and civil law?
Do you know anything of carpentry, plumbing, building? How flexible are you therein?
How do you envision yourself participating? What is your vision?
Can you live with a large degree of daily chaos and uncertainty? How about boredom?
How is your Spanish language skill?
Are you very very patient? Can you handle repeated disappointments?

Let´s talk.
Reb.

Thanks Rebecca!!! You rock!!!

I really am looking forward to getting this conversation started. I don't know where it will lead, but it's good to start talking. I guess this is what I would call a group discernment process.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rebekah,

You are great. I am really looking forward to meeting you. Your questions are a thought provoking starting point. Perhaps we should just start throwing out answers, and see what happens. For me, I am looking at it as FUN. I am willing do do physical work. I can do plumbing and electrical. I would probably only be able to devote 2 two week periods a year in Spain. I have no illusion to making any money, and even perhaps loosing a little. A European partner would be great. I wonder if someone knows Ivar well enough to ask him if he would be interested.

I think it is still a good idea to toss our thoughts on this Yahoo forum so that more people would have the opportunity to enjoin. I am looking in to a free private place where we can communicate.

Ok, I started to make us a Yahoo group and hit a snag. I need a name for the group. All suggestions are welcome. Hopefully someone will find something better than "Peregrino Hostle Group"

larryflo said:
Ok, I started to make us a Yahoo group and hit a snag. I need a name for the group. All suggestions are welcome. Hopefully someone will find something better than "Peregrino Hostle Group"

How about Camino Albergue Co-Op? Essentially that's what we are talking about creating. A co-op albergue. It's a thought....

€60,-
In answer to Reb's questions:

Is your heart set on any particular part of the camino? No, not particularly

How much time and effort are you willing to dedicate to this place? What do you hope to get out of it? I could legally stay there only 3 months each year, but perhaps get a VISA for longer periods.

Is any of us a European? Does any of us know anything about European property and civil law? No and No, although my grandparents were from the Azores... don't know if that helps.

Do you know anything of carpentry, plumbing, building? How flexible are you therein? I've worked as a helper to a contractor, so have done a bit of each. I can take instruction and am not afraid of work.

How do you envision yourself participating? What is your vision?
I have a little cash to contribute now, and perhaps more a few years down the road. I can donate plenty of my time, however, and my labor.

Can you live with a large degree of daily chaos and uncertainty? How about boredom?
The chaos might kill me, but the boredom would be heaven!

How is your Spanish language skill? I think it is average, although the locals keep telling me it is very good! I continue to study every day.

Are you very very patient? No, not at all.

Can you handle repeated disappointments? I generally look at "disappointments" as opportunities for change, so I'd say yes to this.

Hello all of you !
Hello Anniesantiago, Laurie Peregrina2000, Jeff001, Elzi, Sillydoll, Larryflo, Sandra Sansthing, Heather Renegadepilgrim, CaroleH, Lynnejohn !

Well, I would love to join in !
But I do have very little money reserves (working in children's theatre makes you happy but not rich!) - all would depend on how much is needed.
Nevertheless, in terms of time and energy, I have enough - and even plenty of it. (and "practical" skills as well)

My Spanish is far from being perfect, but correct - and I continue to work on it (plans to move to Spain for some time to approve it)

I am European - if this might be of any help.

And to continue on Rebekah's list : I am used to chaos; am not afraid of boredom; can be patient and for the repeated disappointments, well they are part of life - after the downs come the ups...

Greetings,

FatmaG

PS I am not attached to a special place neither (just really fond of "mountains" I found out recently). As far as the albergue in Terradillos is concerned : to make it a charming place, well we will need some creativity.... but this might be the challenge !

Hi, everyone,

Rebekah, thanks for all the background info, the challenging questions for us to ponder, and the on the ground assistance in finding out the asking price of the property in Terradillos.

You've given us a lot to chew on, and I look forward to getting a group up and running. I am not the high tech one in the group, so I'll wait to get some marching orders on how to get on a yahoo or google group.

Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok for what it (I'm!!) worth, I'm interested. Dunno bout $$ but as a minor member...???

Chaos...no problem!
Patience...no problem!
Espanol...un poco problem!!
Allemain..no problem
Potential time...only some problems!

My life has just taken a dramatic sea change. I quit my job on Friday (this has been brewing for years!) and started a new one...Sunday. But, this has more, WAY more options for time off and that kinda thing. RIch..Oh Lord NO! But flexible. SO, Larry, if you'd be so kind as to add me to the list Deo Gracias!

I can think of nothing at the moment that would give me more pleasure (besides the impending grandbaby!) than to be able to give to those making their way on pilgrimage.

Karin

I believe everyone will come to the table with a different motivation and ability. Twenty seems a good number to start getting more serious. Again, for now let's leave this thing here on this Yahoo forum. Perhaps it will attract more attention.

Annie Anniesantiago
Laurie Peregrina2000
Jeff Jeff001
Elzi Elzi
Sil Sillydoll
Larry Larryflo
Sandra Sansthing
Heather Renegadepilgrim
CaroleH CaroleH
Lynne Lynnejohn
Karlin Ksam

For those who are part of the group or who would like to be part of the group, would you please send me your email address and real name.

If you would go to a post and click on the little symbol to the right of the screen with the letters "pm", it will go directly to me. Then, I can start up our new board and inform you when it is established.

I think this Yahoo board will not permit email adresses for public viewing.

€60,-
This is something that I have been thinking about for years. Mermaid Lilli and I discuss it on a regular basis but one of the stumbling blocks seems to be the 90 day limit for Americans to be able to stay in Europe.
I volunteered at L'Esprit du Chemin for 2 weeks in Aug/Sept 2009 and I had no idea how much work was involved with running an albergue. I woke at 5:30 to 6:00 (depending on whether I was the one to fetch the bread for breakfast and lunches from the bakery) and fell into bed at about 10:00 to 10:30 every night. I do think that the Dutch albergue may have done more work than most (ie scrubbing all the walls of every bathroom every day) but it was still a very rewarding experience.
I am off to buy a lottery ticket now to help finance this : ) Wish me luck!

OK group. I have opened a Yahoo Group. The name is "caminoalbergueventure". The home page is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/caminoalbergueventure. The group email is "caminoalbergueventure@yahoogroups.com.

If you would go there and try to sign in, and post a message like I did, with your name in the subject line. Make sure to put your email address in it. I think that once you do it, then I have to give permission for you to be enrolled. Then, only you will be able to log on.

This might take some time to figure out so be patient with me.

Larry

A few people, me included, have said, "I only have a small amount of money" but remember, if there are a LOT of us with "a small amount" that could add up to "enough!" :lol:

Well done Larry . . . I'll have a go.

Meanwhile anticipation and excitement builds. You can add my husband, Ian to the list. He has an EEC passport and can speak Spanish, tho gets rusty with the years. Doubt if his Spanish would be 'up there' for legal jargon.
Cheers Carole

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Those with a real interest in enjoining, sign in to the caminoalbergueventure board. So far there are 6 of us. And, Rebekah, you are the most important member of the new group. Sign in.

Annie Anniesantiago
Laurie Peregrina2000
Jeff Jeff001
Elzi Elzi
Sil Sillydoll
Larry Larryflo
Sandra Sansthing
Heather Renegadepilgrim
CaroleH CaroleH
Lynne Lynnejohn
Karlin Ksam
Ian Caroleh husband
Caminando
artemis

After being approved for the Yahoo Grooup, please post a note with some particulars in it for all to see. Only members will be able to see anything. Your real name would be helpful.

I'll try and sign in to the group this evening when I get home. Being somewhat technologically challenged and not having a Yahoo account I need to be able to concentrate on what I'm doing! I'm still very interested, European (English) although I live in Brazil. Not well off but semi-retired and with time to spare.
Sandra :arrow:

€60,-
FatmaG,

If the Terradillos Albergue were purchased by one individual who may need a manager for it would you consider it?
In 2009 during my camino, I saw this Alburgue along the way from the out side. In the near future, I will be back at the camino and will stop at Terradillos to ask questions. I am bilingual tambien. If you need to contact me directly call (317) 243-6563 or email me on jose.cobian@att.net

If anybody is having trouble getting on to the Yahoo Group, please notify me on this board. Some on this list have not appeared on the Yahoo Group.

Jeff Jeff001
Elzi Elzi
Sil Sillydoll
Larry Larryflo
Sandra Sansthing
Heather Renegadepilgrim
CaroleH CaroleH
Lynne Lynnejohn
Karlin Ksam
Ian Caroleh husband
Caminando
artemis
FatmaG

The Canadian Company of Pilgrims is currently focussing on helping the Confraternity with the renovation and expansion of the albergue in Miraz, and I have heard it said that the Québec group is beginning its own discussions. Staffing and operating an albergue from a continent away is much more challenging than doing so from Belgium or the UK!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A little background...American Pilgrims was actually founded, in part, to consider hosting an albergue, in 2000. A group of five wanted to pool time, effort, etc. towards that end. Since that time, considerable time and effort was put into educating ourselves as to just what albergue stewardship would mean. I'm no longer involved in the decision making part of that group, but what was decided was that hospitalero training was very important.

One can't just buy a place and not have the means to maintain it...meaning all the hospitalero stuff from cleaning to repairs, to dealing with emergencies, etc. Rebekah can well say about Spanish beaurocracy, crooked contractors, being a part of the community, off months, all kinds of pilgrims, and on and on. She knows first hand about promises to help that don't come through. She also knows the joys of good conversation around the table and the comraderie of meeting new friends.....and the clean up and the lonliness when none are around, and the driving for miles for supplies, and boy Reb, sorry for speaking for you.

I'd be there in a heartbeat....

Also, just reading this forum brings back a deja vu of years ago and yahoo groups forums, etc. Circumstances change, and roll back again. I'm very interested, and very cautious....

I think the purchse of an Albergue is a very interesting idea. It also appears to have stimulated a lot of people on the site. Out side of the price, I believe there are a lot of other issues to consider (some mentioned others still to be identified.

A good place to start might be with some of the organizations and groups that support the Camino and are addressing these issues everday. I noticed there was an email from the American Pilgrim organizations but getting feedback from French/Spanish/UK and other Camino supporting organizations might be helpful in moving forward if this idea gets some legs.

I have signed up for the group and am willing to support it's actions regarding this venture.

Joe Flavin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
omg....i'm not the only one....

where can I join in.....
been sick from strees for a while
and cant seem to get quite rid of it....
decided to sell my apartment quit my job
and join the camino
without any bills or worries......lol

my friends think i'm a bit drastic but admire my descision
think some are a little jeaulous actually...:)

starting end of february 2011 from Geneva
and straight to santiago whenever i get there
dont really have a timelimit to my walk
so i'm quite priviliged

tired of bigcitylife (Copenhagen, Denmark)
so maybe handling an alberge could be just me....?
would be so great to do it with others with the same idea
and offcourse not to make money

been living in collectives before
and to join you pay an amount
and if you want to leave you sell to a new person
which the rest approve off....

think it best to start with a few ppl (maybe 5-6)
easier to start up
and when its up and running
invite more in if we need money for repair
or decide to expand

should be possible to make a failure into success
if ppl feel for it and are willing to take the chance

been working in a youth hostel some years back
and know how much work it takes
prepared for that.....

I like the idea

Flemsy (53 - looking for a new life) :D

Just an FYI for everybody: Here´s the word from the owner of the big albergue in Terradillos: The place is not for sale. But the price? 2 million Euro! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

He´s a camino dreamer alright!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Picks self off floor . . . . speechless!!!!!!

€60,-
I always thought that Cacabelos could do with a second albergue! Anne

larryflo said:
Annie Anniesantiago
Laurie Peregrina2000
Jeff Jeff001
Elzi Elzi
Sil Sillydoll
Larry Larryflo
Sandra Sansthing
Heather Renegadepilgrim
CaroleH CaroleH
Lynne Lynnejohn
Karlin Ksam
Ian Caroleh husband
Caminando
artemis

After being approved for the Yahoo Grooup, please post a note with some particulars in it for all to see. Only members will be able to see anything. Your real name would be helpful.

I wish you all well in this wonderful project. It sounds fantastic. I see my username appears on the list above, but I don't know how it got there! I'm not in a position to get involved.

Good luck to you all - this could be great!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Let me answer Rebekah's very clever questions one by one. There seen to have been a decline in our wanting to put up an albergue, so let me enter the stage:

Rebekah Scott said:
Is your heart set on any particular part of the camino?: NO

How much time and effort are you willing to dedicate to this place? AS MUCH AS I WANT : I AM RETIRED WITH A STEADY PENSION EACH MONTH

What do you hope to get out of it? MEANINGFUL WORK AND A RETURN FOR MY OWN CAMINO EXPERIENCE EYE OPENING

Is any of us a European? Does any of us know anything about European property and civil law? YES, EUROPEAN. NO, WE AS A GROUP, WILL NEED A (KEEN AND POSITIVE) LAWYER TO DO THE JOB

Do you know anything of carpentry, plumbing, building? How flexible are you therein? yes; i AM A HANDYMAN: i HAVE BUILT 3 HOUSES IN MY LIFE. ROCK/STONE FUNDAMENT, CARPENTRY, SOME ELECTRICS, PAINTING, SOME PLUMBING, ROOF TILING

How do you envision yourself participating? What is your vision? BEING THERE WORKING WHEN NEEDED. I AM A PENSIONER; i DO NOT HAVE ANY TIME LIMITS.

Can you live with a large degree of daily chaos and uncertainty? YES. BEEN MARRIED TWICE.

How about boredom? IN A BUILDING/ RUNNING AND ALBERGUE PROJECT? NOT MUCH BOREDOM, LIKELY.

How is your Spanish language skill? I CAN ORDER FOOD, BEDROOM, WINE, BEER AND ALL THE REST I NEED AND I AM WORKING ON THE LANGUAGE SKILLS.

Are you very very patient? MOSTLY. MOST OF ALL I HAVE A TEACHING MIND. EVERYTHING CAN BE LEARNT BY EVERYBODY.

Can you handle repeated disappointments? BEEN DIVORCED TWICE. SO I THINK SO.
----------

ADDONS:

I KNOW TO TO DESIGN AND RUN MULTILINGUAL WEBSITES: INTERNET MARKETING, BOOKINGS, ELECTRONIC EBOOKS (income opportunity). AND SO ON.. DONE IT FOR YEARS.

MONEY: i COULD MAYBE ADD 10.00 EUROS TO THE PROJECT IF MY ARM WAS TWISTED.

I AM FLUENT IN NORWEGIAN, SWEDISH, DANISH, ENGLISH, AND GERMAN. I AM SOMEHOW ABLE TO HOLD A CONVERSATION IN ITALIAN AND SPaNISH AS WELL.

An important thing i; I have the time, I have a monthly income, I can do many things (Masonry, carpeting, painting, woodwork and tech stuff for the InterNet, as I hold (an old) Engineering Degree in Computer Science. It would be no cost for the Albergue, since my pension is coming in pleasantly each month.

On the other hand: With so many pilgrim owners, we would need to build an annex dormitory, don't you think, in order to be able to host a few real pilgrims now and then in addon to all the owners:?: :wink:

€46,-
FYI, this discussion about owning an albergue has moved to a yahoo group. Many of us are currently in the process of either walking the Camino again, training to become and/or serving as hospitaleros, or just sitting back, thinking about what the possibilities are. I thought the address for the yahoo group was posted here but if it isn't then PM me and I can get you the information. Thanks for the input Alex!

€46,-
Seen in Le Puy today in an estate agent's office window:

For sale: Farmhouse to renovate in St Privat d'Allier (near Le Puy, on the Chemin de St Jacques).

With/on 400 sq. metres of land. 65,500 euros.

Bear in mind the posts above about running an albergue.

Excellent post, reminding us of the Spanish situation where a perfectly viable refuge becomes unviable because of another place in the vicinity.

Not so fast... Sometimes a town that gets saturated easily can really use a second albergue, so pilgrims don´t have to shlep to the next town after the first place is filled up with Night-Runners...

Rebekah Scott said:
Not so fast... Sometimes a town that gets saturated easily can really use a second albergue, so pilgrims don´t have to shlep to the next town after the first place is filled up with Night-Runners...

Fair point - on my part I thought of a recent post which spoke of an albergue which was hurt because of one opening a few kms before it. And yes, it's a bummer if you arrive to be told "No room at the inn".

You know...many people - we take a few weeks a year to manage our "time frame" - and we invest..
but I would change the name, given the many sources of support...

Count me tentatively in - Sylvie from CANADA - retired, fluent in spanish french and english and doing the camino for the first time starting May 12th!
UNITED - we can do a heck of a lot!
Cheers - eh?!
Sylvie (AKA Aldy)

Does anyone know if La Hutte is still open in 2012? It was open last June when I poked my head in.

When we stayed at La Casa del Camino in Valverde de la Virgen, just outside Leon (4 kms after La Virgen del Camino), owner Pilar told us she was selling (due to a divorce). It's definately worth looking into, as it's only about 4 years old, in excellent condition and very conveniently situated. We have stayed there 3 times in the past 4 years. Anne

Eroski currently says:
The Hostels: La Casa del Camino
Address: The Janus Way, 2
Phone: 659 17 80 87
Property of hostel: Private
Institution or authority responsible for maintenance costs: Private
Person in charge of handling the hostel: Pilar Rodriguez
Comments: In March 2011 the lodge is rented or sold but not closed and still open.
The webpage link does not work.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What an interesting thread.

I have redeveloped quite a few properties over the years for profit and always trek the camino considering the plots, buildings, estate agents windows, musing on potential. I am not currently placed to join an alberque co-op but once retired it would be most diverting.

I don't know how other pilgrims go on but I tend to finish up in a nice hotel and ocean views would attract me, so probably somewhere around Finisterre would be perfect. A nice spot to wind down and wash properly. And pilgrims might not be so uncertain about their budget, a place to sit quietly and open a bottle, chat, reflect. None of which was obviously available when I was last there. It has to be a prime location.

Anyway, if you lot haven't knocked up an attractive final destination I might do it myself in ten years or so.

Good luck with your search.

I never noticed this topic because it's an old one. I started reading it line by line.
I read about Terradillos - Los Templarios. I stayed there recently. While I was reading, the price was still not known. It's a new alberque in fact constructed as a hotel. A huge bar and all facilities. I was also impressed that every room had his own bathroom. And this detail: every room has his own electricity fuse box. Very rare in Spain where average electricity installations are not so safe (like in the big albergue in Logroño where the outlet on the second floor was detached).
But no kitchen, most peregrinos want to cook their own meal. Much place around the alberque, but not pleasant to enjoy. Almost no plants planted. A swimming pool forbidden to use.
I was thinking that the demanded price would be 1.000.000 €. Even when the ground was probably bought very cheap, only surrounded by dry fields close to a village where 80 people are living.
I continue reading and I read later that the demanded price is double.....

I followed this thread with great interest back in 2010 and 2011 and wonder what happened with the Yahoo group that was formed at the time. Some of the original participants/posters are walking at the moment (Sil, Annie and Laurie) but can anyone else fill me in?

The possibility of being in some way a part of an albergue along one of the Caminos has been on my mind since I returned from my first in July 2010. This summer will be my 4th and my 2nd time as hospitalera and I am still interested, be it as (part)owner, (co)manager, hospitalera, in-house physio, whatever! I have Dutch and American nationalities, live in The Netherlands, speak English and Dutch fluently and decent Spanish and French. I could invest and would consider relocating but I do not want to go into such a project alone. Anyone interesting in further investigating this route?

Nothing happened...although the economy is worst now than it was a few years ago, so you might be able to get in on some cheap property along the Camino and start your own albergue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, if you are a retiree with 160,000 Euros (I think I'm off on the number, but it's a lot) to invest in a piece of property or a house then the Spanish government is welcoming you with open arms!

Yes, I remember reading about that Heather. I won't be "officially" retiring for another 10 years and do not have 160,000 euros to invest but I do not see this as a deterrent. Meaning that I am open to various scenarios. This is not something that I take lightly and would like to investigate options. I posted in order to see if there are others out there with the same (serious) interest. Apparently not!

p.s. and it doesn't have to be on the well-trodden Camino Francés

In theory it's a great idea. In reality it's like herding cats. ;)

I was just in Atapuerca less than a week ago. I liked the town, even recalled thinking that the combo San Juan de Ortega-Ages-Atapuerca needs more Albergue options, includidng more single room albergue options. Hospitaleros in Ages were offering pilgrims rides to Atapuerca as they could not accomodate people and or requests for single rooms. It does has the added attraction of tourism from the archaeological sites and it is becoming very popular eco-tourism area as well.

renegadepilgrim said:
Nothing happened...although the economy is worst now than it was a few years ago, so you might be able to get in on some cheap property along the Camino and start your own albergue.

Very evident as one walks by Cirueña-- hundreds and hundreds of condos and apartments just empty. A Ghost town. Very eerie.

Yep. I remember walking through there. Felt like a ghost town but with a nice golf course! :)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back