• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Want to walk 2-3 weeks into rome where to start ASAP

globalmark

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de santiago - walk and cycle to Finistere
want to walk to rome
Hi Guys
I want to walk last few weeks into rome 2 weeks maybe , where is good place to start , I know some passes in Alps closed so guess start in italy ?
where is good starting point in italy (easy to fly and bus to)
where can i get a Passport if dont start at beginning ??
and what sort of terrain and weather this time of year , want to leave ASAP in the UK now and will get flight and bus to near place to start .
did the whole camino de Santiago last october and november so have all gear, am fit and walk daily
thanks Mark

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the VF in summer 2015. 3 weeks out from Rome I was in Pontremoli. 2 weeks from Rome I was in San Miniato. San Miniato is easy to reach from the UK - fly to Florence or Pisa then local trains to San Miniato Fucecchio.

The Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome here in the UK issues credenziali to its members. Once in Italy they are available at many places along the way: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/credenziali/

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply
in the middle reading details about the route now . sounds good maybe start in SAN miniato or somewhere then siena (is that a week ) ?
and is there a starting hostel (Ostello) or whatever the italians ones are called to head for ?

PS thanks for link -

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for that
When i did the Camino de santiago we planned for a week first but i would like to leave here ASAP in next few days so good dont have to was time googling so thanks for that

Can i ask also the approx prices of the Pilgrims places in Rome as all through spain was like 5 - 10 15euro a night max , whats the approx in Italy , as looking at the accomodation list its got some high prices there

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Guys
I want to walk last few weeks into rome 2 weeks maybe , where is good place to start , I know some passes in Alps closed so guess start in italy ?
where can i get a Passport if dont start at beginning ??
and what sort of terrain and weather this time of year , want to leave ASAP in the UK now and will get flight and bus to near place to start .
did the whole camino de Santiago last october and november so have all gear, am fit and walk daily
thanks Mark
I walked London to Rome last year; 2 weeks out from Rome I was in Gambassi Terme (next night after San Miniato) & 3 weeks out I was in Sarzana (2 nights after Pontremoli).
Obviously @Bradypus covered ground more quickly than me but I was getting pretty tired by then with my total time on the trail being 93 days.
Virtually any starting point in Italy is readily accessed by public transport either singularly or by combination.
Can't help you with pilgrim accom as I utilise alternatives.
Happy planning & happy trails!
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for the reply and info - i would love to start at Canterbury but no time at moment and just need get away for a bit and love walking and camino i did last year ..93 days alot for sure . but bet you glad you did it ,
cheers Mark

Hi
Thanks for the reply and info - i would love to start at Canterbury but no time at moment and just need get away for a bit and love walking and camino i did last year ..93 days alot for sure . but bet you glad you did it ,
cheers Mark
It IS a very long time to be on the trail; I know how lucky I am to have been able to do it in one hit. And yes, you're right...I wouldn't have missed it or swapped it. Huge commitment & undertaking...hope you're able to do other stages another time.
Sempre avanti Mark! 😁
👣 🌏

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It IS a very long time to be on the trail; I know how lucky I am to have been able to do it in one hit. And yes, you're right...I wouldn't have missed it or swapped it. Huge commitment & undertaking...hope you're able to do other stages another time.

I took 66 days from Canterbury to Rome. My longest continuous walk both in distance and in time. My next longest was six weeks walking on Shikoku. For me there is definitely a different quality to a longer journey like those two which walking a shorter Camino lacks to some extent. By the time I reached Rome I had come to think of walking as my default state and there was something of a culture shock in returning to "normal" life which had become quite strange and unsettling in just two months absence.

Last edited:
Yes i can understand that , I have done the Annupurna circuit twice 10 years apart in Nepal (one my favorites - but always do in winter ) , macchu picchu and several others ..

is the path Busy or do you think empty are there many other people walking to rome this time year as also considering doing the coastal route portuguese from porto to Santiago even though weather probably worst ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
camino de santiago done to finistere - so one checked of list rest to do yet lol Thanks Mark
Yes i can understand that , I have done the Annupurna circuit twice 10 years apart in Nepal (one my favorites - but always do in winter ) , macchu picchu and several others ..

is the path Busy or do you think empty are there many other people walking to rome this time year as also considering doing the coastal route portuguese from porto to Santiago even though weather probably worst ?
In comparison to the CF, the VF could never be called busy. Numbers do pick up from Tuscany onwards but I can't speak for this time of year...I walked through the region in June. Until Tuscany, fellow walkers will be few & far between..if any at all.
I walked the CP Lisbon to SdC in 2015 including the coastal route from Porto. Once again, different time of year (spring/summer) but I think storms coming off the Atlantic could be an issue now.
And that List you mentioned; you've started down a slippery slope there...one ticked off, three more added is usually the way it goes. 😆
So many trails, so little time!
👣 🌏

Last edited:
I walked London to Rome last year; 2 weeks out from Rome I was in Gambassi Terme (next night after San Miniato) & 3 weeks out I was in Sarzana (2 nights after Pontremoli).
Obviously @Bradypus covered ground more quickly than me but I was getting pretty tired by then with my total time on the trail being 93 days.
Virtually any starting point in Italy is readily accessed by public transport either singularly or by combination.
Can't help you with pilgrim accom as I utilise alternatives.
Happy planning & happy trails!
👣 🌏
Accommodation and food is certainly more expensive in Italy than on the CF.
Also much fewer opportunities for both.
you need to be more self reliant than in Spain.

In comparison to the CF, the VF could never be called busy.
Figures for the VF are hard to find. But I did see one set recently. In 2018 there were about 10,000 Testimoniums given out in Rome. By comparison in the same year the Santiago pilgrim office handed out 186,199 Compostelas to people who walked the Camino Frances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Accommodation and food is certainly more expensive in Italy than on the CF.
Also much fewer opportunities for both.
you need to be more self reliant than in Spain.
Yes, definitely. More accom & food options from Tuscany but as it's a heavily touristed region, the prices reflect that market!
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Figures for the VF are hard to find. But I did see one set recently. In 2018 there were about 10,000 Testimoniums given out in Rome. By comparison in the same year the Santiago pilgrim office handed out 186,199 Compostelas to people who walked the Camino Frances.
I wonder how they tally the VF figures? When I collected my Testimonium (at the Visitor Centre, not in the Vatican) nothing was recorded, no details taken, no register filled in, not a question asked. Maybe they simply count how many they have left in the pile! 😄
Some info was collected by the Canterbury Cathedral Pilgrim Office on my departure but nil, zip, nada on arrival in Rome.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
We walked the vf last year in 3 stages. It took us 94 days walking and on day 80 we walked from gambassi terme to san gimignano, staying just beyond there. We walked the last 500 odd miles in october and hardly saw anyone. I would say though that the last 100km, apart from Sutri, were the least good bit to walk and our experience of arrival in Rome was that no one cares except you, it was nothing like arriving in Santiago, very underwhelming, but then they are inundated with visitors and we were just two more.If you only walk two weeks of the vf maybe start higher up in italy then bus to Rome when you run out of time, though beware of the Po valley during mozzie season! It was 10 days of being eaten alive.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
our experience of arrival in Rome was that no one cares except you, it was nothing like arriving in Santiago, very underwhelming, but then they are inundated with visitors and we were just two more.
That is the experience many people have. Rome does not make any big distinction between walking pilgrims (who are a tiny proportion) and the many pilgrims who arrive by plane or train or bus in vast numbers. The equating of pilgrimage so closely with walking is really mostly a Santiago issue.

Hi Mark
I'm rather impressed with Bradypus' effort 66 days!!!
Most I here walk Canterbury to Rome in around 90 days..

I am leaving Oz next week (Mar1) arrive Rome Mar 2.. (meeting another pilgrim walker from UK) and we are heading to Siena. I've done several in Spain and France too.... but this will be my taste of walking in Italy... I'll need a day to get over the travel.. so starting walk from there on March4 and we are allowing ourselves 15 or 16 days walking..
Depending how soon you leave and where you start from...you might be in front of us by the time we start.

All the best... if you're still tossing up exactly where you'll walk .. It might be easier and warmer for you to hop across to the 'portuguese'.

I'll attach a list I got from this forum (updated regularly by @caminka ... ) it lists the VF accommodation choices., prices and other details.. for my walk - I've printed out the last section only.... Siena to Rome.

Annie.

Attachments

• 2020 accommodation on VF to rome.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I wonder how they tally the VF figures? When I collected my Testimonium (at the Visitor Centre, not in the Vatican) nothing was recorded, no details taken, no register filled in, not a question asked. Maybe they simply count how many they have left in the pile! 😄
Some info was collected by the Canterbury Cathedral Pilgrim Office on my departure but nil, zip, nada on arrival in Rome.
👣 🌏
Same here Tassie Kaz, we received no interest at all in our loooong journey when we arrived in Rome! I wonder how many actually walked the whole way from Canterbury when we did it in 2018

Last edited:
Hi OZannie

thanks for that offer but i was intending to walk south so not start in rome that would be my finish point - i think rome if the official finish of that route isnt it ? not that it matters that much
thanks Mark

In comparison to the CF, the VF could never be called busy. Numbers do pick up from Tuscany onwards but I can't speak for this time of year...I walked through the region in June. Until Tuscany, fellow walkers will be few & far between..if any at all.
I walked the CP Lisbon to SdC in 2015 including the coastal route from Porto. Once again, different time of year (spring/summer) but I think storms coming off the Atlantic could be an issue now.
And that List you mentioned; you've started a slippery slope there...one ticked off, three more added is usually the way it goes. 😆
So many trails, so little time!
👣 🌏
A slippery slope indeed ...and so little time 😕

Hi OZannie

thanks for that offer but i was intending to walk south so not start in rome that would be my finish point - i think rome if the official finish of that route isnt it ? not that it matters that much
thanks Mark
You’ve misunderstood...
We are landing in Rome - but then take (bus or train ) north to Siena.
We will then ‘start’ our walk from Siena going ‘south ‘ to finish in Rome.
You are planning to go a little further north before walking to Rome though.

Have a look at that list - it shows distances too. It may help you decide for yourself where to start if you know what your average day kilometres will be.

Annie

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Italy is like everywhere else you need to know where to go for food. Ask the locals and shop at the open air markets. The variety of vegetables and salat sorts it’s mind blowing.
when in Siena there is a bar on the parallel street of their famous place they have a very small balcony where you can enjoy your coffee and overlook the place from above.
if you land in Pisa late book an accommodation close to the airport. It’s some distance to the city during the day there is a train .
if you like to walk the leaning tower up you can book tickets in advance so not to loose time Waiting in line. For foods in Pisa go across the river it’s cheaper there. Pisa is a student city and where you see a lot of locals eating there prices are ok.
if you walk parts on the Aurelia an pass San Piero a garedo. That’s where San Peter set foot in Italy. Pizzeria there is affordable and good.
people get friendlier when you get to Umbria.. in Rome the Roma card saves time and money, because again you du not have to wait in line. In case you go to the audience on Wednesday come early. Sometimes because of whether reason it’s moved to large audience hall. if you do not get in too late maybe you can wait where the palace connects to the audience hall and see the pope there walking . The Swiss grads realy try that everybody gets in if at all possible. The pope will bless your rosaries that you brought.

If you want to get walking right away, you could start immediately from Canterbury, walk to Calais, grab the train to Brussels or Paris and then fly into Pisa/Florence to jump over to the VF anywhere between Sarzana and San Miniato. Buon cammino

in the UK now and will get flight and bus to near place to start .
There's some advice on connections to different points of the VF on this site:
(Same site also has a page with some places that issue credentials).

From your breathless posts, I can't tell exactly where you're starting. If you're in Manchester, for example, you can fly direct to Pisa or Florence with Easyjet or Ryanair and then take a train to Lucca. That might be a suitable starting point for a three week walk to Rome (depending on your pace). If you have two weeks, you can still fly to Pisa or Florence but take the train instead to Siena.

Hi all
Raggy Thanks for tips
i am near gatwick - so pretty easy get a flight , but actually tossing up doing the portuguese one now as maybe easier and more people as need bit of social atmosphere as going by self this time ..
i travelled so much all over world so getting anywhere not really a issue

Hi Guys
Thanks for all help , decided to do portuguese one as north ital having Corona virus issues and might make travel more difficult plus i like the social atmosphere on more main route . but the italian one still on my list one day for sure .
Gotta go pack leave after tommorow .. thanks all Mark

Hi Mark
I'm rather impressed with Bradypus' effort 66 days!!!
Most I here walk Canterbury to Rome in around 90 days..

I am leaving Oz next week (Mar1) arrive Rome Mar 2.. (meeting another pilgrim walker from UK) and we are heading to Siena. I've done several in Spain and France too.... but this will be my taste of walking in Italy... I'll need a day to get over the travel.. so starting walk from there on March4 and we are allowing ourselves 15 or 16 days walking..
Depending how soon you leave and where you start from...you might be in front of us by the time we start.

All the best... if you're still tossing up exactly where you'll walk .. It might be easier and warmer for you to hop across to the 'portuguese'.

I'll attach a list I got from this forum (updated regularly by @caminka ... ) it lists the VF accommodation choices., prices and other details.. for my walk - I've printed out the last section only.... Siena to Rome.

Annie.
Great resources and ideas on this thread. Can’t wait to walk another route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.