• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Want to walk the Portuguese el Camino with me...

Buku butterfly

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring of 2016
Hi,
I am Suzette, age 50, a non smoker from Utah in the USA and walking solo, which doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.
I am hoping to commence walking around April 1st, 2017and be finished by May 5th, 2017. I have never been to Portugal before and this will be my first pilgrimage.
If possible to camp along the route, I am game to do some camping but If not then never mind.

Thanks and happy trails.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
I am Suzette, age 50, a non smoker from Utah in the USA and walking solo, which doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.
I am hoping to commence walking around April 1st, 2017and be finished by May 5th, 2017. I have never been to Portugal before and this will be my first pilgrimage.
If possible to camp along the route, I am game to do some camping but If not then never mind.

Olá Suzette !

Wild camping in forbidden in Portugal but there are some campings around.
I assume, due to the duration of your stay in Portugal that you intend to start in Lisbon.
I have camped a lot in Portugal and Spain but can tell you that lots of campingsites are far off the caminho.

I have been on the municipal campingsite in Vila Franca de Xira-look at a Portuguese map or in John Brierley's guide where that is ! To get there is a small detour from the waymarked path
Furthermore the municipal camping in Golegã which is almost in the center.
Other campings south of Porto are far away from the caminho, most of the time nearby the Atlantic coast.

Out of Porto, northwards along the coast between Matosinhos and Vila do Conde is the Orbitur camping in Angeiras and just two kms before Vila do Conde is another one where my wife and I stayed once.

If you choose for the coastal caminho from Porto you will meet some campings among others in Vila Praia de Ãncora-small detour-and in Spain in Mougas next to the albergue.
These are the camping sites we know and on most of them we stayed.
Santiago has a camping called Monte Gozo which is on the last stage of the camino Francès as I am informed. I have never been there.
Google "camping in Portugal and Galicia and you will find more information but you also will see that the caminho and camping do not really cope :confused:
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Hi,

Suzette, there are a few of us out here in the middle of nowhere (Utah) that have walked this and other Caminos if we can help please write. Camping out sound romantic but please consider that it also means more gear (weight)...... Ultreya.......... Willy/Utah/USA

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,

Hello Suzette and welcome to the Forum. I'm curious what made you choose the Portuguese as your first Camino? I'm also thinking of walking this way in the Spring but, as Willy pointed out, camping = carrying more weight so it's unlikely I'll camp.
All the best Michele :)

Hello Suzette and welcome to the Forum. I'm curious what made you choose the Portuguese as your first Camino? I'm also thinking of walking this way in the Spring but, as Willy pointed out, camping = carrying more weight so it's unlikely I'll camp.
All the best Michele :)
On t he caminho Português you can stay everywhere in albergues, hotels, hostals .
Big choice. No need for camping even if you could find the handfull campingsites there are .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Suzette, I hope you find someone to walk the Portuguese camino with if not, based on my own experience of walking solo, you might just find you love it! Also you might start on alone, but I have never made it past day one without meeting others and making my journey the richer for it!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back