• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wanted: a Camino walking partner for September (2012)

crisnelson

I would like to begin to walk the Camino in early-to-mid-September. As a single woman, I am heistant to walk it alone. I am looking for a (preferably female) partner to walk with me.

SInce my time is limited, I will begin in Leon or a little before that and end at Santiago - I have 2 or 2 1/2 weeks for the entire journey. I am on the quiet side w/ no bad habits. My pace will be moderate.

I will be flying Boston-Madrid, & spending a day or so in Madrid with a friend, getting over jet lag. THen I'll be off.

If you are interested in walking with me, please let me know by posting on this forum.

Thanks!
Cristina
Boston, MA, USA

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Cristina

It is good to be prepared and good luck finding a fellow pilgrim to walk with before you go. But if you don''t please don't worry within a very short time of walking out of Leon you will meet other people - promise!

Buen camino

John

thanks for the advice Johnnie. I'm prepared to go alone, of course, but I would much rather find a partner - any ideas on how to go about it? Yours was the only response to my original post. Thanks! Cristina

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Christina,
I think what Johnny meant was what we would ALL promise you.

:::hand over her heart::::

I promise you within two HOURS of arriving in SJPP you will have made a great group of friends to walk with. The place is TEEMING with pilgrims, all starting out the same day you are. Just say "Hi! Where are you from?" and before you know it, you'll be friends.

While hooking up ahead of time is certainly a possibility, it's more likely you'll meet someone interesting and fun the first night in your albergue, if you are open to that. If there is a possibility to have a meal in the albergue, do it. Dinners are served family style and you will meet your walking mates.

Remember, EVERYONE is in your boat.. a little nervous, a little scared, and except for maybe a few who have walked before... totally clueless. It's part of the adventure!

So.. my advice is to just go.
Go and be open.
You will make more friends than you can imagine from all over the world.
Some you will walk with a day.. some a week.. some maybe only an hour.
You will run into the same people over and over and it will be like long lost friends!

Don't worry.. just go.
It will be fine :)

I tried to PM you but it wouldn't work.

My group will be in SJPP on September 10 and you are more than welcome to tag along with us until you meet some folks. There will be 15 of us, all women except for Joe my friend. Ladies from USA, Canada, South Africa, and Australia.

We will be staying in Gite Compostelle.
We will walk to Orisson the first day, so you may want to make reservations there.

Cristina, normally I'd be cautious about saying "don't worry", but I'm confident in confirming what others have said. You'll have friends from day one, there will be plenty of pilgrims on the trail and in cafes and albergues. Just not a prob. Contracting in advance to walk with someone may work out well, but, really, I wouldn't. It's a bit like ordering your beer in advance when coming to Australia.

Annie and the others have said it all. Anyway, I'm excited for you.

Rob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I ran across this quote awhile back that should make your concern seem more manageable.

"The first few days on the trail are rather like speed dating!"

What an image :)

I would be leery about committing yourself to walking with a stranger. Not you for reasons of safety but for ones of sanity. I have friends i love who I couldn't travel with for over 24 hours without killing them and I have perfect strangers I've met and traveled with for weeks successfully. It's the luck of the draw and you might get lucky and find a great companion but, in my experience, you're more likely to find someone who annoys you like crazy and you'll be stuck with them. So, perhaps arrange to start/end the day with people but I wouldn't commit to actually *walking* with them. Good luck!

Hi Cristina,

you don't say exactly when you'll start walking but I'll be passing through León around September 14th if that's of any addition to you. Regardless of how you start out, you will find yourself meeting and seeing the same faces as you continue on the Camino. In my experience, pilgrims are a friendly bunch, united by the common experience of the Camino so you should have little trouble meeting someone while on the Camino.

Darran

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi.

I'll be walking alone and starting in SJJP in the beginning of September...not sure when I will hit Leon but I'm hoping to meet tons of people along the way. I'm an ex-pat in Dublin but lived in Boston for years before moving. Hopefully I'll meet you along the way!

JH

I would like to begin to walk the Camino in early-to-mid-September. As a single woman, I am heistant to walk it alone. I am looking for a (preferably female) partner to walk with me.

SInce my time is limited, I will begin in Leon or a little before that and end at Santiago - I have 2 or 2 1/2 weeks for the entire journey. I am on the quiet side w/ no bad habits. My pace will be moderate.

I will be flying Boston-Madrid, & spending a day or so in Madrid with a friend, getting over jet lag. THen I'll be off.

If you are interested in walking with me, please let me know by posting on this forum.

Thanks!
Cristina
Boston, MA, USA
Hi Cristina,
I share your dilemma. I also female, and am walking about 16 September possibly with my daughter for 2 weeks and husband is joining me then at POnferada. Daughter may not be able to walk with me in which case I would be interested in walking with you for the first 2 weeks. I too have no bad habits I know of, and look forward to a calm, thoughtful walk.
Are you interested?
Kind Regards,
Machteld

Hi Machteld,
Cristina posted in 2012...
Where are you starting from? If you are walking the Camino francés, I can assure you you will meet people from the first day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Machteld,
Cristina posted in 2012...
Where are you starting from? If you are walking the Camino francés, I can assure you you will meet people from the first day.
I wish the authors of these threads would write some kind of follow-up for those who had responded. I don't like dangling conversations : )

Cristina, in case you run across these responses, how was your camino?

I wish the authors of these threads would write some kind of follow-up for those who had responded. I don't like dangling conversations : ) Cristina, in case you run across these responses, how was your camino?
Yes I fully agree. How about this alternative: Ivar/Moderators how about some editing or cleaning out - especially posts relating to events that happened more than 3 or 5 years ago! It would free up extra space on the servers! Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back